THE England thread

rijit

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Didn't we beat them in 98?  

I was just wondering if Belgium were not up to tournie speed for a long while on account of the odd nature of the qualifying group.  I hope England aren't so sluggish.  

A more full blooded match between England and Belgium might have been better preparation.

Belgium were not at the races for the 1st half of there 1st game against Panama....and there defence....aint that good.

I dont want to be the kiss of death but all the nations that could not rest players for there last group games,have so far .....all gone home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithsimmonds said:

Belgium were not at the races for the 1st half of there 1st game against Panama....and there defence....aint that good.

I dont want to be the kiss of death but all the nations that could not rest players for there last group games,have so far .....all gone home.

If thats accurate . It's a bloody good observation

3 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Can you explain that comment please !

Neither England or Belgium were involved in full blooded matches- in fact the opposition was rather poor as it transpired.  And in their match they fielded reserve teams.  Japan were involved in real tussles.  Belgium didn't seem to get in to gear until quite late on so that leads me to wonder if they were somewhat behind the general pace of the tournament.

3 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Can you explain that comment please !

Both England and Belgium had qualified already so the match was a dead rubber, as predicted, the runners-up in the group ended up in what looks like the easier half of the draw.

Because of those circumstances the two teams were not playing at full throttle, sometimes it can be a problem to readjust for the next match.

That's how I read it, anyway.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Both England and Belgium had qualified already so the match was a dead rubber, as predicted, the runners-up in the group ended up in what looks like the easier half of the draw.

Because of those circumstances the two teams were not playing at full throttle, sometimes it can be a problem to readjust for the next match.

That's how I read it, anyway.

And that is indeed exactly what I meant.

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I think England will get through tonight, they are a better team than Colombia. 

think james rodrigues being out means that might be true. if hamez was starting i'd fancy colombia.

If an attacking player is fouled off the pitch next to the penalty area, is it a penalty or a free kick, and if it is a free kick where is it taken from?

Referring to the push on Sterling in opening minutes. 

terrible reffing for the clear headbutt on henderson. should have gone.

england need to be more confident here and take it to colombia. look nervous and afraid to lose, it's knockout now, give it a go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StevieH said:

england need to be more confident here and take it to colombia. look nervous and afraid to lose, it's knockout now, give it a go.

It’s all too slow. They are in danger of doing a Spain. All possession and no end product. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

They are a disgrace. Watch the discipline get even worse now behind. 

What worries me is England lads getting sucked in to it, and they are doing now. 

Just leave them to it, they are minutes away from 10 men the way they are carrying on.

Like you say disgraceful behaviour, the ref is not dealing with it well either

Edited by BangrakBob

4 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

What worries me is England lads getting sucked in to it, and they are doing now. 

Just leave them to it, they are minutes away from 10 men the way they are carrying on.

Like you say disgraceful behaviour, the ref is not dealing with it well either

They are trying to suck us into it, it’s their only hope to get us down to 10men. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieH said:

always easy in retrospect but probably just as well he wasn't given a red else Henderson, arguably, would/should  have have had the same for his little backward butt.

26 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Fair play to Dier for keeping his nerve. <deleted> me we like to make things hard!

yeah but lookin at it again it wasnt  particulry well placed and the goalie WILL be disappointed he didn't turn it around the post,, however  who gives  Flyin   WERE THROUGH yeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

always easy in retrospect but probably just as well he wasn't given a red else Henderson, arguably, would/should  have have had the same for his little backward butt.

Yeah but then he wouldnt have missed a penalty...lol