“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito

webfact

“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito

606x341_331821.jpg

Serbs are celebrating the 36th anniversary of the death of Marshal Tito, the Communist leader of the former Yugoslavia, whose death sparked the breakup of the Balkan nation he had welded together.

Under Tito Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia were united and peaceful, but civil war erupted just 10 years after Tito’s 1980 death.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-05

Yes I did and Im not denying that it was peaceful but only because of Tito suppressing political dissent. That was obliviously just a band aid and there was always and underlying tension that eventually exploded into a brutal civil war

Seems interesting that in the West today some strive for the multicultural society and in other places it is held in place by a strong dictator only to find that when the strong hand is weakened it all collapses and brings violence. One only has to look at what is happening in Europe to realize that beneath all the superficial goodwill towards different ethnic groups there is some constant simmering of emotions. One has to wonder when it will all start boiling. Here in the USA I believe that for the most part there is an attempt to make room for the different ethnicities. But one can get a little irritated when watching demonstrations against Trump, where latino children are waving Mexican flags. Nothing irks me more than seeing people demonstrating against something waving flags of another country. If it is so great there that you must cling to that nations flag, go back it you don't like it.

You've got to be my age to even remember the guy. I bet less than 1% of people polled in a survey would have even heard of him no less know anything about him.

It was peaceful because the secret police rounded up all political activists and threw them in jail not unlike whats happening here in Thailand.

'er it was the reds in charge in former Yugoslavia. The reds in Thailand would be the old left led by Thida who certainly isn't either in charge and nor is she in prison as far as I am aware. Maybe you should look for a better comparison pair rather than the Balkans?

An off-topic post has been removed.

As tempting as it is to draw comparisons to this country, doing so has the potential to cause problems. For now, let's stick to comparisons that are either a lot more cryptic or to other countries.

Thanks.

Seems interesting that in the West today some strive for the multicultural society and in other places it is held in place by a strong dictator only to find that when the strong hand is weakened it all collapses and brings violence. One only has to look at what is happening in Europe to realize that beneath all the superficial goodwill towards different ethnic groups there is some constant simmering of emotions. One has to wonder when it will all start boiling. Here in the USA I believe that for the most part there is an attempt to make room for the different ethnicities. But one can get a little irritated when watching demonstrations against Trump, where latino children are waving Mexican flags. Nothing irks me more than seeing people demonstrating against something waving flags of another country. If it is so great there that you must cling to that nations flag, go back it you don't like it.

Interesting that Sarah Palin wears an Israeli flag lapel pin and no one questions her patriotism. But when Donald Trump insults Mexicans and they respond by waving flags in his direction it means that they don't love being Americans.