Bangkok Restaurant tips...places worth trying

TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of the 13 Coins restaurants does it for me. Good western/Thai food at fair prices. Rachada, Bangna, Minburi are the ones that I know of now. Suk 33/1 and Rangsit branches closed a few years ago as the owner got more into hotels. Interesting story about the owner too. He went to the states as a teenager, washed dishes, worked his way up the ladder and started the first 13 Coins outside Ramkamheng Uni if I remember right and now has hotels/resorts with restaurants attached. Worth a visit.

• 2 weeks later...

fyi, the Siam Discovery mall has just reopened after a year or so remodeling/closure, and that means the Outback Steakhouse on the 4th floor is open again.

Their steaks are not the best in BKK, but they do use imported beef and they're at least OK. The steak dinners also come with your choice of two sides -- including options for baked potato, french fries, rice, cole slaw, veggies -- and their standard fresh baked brown bread roll.

Right now and thru June 10, Outback is having a re-opening promotion: Have a check/total orders for your table that hit 1,000 baht or more, and they'll throw in a free 6 oz. Outback Special steak dinner on that same visit.

So, as an example, my wife and I went there tonight for dinner, we ordered and paid for a 8 oz ribeye steak dinner for 1,129 baht, and then got the Outback Special 6 oz steak priced at 799b on the menu for free. Kind of works well if the husband is a big eater, but the wife is a lighter eater... Or the opposite, in some cases... tongue.png

Whether because of the re-opening promotion or just because the restaurant and mall have just reopened, the place was surprisingly busy tonight/Wednesday. We showed up expecting to walk in, but were told we'd have a 90-minute wait, which for some unexplained reason ended up being 10 minutes. Bottom line, right now, best to call ahead and make a reservation if you're intending to go.

https://www.facebook.com/OutbackTH/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Outback is okay for what it is. They give you a decent side of bread and the side orders are decent. It is a high class version of Sizzler, that's not to say it is bad it is okay for what it is.

I ordered some Jamaican jerk chicken from Premium BBQ chicken and it was pretty good. If you are lazy and thinking of KFC delivery, try this instead. It can be ordered through Foodpanda and is okay for what it is.

Al Saray Lebanese restaurant does an okay meat platter. Pretty nice kafta.

There is a Korean bar on Petchaburi that offers craft beer and simple Mexican Korean fusion food. If you are going to the airport link or coming from it, it is an okay option and one of the few in the Makkasan area. It is called Changwon Express and is directly next to exit 3 of the Petchaburi MRT station.

Fattys diner does a pretty good hot dog deep fried and wrapped in bacon with a jalapeno cheese sauce. If you are hungry you could easily eat two of them. This is just the particular thing I had and I normally don't get into hot dogs too much. My friend said the burgers and poutine were good as well.

I forget what Hilton it is but the one with the big pool and I believe the oldest Hilton in Bangkok has a pretty decent teppanyaki place on the third or fourth floor.

Pala roma pizza is worth it for a slice on the go. Their whole pizzas by the meter seem pricey but a couple hundred baht for two slices seems pretty reasonable to me.

La Monitas is pretty good.

Coco ichibanya is a pretty good simple Japanese curry rice place that is inexpensive. I used to live off of curry rice in Tokyo. The one I always go to is in

Terminal 21.

Bei Otto is a solid German offering off of Suk 22. Their deli is pretty good they have very nice pea soup in the frozen section. The sauerbraten with dumplings is pretty good but I find it a bit heavy in the heat of Thailand.They also make pretty good pate.

Limoncello pizza and pasta in Nana soi 11 I find this to be acceptable and it is probably exceptional for BKK, anywhere else in the world it is nothing spectacular.

Some of these have already been mentioned but when it comes to Bangkok and at least western dining options there isn't really a lot out there for a city this size. For decent food you will hear 1,000 people mention the same dozen places. I am a fussy eater so maybe I am a tad too harsh. I also did my best to list places you can just pop in on. Obviously there are high end places but I don't normally decide to pop in on Artuurs or Normandie on the spur of the moment. So I focused on places that are pretty inexpensive

Hits and misses there anotheruser.

Limoncello was great ten years ago...200 Baht for two slices of crispy bread pizza is pretty expensive really but Pals is a decent easy lunch I agree.

Loads of better places at decent value...what you largely are hinting at is tourist fare.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Smokie. There are not that many great restaurants in Bangkok and it is all hit and miss. I am obviously not a fan of plastic chairs and "authentic" Thai food.

Anybody been to Benihana's? Before I get crap about this I am going to take somebody that has never been to Asia. I speak and write better Japanese then almost any white guy here, so I am not looking to here about how it isn't authentic. No sushi, teppanyaki, Japanese place here can compete with what is done in Japan. The corny style is part of the dining experience if one ventures in to such a place. This is part of the fun.

I am looking to entertain a couple of (3 people altogether) people in a more casual atmosphere for under or around $400 with alcohol. Seems like it could be an okay place to kill a few hours for my friends.

Anybody have any feedback?

I am a little bit amused by the insinuation that I am basing my opinions on tourist places.

There is okay fried chicken in front of the 711 on Petchaburi road.

I don't think Pizza pala could be considered expensive at 200 Baht for a meal. compared to Burger King or what?

Edited by anotheruser

I wholeheartedly agree with you Smokie. There are not that many great restaurants in Bangkok and it is all hit and miss. I am obviously not a fan of plastic chairs and "authentic" Thai food.

Anybody been to Benihana's? Before I get crap about this I am going to take somebody that has never been to Asia. I speak and write better Japanese then almost any white guy here so I am not looking to here about how it isn't authentic. No sushi, teppanyaki, Japanese place here can compete with what is done in Japan.

I am looking to entertain a couple of people in a more casual atmosphere for under $400 with alcohol. Seems like it could be an okay place to kill a few hours for my friends.

Anybody have any feedback?

I am a little bit amused by the insinuation that I am basing my opinions on tourist places.

There is okay fried chicken in front of the 711 on Petchaburi road.

I don't think Pizza pala could be considered expensive at 200 Baht for a meal. compared to Burger King or what?

Is Benihana the place in the hotel on Phetchaburi Road?

If so then yes I have...all the food prepared at your table by your personal chef.

Food is decent enough...we didn't try the sushi just the set menu.

Would I go again?...if you are paying. :D

Edit: I see what you mean now...yes it's a good place to get drunk and enjoy the chef having fun...$400 will get you a good night for sure!

Edited by smokie36

It is at some hotel up Petchaburi Valina Atrium or something. It is more just for the show of it. They wouldn't know the difference between the best beef from Japan anyway. Just looking for something different for a more grown up affair I would go to the place at the Hilton. I don't want to drop that kind of money on people that are likely to put ketchup on their Matsuzaka.

It is at some hotel up Petchaburi Valina Atrium or something. It is more just for the show of it. They wouldn't know the difference between the best beef from Japan anyway. Just looking for something different for a more grown up affair I would go to the place at the Hilton. I don't want to drop that kind of money on people that are likely to put ketchup on their Matsuzaka.

Yes it's all fur coat and no knickers...perfect for a fun time.

Op Aroy, Tanon Siwara, Town in Town, Bangkok Moderate pricing, open but covered, AC area available.

I'm not a huge seafood fan and normally avoid seafood restaurants in Bangkok, so many are overpriced and have haphazard quality. Not this place.

I'll start with the jumbo shrimp. I do like fresh shrimp but almost all the "Jumbo" shrimp I've had in Thailand tastes kind of muddy and the texture soft.

A friend brought me to Ob Aroy and insisted we get a small platter of Jumbo's; I reluctantly agreed. What arrived was 6 huge shrimp lightly BBQ'd over charcoal. They were amazing...super fresh and clean tasting with firm, almost crispy flesh...I felt like I was eating seafood from the cold waters of New England. Easily, the best jumbo shrimp I've ever had. We had a deep fried fish...sorry, don't recall the breed but it was also perfect; crisp outside, moist and tender inside. The sweet & sour sauce was balanced just right...no cloying sweetness. I was so convinced I wouldn't like the fish that I had ordered chicken satay as a back-up. What arrived was a plateful of beautifully cooked skewers, once again; moist and tender. Everything we had was cooked to a high standard even though this is actually a very informal and very busy place. Service is offhand but efficient, the menu extensive and the prices very reasonable. The two of us ate well for about B1500, including 2 large beers.

Ob Aroy originally started as a streetfood cart in the 1980's but their formula of super fresh seafood at decent prices has led to this busy place. Weekends are very busy and almost always a line from 7pm on.

Town in Town is an arty, semi-upscale townhouse village with many media production studios and small cafe's. It is situated between Rhamkamheng and Lat Phrow. Rhamkhamheng 39 is convenient for access if you are in that area. Siwara is the right turn at the stoplight by the Siam Coml. Bank.

Also accessible off the Ram Intra Expressway but you should use a map, not sure which exit but the SC Park Hotel and Town in Town Hotel are good landmarks

There are a number of similar restaurants on Siwara...Ob Aroy is the closest to the Starbucks (same side) with a large parking lot on the right side as you face it. Parking is free

Most taxi drivers know it. Probably about an 80-100 baht taxi fare from central Sukhumvit...well worth it.

Edited by dddave

Op Aroy, Tanon Siwara, Town in Town, Bangkok Moderate pricing, open but covered, AC area available.

I'm not a huge seafood fan and normally avoid seafood restaurants in Bangkok, so many are overpriced and have haphazard quality. Not this place.

I'll start with the jumbo shrimp. I do like fresh shrimp but almost all the "Jumbo" shrimp I've had in Thailand tastes kind of muddy and the texture soft.

A friend brought me to Ob Aroy and insisted we get a small platter of Jumbo's; I reluctantly agreed. What arrived was 6 huge shrimp lightly BBQ'd over charcoal. They were amazing...super fresh and clean tasting with firm, almost crispy flesh...I felt like I was eating seafood from the cold waters of New England. Easily, the best jumbo shrimp I've ever had. We had a deep fried fish...sorry, don't recall the breed but it was also perfect; crisp outside, moist and tender inside. The sweet & sour sauce was balanced just right...no cloying sweetness. I was so convinced I wouldn't like the fish that I had ordered chicken satay as a back-up. What arrived was a plateful of beautifully cooked skewers, once again; moist and tender. Everything we had was cooked to a high standard even though this is actually a very informal and very busy place. Service is offhand but efficient, the menu extensive and the prices very reasonable. The two of us ate well for about B1500, including 2 large beers.

Ob Aroy originally started as a streetfood cart in the 1980's but their formula of super fresh seafood at decent prices has led to this busy place. Weekends are very busy and almost always a line from 7pm on.

Town in Town is an arty, semi-upscale townhouse village with many media production studios and small cafe's. It is situated between Rhamkamheng and Lat Phrow. Rhamkhamheng 39 is convenient for access if you are in that area. Siwara is the right turn at the stoplight by the Siam Coml. Bank.

Also accessible off the Ram Intra Expressway but you should use a map, not sure which exit but the SC Park Hotel and Town in Town Hotel are good landmarks

There are a number of similar restaurants on Siwara...Ob Aroy is the closest to the Starbucks (same side) with a large parking lot on the right side as you face it. Parking is free

Most taxi drivers know it. Probably about an 80-100 baht taxi fare from central Sukhumvit...well worth it.

Thanks for your reviews, but you first use Op Aroy for the name then Ob Aroy. I googled them both and came up empty handed. Would happen to have a map or link to a website that shows the location by chance, or even a phone? Not trying to be a pain and just thought I would ask. Thanks again.

Update: Maybe I found the location, does this look right?

post-146890-0-96893700-1465021044_thumb.

Edited by BobTH

I think you're referring to what used to be the Amari Atrium Hotel, now known as the AVANI Atrium. Can't speak to the restaurants there.

But I would say, I can't imagine anyone who's eaten authentic Japanese food made by Japanese thinking that Coco Ichibanya in Thailand does good Japanese curry... Tasteless, bland gravy, yes.

Just the mere fact that it seems to be extraordinarily popular with average Thais and in particular Thai university students ought to speak volumes as to its authenticity.

I think you're referring to what used to be the Amari Atrium Hotel, now known as the AVANI Atrium. Can't speak to the restaurants there.

But I would say, I can't imagine anyone who's eaten authentic Japanese food made by Japanese thinking that Coco Ichibanya in Thailand does good Japanese curry... Tasteless, bland gravy, yes.

Just the mere fact that it seems to be extraordinarily popular with average Thais and in particular Thai university students ought to speak volumes as to its authenticity.

Too expensive for students John.

It's like an Asian Hard Rock Cafe Japanese place...all about the experience rather than the food...which isn't bad but won't wow you.

Can get much better food value elsewhere.

for "fingerfood" and burgers, try The Smoking Pug on Surawong (close to the Tawana Hotel)

Darn, had a highly recommended from a friend for the Smokin' Pugs brisket sandwich and advised to book up in advance. Emailed the restaurant to reserve only to be informed that they're closed due to an outside catering event on 15 June. Oh well, we'll have to wait till November.

Anyway, American couple serving US BBQ in heart of BKK and highly rated by the looks of TripAdvisor. Big on cocktails too.

Open 5pm to 11pm.

Edited by wooloomooloo

for "fingerfood" and burgers, try The Smoking Pug on Surawong (close to the Tawana Hotel)

Darn, had a highly recommended from a friend for the Smokin' Pugs brisket sandwich and advised to book up in advance. Emailed the restaurant to reserve only to be informed that they're closed due to an outside catering event on 15 June. Oh well, we'll have to wait till November.

Anyway, American couple serving US BBQ in heart of BKK and highly rated by the looks of TripAdvisor. Big on cocktails too.

Open 5pm to 11pm.

I've still not been either...their place is small so you need to book well in advance if you want to eat at a decent time.

I'm just not that organised.

Too expensive for students John.

It's like an Asian Hard Rock Cafe Japanese place...all about the experience rather than the food...which isn't bad but won't wow you.

Can get much better food value elsewhere.

Think you mis-read my post, Smokie.

I was answering re Thai uni students about Coco Ichibanya, not Benihana Thai.

"Thanks for your reviews, but you first use Op Aroy for the name then Ob Aroy. I googled them both and came up empty handed. Would happen to have a map or link to a website that shows the location by chance, or even a phone? Not trying to be a pain and just thought I would ask. Thanks again."

Try Google search terms "Bangkok seafood town in town"

Here are a couple of links. BTW, It is also off Soi Lat Phrow 94. The name can be transliterated as Op or Ob, each as accurate as the other since there is no exact equivalent. The restaurant uses Ob.

http://www.bangkok.net/directories/property_details.php?cate=restaurant&type=thailand∝=ob_aroi_seafood_restaurant

https://foursquare.com/v/%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2-ob-aroi/4b547a36f964a520bcbc27e3

Edited by dddave

Coco tastes about the same as pretty much any curry house on any corner in Japan. If you don't like the style fair enough but Japanese curry isn't really known for being spicy. It is just typical Japanese fast food. If you don't think the quality is good that's fine but if you are saying the style of curry isn't Japanese, I would wonder if you have ever been to Japan or a fast food curry joint there. This being Thailand the meat would never pass Japanese quality and safety laws but it is an okay approximation of what you can find everywhere in Japan.

If one finds themselves in Terminal 21 it is an okay alternative to some of the other options there. If you happen to know of better places that do Japanese style curry I am all ears. Bear in mind I am not claiming it is fine dining it is a quick fast food option that may beat Subway or Burger King.

Edited by anotheruser

Fair points. I've never eaten "fast food" curry in Japan.

But, my ex was Japanese from Japan, and some of my very close Japanese friends ran a Japanese curry cafe in L.A. for many years.

So, I do know what GOOD Japanese curry is, and Coco Ichibanya isn't that.

BTW, I didn't ding Coco's curry for not being "spicy," as you mentioned. I dinged it for being bland, i.e., lacking in flavor. Two entirely different things.

One place to not go to is Hot Rod in Ekamai (Suk Soi 63). I saw some interesting reviews earlier this year so headed out to the unfashionable badlands passed Thong Lor to find it had closed on May 31st!

Imagine the disappointment after taking the personal risk of being spotted so far from a Central or Mall Group shopping mall to find it was closed!! I had to cover my face with a copy of BK Magazine while I headed swiftly back to the safety of the Helix at Em-Quatteirrrrrrrr.

One place to not go to is Hot Rod in Ekamai (Suk Soi 63). I saw some interesting reviews earlier this year so headed out to the unfashionable badlands passed Thong Lor to find it had closed on May 31st!

Imagine the disappointment after taking the personal risk of being spotted so far from a Central or Mall Group shopping mall to find it was closed!! I had to cover my face with a copy of BK Magazine while I headed swiftly back to the safety of the Helix at Em-Quatteirrrrrrrr.

Sad to hear that as the food was good and well priced.

A loss that one sadly.

If you're around Town in Town -

ร้าน แหล

94 Lat Phrao, Wang Thonglang, Khet Wang Thonglang, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10310

https://goo.gl/maps/u6BNnWot4MG2

Really good Thai restaurant - go in the main entrance to Town in Town past the Vet and at end of that main road is the restaurant.

Or around Maeng Jai, near the Cambodan Embassy is another good one 'Rabiang'

ระเบียงแซ่บ

Pracha Uthit Rd, Phlabphla, Wang Thonglang, Bangkok 10312

https://goo.gl/maps/UY1CBoJ79gN2

and along from there is Mr Ho's chinese - good for beer and dim sum after golf practice at All Star drivng range.

We should maybe do a hit and run review thread of Bangkok area restaurants. Same like JT did in the Pattaya section. This way you should base your experience on your latest visit and not past ones. This thread is for restaurant tips which I guess would mean most the posts if not all should be positive. If another thread for reviews is done it pretty much means you can share anything you want.

I thought about that notion...

But, given the pretty draconian criminal laws here re defamation and how even truth basically isn't a strong defense, I personally decided for myself that if I really had a bad experience someplace, I simply wouldn't publicly post about it at all. That's why I decided to title this thread as Restaurant Tips instead of Restaurant Reviews.

I wanted to focus on the places we'd want to go, not the places we'd want to avoid.

In the past, I chose the opposite route, and I would publicly post when and why I might have had a bad experience at someplace. But the longer I stayed here and saw the crazy/stupid things that occur with the police and legal system, I decided I'm just not going to take any risks like that any more, even if the odds in a restaurant context are probably small. It's just not worth it, AFAIK. That's my view.

Would any of you recommend Indulge Restaurant & Bar which I believe is located right beneath Asok BTS station?

Also, which side of the road is it? Going into town or coming out?

Just want a nice mix of Western and Thai food [with draught beer, of course] tomorrow before we return to UK on Thursday.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by wooloomooloo

I've been meaning to try that place, but haven't gotten around to it. It seems a decent/nice outdoor covered patio-type setting, and I know they have draught beer there. But dunno re their menu and prices. Do see a lot of farangs sitting there regularly.

It's not quite directly under the Asoke BTS station, because it's on the same corner at Citibank Thailand's HQ -- on the outbound corner of the intersection there, on the odd-numbered sois side of the street.

It's more under the BTS Skywalk that heads outbound from the BTS station itself. You just go across the Skywalk from Asoke, and then down the stairs at the Citibank bldg and out onto main Sukhumvit Road there.