How to change a holiday Avatar

NancyL

I had changed my long-time Avatar to a holiday-themed one and now have tried to change to a new one in recognition of the extreme honor of receiving the POTY crown. It's been about 12 hours, but nothing has changed. What am I doing wrong?

post-68373-0-39373600-1451569933_thumb.j

Congratulations, Nancy, Queen of POTY, on your coronation!

Currently, the Thaivisa server has the following images on file for you:

Profile image:

static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-68373.jpg?_r=1451546293

Avatar, derived from the profile image:

static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-thumb-68373.jpg?_r=1451546293

When a member changes her profile image, the old image gets overwritten by the new image and the related URLs remain unchanged.

To speed up the display of web pages on your screen, your ISP and/or some other intermediary along the way between the Thaivisa Server and your computer stores static images, ie images that remain unchanged for a long time such as avatars, company logos, etc. This is called caching, from the French verb cacher (to hide), and they refresh their cache periodically, perhaps at irregular intervals and not all of it at the same time. Also your own computer may cache such images.

If the caching is done on your computer, you can delete the cache or press Ctrl+F5 on a web page to refresh the cached images for that page. If the caching is done elsewhere, there is nothing the computer user can do to speed up the refreshing, as far as I know.

In my case, I currently see your new image (crowned cat) as your profile image, and your old image (cat singing "O Christmas tree") as your avatar. Other readers, using other ISPs, may see it differently, and it can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks for some people to see the new image both as your profile photo and as your avatar. This is awkward when one wants to change the avatar quickly for a festive occasion or the celebration of a special event.

<snip>

In my case, I currently see your new image (crowned cat) as your profile image, and your old image (cat singing "O Christmas tree") as your avatar

<snip>

Strange - I see the opposite. 3BB ISP, Phuket.