3BB fibre quietly upgraded to 100 mbps?

roly

Now as to the meat of that conversation, and the issue of international vs domestic speeds/bandwidth on their fiber plan.

One of the questions I'd asked the Call Center staff was about the Premier internet plans that 3BB used to offer, and whether they still did offer them or not. The Call Center staff maintained that 3BB no longer has Premier plans, and that they only have the one fiber plan at 100/10. OK.

So, this morning in talking with the 3BB network guy, when I ask the question about international vs. domestic and mentioned that a lot of my use is international, his first response was to say I might be happier with a 3BB Premier plan. And I said, HUH????? And explain to him what the Call Center had told me, And his reply was, yes, they still do offer Premier plans, and that if I want to try that as an alternative at some point, just call or email him, and he'll switch the routing on my service.

Now, the thing about their current or former Premier plans is they have/had much lower stated bandwidth levels, topping out at either 4 or 5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. But supposedly, the Premier service means 3BB will give those customers higher priority for international data use, and perhaps a lower contention rate (less traffic on your line/circuit).

Frankly, I don't know if any of that is true. There seems to be some considerable debate out on the net about whether 3BB's current and/former Premier service actually provided anything real of value in terms of better and more stable performance for international use, or whether those plans were just, as some have dubbed them, a kind of "farang tax" where 3BB would charge higher prices to farang customers without actually giving them any faster international speeds or better/more stable performance.

I don't see any reference to Premier packages on the current 3BB website. But when I did a Google search, I found a still alive 3BB page (though I'm not sure it's linked anywhere) that shows a Premier package from about 4 years ago of 5 Mb down and 1 Mb up for 2500b per month. But again, that was their pricing of 4-5 years ago.

http://www.3bb.co.th/promotion/mono.php

If I understood the 3BB network guy correct, his suggestion was to try the 100/10 Mbps fiber package and see how that performs for international use. And if I'm not satisfied with that, to call or email him and he'd switch my service to what he said would be like a 4 or 5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up Premier package -- apparently for the same monthly price.

Of course, the interesting/curious question that raises is -- is the international performance of 3BB's 100/10 fiber package so poor that one of their own tech staff is suggesting I might be better off with a 4 or 5 Mbps Premier package instead???

I guess I'll begin to find out in a week or so after they do my fiber installation at home.

The Premier package isn't a Fibre option (iirc) so how can you be switched to a package that uses a different set of equipment?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tech guy says I can... and he can do it upon request.. How I don't know... After all, their call center says Premier plans no longer are offered.

When I asked the tech guy about that, his answer was... they handle sales, but he handles the tech... He can do.

BTW, I don't know that Premier is "a different set of equipment". It's just them assigning a different routing scheme that supposedly works better/gives more priority for international use. Whether that's actually the case or not, is the question.

Hoping folks here who actually have the 100/10 fiber at present can post some TestMy.net speed test results from their West Coast servers that would help answer these questions.

I seriously do not understand why anyone would spend time over the phone with 3bb tech guys.. outside of the top 1% important guys in the company, most of these guys are kids that play diablo in game cafe and learned how to restart a router.

Even the guys installing fiber have 0 technical knowledge

That's certainly been my experience with True Online.

But the 3BB guy who called me this morning was no kid but an actual grown adult, as I said, his English was excellent, and he seemed to know the tech we were talking about.

I had the 30/3 fiber deal this was upgraded to 100/10 fiber.. Initially it was OK. But then I seemed to be having stability problems.. I got the technician out, he did the ping and speed test. Told me it was fast etc.. I got the wife to explain that the 30/3 was stable and I wanted it back.. I stressed I wanted stable internet over super fast unstable.. Over a few days he did some adjustments and now according to him I'm on 30/5.. This is upheld by testmy results.. Speed test show 90/5.. I'm extremely happy as it is extremely stable again.. Lovely!

Thanks for that comment. That's an interesting and useful tidbit I'll keep handy when the 3BB folks come to do my install....

So, just to be clear, they're billing you for their 1200b+ 100/10 fiber service. But seem internally to have adjusted it to a more stable download that tops out at around 30?

It does not make much sense that fiber would be more stable at 30/5 instead of 100/10 profile. DSL yes because of copper limitation.

Sounds more like a problem between the ears or a local hardware/software problem,

unless they have FTTC which would mean that the last mile is copper and not FTTH where the fiber goes inside your house directly into the modem.

3762035.png

that is the best test you can do.

this is on US only servers, i chose the crappiest ones

OR, USA 244ms TX, USA 266ms IL, USA 281ms GA, USA

300ms

no west coast just middle and east usa.

3762056.png

If that's not enough for some of you at 40$ per month, i guess nothing will ever please you

Edited by bearpolar

They upgraded in Udon two weeks ago.

Says 130 mbps sometimes...and then goes to 65. However, my wife is on youtube watching thai soaps in HD twenty four/7.

Speed depends on routing, and servers available to (and from) the site you connect to, as well as number of "gateways".

Also depends on demand for that site. Many of the sites I have been visiting are even slower than before the upgrade.

lol makes me think they upgraded to cover up a gateway that was shut.

Edited by slipperylobster

I had the 30/3 fiber deal this was upgraded to 100/10 fiber.. Initially it was OK. But then I seemed to be having stability problems.. I got the technician out, he did the ping and speed test. Told me it was fast etc.. I got the wife to explain that the 30/3 was stable and I wanted it back.. I stressed I wanted stable internet over super fast unstable.. Over a few days he did some adjustments and now according to him I'm on 30/5.. This is upheld by testmy results.. Speed test show 90/5.. I'm extremely happy as it is extremely stable again.. Lovely!

Thanks for that comment. That's an interesting and useful tidbit I'll keep handy when the 3BB folks come to do my install....

So, just to be clear, they're billing you for their 1200b+ 100/10 fiber service. But seem internally to have adjusted it to a more stable download that tops out at around 30?

Yes. Being billed for my original 30/3 which is now 100/10.

It does not make much sense that fiber would be more stable at 30/5 instead of 100/10 profile. DSL yes because of copper limitation.

Sounds more like a problem between the ears or a local hardware/software problem,

unless they have FTTC which would mean that the last mile is copper and not FTTH where the fiber goes inside your house directly into the modem.

3762035.png

no idea why. My connection is a fiber cable to the home.. I just know I do not get complaints now. And it is just as stable as before but faster. So I'm happy!

What your monthly rate for a 30/3 plan that supposedly doesn't exist anymore?

----------------------------------------

BTW, re a prior comment by another poster, the 3BB fiber is supposed to be fiber to the home (FTTH), meaning it's fiber all the way from the street inside into the modem/router on your desk.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

What your monthly rate for a 30/3 plan that supposedly doesn't exist anymore?

----------------------------------------

BTW, re a prior comment by another poster, the 3BB fiber is supposed to be fiber to the home (FTTH), meaning it's fiber all the way from the street inside into the modem/router on your desk.

1,200b. I have a fiber cable coming into the house and connected to the modem/ router.

3762035.png

no idea why. My connection is a fiber cable to the home.. I just know I do not get complaints now. And it is just as stable as before but faster. So I'm happy!

Did you try other computers before making them slow your connections? FTTH has no reason to be sluggish with higher profiles.

The only possibility i see is that the idiot putting it broke some of the fiber cable by bending it at some spots. With the installation i had, i wouldnt be surprised if most of the fiber from your house to the central is broken, these guys are not careful at all.

Mine left a roll of fiber in the middle of my living room and said "don't touch that part"

yeah really?

3762035.png

Did you try other computers before making them slow your connections? FTTH has no reason to be sluggish with higher profiles.

The only possibility i see is that the idiot putting it broke some of the fiber cable by bending it at some spots. With the installation i had, i wouldnt be surprised if most of the fiber from your house to the central is broken, these guys are not careful at all.

Mine left a roll of fiber in the middle of my living room and said "don't touch that part"

yeah really?

I'm happy so no worries. Everything works now as it should.. And honestly from what I signed up for it's still faster!

I certainly will follow up.. My install is scheduled for this Thurs, so things will start from there.

But, as you know, internet performance is affected by lots of things beyond just which ISP you're relying on -- the technology involved, how many other customers in your neighborhood are using the same service, how new or old the cabling/fiber involved is, how far is your home from their main switch, etc etc.

But considering how lousy and unreliable True Online has become for me over a long period of time, 3BB would have to work really hard to be any worse (I think!).

I downloaded 3.5gb windows updates at 115mbps(14mb/s?) yesterday.

Very surprising as usually windows update is slow everywhere.

3BB parent company JasTel has direct peering with M$ in Singapore

20 AS8075 Microsoft (SG) International Providers 10 Gbps. Peering/ IPv6 Dual Stack

Thats why you get faster speeds. Same goes for youtube / google for every and each Thai ISP.

Don't judge the quality of your internet connection from stuff that has to do with Microsoft, Google/Youtube, Facebook and some other big players.

They all deliver content from within the region.

No sea cable involved (for you).

Also smaller websites use content delivery via Akamai, Amazon Web Services etc.

Not comparable with content that really comes from overseas.

Thaivisa: from Singapore via AWS (Amazon Web Services).

Most of the big software updates (like from Adobe, Java) come through such content delivery.

Otherwise the internet would be completely stuck for long.

Edited by KhunBENQ

i use both -- TestMy.net and my router's internal speed monitoring function.

The reason I use both is, at least on my router, it only shows a visual graph and the ever changing CURRENT speed, but it doesn't seem to show averages over time. Which is what TestMy.net gives, is the average download speed for a given download size.

If you look at my TP-Link router's chart (this one is monitoring an Amazon Prime video via a VPN connection over wifi), it gives you a general idea overall, but hard to make exact comparisons.

post-58284-0-76230300-1462177815_thumb.j

Re 3BB's stated 100 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up plan -- assuming they have fiber service to your area -- those stated speeds for 1200+b per month are a much better price/value than the comparable True Online stated speed plans at the 100 Mbps level. The True Online website prices their 100/10 service at 5000b per month.

Now, how the two different 100/10 plans perform in real life comparatively, let's say for international downloading or streaming, is anyone's guess. I don't think I can ever recall anyone here on TV ever posting re having subscribed to a True Online 100/10 service for 5000b per month.

post-58284-0-28548600-1462204329_thumb.j

True Online really seems stuck on their 30/3 packages at the upper end of their service . Most of their phone/internet/cable TV bundles all top out at 30/3. And you'll notice, once you get beyond those stated speeds, their monthly pricing begins to get a bit silly.

In my past experience with True Online, paying for their higher priced/higher stated speed plans didn't produce any meaningful improvement/increase in their international, single stream speeds. But I've never personally tested going up to their 5K a month plan.

The various Thai ISPs in theory can provide whatever stated speeds on their various plans that they want. How those various plans perform in real life use, however, is an entirely separate matter.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

So, had a 9 am or so install appointment this morning with 3BB for FTTH. They showed up about 9:30 am, which was reasonable, and still waiting for them to finish the connections now at 11:30 am, the last piece apparently being turning on the service outside. Everything inside the home is done.

This is the Huawei Wifi N router they showed up with, HG8245H. Haven't had any chance yet to see whether they'll have a router ID and password to give me.

post-58284-0-00615500-1462422748_thumb.j

post-58284-0-19339300-1462422769_thumb.j

^^^^ That information is on a label on the bottom of the unit.. The instructions are for the 3BB line.. Make sure you get the 3BB login passwords.. They should be on the receipt.

Yes, that's correct, although it took a call to 3BB English customer service to get a full explanation (something the install techs couldn't do, even in Thai).

On the bottom of the router, there is a pre-printed manufacturer label with the router log-in ID and password on it. On mine, the router log-in ID is the standard "admin" without the quote marks, and then a 4 letter/number password. That's what you use to get into the router menus.

But then, on the top right corner of your install paperwork, there's another/different user name and password printed, with that user name ending XXXXX@3bbfttx.

According to 3BB Customer Service, in situations such as where the electrical power has gone out or you've needed to press the RESET button on the back of the router, they said you'd still use the admin and short password first to get back into the router menus. But then, in those kind of situations, the router would ask you subsequently to enter your longer 3BB ID and password in order to re-provision the router.

Thus, you'd certainly want to save/keep the longer user ID and password on the install paperwork for those instances when it might become necessary to use it.

But more to the main point: to the poster before who said he couldn't access the Huawei fiber routers, it in fact is the case that you appear to have full access to them and all their various settings -- provided you have and use the proper log-in ID and passwords.