Iran state TV: 4 dual-national prisoners released

rooster59

Iran state TV: 4 dual-national prisoners released

ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iranian state television is announced that the government has freed four dual-nationality prisoners.

The Saturday report did not identify the prisoners but it comes amid speculation that jailed Washing Post bureau chief Jason Rezaian, a dual Iran-U.S. citizen who was convicted of espionage in a closed-door trial in 2015, could be among them.

A report by the semi-official ISNA news agency quotes a statement from the Tehran prosecutor's office as saying the inmates were freed "within the framework of exchanging prisoners," without elaborating.

The U.S. would not immediately confirm the Iranian report. But the family of one of the U.S prisoners received unofficial word from Iran that their relative was being released today, according to a person close to that family who spoke on condition the family not be identified.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-16

Brilliant! This is simply a brilliant strategic move by Iran. Every single step Iran plays internationally is as ancient as bartering for a rug in a Persian bazaar. There is no new diplomatic genius here. Anyone who has the remotest street smarts knows clever negotiation skills, bluffs, good cop-bad cop routines, etc. What is new here is the failure of the Western education system regarding our current leaders on display for the world to see, and Iran to work over like a bitch in a jail cell. Has the world ever produced such stupid leaders? Maybe, but hardly at such terrifying times. Iran has brilliantly released these people in an effort to assuage indictment for the 10 us sailors and keep the good guy/bad guy dialectic going. They don't care, they are "working the crowd," pulling the carpet out from under their detractors, and constantly and aggressively gaining power and legitimacy.

Brilliant! This is simply a brilliant strategic move by Iran. Every single step Iran plays internationally is as ancient as bartering for a rug in a Persian bazaar. There is no new diplomatic genius here. Anyone who has the remotest street smarts knows clever negotiation skills, bluffs, good cop-bad cop routines, etc. What is new here is the failure of the Western education system regarding our current leaders on display for the world to see, and Iran to work over like a bitch in a jail cell. Has the world ever produced such stupid leaders? Maybe, but hardly at such terrifying times. Iran has brilliantly released these people in an effort to assuage indictment for the 10 us sailors and keep the good guy/bad guy dialectic going. They don't care, they are "working the crowd," pulling the carpet out from under their detractors, and constantly and aggressively gaining power and legitimacy.

If only there was some way for you to make them understand.......if only......if only.....

Edited by Enoon

My but some people just love spouting off without even a cursory check of the news, don't they?

VOA News

January 14, 2016 6:34 PM

The U.S. confirmed Thursday that Iran has poured concrete into the core of the Arak nuclear reactor, making it nearly impossible to produce weapons-grade plutonium at the facility.

This was one of the major issues preventing full implementation of the nuclear agreement Iran signed in July with six world powers, including the United States.

Iranian officials also affirmed that the core of the reactor was taken out.

"The core vessel of the Arak reactor has been removed ... and IAEA [international Atomic Energy Agency] inspectors will visit the site to verify it and report it to the IAEA," a spokesman for Iran's atomic energy organization said on state television Thursday. "We are ready for implementation day of the deal."

U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby also said implementation day for the nuclear agreement is "very close."

But the IAEA inspectors first must verify Iran is living up to its commitments.

http://www.voanews.com/content/iran-fills-nuclear-reactor-core-concrete-united-states-says/3146416.html

Yeah, they really want nothing to stand in the way of those billions from coming. After that -- WATCH OUT.

Since I'm almost close enough to see them, perhaps you could tell me what it is for which I am supposed to "WATCH OUT"?

rolleyes.gif

Yeah, they really want nothing to stand in the way of those billions from coming. After that -- WATCH OUT.

As far as I know lifting sanctions is not tied to the prisoners release

Edited by simple1

Has Iran even signed the nuclear agreement yet?

Signature not required. From the USA State Department :

“The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is not a treaty or an executive agreement, and is not a signed document,” wrote Julia Frifield, the State Department assistant secretary for legislative affairs, in the November 19 letter.

Frifield wrote the letter in response to a letter Pompeo sent Secretary of State John Kerry, in which he observed that the deal the president had submitted to Congress was unsigned and wondered if the administration had given lawmakers the final agreement. Frifield’s response emphasizes that Congress did receive the final version of the deal. But by characterizing the JCPOA as a set of “political commitments” rather than a more formal agreement, it is sure to heighten congressional concerns that Iran might violate the deal’s terms.

“The success of the JCPOA will depend not on whether it is legally binding or signed, but rather on the extensive verification measures we have put in place, as well as Iran’s understanding that we have the capacity to re-impose — and ramp up — our sanctions if Iran does not meet its commitments,” Frifield wrote to Pompeo.

The Iranian Majlis, the nation’s parliament, did vote to accept the agreement with blessing from Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Because the agreement is not a treaty it didn't require approval from the USA Congress. The next POTUS can uni;aterally cancel the agreement so far as it concerns the USA. However, the remaining G-5 nations that were part of the agreement deal can continue to honor the agreement.

Thank you, it is exactly as I expected. The Obama/Kerry vaudeville team has again been outfoxed by the Iranians into releasing billions for nothing.

My first ex-wife could negotiate with the carpet dealers. They should have kept Kerry at home and sent her.

Since I'm almost close enough to see them, perhaps you could tell me what it is for which I am supposed to "WATCH OUT"?

rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't go anywhere near a Sunni mosque if I was in your shoes.

rolleyes.gif

Yes, you've been away for quite a while, haven't you Chuck?

It's the Shi'a mosques that are getting blown up.

Thank you, it is exactly as I expected. The Obama/Kerry vaudeville team has again been outfoxed by the Iranians into releasing billions for nothing.

My first ex-wife could negotiate with the carpet dealers. They should have kept Kerry at home and sent her.

This is one of your more vacuous posts.

The Iranians have a set of commitments to fulfill, and they are fulfilling them; they've already shipped 25,000 pounds of nuclear material to Russia as agreed.

And they've poured concrete into the core of their key reactor as agreed.

I realise your preferred option would be "Surrender or Die", but fortunately we have a US administration that doesn't want to run around starting wars for nothing any more.

Long may it last.

The Iranians have a set of commitments to fulfill, and they are fulfilling them; they've already shipped 25,000 pounds of nuclear material to Russia as agreed.

I realise your preferred option would be "Surrender or Die", but fortunately we have a US administration that doesn't want to run around starting wars for nothing any more.

Long may it last.

Arak may be old, and a debatable plutonium site but it would hardly be "key." IMO no key site would be bulldozed by Iran. I say again, Iran is brilliant. Would such brilliance evidence such a long difficult road only to throw away the source of its accomplishments- US capitulation? Maybe, but I think Arak would be written off because it is disposable, not because its vital. I do not believe Arak is that vital to the Iranians.

Iran appears to be fulfilling its commitments. How weak their requirements are do not reflect on Iran, they reflect on the West. From a purely objective point of view Iran has been diplomatically brilliant and perfectly married its nuclear program with its larger diplomatic objectives. Were I Iranian I would take pride in my country's acumen at extracting concessions, they did. However, Iran certainly seeks a nuclear military capability; there is overwhelming circumstantial and Intel to support this. Part of me really wants to agree with you, chicog- I do because I fear Obama's unstated creation (IMO) of a bipolar middle east is frightening. I am uncertain the previous tools were working. I just remain unconvinced anything at all has changed except the West's posture toward Iran.

Long may it last.

Since vacuous is part of your steady diet, you would recognize it.

So they shipped 25,000 pounds of nuclear material to Russia...who can ship it back just as quickly as it was shipped to them.

And we have witnesses that saw them pour concrete into a reactor? Since Iran would not accept American or British inspectors do you really believe a French WMD inspector is going to tell the truth if it might affect Airbus? Yeah, sure.

And since we have a peace loving administration that doesn't start wars, you might want to tell the people being bombed in Libya, Iraq and Syria to blame Bush. I expect their perspective of the Obama administration differs from yours.

Long may it last?

How about one year and three days.thumbsup.gif

Iran even snookered our crack negotiation team by getting seven Iranians for five (?) or fewer US/Iranian citizens.

I guess that's better than the five terrorists for one deserter deal inked earlier by this administration in yet another prisoner swap.

Good for the guys coming home in any event.

rolleyes.gif

Yes, you've been away for quite a while, haven't you Chuck?

It's the Shi'a mosques that are getting blown up.

But the Shiites have a pocket full of newly found money so they can buy lots of explosives to get even with the Sunnis.