Needed technical update for forums full of YouTube embeds that load like shti

flyDelight

This forum needs a technical update for forums full of YouTube embeds.

How can you expect let guys embed tens of videos directly on the page without causing loading problems and freezing/crashing computers, that's amateurish and can even cause problems with the rest of the website. Even in replies the same videos are embedded again.

There is software that generates an image from the featured image of a video with a fake play button, looks like a videoplayer but it's just an image (sample), but other then on this website, you should let the video load in a lightbox. This way you avoid tens of embeds loading at the same time but only when someone clicks to play.

Easy does it and welcome in 2016.

Or use a browser that guards you from autoplaying, which most browsers do in 2016. They're usually turned on by default, but if you have turned it off for some reason, then it can be turned on in advanced settings (chrome). Just google it (2016) if you're using a different browser.

Maybe you should do something about your freezing/crashing computer? I don't have that problem and YouTube videos don't auto start or auto download at all for me. All I get is the image of the vid until I click the start button. I have a fast computer, gobs of RAM (16gig) Windows 10, Google Chrome and it's all as smooth as glass.

This is 2016, you know. thumbsup.gif

• 5 weeks later...

dlyDelight, please be so kind as to give an example of a post with an embedded video that starts automatically on your computer (right-click on the post number, copy the URL and paste it into your post). Kindly also give information about your computer's operating system and the type of browser you are using.

With this information, some members reading this topic can try to reproduce your problem and hopefully post a solution. For all I know, it may be as simple as a change in one of your browser settings.