THE England thread

rijit

7 hours ago, Sparkles said:

England should beat Croatia but we all know thats up to the football Gods.If I remember correctly Croatia have  played 2 lots of extra time and in the last game looked very "leggy".Their key players are heading towards the final stages of their careers and England are fresh ,that should have a big bearing on the game.Can't see Young, if in the run on side, playing 90

The international pundits I've read/heard have Croatia as the favourites, but I reckon, like you, they could get 'leggy'.

1881453287_2018_FIFA_World_Cup_Russia_-_Matches_-_FIFA.com_-_2018-07-12_01_14_40.png.fd332eb7f9309870c47d58c2e5d2f442.png

5 minutes in. Trippier free kick (if anyone deserves an England goal, it's Trippier - (fantastic skill and effort in every match)

I missed the first half of England's opening match against Tunisia and they won. So now I can't watch the 1st half of any England match, in case I jinx them.

I'm just using the FIFA website every few minutes to get an update on the score.

Another goal before half-time would be great.

20 minutes ago, carmine said:

First half we were better by a clear margin with Sterling our best player.  Rest just speaks for itself, the Croats were better.

thought henderson was the best player on the pitch the first half. sterling had them on the back foot and was frightening them but bizarrely he apparently only had 22 touches?

wasn't unexpected in the end really, england were knocked out by the first actually good team they played and the three at the back got exposed in the second half when croatia ramped it up. hope they win it. nation of just four million people it's an incredible achievement getting to the final.

2 hours ago, StevieH said:

thought henderson was the best player on the pitch the first half. sterling had them on the back foot and was frightening them but bizarrely he apparently only had 22 touches?

wasn't unexpected in the end really, england were knocked out by the first actually good team they played and the three at the back got exposed in the second half when croatia ramped it up. hope they win it. nation of just four million people it's an incredible achievement getting to the final.

They were the better side but I still expect them to lose the final comfortably. 

We failed to adapt after the break to their change in formation and too many players didn’t perform. 

Its a step in the right direction but we still have a long way to go. 

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

They were the better side but I still expect them to lose the final comfortably. 

We failed to adapt after the break to their change in formation and too many players didn’t perform. 

Its a step in the right direction but we still have a long way to go. 

It is unlikely to happen whilst the top 2 teams; City and Chelsea; hoover up all the best youth players and then don't play them in their first teams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, champers said:

Very good. Now go and eat your coco pops and get ready for school.

it was certainly a worthwhile contribution to the thread by friend mike west.

but then he started a whole new thread about the same subject so you'd have to imagine he's a wee bit attention-starved in the real world.

8 minutes ago, StevieH said:

it was certainly a worthwhile contribution to the thread by friend mike west.

but then he started a whole new thread about the same subject so you'd have to imagine he's a wee bit attention-starved in the real world.

You have to feel sorry for them. The jocks I work with were all supporting Croatia last night and jumping up and down at the final whistle line they had won the game. 

Takes all sorts I guess. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

You have to feel sorry for them. The jocks I work with were all supporting Croatia last night and jumping up and down at the final whistle line they had won the game. 

Takes all sorts I guess. 

The jocks that behave like this, and not all do,  just come across as jealous, small minded and bitter.  I just think its funny, because they think they are being so amusing but in fact look really stupid!!

• Like 2

England simply have no midfielder like Modric, and that skews the way we play.  There wasn't really an answer.  Otherwise the rest of the team are fine.  I'm sure the end product would have come.

Rashford is not going to come through at a club like Man Utd- he really needs a spell at Bournemouth or Burnley, where he can develop as a striker who can score goals.  It needs to happen soon.

I am not so disappointed because I don't see this as a one in thirty year thing!  But we do need a couple of real midfielders.  You have to take your hat off to Henderson but really he is a squad player at best.

I would have gambled on Lewis Cook- after all he is a world cup winner.  

• Like 1

England should have been at least 2 goals up at half time.  Kane and Lingard should have scored and it would have been a  completely different story. 

Because you owned the first half. 

Then everything just fall apart. I am impressed by the Croatians who never got tired of running.  They also had the experience that England lacked. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, balo said:

England should have been at least 2 goals up at half time.  Kane and Lingard should have scored and it would have been a  completely different story. 

Then everything just fall apart. I am impressed by the Croatians who never got tired of running.  They also had the experience that England lacked. 

kane should have squared it to sterling.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, balo said:

Taking chances is so important.  It was a fault right from the start.

11 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I said at half time that to a mate that if we keep giving Modric space he will hurt us. He bossed the second half and as you say we have no one who can play that role at present. 

Alli went missing again, Henderson huffs and puffs but lacks real class. 

Your point about Rashford is a good one. Last night he showed why he is a non starter. I remember when Lingard went to Birmingham and it was the making of him. Rashford has undoubted talent but he needs games to develop. Looks out of his depth at international level. 

Semi final is a good achievement and a step forwards from what most expected. There is still a lot of talent waiting on the wings, Gomez, Arnold to name but two. So the future looks bright. 

Great posting imo.

• Like 1

Despite all the hyperbole in England, the biggest achievement is not being total failures and putting up reasonably creditable performances.

If you wonder how England would have played with Big Sam in the job, then it's probably just like they have in Russia. We bypassed midfield and looked to battle for free kicks and corners, maybe try and win some penalties. Send the big lads up for set pieces, score with headers. Not pretty, but effective.

5 hours ago, StevieH said:

Have a watch of the 1st half again and count how many times Henderson just punted the ball up the pitch to no one, you sure you was watching the same game as everyone else ?

Touches stats can be misleading, Sterling actually made only 10 passes in the whole of the game !!

Edited by alfieconn