Huge Fines On Arrival

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, if I were challenged after customs control I would be especially cautious. I would refuse to leave the airport with them and demand to back-track to customs inside the arrivals terminal.

The case of the disappearing Chinese tourists is new to me, but I have heard the dreadful {alleged report} of the minibus-taxi, that caused CO-gassing of collected fares at BBK DM.

At least Manila got rid of the internal taxi-touts and safer coupon taxis are easily available inside the airport.

Agree that if someone claims to be a customs officer and approaches you after you've left customs it would seem that it's a scam, even if the guy is a genuine customs officer. As you say, insist to go back into customs at the airport if they have a problem. Also, I'd whip out my camera and take their picture immediately as proof of who they are and where you/they are when you were first approached. I imagine just taking their picture would scare them off.

Regarding the coupon taxis at Manila, would have to say that it did get rid of the touts, but isn't a very acceptable solution in my opinion. The coupon taxis are much more expensive than a meter taxi would be. Granted it's still very cheap compared to taxis elsewhere and certainly I'd gladly pay such a price for a decent/safe ride, but I just don't like the way you're forced to use those coupon taxis. I much prefer BKK's approach of paying 50 Baht for having a booth there to supervise normal metered taxis, with the option of having a private limo (coupon taxi equivalent). If they could just ban the touts at BKK it would be so much better. Manila's airport solved the tout problem not so much by implementing the coupon taxis, though that was a part of it, but by banning the general public (non-passengers/airport workers) from being inside the terminal or even curbside. It's certainly easy to navigate the public areas due to that, but unfortunately a big hassle for many people in that if you do need to go inside the airport, such as to visit an airline office, but don't have a same-day ticket in hand, you can't get in easily. And for someone going to the airport to meet someone, it's also not so convenient. Or if someone is accompanying you to the airport to see you off, you can't go inside together and spend some time there before your flight. All-in-all not very user friendly IMHO.

The "plain clothes" staff after you clear through customs are from the Excise dept. Customs and Excise are 2 completely separate departments in Thailand. Customs have authority airside in the airport as far as the red and green channels. Once you clear through customs into the landside arrivals area, then youare at the mercy of the Excise dept. The official excise duy is THB 3555 per 200 cigarettes over you're allowance. i heard from a friend that the reason the excise staff are being so diligent at the moment is because are being "rewarded" for each traveller they fine.....

The worst thing about customs for me is that if they were to confiscate anything I doubt the Thai government would get hold of it. The people who take it from you will most likely will divide it up among themselves. Did the people who got their stuff confiscated and who payed a fine get some kid of a receipt? If they did it wouldn't hurt to sent it to a higher office to help make that the lower office is accountable. It wouldn't hurt to create a non-profit office to things like this. It would help make the customs people accountable.

I know a guy who gave a bottle of a whiskey to an airport offical so that he could go right up to the plane to great his elderly mother when she got off the plane. That was at Don Muang. Whiskey seems to go a long way when you want to get things done here.

Hi, my friends came in with 5 sleeves of Belgian sigarettes each for their own use, they stay for 1 month and the were fined like 77 Euro per sleeve, it this legal, can they do that? Patrick

Yes.

Limit is 200 cigarettes per person (1 sleeve), I assume they got caught in the green channel (smuggling).

Anybody actually tried declaring over limit ciggies / alcohol by going through the red channel, results?

Hi, my friends came in with 5 sleeves of Belgian sigarettes each for their own use, they stay for 1 month and the were fined like 77 Euro per sleeve, it this legal, can they do that? Patrick

Yes 'they can do that' ; Thailand has set the duty free limit at 200 cigarettes per person. So anything over is fined at 3555 baht per sleeve.

The thing is, your friends were unlucky because there has been a big clamp-down on arriving passengers with duty free goods.

• 1 month later...

In a country where a nationwide sweepstakes prize is a piddling Bt.2,000 or a serious fine on a Thai person might be Bt.1,500 ....a fine of 3,000 pounds is more than excessive - it's an absolute shake-down. The nicest way to say it is the cops stole from the vulnerable Brits and lined their pockets. If they made an official report, they might have tallied Bt.1,500 in the logbook.

It's impossible for the panty waist system called 'Thai justice' to bring justice to bear on the cop-thieves. ...just couldn't happen.

I won't be surprised if we start hearing stories of 5,000 pounds or $10,000 ...heck, whatever the cops think they can get away with. I know it's sounds like a colossal hassle, but the Brits could possibly have asked for legal representation before paying up. Maybe this is a niche opportunity for someone hanging out at the airport handing out lawyers biz cards.

The "plain clothes" staff after you clear through customs are from the Excise dept. Customs and Excise are 2 completely separate departments in Thailand. Customs have authority airside in the airport as far as the red and green channels. Once you clear through customs into the landside arrivals area, then youare at the mercy of the Excise dept. The official excise duy is THB 3555 per 200 cigarettes over you're allowance. i heard from a friend that the reason the excise staff are being so diligent at the moment is because are being "rewarded" for each traveller they fine.....

My understanding was that the Customs Dept is empowered to collect all import taxes on goods entering the country including excise tax. There are four import taxes on alcohol: import duty; excise tax; municipal tax; and VAT. Anything is possible in Thailand but it makes no sense to have separate Excise Dept officials checking tourists and these ones apparently don't have an office of their own at the airport and are very testy about providing ID. If the Excise Dept can do this, then the Revenue Dept should also be allowed to send staff to Suvanaphumi to collect the VAT part of the import tax package. From their behaviour it seems very unlikely that these are Excise Dept officials on duty. Their job, as I understand it, is to collect tax on domestically produced booze, fags, playing cards and oil products, since the Customs Dept is already collecting excise tax on imports for them.

I have been through the airport customs three times in the last few weeks have seen no trouble at customs, only one guy there last time paying no attention to anone.

Take these 'huge fine' stories with a pinch of salt.

Actually have been really impressed with the airport...no trouble whatsoever, clean toilets and very efficient with no queues.....

• 2 weeks later...
I have been through the airport customs three times in the last few weeks have seen no trouble at customs, only one guy there last time paying no attention to anone.

Take these 'huge fine' stories with a pinch of salt.

Actually have been really impressed with the airport...no trouble whatsoever, clean toilets and very efficient with no queues.....

And if one doesn't smuggle one won't get the fines.

Recent posters should read my reply of 29 October 2006 (page 9) for my first hand experience which confirms that they

1. DO work in uniform with civvy jacket on top

2. DO work outside the Customs hall and in the public arrivals area

3. DO have access to the Police office at the airport

4. DO have access to Customs HQ in Bangkok

5. DO charge the penalty rate (3,555 Baht) mentioned by others after my post and which confirms that the rate they charged my wife was correct.

6. DO issue official receipts

There you have it. Sorry to the doom mongers who are sure that everything and everybody in Thailand is corrupt etc. It might be a harsh penalty but it's their law. Respect it.

We were caught out through our own naive ignorance. We have no complaints.

Edited by DDIM

Well guys I don't understand the reason fro "importing" foreign cigarettes into Thailand. Is 60 Baht too expensive for a package of 20 Marlboro red? Ok, you might argue about the taste, but I don't get the point. I was looking for some Gauloises Blondes as I failed to find them here in Pattaya, but after all......any brand you smoke, it will kill you...so what's up? :o

Well guys I don't understand the reason fro "importing" foreign cigarettes into Thailand. Is 60 Baht too expensive for a package of 20 Marlboro red? Ok, you might argue about the taste, but I don't get the point. I was looking for some Gauloises Blondes as I failed to find them here in Pattaya, but after all......any brand you smoke, it will kill you...so what's up? :D

Using your logic, why would a Johnny Walker Blue label drinker bother to buy a litre "duty free" when Mekhong Whiskey is cheaper and available everywhere?? They both get you pissed right?? :o

What about taking just 200 cigs to Singapore from Bangkokwhere there is NO duty free allowance.

Anyone have a problem ?

well i know someone that smuggled pot into Singapore, for goodness why, and wasn't caught.

BUt IF caught consequences will eliminate all the profits you have made from playing Thai banks at their own currency games = totally not worth it.

p.s. and mostly they check; this guy doing the smuggling for personal use was a personal acquiantance of LKY hence why he knew he would not get checked.

I don't smoke cigarettes but I used to bring in a couple of extra bottles of decent wine from time to time before I read this thread. I wonder how they would assess the value of wine for duty and fine purposes. A bottle can cost anywhere between B200 to over B100,000 and the labels and vintages brought in are not necessarily available in Thailand for price comparison.

I resent the high taxes on wine here but accept the government has a right to impose it on a luxury item. Even worse I resent the prices of wine at Kingpower which are a lot more than charged at outlets like Villa in town.

I don't smoke cigarettes but I used to bring in a couple of extra bottles of decent wine from time to time before I read this thread. I wonder how they would assess the value of wine for duty and fine purposes. A bottle can cost anywhere between B200 to over B100,000 and the labels and vintages brought in are not necessarily available in Thailand for price comparison.

I resent the high taxes on wine here but accept the government has a right to impose it on a luxury item. Even worse I resent the prices of wine at Kingpower which are a lot more than charged at outlets like Villa in town.

I am amazed how all the shops at the new airport survive. There are no bargains, indeed all their wares offered are more expensive than if bought in the Thai shops and malls.

I can only conclude that underworld 'funny' money is laundered there on luxury goods for cheap resale. I saw a 'Burberry Weekend Bag' priced at 45,000 baht.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand are changing the "Thailand Unforgettable" publicity campaign. -

I wonder why, and to what?

They're changing it back to "Amazing Thailand" as they thought "Thailand Unforgettable" wasn't bring in enough tourists. So they're going back to what worked for them.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand are changing the "Thailand Unforgettable" publicity campaign. -

They're changing it back to "Amazing Thailand" as they thought "Thailand Unforgettable" wasn't bring in enough tourists. So they're going back to what worked for them.

One of the best decisions ever from TAT; avoiding millions in creative costs and earning the eternal rage of Ms 20% K. Jutamart.

Why change what was never broken?

One of the best decisions ever from TAT; avoiding millions in creative costs and earning the eternal rage of Ms 20% K. Jutamart.

Why change what was never broken?

Well a new model Merc. has to be purchased every year to ferry ones daughter to and from work (chauffered driven of course). No driving herself or public transport for the spoilt (but admittedly very attractive) daughter. Pitty her trinkets shop on L3 at the back of All Seasons didn't work out well, but I'm sure there wasn't a profit motive there and the start up capital would have been more than forthcoming.

:o

You're pretty naive if you think that money is going anywhere other than the pockets of the staff at customs. It's not going to benefit the construction of the new airport. If any of the major news networks start reporting this the T.A.T is going to get a little bit worried. I invite anybody who's been mistreated to tell their local media.

My guess is, this just a temporary flare up. Maybe they are a bit short on money for the new airport, and have been instructed to supplement things a bit. Also, maybe some of them are newbs to the whole system, and a bit zealous still. Give them time, they (along with customs officials in most other countries) are too lazy to keep a crackdown on for an extended period of time.

APART FROM WANTING TO MAKE M0NEY AND OR SMOKE YOURSELF TO DEATH WHY WOULD ANYONE BRING IN A LOAD OF FAGS WHEN THEY ARE CHEAPER IN THAILAND ? IN EITHER CASE SEEMS A RISK NOT WORTH TAKING, AFTER ALL BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT ( TAXES ) AND CUSTOMS/POLICE ( CORRUPTION ) YOU HAVE SOME STIFF COMPETION. AS FOR THIS BEING A TEMPORARY THING I SEE IT AS GETTING WORSE ,WHY ? WELL IT WILL BE SEEN AS A GREAT WAY OF RELEIVING THE FARANG OF THERE WELL EARNED EVEN BEFORE THEY HAVE LEFT THE AIRPORT,.IF YOU ARE SMUGGLING ( AND IF YOU ARE OVER ALLOWANCE THATS WHAT IT IS ) BE PREPARED FOR THE CONSIQUENCES WHEN YOU ARE CAUGHT,