Theft Ring at a Supermarket

DogNo1

I am not going to mention any names or places to keep clear of the defamation protocol but shoppers should beware of theft rings operating at supermarket checkout counters. Today I lost for the second time about 3,000 baht worth of newly purchased medicine. On the previous occasion, I left the medicine in my shopping basket for the checker to put in a store bag along with my purchased items. There was some fumbling during the checkout and when I got home, I found that the medicine was missing. Today, I carefully took the small bag of medicine out of my basket and put it in the area where the items checked through are put. The checker fumbled with my credit card for some time, putting it into the chip verification reader the wrong way, taking it out, punching various numbers into the machine, then putting the card in correctly upon which it immediately accepted the transaction. I collected all of my bags and upon arriving home found that the small bag of medicine was missing. The checker successfully diverted my attention for about five minutes, long enough for an accomplice to lift the small bag of medicine. I had mistakenly thought that it was safe to put the bag down while I presented my membership card and credit card. Obviously even a few minutes of inattention are enough for the thieves to do their work. Members should be careful to NEVER leave fungible and resellable items unattended.

Thank you for taking time to report your problem.

DELETED. Two inhalers for me (to cure slight asthma problems) are already over 3.400 Baht.

I don't think organised thieves would target your medicine, don't see the market for it myself...

If it was cash or a smartphone sure, but this happened twice?? And they only took your medication?? Both times

Ask to see the cctv if you at suspicious of employees involvement... But hard to believe this so far

If you still have the receipt, it will show time, checkout number etc. You should report this to the management, they're usually well aware that some of the employees can be dishonest and will actively try to catch them.

DELETED. Two inhalers for me (to cure slight asthma problems) are already over 3.400 Baht.

I don't think organised thieves would target your medicine, don't see the market for it myself...

If it was cash or a smartphone sure, but this happened twice?? And they only took your medication?? Both times

Ask to see the cctv if you at suspicious of employees involvement... But hard to believe this so far

Which makes it the perfect heist. Nobody's expecting it.

Team up with a pharmacy employee that can give them a "refund" for medicine they didn't even buy, and they just made 10 days' salary at Thai minimum wage.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but thieves could write volumes about all the ways to fleece us that we wouldn't expect. And certainly not specific to Thailand.

Team up with a pharmacy employee that can give them a "refund" for medicine they didn't even buy, and they just made 10 days' salary at Thai minimum wage.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but thieves could write volumes about all the ways to fleece us that we wouldn't expect. And certainly not specific to Thailand.

a smartphone is worth 20-30k thesedays...

Easier than resell medication but if you're convinced medicine thieves are following you around then do something about it and report them to the supermarket :)

I think that it's the cashiers and their accomplices. If they do this to enough customers at 3,000 a pop, even split three ways it's probably equivalent to a few days' pay. I doubt that the cashiers and bag boys are making any more than 200 baht a day.

I have the receipt with the checker's name and the time of day. I will see the store manager tomorrow and ask to see the CCTV tape. I was very careful and only put down the small bag of medicine next to the other bags that I would carry home for a few minutes but it only takes a few seconds for skillful thieves to do their work. Anyone who has ever read Dickens's Oliver Twist will be aware of the skill of groups that pick pockets or snatch bags. I'd like to put a crimp in the activities of this theft ring but I'll be careful to speak to the managers privately. You can't predict the vindictiveness of people who are accused of wrongdoing and Thais don't handle frustration and anger well. Knives can appear in an instant.

BTW, is anyone aware of the amount that retail stores in the US lose to theft every year? It's more than you would imagine. I wonder how much Thai stores lose.

Scam that happened to me once at a Foodland: I had a lot of stuff and the cashier was taking his time. So I moved ahead to where the bagger was packing my stuff. Baggers will often ask how you want stuff arranged but this guy seemed to be making a show of it. "This is heavy, better double pack". "Shall I put this in this bag or you want it separate". "Careful with the apples, don't want them bruised." A lot of talk which made me slightly uncomfortable though I didn't think too much of it at the time.

The total was obviously going to be hefty given the amount of stuff but some second thought caused me to keep the receipt - normally I toss it pretty quickly - and crosscheck the goods at home. Sure enough there was an item on the receipt which I had never bought and couldn't find. I forget exactly what but about 100b. worth. Too late to do anything about. If I had checked in the store then maybe.

Easier than resell medication but if you're convinced medicine thieves are following you around then do something about it and report them to the supermarket

By that logic, there wouldn't be bands of thieves stripping wire out of buildings to steal the copper, either. Because wouldn't they be stealing smartphones, which are so much more valuable and easier to sell than scrap copper.

Yet, there are. And thieves who steal bicycles in spite of the fact that cars are worth a lot more money.

BTW, is anyone aware of the amount that retail stores in the US lose to theft every year? It's more than you would imagine. I wonder how much Thai stores lose.

I thought I read between 2 and 3% somewhere. But it's figured into the markups. We're paying, not the store.

I went to the store today and the manager played the CCTV tape for me. It turns out that I did have the bag of medicine when I left the large supermarket. Tomorrow I'll check the tape of a small shop in the basement of a building near my hotel where I stopped to buy some fruit. That is where I put my bags down for a minute while I handled the cash to pay for the fruit. I wonder if they'll be as cooperative as the large supermarket. As I said before, it only takes a minute or two of inattention for your things to disappear.

Good luck in a small shop in the basement of a building near your hotel.

I do hope someone catches the medicine thieves and their checkout employee and pharmacy assistant accomplices soon before any more numptys get kicked in the head.

I went to the store today and the manager played the CCTV tape for me. It turns out that I did have the bag of medicine when I left the large supermarket. Tomorrow I'll check the tape of a small shop in the basement of a building near my hotel where I stopped to buy some fruit. That is where I put my bags down for a minute while I handled the cash to pay for the fruit. I wonder if they'll be as cooperative as the large supermarket. As I said before, it only takes a minute or two of inattention for your things to disappear.

perfect service from the supermarket, I am impressed!

actually now you can name the supermarket to praise it

Easier than resell medication but if you're convinced medicine thieves are following you around then do something about it and report them to the supermarket

By that logic, there wouldn't be bands of thieves stripping wire out of buildings to steal the copper, either. Because wouldn't they be stealing smartphones, which are so much more valuable and easier to sell than scrap copper.

Yet, there are. And thieves who steal bicycles in spite of the fact that cars are worth a lot more money.

Your getting confused, let me simplify it for you

Fill the abandoned buildings with smartphones phones, cash and other valuables and then see what they target....

After that they might come to strip the copper wire though :)

Bicycle vs cars... Maybe you should try stealing both and see which one you can get in under 5 seconds .... Different types of thief out there

Jonatong: You would probably be amazed at the varieties of theft in Thailand (and elsewhere.) For example, it's not uncommon for pickpocket gangs to pass off what they relieve from the "mark" two or three times. For bag snatchers, there ways to divert a "mark's" attention and then pass the stolen item to accomplices. Many people are amazed by the amount of thievery going on. I was in Vietnam so I've seen it all. I could go into a lot of detail but one of the most remarkable theft rings in Vietnam was run by the Sergeant Major of the Army and his ring of sergeants major at different locations. They WERE caught and did get terms at Leavenworth. The amount that they stole ran into the millions. There is more thievery going on all the time than most people realize.

Jonatong: You would probably be amazed at the varieties of theft in Thailand (and elsewhere.) For example, it's not uncommon for pickpocket gangs to pass off what they relieve from the "mark" two or three times. For bag snatchers, there ways to divert a "mark's" attention and then pass the stolen item to accomplices. Many people are amazed by the amount of thievery going on. I was in Vietnam so I've seen it all. I could go into a lot of detail but one of the most remarkable theft rings in Vietnam was run by the Sergeant Major of the Army and his ring of sergeants major at different locations. They WERE caught and did get terms at Leavenworth. The amount that they stole ran into the millions. There is more thievery going on all the time than most people realize.

Are you sure it was only "millions" and not "billions"

Links to the reported detail please.

CCTV everywhere these days , just ask to see the tape . Employees would not dare to steal when they know they are being watched.

Conclusion, there is no theft ring at the supermarket.

The op probably forgot his small medicine bag at the next shop, where it may still be waiting for him.

Conclusion, there is no theft ring at the supermarket.

The op probably forgot his small medicine bag at the next shop, where it may still be waiting for him.

Indeed.. the people who said it was unlikely were right. Thanks for CCTV otherwise an other tale of bad Thais good farang would have been on Thaivisa. To be honest if the OP is so convinced it was stolen at the checkout and it was not, its quite likely he lost it himself.

Edited by robblok

I am not amazed at all by how much theft there is in the world. I am amazed that you decided to start a thread about a "theft ring at a supermarket" to warn others about a crime that wasn't actually committed. You saw the CCTV and had the bag when you left.

I am not amazed at all by how much theft there is in the world. I am amazed that you decided to start a thread about a "theft ring at a supermarket" to warn others about a crime that wasn't actually committed. You saw the CCTV and had the bag when you left.

I respect the OP for admitting he was wrong.. takes a good man to do so. He could have kept silent about him finding out he was not right.

Yes, a totally bizarre thread about a theft that never happened. And no apologies from the OP? That he falsely accused people of theft when it was him that was absent-minded? At least he was honest about the CCTV revelation--well done for that. There are other farangs on TV who would not have the courage to admit they were wrong. This is why I question many of the accusations made on TV about supposed events that occurred in Thailand.

You are forgetful and forgot your medicine, (twice), your problem, not your mysterious "pill popping pickpockets".

I have heard some strange stories during my time in Thailand but this is a first !

Supermarket checkout medicine thieves ?

That stretches the imagination !

I had 2 million baht stolen from me once ......

not sure what to call her ?

"Once bitten,twice shy",why on Earth would you go back and let it happen

a 2nd time !

The biggest scam at check out is over charging,whenever i go shopping

i make a list of the goods I am going to buy,add others as I go,fill prices

in, total them up, say it comes to 2,467 THB,that is what i expect their bill

to be, but so any times its not+, might just be 23 ,40, ect, but once at Makro

it was 1,356 Bhat,something was charged twice ,AND always count your

change.

regards worgeordie +but NEVER undercharged.

I have heard some strange stories during my time in Thailand but this is a first !

Supermarket checkout medicine thieves ?

That stretches the imagination !

I have discovered that it pay to read all posts before posting, dont wanna make an ass of myself.