Motorcyclists

MRH1959

Why do we have to put up with the ever worsening of many motorcyclists, of which the most are taxi cyclists?

I'm sure many of you have seen similar to what is mentioned.

Passing cars, though there is on-coming traffic; Forcing cars to the gutter, as they pass other cars; Over-taking a turning vehicle at a tight intersection, never mind which side of the car they do it; Over-taking a car on a blind spot, never mind whether it is a canal bridge or corner; Passing a car and suddenly stopping in front, causing sudden braking and possible accident; Driving slowly in the middle of the lane [on a 2 lane soi] giving total disregard to vehicles wanting to pass; Riding with one hand using the phone, or worse, same hand with phone and cigarette; Pulling out in front of cars without looking after pillion passenger is on; Operating the bike at night with faulty lights, or no lights at all..........

And so it goes on.

Two nights ago, two bikes hit each other at an intersection, one with pillion passenger, and almost all the above was seen.

Many Thai have said to me, 'don't cause a problem as many riders may carry a knife or gun', and although these people also agree with the poor attitude of these riders, nothing is done.

Many Thai may also believe that this nature is just the Thai way, and get over it. If that is the case, then we know where it is heading and it is not good.

We see the Police doing more checks on the bike, and riders, though they need help from motorists with cameras and from the government to enforce the safe road use laws. Yes the government has started to do more about this, and it will take time, though how many lives will be lost in the mean time?

I wish these bikes could be banned from use until the riders change their way, though realise that for many people it is their only way to travel.

I'm sorry for the good riders in Thailand, as these bad riders are giving you a bad status.

I think it's pretty selfish to occupy 4 seats on the road while one is being used only by the driver.

Motorcycles also deserve a place on the road which they don't get.

Also it's very selfish to drive a car and not using the indicators, cutting off other drivers, stopping where they want, parking where they want.

And why motorcycles (big bikes) can't use the tollways or underpasses/flyovers?

Cars are very slow and most can't even drive at all. Just let motorcycles pass them and the mototaxi's are sure being used...which doesn't mean they don't have to follow any roadrules though.

This morning there was a man walking on the left side of the road because there was no sidewalk. The car infront of me drove straight into him, the mirror flew off and they wouldn't even stop. I drove next to the drivers window which made them stop...the hurt pedestrian brought the mirror back and even apologised blink.png Then i left them to sort things out. He wasn't hurt bad and very lucky because the car hit him hard.

Mostly good and sound points Thain, though selfishness isn't the point. Safety is.

Cars are supposed to be safer than bikes. Cars can take more than one person, and heavier loads as required.

Was the pedestrian mentioned walking towards or same direction as the car, as people should walk towards, of which is seldom seen. I'm surprised more people aren't hit by cars or bikes, as common sense is missing.

No matter what is used on the roads, road rules/laws should be abided by.

Understand the frustration of disallowed road use on certain roads, though they seem to be in place for safety reasons.

What is safe about a lady with a baby on a moto taxi and the rider is using his phone?

We can all complain about other road users, no matter what they drive, though we can all drive safer and legally.

So how about instead of complaining, state some positive ideas as to increase safety on the roads for all. Maybe then the powers to be will spend money where it is required.

Another daily occurrence.

The morning school run.

As to avoid a 250 baht fine all the adults where I live wear a safety helmet if you can call it that.

Don't worry about the other 4 passengers the kids as long as I avoid the fine,the safety of the children isn't even a consideration.

What do the police do,nothing it's all they've ever known,they probably did the same when they went to school.

post-118612-1454685782776_thumb.jpg

Edited by stoneyboy

If you drive a m/c you get a totally different view too of how cars abuse m/c and push them of the road. I do dislike other m/c that go against traffic and stuff. I use my m/c a lot more as the car as you can pass in heavy traffic its just faster.

As Thian said.. more m/c means more space on the road cars take up a lot of space per person a m/c does not. So live and let live, but I agree about the m/c taxi's that they can be real crazy. But you should see what taxi's do.. pas you on your bike and then cut you off to stop, same goes for minivans.

The pedestrian walking ont he road went in the same direction as the car. I think the cardriver was on the phone or drunk.

But in a city like bangkok i think it's selfish to drive a car, even more a pickup because motocy's can't go between 2 of them.

Well it is what it is and won't change for sure....

@stoneyboy,

I agree with you but for poor people there is often no other way. It would cost too much time and money otherwise. I can't say I would do the same but I do understand it for the poor.

So being poor gives people the right to abuse traffic laws.

And again herein lies the problem with the country,being poor and uneducated results in loss of life on a daily basis because people have no other choice but to undertake risks as in the picture.

So all in all the issue lies with the people in power continually oppressing the masses and not improving education,infrastructure,jobs and income to a level whereby people can go about their daily business in a safe reliable manner.

So the madness will continue for ever more as it is perceived to be to the local poor population quite normal and acceptable behaviour.

All the time while the Bangkok Elite ride around in shiny big cars and don't have to run the daily gauntlet on a Honda wave,the things that don't effect the powerful don't get addressed per se,why would it they have the right to close roads and travel in convoys at their leisure.

Edited by stoneyboy

If you drive a m/c you get a totally different view too of how cars abuse m/c and push them of the road. I do dislike other m/c that go against traffic and stuff. I use my m/c a lot more as the car as you can pass in heavy traffic its just faster.

As Thian said.. more m/c means more space on the road cars take up a lot of space per person a m/c does not. So live and let live, but I agree about the m/c taxi's that they can be real crazy. But you should see what taxi's do.. pas you on your bike and then cut you off to stop, same goes for minivans.

Today i was in Sathorn/Chinatown on the motocy (got terribly lost) and there it's almost impossible to drive motocy unless you do as the rest which is driving on the incoming lane. If they all do it then i follow them...when i didn't dare to go another motocy behind me was pushing my bike!

Well it's total anarchy on the roads but motocy's are in full sun while cardrivers sit nice in aircon.

I hate driving against traffic but i understand why they do it, because it's possible and there's no police. There are just too many big cars in BKK and they also don't give a butt about motocy's.

But i blame everything on the police, they don't do anything at all so this is what you get. Also taxi's just do as they like, same as minivans or expensive cars or even big buses.

Thai should learn how to drive cars first, how to use indicators,how important carrying lights is and so on....I get very tired when i see how girls drive cars here and i just race around them, left or right. Some even break when they go down a flyover bridge where they go 65 instead of 60 on a mainroad where 80 is the max. speed. They have bad eyes or are just very insecure drivers .

As a motorcyclist I don't do the things you mentioned but I want to tell you a few things.

Motorcycles here are a way of life for millions of people. Unlike in your country, where people buy and ride motorcycles as a hobby and to have fun on, people in Thailand buy and ride motorcycles because it's the cheapest and easiest mode of transportation. So what happens is, people don't try to educate themselves about safety, and there's certainly no effort by the government to try and improve motorcycle safety either.

The two biggest laws in place for motorcycles meant to improve safety, is actually doing the opposite. Left lane law and motorcycles not being allowed on the tollways.

If you don't know what that is, basically left lane law states that ALL motorcycles, including 1400cc superbikes, must stay in the left-most lane at all times, except when making a u-turn because they're too slow for normal traffic. As for the tollway law, it states that all motorcycles, including 1400cc superbikes, aren't allowed on the tollways even though motorcycle cops are allowed.

The left lane law is dangerous because the left most lane is filled with manholes, potholes, bicycles, taxis, buses, and vehicles trying to pullout of a street. Sensible bikers never stay on the left lane for this reason.

Motorcycles not being allowed on the tollway is dangerous because it is forcing people with bigger motorcycles to use broken backroads where they average 70 km/h, full of sand, dirt, trucks, potholes instead of the clean, straight and safe tollway. I've been forced to buy a car just because of this law alone. You and many car drivers need to understand if the tollways were restricted to 250cc and up motorcycles, there wouldn't be any danger because the amount of 250cc and up bikes are rare and riders of this segment have gone through the effort into spending time educating themselves about safety and spend a fortune on safety gear, like myself.

I know there are idiots on the road so I ride accordingly. You can't ride like you do in developed countries, that's what gets you killed. If you think that car is going to change lanes slowly and using their indicators, that's already a sign you're not ready for roads here.

The only solution to this is to make people go through the same license process as in Europe. But that would put the country in economic recession because motorcycles is what makes this country go 'round; without it, millions of people wouldn't be able to travel, they wouldn't be able to find a motorcycle food vendor, no icecream, no somtam, no squid, no bbq, no clothes, no shoes, no pizza.

@stoneyboy,

I agree with you but for poor people there is often no other way. It would cost too much time and money otherwise. I can't say I would do the same but I do understand it for the poor.

So being poor gives people the right to abuse traffic laws.

And again herein lies the problem with the country,being poor and uneducated results in loss of life on a daily basis because people have no other choice but to undertake risks as in the picture.

So all in all the issue lies with the people in power continually oppressing the masses and not improving education,infrastructure,jobs and income to a level whereby people can go about their daily business in a safe reliable manner.

So the madness will continue for ever more as it is perceived to be to the local poor population quite normal and acceptable behaviour.

All the time while the Bangkok Elite ride around in shiny big cars and don't have to run the daily gauntlet on a Honda wave,the things that don't effect the powerful don't get addressed per se,why would it they have the right to close roads and travel in convoys at their leisure.

Stoney boy, I live in BKK and can assure you what you see there is similar what I see here. Poor people do live in BKK too.

Of course that does not give them the right to abuse traffic laws, they can still get fined. But not wearing a helmet and taking too many on a bike is not really endangering others is it. What endangers others are minivans that speed along and cars doing all sort of crazy things. Its quite hard to harm someone with a m/c as opposed to harming something with a car. Mass x velocity and so on.

I wish Bangkok charged a huge few for driving cars in the city, like Singapore does. Mr. New-benz with red plate and Joe Fortuna could learn to ride a motorcycle and cause much less congestion. Yes, some bike riders are idiots and a hazard, but cars are more dangerous and cause 90% of the congestion.

Passing cars, though there is on-coming traffic; Forcing cars to the gutter, as they pass other cars; Over-taking a turning vehicle at a tight intersection, never mind which side of the car they do it; Over-taking a car on a blind spot, never mind whether it is a canal bridge or corner; Passing a car and suddenly stopping in front, causing sudden braking and possible accident; Driving slowly in the middle of the lane [on a 2 lane soi] giving total disregard to vehicles wanting to pass; Riding with one hand using the phone, or worse, same hand with phone and cigarette; Pulling out in front of cars without looking after pillion passenger is on; Operating the bike at night with faulty lights, or no lights at all..........

And so it goes on.

Cars do all these things , except maybe passing on half a meter of blind side.

I wish these bikes could be banned from use until the riders change their way...

What your personal needs and wishes are, are of no concern to others.

Sit back, relax in the sun under a palm tree and enjoy the variety this country has to offer.

though selfishness isn't the point. Safety is...

What a complete and utter load of PC twaddle.

Do you pay taxes here? Can you vote? Even if you do or can tit still won't make any difference. Lack of skill or lack of proper training is not the root case.

I know there are idiots on the road so I ride accordingly

I know there are idiots on some forums so I post accordingly. coffee1.gif

In the spirit of pomposity si fueris Rōmae, Rōmānō vīvitō mōre; si fueris alibī, vīvitō sicut ibi

Edited by VocalNeal

I ride the bike at times and drive the cars at others so I see the worst of both worlds and it is always the same, no road sense/patience or knowing the road rules/obeying them. I have been on the bike and had a car overtake me while the indicator was on and I was turning right, had cars refuse to give way to me and just cut me off, then when driving a car I have had bikes on my left try to cut across the front of me to turn right/u turn while I am driving forwards, turn right across the front of me from the opposite direction because they dont want to wait, try to overtake on the left while I am turning left(indicator is on) etc etc. The fault lies purely with the lack of policing the laws, knowing the actual road rules and obeying them, having a licence would also help. For some reason many thais have not patience, they do not want to wait for anyone else so they simply break the laws.

( world over ) A bad rider or driver is a bad rider or driver .. End of. ( but granted there does seem a greater concentration here in Thailand )

When you ride a bigger bike, small nippy scooter riders are nightmares for not checking mirrors, no indication and just pulling out.

Just as much as cars are a nightmare when they pull out blindly from U-turns without consideration of approaching traffic.

Worsening ?? Can't say I noticed.

Edited by recom273

Motorcycles get no respect in Thailand.Bicycles get less.And if your walking you need to be really careful.The bicycle on up will run you down

In A New York second.So when you see motorcyclist doing crazy things,remember he's trying to stay alive.

I wonder, are the OP a motorcyclist?

I drive motorcycle on an almost daily basis here in Bangkok, and there is no way of getting around without breaking a few laws. Thats just the way it is....

I think he's from Nu Zeelund. They drive along the motorway there and call the police if they see someone going a few klicks over the speed limit! Nuf said!

The law enforcement is the problem, if anyone has been to Malaysia which is about the same as Thailand on an economic level you will see that nobody in the cities rides without a helmet and drivers tend to follow the rules. I was pleasantly surprised when I worked there, Miri, Labuan, Penang, KL had decent drivers and good taxis.

There have been some good and insightful replies, along with the idiotic and misreading replies.

The stated question is to do with the unlawful and unsafe practices of many motorcyclists.

We all know that there is good and bad in everything and road users are just the same, whether you ride a bike or drive a car, van, truck or bus.

Namplik, as for your answer, although I hold a motorcycle licence it is not for Thailand and although I would like to ride a bike in certain parts of Thailand, there are many reasons why it isn't safe to do so and some of those reasons are mentioned via other posters, especially due to other bad road users. I do ride bikes and drive cars, vans, buses, trucks and 50 tonne truck and trailers, though only drive a car in Thailand. Driving my car is not selfish as it is for work and pleasure and is a 7 seater Fortuner allowing space for our work team and gear.

Vocal Neal, as mentioned, I agree with you that there are bad drivers as well and I have banned the hire of certain van drivers from the transport company we use 'due to their driving', and need to add to that list with the driver we had last weekend at Ubon Ratchathani.

Fasteddie, DELETED, as your reply simply states that you would prefer to live in an unsafe and lawless society state.

I am a Farang though this post isn't just meant for me as it is the Thai people I work with that complain as much as me [Motorcyclists and other road users], and I would prefer to see the safety of all my family and workers of which many use motorcycles.

It is via such sites as ThaiVisa Forum, that issues can be discussed, and hopefully the powers to be will take note and do something positive.

Noted points:

It doesn't matter whether a person is rich or poor, the laws are put in place for the safety of 'ALL', and we all need to abide by them whether it involves bikes, cars, taxis, vans, buses trucks or pedestrians.

Training and experience 'starts at home', so who should we be training?

We may blame the police, though who are the police working under? Who is the voice that needs to be heard and how is that going to be done?

Re Super bikes or Touring bikes on toll roads. This is a good point and understandable, though how can you ensure the rider has the experience to safely be there. As pointed out, there are drivers that shouldn't even be on the road and many don't even follow the posted speed limits. Maybe a certain cycle class of 500cc+ and endorsed defensive riding class would be sufficient.

Ubon Ratchathani would be a great ride, especially along the Mekong route with the gentle hills and many curves, though watch out for the uneven surface and holes in the road.

If I was asked 'can I ride a horse' the answer is yes, although I have never been trained to control a horse even when I was a shepherd. The same principle should be used for all road users. Many can ride a bike or drive a car, although many can not control such vehicles when circumstances change, or the operator doesn't think about the 'what if' situation.

If any honest and thoughtful cycle club comes up with a list of positive changes to go to Government, I will sign the petition, so how about it?

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

Don't need a list, there is already one available, it's called the law! Unfortunately these people don't follow it and the police don't enforce it because there is no money in it for them. Malaysia and Vietnamese enforce the law and the mosai riders wear helmets.

I think a large percentage of riders are unlicensed? Not that being licensed here is anything spectacular but it helps.

I realised my pet peeve as a rider isn't cars, but some of the other riders and their antics. Suddenly cutting up on you from behind when the lights turn green, stopping without indicating, not maintaining a constant speed, etc.

Yea, it's the lack of education and enforcement. Not forgetting some of the more special traits of our host nation. I can never understand how looks are so important here that it's the main reason why most don't bother with helmets. TIT indeed.....