Why Build a Terminal 21 in Pattaya? by The Pattaya Sleuth

Inspire

how many upscale malls are there in pattaya...?

central festival is the only one I can think of...

so, it makes sense to build another mall with a different theme from the only other competitor given how many permanent residents and travelers there are in pattaya on an annual basis...

Edited by Ramen087
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

how many upscale malls are there in pattaya...?

central festival is the only one I can think of...

so, it makes sense to build another mall with a different theme from the only other competitor given how many permanent residents and travelers there are in pattaya on an annual basis...

You're dead right. One real shopping mall (with a department store) is not enough for a city the size of Pattaya. It probably could use 3 or 4 real malls over the whole area.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2017 at 10:53 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Most food courts have the card now, and I never found food that cheap in Terminal 21 food court. Do you have a specific stall in mind, as it's a very spread out place?

I doubt any poster on here can have tried all the different stalls, as so many, but I always found the MBK foodcourt to be the best for what I liked.

When the place is built, I doubt the food will be any better, or any cheaper than the many foodcourts in Pattaya. Most would go there, IMO, as it will be the "in place" till another one takes over.

MBK is more of an upmarket, tourist orientated food court with much higher prices (than Pier 21). MBK food court more closely resembles food courts like Food Wave at Garden Plaza or the new Food Park at Central Marina, or even Food Park at Central.

Pier 21 is kind of upmarket at budget prices, which appeals to the masses.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I've lived here for 4 years north of Pattaya.  The only place that is doing big business at Central is the food court downstairs that sells awful food at absorbent prices.  I've walked the mall many times.  Rarely seen a Substantial high-end purchase. One poster keeps reporting the tremendous growth factor and profits of the iCP Group Investor.  Now they would never lie would they. ? Central is mostly "looky lu's" and empty.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I've lived here for 4 years north of Pattaya.  The only place that is doing big business at Central is the food court downstairs that sells awful food at absorbent prices.  I've walked the mall many times.  Rarely seen a Substantial high-end purchase. One poster keeps reporting the tremendous growth factor and profits of the iCP Group Investor.  Now they would never lie would they. ? Central is mostly "looky lu's" and empty.

I agree about the food court there. T21 will blow that place away.

But, I walk it almost everyday as I go thru to walk the beach in fact just got back.

Monday afternoon and the place was crowded.

I do see people at the clothing stores on the lower levels buying things.

Most of the restaurants on the higher floors do OK in fact I have had to wait several times.

The banks are always crowded and that B2B? store does well.

I generally think Central is doing OK.  Not a ghost town like Harbor Mall.

As far as high end, I never get it here anyway.  These are not Monaco tourists..

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

I had been hoping that the famous HK dim sum place Tim Ho Wan that's in the Bangkok T21 would be opening at the T21 here.

Nope!
They're opening in Isaan instead at Nakgone Middle of Nowhere.

<deleted>? 

https://www.facebook.com/TimHoWanTH/

To any haters that say, who cares it's not any good anyway, you don't know what you're talking about.

But a silver lining is I can avoid the weight gain I would have eating there. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I had been hoping that the famous HK dim sum place Tim Ho Han that's in the T21 would be opening at the T21 here.

About two years ago I was surprised to see the Queen, along with a small entourage, eating in Tim Ho Han one evening...

Quite a few years back I dated a rather well-connected young lady who was part of the marketing team for T21 in Asoke. She told me that the Pier 21 Food Park was run as a loss-leader (or at very minimal profit) in order to draw customers through the mall.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HauptmannUK said:

About two years ago I was surprised to see the Queen, along with a small entourage, eating in Tim Ho Han one evening...

Quite a few years back I dated a rather well-connected young lady who was part of the marketing team for T21 in Asoke. She told me that the Pier 21 Food Park was run as a loss-leader (or at very minimal profit) in order to draw customers through the mall.

Sure yes, has been talked about on TVF that the vendors apparently get free rent.

As a consumer I do not care it is street food prices for decent food most plates about 40 b.

Its does get a lot of people into the mall whatever that is worth which must obviously be something.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So if Tim Ho Wan isn't coming what famous restaurant that is new to Pattaya IS coming? Something, I hope! 

I hope In and Out Burger.  But, probably not. ?

Edited by bkk6060

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I hope In and Out Burger.  But, probably not. ?

I don't think so either. 

But I do recall when T21 Bangkok opened a huge part of the buzz about it was that HK dim sum place opening. 

It would be a shame if Pattaya doesn't have something similar to that to get food people excited about. 
Yes, I know the food court, but it remains to be seen if the food court here is going to match the Bangkok one. 

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

You certainly aren't describing the Central Festival that greets me every time I go.  The place was an absolute zoo a couple Saturdays ago--and this is supposedly low season.   It reminded me once again to try to only go during the week when it's more like a normal mall with a more normal amount of people.  (By the way, how do you witness 'high-end' purchases?  Do you follow the customers around as they shop?  Inspect their shopping bags as they leave?)  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, champers said:

Is that In one end and Out the other in double-quick time? 

HAHA.  No problem, probably the #1 fast food burger in southern California.

I think many have never heard of it.

It truly is very fresh and good.

A double double is so fantastic.

• Like 1

Actually dreading it opening the traffic now is bad enough at weekends most will be like us when we go to central .just to walk around only ever spend money on food .as for harbour mall nobody even walks atound there .was in yesterday.there were 2 other people in the supermarket .and about 10 staff.goodness knows how long they can survive.the one in Leam Chabang closed down ages ago

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

And the foods not up to much.just made for tourists

No.  Seriously? I think you have probably never been there.

It is 95% Thais mostly the business people in the area going there to eat.

Mainly street type food and spicy Thai foods available not made for tourists only what so ever.....

• Like 1

No.  Seriously? I think you have probably never been there.
It is 95% Thais mostly the business people in the area going there to eat.
Mainly street type food and spicy Thai foods available not made for tourists only what so ever.....

I live not far away have eaten there a hundred times at least.still think its not spicy enough .mind you after having business in Thailand visiting and living here for 24 years i am almost Thai

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Really? I don't know. When I was there (just a few times) well over half of the happy eaters appeared to be Thai to me. 

You can thank air con for that. The food isn't that bad but just about double the price for better in T21

I was there last week and do believe I saw the blandest pizza slices for 150 baht / slice. You can get most soups in T21 for 25-35 baht. Cheapest at central were 60 baht