‘Holy Grail’ of shipwrecks found off Colombian coast

rooster59

‘Holy Grail’ of shipwrecks found off Colombian coast

post-247607-0-55997700-1449356187_thumb.

Colombia claims to have discovered what’s been described as the ‘holy grail’ of shipwrecks of the coast of Cartagena.

The San Jose is documented has having been carrying one of the richest cargoes of treasure ever to have been lost at sea

It was sunk by a British warship in 1708 on its way from South America to Spain, ruled by King Philip V at the time. 600 lives were lost.

The treasure that went down with it is estimated to be worth between around three-and-a-half to fifteen-and-a-half billion euros.

“It constitutes one of the biggest – if not the biggest, as some say, discoveries of sunken treasure in the history of mankind, “
Colombia’s President Juan Manuel Santos told a press conference.

Its not exactly clear who is entitled to claim the treasure because of a long-running legal row.

A US salvage company SSA claims it located the area where the ship sank back in 1981 but an American court ruled in 2011 that the San Jose is the property of the Colombian government.

President Santos said his country would build a museum in Cartagena to display the treasure.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-06

I guess history and archaeology stretch the mental capacity of most expats in Thailand. If they could have squeezed into this story some bits about 300 year old beer on board or perhaps evidence of gorgeous girls entertaining ancient mariners then we could have more than just this post in reply. ha ha.

Well , if it has Gold & Silver , the US will certainly claim it because they are out of it. The criminal comex desperately needs Gold , so they can keep slamming the price.

Whatever happened to the Nazi Gold train in Poland?

I guess history and archaeology stretch the mental capacity of most expats in Thailand. If they could have squeezed into this story some bits about 300 year old beer on board or perhaps evidence of gorgeous girls entertaining ancient mariners then we could have more than just this post in reply. ha ha.

You are correct, most TV'rs are smug and reactionary And are only" experts" in LOS and most know little of that. Beside's on a sunday morning a 300 year old sunken Spanish galleon would surely stretch their chang or leo charged mental capacity.

This news seems to be about "treasure" (money) rather than historical/archaeological significance.

You want to talk "prices"?

Classic expat.

Edited by Enoon

A great find and I find it more exciting then most other items on TV today. Things might pick up later then we can expect " My dad went down on The Golden Ladyboy "

You are correct, most TV'rs are smug and reactionary And are only" experts" in LOS and most know little of that. Beside's on a sunday morning a 300 year old sunken Spanish galleon would surely stretch their chang or leo charged mental capacity.

'... most TV'rs are smug and reactionary ...' Something in which you seem to have some expertise.

Well , if it has Gold & Silver , the US will certainly claim it because they are out of it. The criminal comex desperately needs Gold , so they can keep slamming the price.

Whatever happened to the Nazi Gold train in Poland?

What happened to the Ukrainian gold?

This would be enough money to provide drinking water to the entire continent of Africa but no, instead it will sit in a museum.

You want to enable Africans to thrive and keep up their rampant breeding program? Drought is one of nature's control mechanisms.

And what world does NOT need is more asinine idiots who think the way you do. You would do well to open an office in Syria and hang a sign that says 'Love For Sale'