Retirment Visas Verifing 65K Income for Americans

Hi

If you are a American what is the process you must go though to verify

over 65K in income for a retirement visa?

I think it involves going to the US embassy and filling out some kind of forums but I am not really sure all that is involved..

What kind of forms have to be filled out and what kind of information

provided?

Does this involve any IRS income tax forums?

I am consider doing this but I have never done this before..

Thanks

whistling.gif It has never been a requirement as immigration has so far simply accepted the embassy signed income declaration.

Now I know that is no certainty to continue in the future, but so far it has worked.

If you get a Social Security pension you do get an annual form from the Social Security that lists your monthly pension amount and the annual total you receive.

They mail you that form every year.... and yes, they will mail it to your Thai address.

I carry that form with me at immigration, but I have never been asked to show it.

Also I have my pension sent directly to my bank in Bangkok, and if I was asked I could show my monthly deposits in my Thai bank passbook that correspond to my Social Security pension deposits each month.

The bank passbook clearly shows the funds as a foreign funds transfer each month.

But again, although I always have the passbook to show, the immigration usually doesn't ask on annual renewal.

You can find info here along with links to fill out the form online or to download, print and fill it out. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit

You will need to make an appointment but don't surprised that the latest appointment for notarial services you can get is 9 am,

Never been asked for backup to my affidavits at immigration.

whistling.gif It has never been a requirement as immigration has so far simply accepted the embassy signed income declaration.

Now I know that is no certainty to continue in the future, but so far it has worked.

If you get a Social Security pension you do get an annual form from the Social Security that lists your monthly pension amount and the annual total you receive.

They mail you that form every year.... and yes, they will mail it to your Thai address.

I carry that form with me at immigration, but I have never been asked to show it.

Also I have my pension sent directly to my bank in Bangkok, and if I was asked I could show my monthly deposits in my Thai bank passbook that correspond to my Social Security pension deposits each month.

The bank passbook clearly shows the funds as a foreign funds transfer each month.

But again, although I always have the passbook to show, the immigration usually doesn't ask on annual renewal.

Your statement of social security benefits is also available online:

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/

If you receive a federal pension, statement of pension benefits is also available online:

https://www.servicesonline.opm.gov/

Easy peasy.

You fill out a very short form stating your claimed income.

You are asked for no proof of this income.

Do not bring it. They don't want to see it and they're busy!

You sign the paper witnessed by embassy staff.

You swear you are being truthful to the embassy staffer.

Pay a fee. (Forget how much.)

Do this at the embassy in Bangkok, the consulate in Chiang Mai or during consular outreach visits to the provinces which are posted on the embassy website.

You need to make an online appointment if you do the income letter at the embassy or consulate.

You don't need an appointment if going to a consular outreach but you do need to show up on the correct day that they're there.

DO NOT LIE on the form because Thai immigration may (probably won't but MAY) ask you to provide some documentation to support your income claim when you apply for your annual extensions based on retirement.

The income letters obtained as above are good for SIX MONTHS at Thai immigration.

Next!

The embassy or consulate notary fee for affidavits is $50, U.S. credit card or Thai cash.

I have talked about this before and always been removed with the forum stating that I was promoting a crime!!!

Personal experience. I have gotten 2 retirement visas so far. Both times at Changwattana. I live in Pattaya now and was supposed to go to immigration here to get the visa. They said I had to since that is now my new address. I begged saying I drove all the way up to the embassy then here then waited 4 hours and then have to drive another 3 hours to get home..... They were kind and agreed and used my old address in Bkk. Both times they never asked me for anything other than my income statement from the embassy. I hear at Pattaya immigration they have on a rare occasion asked. That's why I wanted to do it in Bkk. So again, 2 years with retirement visa, and never asked as an American to show any bank statements, just the income verification form from the US Embassy.

In Khon Kaen I have submitted income affidavits from US Embassy dated as much as 8 months prior to applying for my extension with no problem. Pensions don't change during the year.There is nothing in the Immigration regulations setting a time limit for income verification documents, however, there is also no consistency between Immigration offices either!

• Like 1

I have talked about this before and always been removed with the forum stating that I was promoting a crime!!!

Personal experience. I have gotten 2 retirement visas so far. Both times at Changwattana. I live in Pattaya now and was supposed to go to immigration here to get the visa. They said I had to since that is now my new address. I begged saying I drove all the way up to the embassy then here then waited 4 hours and then have to drive another 3 hours to get home..... They were kind and agreed and used my old address in Bkk. Both times they never asked me for anything other than my income statement from the embassy. I hear at Pattaya immigration they have on a rare occasion asked. That's why I wanted to do it in Bkk. So again, 2 years with retirement visa, and never asked as an American to show any bank statements, just the income verification form from the US Embassy.

Where did you wait for 4 hours. Certainly not at the embassy. I think the longest I have ever spent is half an hour.

At the wrong time of day it might take 2 hours or more to get to Chaeng Wattana from the embassy. Seems to me it would be best to do it at the correct office in Jomtien rather than taking the chance of being refused.

• Like 1

Kap Choeng are onto this "scam" and they do want to see bank statements and they also do "home" visits. Nothing to be worried about if everything is above board.

Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm just trying to be helpful. I use the term scam because the letter has been used as proof even though no evidence has been provided therefore it is open to abuse.

Edited by watso63

In Khon Kaen I have submitted income affidavits from US Embassy dated as much as 8 months prior to applying for my extension with no problem. Pensions don't change during the year.There is nothing in the Immigration regulations setting a time limit for income verification documents, however, there is also no consistency between Immigration offices either!

There is this directive form immigration dated May of 2013 that made it officially 6 months. Immigration directive for income letters.pdf

• Like 2

"Heard" that Pattaya has on occasion asked. Sounds like a rumor to me. A lot of rumors in this forum.

Where did you wait for 4 hours. Certainly not at the embassy. I think the longest I have ever spend is half an hour.

At the wrong time of day it might take 2 hours or more to get to Chaeng Wattana from the embassy. Seems to me it would be best to do it at the correct office in Jomtien rather than taking the chance of being refused.

Like I said. It is better to do in Chaingwattana, NOT Jomtien. You must drive up to the embassy to get the income statement notorized so better choice is CW. 10 min. Maybe to get income statement. 4 hours ( can be less or more, depending on the day). About 6 to 7 hours driving from Jomtien and back. Yes, I left at 5:30am as I had an 8 am appt at embassy. Hope that clears it up. IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE, GO TO CW.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply to quoted text

The safest is not to bring the consulate certification older than 3 months to immigration. It is not a set rule about it on every immigration office.

Last month when I got my extension in Bangkok they told me 5 days. Doesn't seem that it makes much difference. I get one proof every year. When I get it doesn't really matter.

Kap Choeng are onto this "scam" and they do want to see bank statements and they also do "home" visits. Nothing to be worried about if everything is above board.

Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm just trying to be helpful. I use the term scam because the letter has been used as proof even though no evidence has been provided therefore it is open to abuse.

Scam?? I'm not aware of any scam. The embassy certification is a valid proof of income. Never heard of anyone abusing it. If a province or two wants to ask for further documentation, it's up to them. It seems to me a few of the provinces that don't have a large number of farangs ask for a lot of supporting documents that others don't. For example proof of address seems to be also required in a couple of province though in all the years I've been in Thailand, I've never been asked for it. Maybe they just have extra time on their hands. I've always just brought the required documents and never been asked for anything extra.

• Like 1

Where did you wait for 4 hours. Certainly not at the embassy. I think the longest I have ever spend is half an hour.

Like I said. It is better to do in Chaingwattana, NOT Jomtien. You must drive up to the embassy to get the income statement notorized so better choice is CW. 10 min. Maybe to get income statement. 4 hours ( can be less or more, depending on the day). About 6 to 7 hours driving from Jomtien and back. Yes, I left at 5:30am as I had an 8 am appt at embassy. Hope that clears it up. IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE, GO TO CW.

You don't even have to go to Bangkok to get your income affidavit. You could get it at one of the 4 consular outreaches in Pattaya this year. See: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/consular_outreach.html

Like I wrote it has never taken that long to get the income affidavit at the embassy. I have been in and out in 15 minutes I have done 8 of them and perhaps the longest was a half hour.

You have been lucky to of gotten to get it done that quick at CW. Many reports of it taking most of the day recently.

Scam?? I'm not aware of any scam. The embassy certification is a valid proof of income. Never heard of anyone abusing it. If a province or two wants to ask for further documentation, it's up to them. It seems to me a few of the provinces that don't have a large number of farangs ask for a lot of supporting documents that others don't. For example proof of address seems to be also required in a couple of province though in all the years I've been in Thailand, I've never been asked for it. Maybe they just have extra time on their hands. I've always just brought the required documents and never been asked for anything extra.

Home visit is another odd one that just a few provinces do. I've always just walked into immigration with the required forms and walked out with my extension stamp.

The safest is not to bring the consulate certification older than 3 months to immigration. It is not a set rule about it on every immigration office.

Last month when I got my extension in Bangkok they told me 5 days. Doesn't seem that it makes much difference. I get one proof every year. When I get it doesn't really matter.

Perhaps they could say that at immigration in Bangkok since people don't have to travel from other parts of the country to get to the embassy.. Others use the rules I posted earlier.

For the past 2 years I used one that was 4 months old at the office up here in Ubon.

Perhaps they could say that at immigration in Bangkok since people don't have to travel from other parts of the country to get to the embassy.. Others use the rules I posted earlier.

For the past 2 years I used one that was 4 months old at the office up here in Ubon.

Yes, of course. It depends on the office.

I get a small amount of social security from the US govt. and close to the same amount from the Japanese government. A bit above $1,000 a month in total.

Can I go to the US Embassy and claim $1,000 a month, or can I only claim funds from the US?

And then not sure after reading many posts....

Will I have to get verification from the US Embassy once a year?

I did ask not to be shot for passing on the message. I know that several people were deported last year including Australians who also don't need to prove their income. How can a anything be galid without proof? It just means if you get caught you're on your own.

I get a small amount of social security from the US govt. and close to the same amount from the Japanese government. A bit above $1,000 a month in total.

Can I go to the US Embassy and claim $1,000 a month, or can I only claim funds from the US?

You can claim any income on the income affidavit. It states the following.

"I also affirm that I receive USD $ ________________ every month from the United States Government and/or

other sources."

• Like 1

The income affidavit at that the US Embassy issues is a sworn statement. It says:

"I also affirm that I receive US$ _______________every month from the

United States Government and/or other sources. I am applying for a Thai visa/ an extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated."

The money that you get from the Japanese government fits in the "or other sources" therefore you can claim the whole $1000. I have two pensions, one from SSA and the other from a private source and I combine them and claim both. However, although no proof is required by the Embassy, you should be prepared to provide the proof to immigration if they ask for it. But don't volunteer it upfront .

You'll have to get the verification every year. Some offices will accept affidavits up to 6 months old, others only 30 days. I use Nakhon Sawan and they only accept ones that have been issued witin the past 30 days. I checked again when I did my last extension in October.