Many Thais weighed down by debts

Jonathan Fairfield

Many Thais weighed down by debts

BANGKOK:-- PEOPLE IN 40 provinces are burdened by off-system debts worth up to Bt1 billion, the Justice Ministry’s Legal Aid Centre for Debtors and Victims of Injustice revealed recently.

While most of these debtors in the North were duped into leasing farming tools, people in the Central and Northeast regions were preyed upon by "helmet gangster" moneylenders charging interest of 2 per cent per day or 20 per cent per month.

Debtors in the South were usually caught up in car-leasing schemes, the centre said.

Pol Lt-Colonel Wichai Suwanprasert, the centre's secretary, said on Wednesday that the number of complaints received by his office was increasing.

"Each year, we get more than 200 cases, and there are more than 500 debtors owing Bt1 billion scattered across 40 provinces," he said, adding that in Chaiyaphum province, it was found that a teacher was moonlighting as a moneylender and had up to 475 debtors.

He said that in one case, a person borrowed Bt100,000 and ended up having to pay back up to Bt300,000.

Most debtors in cities were vendors and salaried people, while those upcountry were mostly farmers, he said, adding that most of those who filed complaints had found themselves under debts of tens of thousands of baht.

Moneylenders advertised online, offering deals on car or tool leasing, while some even offered cash incentives, Wichai said. Debtors need to pay a monthly instalment for the goods, or else moneylenders repossess the goods and release them to others, he said, adding that such cases could fall within the frame of fraud.

As for the "helmet gangster" moneylenders, most plaintiffs were actually targeted by the same network, which has branches in several provinces, he said.

To deal with certain major "influential persons" to whom many people owed money, the centre has forwarded their information to the Department of Special Investigation and the police Central Investigation Bureau for investigation and further legal actions, Wichai said.

Panit Kerdchokchai, adviser to the Foundation of Virtuous Youth and also former director of the Stock Exchange of Thailand's Learning Centre, said that in 2010 personal debts in Thailand amounted to 63 per cent of gross domestic product and rose to 85.9 per cent in 2014.

As of late this year, this figure increased to 90 per cent, of which only about 6.5 per cent were "good debts", or loans taken to boost quality of life, such as home loans, she said.

She also cited a recent report by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development showing that the three factors for the creation of debt were: the lack of money-management skills; far too easy access to monetary services, especially for public-school teachers; and the lack of agencies to protect people from unscrupulous moneylenders.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-25

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not unique to LOS, but still depressing stats none the less.

Why cite 40 provinces (just because some of their residents have billion-baht debts). Are the other 36 too poor that their individuals' debts don't amount to much?

As for moneylenders advertising online - surely the smarts are already in place to close these guys down.

"Moneylenders advertised online, offering deals on car or tool leasing, while some even offered cash incentives, Wichai said. Debtors need to pay a monthly instalment for the goods, or else moneylenders repossess the goods and release them to others, he said, adding that such cases could fall within the frame of fraud."

​How's that then?

No wonder at all, that in the age of unbridled consumerism and easy money to everyone, and the

notion that the government will bail the poor out just like many government before this one, not to say

the attractions of cheap cars and unnecessary items for the masses, not hard to understand

where the debts are coming from.... plus the fact that Thai people are terrible with saving and managing

their monies, what do you expect than?

The banks are to blame for a lot of this, very hard for average Thai's to obtain a loan even if ever so small.

The ones who are benifiting off the poor are scum they know they can offer lower interest but greed is what it is all about.

A motorcycle taxi guy I know wanted to borrow money from a bank (any bank) to buy a second hand pickup truck so he could also offer services transporting goods and transport his welding gear (he is also a freelancer welder). Not one bank would lend him money despite evidence of daily/weekly deposits. I felt sorry for him and gave him an interest free loan myself. He has not once missed a payment - usually pays early - and only has three payments left to clear the debt. He has since increased his income streams and he claims his life is improving. If I had not stepped in he would have had no option but to go to a usurious money lender.

The banks are to blame for a lot of this, very hard for average Thai's to obtain a loan even if ever so small.

The ones who are benifiting off the poor are scum they know they can offer lower interest but greed is what it is all about.

I'm not qualified or inclined to assign "blame" on any issue, particularly one such as this. I do agree that greed and poor fiscal management has a part in this situation.

"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means".

​- Calvin Coolidge

Every village has a loan shark!

The case I know about is a grandfather that asked his daughter to loan 50,000 baht to a granddaughter (niece of aunt). No interest was mentioned but 2 months later the aunt's husband calls up the niece and says 10,000 baht per year interest. Called 'Dog Be Ear' or close to it. Extorsion is what I called it.

My father always taught me that if you can't afford it then go without. As a result I owe nobody anything, and even credit cards are only used as a means of payment and are paid off each month. However, with his mindset he refused to buy our house in London when I was a kid. It would have cost 10,000 pounds. Now it's worth 600,000.

All from the "populist" junk from Peau Thai gov with their fantasy schemes , first car and rice.the gullibility of uneducated masses

Don't forget the "first homes" and every schoolchild will get a tablet to work with at school.

I don't think it is gullability so much but more a case of a poor education chance from years ago and the lack of any viable alternative.

I'm not qualified or inclined to assign "blame" on any issue, particularly one such as this. I do agree that greed and poor fiscal management has a part in this situation.

"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means".

​- Calvin Coolidge

A man who lives within his means is lacking in imagination, Oscar Wilde

It seems like most countries in the world, the Thai people are no different.

In Thailand I have seen private lenders all over, just as in Canada we see the

Pay Day loan places and HFC Finance if it still exists, or other business in Canada

or USA that will lend money at huge rates. Wait! those real crooks are call credit card

companies. I forgot how much interest they all charge us.