Will Terminal 21 coming to Pattaya impact on property prices?

Wasa

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always get a laugh,out of the people that say every month

You rent is wasted money. Four years ago my owner offered

To sell me the condo I rent for 2.2Mil Baht. Remodeled, 84 sq

Meter in nice community in Jomtien. I pay 9,500 Baht each month,

A good deal, but I am an excellent tenant and treat his property

With respect......2.2mil B =$67,000 at the time, instead of buying

I was able to purchase a Corp bond 15year paying 5.9% annually.

I added a little $75,000 @ 5.9=$4400X35B*12=12,900/month. Rent

Is still B9,500/ month...Owner,has since,

replaced the A/C, hot water

Heater, repaired the washer.....I have no problems, love renting and

Just signed another 24 month lease....when you buy, you must consider

The investment capital, loss of income, and peace of mind no repairs.

I always get a laugh when people don't understand economics. Clearly your condo isn't worth 2.2 M Baht based on the rent you pay. Now wonder he was trying to sell it to you!!!

OP, go for it if it suits you best

As mentioned, nice to have a place called home, your home. We have a very nice house here and after 2 months overseas work, I love coming home and relax. We spend a lot on improvements but since it's our home, it's money well spent.

In Your own home, you decide the size on the TV and how many and the real leather sofas have just been repaired and looks like new again, life is good.

It may or may not boost the worth of condos but it will probably make for a bit of a backstop

of prices in the area so there is less of a chance of prices going down.

I think Terminal 21 will have an impact on condo prices in that area; at the very minimum I think it will keep the prices stable and make a desirable area even more desirable, just as Central Festival did. VT6 is almost identical to VT3 and VT5 in terms of design and condo studio floorplans yet a 48sqm studio at VT6 commands a higher price than VT3 or VT5 studio units. No doubt in my mind it's due to being in town and next door to Central Festival. Harbor Mall, The Bay Shopping/Restaurant Center opening soon, and Asiatique on the drawing boards can't hurt, either.

Edited by Rimmer
fonts re sized

Most real estate prices worldwide are retreating and expect higher taxes, insurance premiums, and electrical bills.

I cant think of any country in the world that has retreating realestate prices. Please give us some examples. Edited by RBOP

Most real estate prices worldwide are retreating and expect higher taxes, insurance premiums, and electrical bills.

I cant think of any country in world that has retreating realestate prices. Please give is some examples.

Oh, I don't know.

Lemme check, yes.

Could it be ...

CHINA!cheesy.gif

I brought my nippers there for the first time today & was mightily impressed with the kidzone on the 7th floor.

Pattaya's been crying out for something like this.

Seen similar in the US.

This ticked all the boxes for me & we'll be regulars there even though it's far pricier than other Pattaya options.

Hat's off to them.

Didn't try any restaurants as mine were so shattered from running around that it was straight home for a wonderfully long afternoon snooze for whole family.

That was worth the entrance fee alone imo.

You what ? ..Think you posted on the wrong thread .

kidz zone? where ? i am just back from nz where there is a playground on every block.

Hi LMS I would love to get that kind of return. Are you willing to PM with the details of that or something similar? Thanks.

OP, go for it if it suits you best

As mentioned, nice to have a place called home, your home. We have a very nice house here and after 2 months overseas work, I love coming home and relax. We spend a lot on improvements but since it's our home, it's money well spent.

In Your own home, you decide the size on the TV and how many and the real leather sofas have just been repaired and looks like new again, life is good.

Exactly.

I think Terminal 21 will have an impact on condo prices in that area; at the very minimum I think it will keep the prices stable and make a desirable area even more desirable, just as Central Festival did. VT6 is almost identical to VT3 and VT5 in terms of design and condo studio floorplans yet a 48sqm studio at VT6 commands a higher price than VT3 or VT5 studio units. No doubt in my mind it's due to being in town and next door to Central Festival. Harbor Mall, The Bay Shopping/Restaurant Center opening soon, and Asiatique on the drawing boards can't hurt, either.

I've lived in the VT6 complex on soi 18, they are nice condos but definitely more pricey. My view is that Naklua is generally a more desirable area than Jomtien, its definitely more leafy.

One problem with VT6 is the constant stream of Chinese laden tourist buses that enter & exit the car park right on the bend of Soi 18 where it goes around to Centara Grand. Its constantly choked and diesel fumes are present when you eat in the VT6 restaurant at around 7.00pm every night.

Its nowhere near as bad further down the soi towards soi 16.

better off renting by far, why would you want to buy?

I am well aware of all the arguments for and against buying. I'm not a wide eyed newbie fresh off the plane and in lust, I have actually lived in the area for a few years and know the area inside out along with all the pros and cons.......

Renting tends to get tedious after a while. Never worried me when I was younger, but I believe we all want to call some place home and now being in my late fifties I want to have a small base in Pattaya and similar back in Aussie on the Sunshine Coast. In a few years I will eventually work online as a consultant in my specialized area of engineering and I want to be able to flit between the two locations as required. I want to be able to just pull the door shut and leave from each one without having to pack or worry about anything, and able to walk back in to either and start work within minutes. Renting doesn't suit this lifestyle.

I'm not in a hurry either. Currently working in the Philippines, I can afford to just sit back and wait for the right one to come along. The condos I am looking at are beachfront, very quiet, not shoeboxes, solid and secure and for that I will pay a premium, which I'm ok with. I would never purchase in one of the poor quality mass produced shoeboxes that are springing up around the place.

I'm not overly motivated by money either, its really just the lifestyle I'm looking for. If it doesn't go up well so be it, at least I'm not handing over rent money each month. The only reason I asked about prices increasing was general curiosity and to do with the timing of my purchase.

Well said....I feel quite a lot of the rent brigade only rent because they don't have 10, 15 million to buy a property...good luck to you sir, and welcome you to the buying brigade...it will save putting 20/25,000 baht or more a month into someone else's pocket Edited by Ghostnigel

Lived there in Northpoint for many years and loved it. Nice 3br unit, beachfront and was give or take 100,000 baht/month.

Buying a unit there would have been 25m and up I think. I highly doubt they went down in price over the years.

Overall I am glad I didn't buy as the building suddenly felt like the 'russian embassy' and we were somewhat happy to move out.

I would only recommend to buy if its pocket money to you. I wish I could call a condo or house in Thailand my own and stop renting, but the turnover in certain areas or buildings is just so high,

that you really never know how your next neighbor will be.

Some will play the piano at 3 in the morning to get on your nerves, others blast their music all day long.

If you go over and complain, chances are you're just about to open a can of worms and nothing else..

I totally get it what you mean by owning something - I want the same - but the risk / reward is just not there for me yet.

On top of it you got constantly changing visa rules. Even having a thai wife and kids makes it harder and harder every year to stay here.

Simply don't buy anything you can't walk away from.

When talking about Pattaya and property investment and appreciation I think you need to change that to speculation. I don't see the general concept of property appreciation applying in that area. But you also said you don't care about money in the same post.

As someone posted, it's not near an upcoming BTS/MRT station in BKK which would increase its desirability and in some cases value. But being near a mall when malls are not too far away in Pattaya seems like more a detriment because of traffic, noise, cleanliness, etc. without really adding much that you can't already get a few KMs away. It may be more desirable for some people for that same exact reason though. Shopping convenience, etc. if malls are your thing.

An area I see getting more built up now is Jomtien 2nd Road from the roundabout and southward. A new, huge buffet restaurant (Ninja Buffet) just opened, Atlantis condos are new, a couple other condo dev's, a handful of smaller new restaurants have just been built and opened in the last couple months. There is still open land there so if I were to buy with any hopes of maintaining the value of my condo or a slight chance of appreciation plus avoiding the congestion of where you are talking about, that is where I'd buy.

My gf works in the engineering field and knows all the good and bad developers and there's quite a bit of building going on in that area of Jomtien and we have looked there. There's everything nearby but it's not too crowded. A Big C, Home Pro, Tesco are barely 10 minutes away plus all the smaller shops.

Just my two cents.....

I am well aware of all the arguments for and against buying. I'm not a wide eyed newbie fresh off the plane and in lust, I have actually lived in the area for a few years and know the area inside out along with all the pros and cons.......

Renting tends to get tedious after a while. Never worried me when I was younger, but I believe we all want to call some place home and now being in my late fifties I want to have a small base in Pattaya and similar back in Aussie on the Sunshine Coast. In a few years I will eventually work online as a consultant in my specialized area of engineering and I want to be able to flit between the two locations as required. I want to be able to just pull the door shut and leave from each one without having to pack or worry about anything, and able to walk back in to either and start work within minutes. Renting doesn't suit this lifestyle.

I'm not in a hurry either. Currently working in the Philippines, I can afford to just sit back and wait for the right one to come along. The condos I am looking at are beachfront, very quiet, not shoeboxes, solid and secure and for that I will pay a premium, which I'm ok with. I would never purchase in one of the poor quality mass produced shoeboxes that are springing up around the place.

I'm not overly motivated by money either, its really just the lifestyle I'm looking for. If it doesn't go up well so be it, at least I'm not handing over rent money each month. The only reason I asked about prices increasing was general curiosity and to do with the timing of my purchase.

Well said....I feel quite a lot of the rent brigade only rent because they don't have 10, 15 million to buy a property...good luck to you sir, and welcome you to the buying brigade...it will save putting 20/25,000 baht or more a month into someone else's pocket

Well, I'm one that leans towards renting here. I own multiple properties in my home country in addition to other businesses and investments so I'm not part of your rent brigade. I think you need to make a distinction between spending money and wasting money. Also, between a primary residence as an investment vs. a place to call home regardless of the financial hit.

Like previously mentioned by another poster, the main reason I have not bought here because of the lack of respect people have for their neighbors and others in general. I've experienced too many horror stories myself of neighbors and loud just about everything. I'm a real quiet person and I'm fine with noisy crazy life in public in Thailand, I expect that, but I like my home to be my sanctuary. And yes, I have had that and do now with renting.

I don't want to hear what my neighbor is watching on TV, stereo, or them talking to each other. If you buy, who knows what and who you are anchored to around you. It's much easier to move from a rental than a purchased home.

Plus, I can get much better return on my money elsewhere than buying something here. Significantly more. I know about the status thing here too, it was like that in my home country. I don't care about trying to impress anyone with owning vs. renting. My biggest incentive for considering buying here is so I have less money in a Western country with a fragile economy.

Owning has its advantages of course. I miss having a house to work on my car or motorcycle, build little things for the house and have a backyard to kick back in. But now, I have a beach 100 yards away to kick back in instead.

In summary, each person has to figure out if the purchase is an investment or a personal choice based on personal/emotional reasons, not financial ones and go from there.

Just my two cents.....

Lived there in Northpoint for many years and loved it. Nice 3br unit, beachfront and was give or take 100,000 baht/month.

Buying a unit there would have been 25m and up I think. I highly doubt they went down in price over the years.

Overall I am glad I didn't buy as the building suddenly felt like the 'russian embassy' and we were somewhat happy to move out.

I would only recommend to buy if its pocket money to you. I wish I could call a condo or house in Thailand my own and stop renting, but the turnover in certain areas or buildings is just so high,

that you really never know how your next neighbor will be.

Some will play the piano at 3 in the morning to get on your nerves, others blast their music all day long.

If you go over and complain, chances are you're just about to open a can of worms and nothing else..

I totally get it what you mean by owning something - I want the same - but the risk / reward is just not there for me yet.

On top of it you got constantly changing visa rules. Even having a thai wife and kids makes it harder and harder every year to stay here.

Simply don't buy anything you can't walk away from.

>> but the turnover in certain areas or buildings is just so high,

that you really never know how your next neighbor will be.<<

Good point .I owned a small cheap Condo in the well managed Jomtien Beach Condominium .In my last year there a Falang and his Thai lady bought a unit almost directly opposite me in the hallway .They always kept their door open during daytime ,and so i was getting noise and cooking smells from their unit .In the unit directly opposite would sometimes stay a Thai family at weekends with a crying baby .I installed a metal sealed Senturian door in my unit which helped to some degree though .

Well said....I feel quite a lot of the rent brigade only rent because they don't have 10, 15 million to buy a property...good luck to you sir, and welcome you to the buying brigade...it will save putting 20/25,000 baht or more a month into someone else's pocket

Well, I'm one that leans towards renting here. I own multiple properties in my home country in addition to other businesses and investments so I'm not part of your rent brigade. I think you need to make a distinction between spending money and wasting money. Also, between a primary residence as an investment vs. a place to call home regardless of the financial hit.

Like previously mentioned by another poster, the main reason I have not bought here because of the lack of respect people have for their neighbors and others in general. I've experienced too many horror stories myself of neighbors and loud just about everything. I'm a real quiet person and I'm fine with noisy crazy life in public in Thailand, I expect that, but I like my home to be my sanctuary. And yes, I have had that and do now with renting.

I don't want to hear what my neighbor is watching on TV, stereo, or them talking to each other. If you buy, who knows what and who you are anchored to around you. It's much easier to move from a rental than a purchased home.

Plus, I can get much better return on my money elsewhere than buying something here. Significantly more. I know about the status thing here too, it was like that in my home country. I don't care about trying to impress anyone with owning vs. renting. My biggest incentive for considering buying here is so I have less money in a Western country with a fragile economy.

Owning has its advantages of course. I miss having a house to work on my car or motorcycle, build little things for the house and have a backyard to kick back in. But now, I have a beach 100 yards away to kick back in instead.

In summary, each person has to figure out if the purchase is an investment or a personal choice based on personal/emotional reasons, not financial ones and go from there.

Just my two cents.....

Well done mate, so you're a renter then....i got nothing against renters, but why do you lot always say buyers are stupid? Its always "you must be mad to buy in thailand", why? If thats what people want to do, its up to them. Not everyone has been 'burnt' by ex-gf's, you know.

The trick is, not to put any amount of money into thailand that you can't afford to lose...true?

Maybe you can't afford to lose a few mill, huh?

Its really up to the individual, buy or not buy, but don't say the other one is stupid...khao jai?

Edited by Ghostnigel

The Russians are mostly gone now and prices have dropped a little I think you will find. I have a 3 bed 132 sqm. on a high floor you can have for 21.9 million with a long term tenant paying 90k a month.