THE England thread

rijit

6 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Out of the three potential captains Kane, Cahill and Henderson I would imagine Kane is the only guaranteed starter. Maybe that came into the calculations. 

I think you are right and thats why i think Kane is the correct pick.  Yes, i'd like a Viera/Keane style midfielder with the armband but lets face it, we don't have one.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

I think you are right and thats why i think Kane is the correct pick.  Yes, i'd like a Viera/Keane style midfielder with the armband but lets face it, we don't have one.

Yeah so big softy arse is the best captain, I guess this could potentially look like a pretty stupid decision next week. 

13 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Yeah so big softy arse is the best captain, I guess this could potentially look like a pretty stupid decision next week. 

Come Bob, he's a model professional and always gives it 100%.  And he's going to start if fit.  As for the tournament, the team will screw up again, the press will slag them off as usual and we'll all be focusing on next season.  

Heres a good question to ponder;  what on earth gave the FA that Southgate was in any way qualified for the job, let alone the best candidate available?

BTW,  Are you really trying to suggest Henderson has England captain written all over him!!

None of them do!!!

19 minutes ago, carmine said:

Come Bob, he's a model professional and always gives it 100%.  And he's going to start if fit.  As for the tournament, the team will screw up again, the press will slag them off as usual and we'll all be focusing on next season.  

Heres a good question to ponder;  what on earth gave the FA that Southgate was in any way qualified for the job, let alone the best candidate available?

BTW,  Are you really trying to suggest Henderson has England captain written all over him!!

None of them do!!!

My point is an English player will have captained his team to a second European final next week. Henderson is without doubt the best option for  captain,  not someone who is more interested in his race for a golden boat than his team and went to great lengths to prove that. 

To be honested though I’m more interested in Liverpool winning a comer than England a cup.

agree with everything else you have said. 

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

My point is an English player will have captained his team to a second European final next week. Henderson is without doubt the best option for  captain,  not someone who is more interested in his race for a golden boat than his team and went to great lengths to prove that. 

To be honested though I’m more interested in Liverpool winning a comer than England a cup.

So he shouldn't be captain because the ball touched his shoulder?  At the end of the day, he sets his personal standards at a very high level and has the respect of the players and the opposition.  You might think Henderson should be captain but to say its without doubt would have to make you a Liverpool fan.  I have always had the opinion that a captain leads by example and Kane is as good an example as you'll get.

Anyway i too would rather focus on the CL so we'll agree to differ.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

None of them do!!!

Southgate has had a long career at the top as a player, played lots for England including experience of tournaments, been a league manager, been England u23s manager, is highly respected, not controversial, and most important of all, he looks good in a blazer..an obvious choice as England manager.

"He won the League Cup with both Aston Villa and Middlesbrough (in 1995–96 and 2003–04 respectively, and as captain), and captained Crystal Palace to win the First Division championship in 1993–94. He also reached an FA Cup and UEFA Cupfinal as a player, and made 57 appearances for the England national team, featuring in the 1998 FIFA World Cup and both the 1996 and 2000 European Championships. His playing career ended in May 2006 at the age of 35, and after more than 500 league appearances, he was subsequently appointed Middlesbrough manager. He served as manager of Middlesbrough from June 2006 until October 2009, then managed the England U21 team from 2013 to 2016, before becoming the England national team manager in 2016...".

never liked having strikers as captain to be honest. that said the england captain thing is overrated by the absurd press, most other top countries don't really give a monkeys about who their captain is, england make it into a really big deal. the players don't play together often enough for it to be particularly important like it is at club level.

that also said, i like bob would rather liverpool won a tombola than england any trophy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

We're all aware of his history BB.

I look great in a kilt but no way would I manage my country!

Seems Carmine might not be aware of Southgate's  history though, based upon:

"good question to ponder;  what on earth gave the FA that Southgate was in any way qualified for the job, let alone the best candidate available?".

the main qualification southgate had for getting the england job was that he is english.

there's hundreds of better-qualified managers in the game but most of them have the massive drawback of being born somewhere warmer and only speaking english as their second language.

Edited by StevieH
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, StevieH said:

the main qualification southgate had for getting the england job was that he is english.

there's hundreds of better-qualified managers in the game but most of them have the massive drawback of being born somewhere warmer and only speaking english as their second language.

and they've got better things to do with their lives ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

and they've got better things to do with their lives ?

i feel a bit bad for southgate, he seems like quite a likeable man. 'cos the FA had scraped the very bottom of the barrel when appointing allardyce and for southgate to get the job after that fatheaded gobshite must be a bit demeaning.

• Like 2

I see Harry Kane is going out on a limb by saying that "England can win the World Cup"....."I believe we can win it - anyone can (mind how you go mate, people might think you're some sort of judge). "I cannot sit here and say we cannot win it because we could do." Replace the "can" and "could" with "will" and "would" and this statement might have made me sit up and take notice. But no, just the usual hackneyed b****cks from the mouths of idiots as fodder to the masses. I'm surprised there wasn't a "I hope so" somewhere in the piece.

6 minutes ago, oldgit said:

I see Harry Kane is going out on a limb by saying that "England can win the World Cup"....."I believe we can win it - anyone can (mind how you go mate, people might think you're some sort of judge). "I cannot sit here and say we cannot win it because we could do." Replace the "can" and "could" with "will" and "would" and this statement might have made me sit up and take notice. But no, just the usual hackneyed b****cks from the mouths of idiots as fodder to the masses. I'm surprised there wasn't a "I hope so" somewhere in the piece.

Apparently he demands his Spurs teammates to call him "H" ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Just don't think it's ideal for a centre forward to be the captain.  If he's in the thick of the game he'll be too busy regaining breath.

16 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Just don't think it's ideal for a centre forward to be the captain.  If he's in the thick of the game he'll be too busy regaining breath.

It's always central players looking at the game in front of them. a forward as captain is just a token of appeasement for big soft Harry

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I've been demanding for months that you all call me the plank and so far only one member prostrates himself daily and refers to me by my chosen name. :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Honestly Bob!!  You sure its not the Guv'nor?   

As has been said, its not such a big deal anyway.

I seem to remember Thompson being your captain but everyone was fully aware, including him, the real captain on the pitch was Souness.

14 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Don't give it oxygen Stevie mate...they are <deleted> <deleted> the lot of them.

think highlighting what a bunch of flagrantly racist <deleted> they are is worth the oxygen in this case ronnie mate. 

but then about half of the population of england seems to be flagrantly racist <deleted> as well so it's probably pissing in the wind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StevieH said:

think highlighting what a bunch of flagrantly racist <deleted> they are is worth the oxygen in this case ronnie mate. 

but then about half of the population of england seems to be flagrantly racist <deleted> as well so it's probably pissing in the wind.

Sadly i think you can say that about most if not all  countries - racist and/or xenophobic.

7 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sadly i think you can say that about most if not all  countries - racist and/or xenophobic.

possibly. but i've not seen examples of other countries' biggest-selling newspapers slandering one of their footballers based on the colour of his skin ahead of a world cup. england's press plumbs its own unique depths of the gutter.

notwithstanding that this is the england thread and also "other countries can be racist too" isn't much of a defence really.

• Like 1