Bangkok Restaurant tips...places worth trying

TallGuyJohninBKK

It's a Dean and Delucas I think.....

It looks like Dean and Deluca is in Central Embassy. Will send my friend for a scouting report as he works across the street from there. The Oriental is just a tad too far to go to spend 500 Baht on a sandwich. If I am in the area it is likely I wouldn't meet the dress code to get in. I usually wear shorts with flip flops and a beer Chang wifebeater I wash once a fortnight. Well not that bad but places with dress codes will rarely get my business. This saves me a substantial amount of money, I don't understand dress codes in the tropics.

Tried to go to Sfizio last night but it began to rain and it is a bit of a hike in the rain. Looked at pics on the web and the pizzas do indeed look tasty. Will give it a try on Friday if the skies don't open up on me. Will take some pics.

I will also give Smokie a report on the deep dish at Pastrami in Jomtien as I will be going there soon. I am from the midwest so should be able to offer a decent opinion. I will try Betty Bangkok but the pics just don't look like I will like it. I will give it a try at some point though. But I saw Smokie is into the idea of a Chicago deep dish so will do it for him as so far his suggestions in this thread are good ones.

Had the scrambled eggs at Kuppadeli and can verify they are top notch.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not suggesting the Mandarin Oriental hotel...rather their outlet in Siam Paragon.....another one in Central Chidlom.....Emporium too I think.

The Mandarin Oriental also has a coffee shop / bakery outlet on the ground floor of Gaysorn Plaza right across from CentralWorld.

Have had lunch and drinks there before, and it was good/pleasant but not great food. Not sure if the Gaysorn outlet has the same or different menu as the other locations mentioned above.

It's a Dean and Delucas I think.....

It looks like Dean and Deluca is in Central Embassy

Dean and Deluca does have a branch in the Central Embassy Mall near Ploenchit BTS, toward the far back end of the mall, and I believe one or two levels up from the level you enter on coming in from the BTS Skywalk bridge.

It's a full service place with pretty much the same menu as their Chong Nonsi branch (though I don't believe Central Embassy D&D does pizzas, whereas Chong Nonsi does). But there also is another mini-Dean & Deluca branch on the opposite corner diagnonally from Central Embassy on the ground floor of the huge ugly tower called Eco-Plex or something similar. The D&D there is just drinks and light menu of bakery and a few sandwiches.

The D&D at Central Embassy is one of our regular haunts, good service, pleasant/comfortable setting, nice menu with both breakfast and lunch and dinner options, reasonable prices for decent-to-good farang food in Bangkok. But they lost some points with me when they deleted from their menu some months back what used to be a very good breakfast waffle with fresh sliced berries and berry sauce. That was one of my morning favorites.

I would, however, avoid the American hamburger at D&D Central Embassy. I tried it there once, and it wasn't a pleasant or tasty experience -- one of or perhaps the only regrettable meal I can recall eating there over the years.

Meanwhile, if you're going to Central Embassy, the PAUL bakery and cafe (the original one for Bangkok) is located right there at the entry to Central Embassy from the Skytrain bridge. The prices are somewhat higher than D&D, the menu is more French-styled than the American-styled D&D, but the Paul bakery surpasses the bakery offerings at D&D by a long way. I'd eat there more often, if I didn't want to get fat off their goodies. smile.png

Nice report, tonight my friend went into the smaller one which is on his way from work to the BTS, he said there isn't much there. We will try the Embassy location. What I would really love is roast beef, thinly sliced and smoked turkey and such. Ham and cheese is so common around the city. If it is just fancy pants cheddar or most any other kind of cheese and sliced ham I can do it at home very easily.

I can get great bread and decent cheese but the cold cuts are lacking in this country. Not really interested in the pastries, coffee or sweets side of the deli. This is just my tangent but does anybody offer anything other than ham?

Here's the current sandwiches menu at D&D Central Embassy. They have a Reuben and a sliced pork sandwich, and a BLT.

post-58284-0-07777000-1468507946_thumb.j

I don't think they have a second page to their current sandwiches menu, beyond those on the page I posted above. But I can't guarantee it.

They used to have a sliced ribeye, mushroom and melted cheese on foccacia sandwich that, to me at least, sounds pretty good. Unfortunately, it came out as a gloppy, gooey, not especially tasty mess. I don't think it's still on their current menu. But here's what it looked like before.

post-58284-0-87701700-1468508122_thumb.j

Sorry, chalk that one up as a second regrettable meal there, beyond their hamburger that I mentioned above. sad.png Forgot about that one.

BTW, I wanna say, I've seen and had a more traditional thin sliced roast beef sandwich on bread at the Eco-whatever D&D sandwich counter, and it was OK. But that was some time ago, and their selection of available sandwiches there seems to vary quite a bit. You can't order them to prepare a particular sandwich there off the menu, you only can choose from whatever remaining offerings they have in their refrigerated case, AFAIK.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, dddave said:

"Thanks for your reviews, but you first use Op Aroy for the name then Ob Aroy. I googled them both and came up empty handed. Would happen to have a map or link to a website that shows the location by chance, or even a phone? Not trying to be a pain and just thought I would ask. Thanks again."

Try Google search terms "Bangkok seafood town in town"

Here are a couple of links. BTW, It is also off Soi Lat Phrow 94. The name can be transliterated as Op or Ob, each as accurate as the other since there is no exact equivalent. The restaurant uses Ob.

http://www.bangkok.net/directories/property_details.php?cate=restaurant&type=thailand∝=ob_aroi_seafood_restaurant

https://foursquare.com/v/%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2-ob-aroi/4b547a36f964a520bcbc27e3

I took my girlfriend to the Ob Aroi yesterday for lunch and I just want to personally thank you for this recommendation. Everything was excellent and I will go again in the near future. For seafood in Bangkok I think it was the best I have had also. The grilled prawn,  fried sea bass and steamed crab with noodles were all delicious. Nothing fancy but great food, we also made reservations and sat in the air conditioned area.

Edited by BobTH

Wine Connection. Not gourmet by any means but if you want to enjoy a bottle  of wine at retail prices and some half-decent food then these  places are not half-bad. We regularly go to the one on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 47 and at Groove in Central World. Both have indoor and outdoor options and a full Wine Connection selection of wines. We normally have a cheese board and sometimes a charcuterie and a caesar salad. They also do a range of soups, salads, pasts, fish and steaks.There are loads of branches around Bangkok including those I have mentioned above along with K-Village on Sukhumvit 26, Silom Complex on Silom rd. and also at MegaBangna. Enjoy.

15 hours ago, BobTH said:

I took my girlfriend to the Ob Aroi yesterday for lunch and I just want to personally thank you for this recommendation. Everything was excellent and I will go again in the near future. For seafood in Bangkok I think it was the best I have had also. The grilled prawn,  fried sea bass and steamed crab with noodles were all delicious. Nothing fancy but great food, we also made reservations and sat in the air conditioned area.

I'm so glad you posted this.  I was in a taxi in Town in Town last week and as we passed the location where I remembered Ob Aroy being, It looked like something else was being built there but I wasn't sure if I was looking at the correct spot.  Your post of a recent meal there reassures me that Ob Aroy is still in operation and still serving excellent food at excellent value.   Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 6 July 2016 at 1:09 PM, possum1931 said:

Anywhere beats KFC, with their very small portions of French Fries.

I've never had their fries.  Just the cold, soggy strings that seem to be made of potato :(

REALLY enjoyed the Club Sandwich I had at Indigo a while back.

Tacos and Salsa Mexican in Soi Sukhumvit 20 was OK for Mexican too though I find you need to tell them to up the chilli level if you like it spicy. Good variety, small, nice ambience but gets busy at times.  Quite cheap too. Mexicano on top of the Rembrandt wasn't too bad nor too expensive.  Bit bland though I thought and the bigger open space can be a bit dead if it's not busy.

The pizzas at Bangkok Betty are OK IMO but avoid their deep fried platter or whatever they call it.  Awful.  All batter and oil.

Love the steaks at El Gaucho nr Terminal 21.  Well cooked and seasoned.  Great lamb chops too and their gratin potatoes and saute mushrooms are superb.  Not cheap though.  Easily around 1,500 per head and way too busy at times.

Really enjoy Rossano's Italian too on Soi 21.  Nice rustic atmosphere.  Yet to try Gianni's which I'm told is v good too.  I think pricier than Rossano's though.

Any decent Indian aside from Dosa King and Aryaas that are not the 'in hotel' and mega bucks variety?  I nearly always find Indian meals in LOS quite bland and WAY too salty.

Edited by SooKee

14 hours ago, SooKee said:

I've never had their fries.  Just the cold, soggy strings that seem to be made of potato :(

REALLY enjoyed the Club Sandwich I had at Indigo a while back.

Tacos and Salsa Mexican in Soi Sukhumvit 20 was OK for Mexican too though I find you need to tell them to up the chilli level if you like it spicy. Good variety, small, nice ambience but gets busy at times.  Quite cheap too. Mexicano on top of the Rembrandt wasn't too bad nor too expensive.  Bit bland though I thought and the bigger open space can be a bit dead if it's not busy.

The pizzas at Bangkok Betty are OK IMO but avoid their deep fried platter or whatever they call it.  Awful.  All batter and oil.

Love the steaks at El Gaucho nr Terminal 21.  Well cooked and seasoned.  Great lamb chops too and their gratin potatoes and saute mushrooms are superb.  Not cheap though.  Easily around 1,500 per head and way too busy at times.

Really enjoy Rossano's Italian too on Soi 21.  Nice rustic atmosphere.  Yet to try Gianni's which I'm told is v good too.  I think pricier than Rossano's though.

Any decent Indian aside from Dosa King and Aryaas that are not the 'in hotel' and mega bucks variety?  I nearly always find Indian meals in LOS quite bland and WAY too salty.

Haven't been for a while but I rate the Sunday Brunch at Indus on Sukhumvit  Soi 26. Fairly extensive menu all served a la carte and all you can eat. Nice sedate atmosphere and good service. Don't know if they still do it but I loved the tandoori broccoli and there's a good choice of various nan breads. Seem to recall it was about 1500 baht for 2 and ran from 11.30 am to 3 pm so you had plenty of time to stuff yourself silly and regret it later while hunting out the good old Enos.

Edited by mca

17 hours ago, mca said:

Haven't been for a while but I rate the Sunday Brunch at Indus on Sukhumvit  Soi 26. Fairly extensive menu all served a la carte and all you can eat. Nice sedate atmosphere and good service. Don't know if they still do it but I loved the tandoori broccoli and there's a good choice of various nan breads. Seem to recall it was about 1500 baht for 2 and ran from 11.30 am to 3 pm so you had plenty of time to stuff yourself silly and regret it later while hunting out the good old Enos.

Its 650++ for that deal and yes you can still stuff yourself for three hours on some really good Indian food.

Probably the best deal for Indian food in Bangkok right now I think.

Thanks. Will give that a try over the next few days :)

Posted via Tapatalk

I pretty much enjoy Bangkok's street food but just like some expats I also preferred to eat to some good restaurants like the one in Sukhumvit the name is Rossi di Serra if I'm not mistaken. I love the food there and seems like they serve it really authentic. 

6 hours ago, SooKee said:

For the brunch of course. Not gonna be able to do a Sunday for a while though. So I'll give the food a try anyway outside of the brunch setting.

Posted via Tapatalk

Don't miss the broccoli...their tarka daal is rather good as well.

WORTH TRYING IN PHRA KHANONG

"Craft" cafe is a new neighborhood restaurant, just under the Phra Khanong BTS station (odd side), a few doors down from the venerable "M" cafe.  It is a typical shophouse space but nicely furnished with comfortable chairs and tables along with a sofa and a few armchairs. It appears to seat around 20.

Along with coffee and pastries, there is a fairly wide ranging menu with several Northern Thai specialties such as "Khao Soi Gai", "Larb Keua" and "Gang Hang Lair" as well as a wide array of Thai dishes.  I have tried both the Khao Soi Gai and the Massaman Curry and both were savory and excellent: B80

They open at 0730 in the morning and have a nice selection of breakfast items including several egg/bacon/sausage offerings served in a small skillet.  The menu also has a decent list of western options though I haven't tried any. Service is friendly and English is spoken.

I highly recommend you give Craft Cafe a try if you live or work close to or in the Phra Khanong area.

From the BTS platform, take exit #3, walk in the direction of traffic about 25 meters. 

8 hours ago, dddave said:

WORTH TRYING IN PHRA KHANONG

"Craft" cafe is a new neighborhood restaurant, just under the Phra Khanong BTS station (odd side), a few doors down from the venerable "M" cafe.  It is a typical shophouse space but nicely furnished with comfortable chairs and tables along with a sofa and a few armchairs. It appears to seat around 20.

Along with coffee and pastries, there is a fairly wide ranging menu with several Northern Thai specialties such as "Khao Soi Gai", "Larb Keua" and "Gang Hang Lair" as well as a wide array of Thai dishes.  I have tried both the Khao Soi Gai and the Massaman Curry and both were savory and excellent: B80

They open at 0730 in the morning and have a nice selection of breakfast items including several egg/bacon/sausage offerings served in a small skillet.  The menu also has a decent list of western options though I haven't tried any. Service is friendly and English is spoken.

I highly recommend you give Craft Cafe a try if you live or work close to or in the Phra Khanong area.

From the BTS platform, take exit #3, walk in the direction of traffic about 25 meters. 

Thanks for the tip on Craft, Dave. I happened to pass that place the other day on the way from BTS to the nearby PK Post Office, and wondered what the heck it was (because I'd never seen it before). They were doing a decent business at the time on a weekday early afternoon.

From the name, I wondered if it was another place doing CRAFT beers. But, it sounds from your description above that it's NOT

Not a restaurant per se but for cheap fairly tasty eats I often go to the Tops food court in the basement of Robinsons on Asoke. IMHO it's a cut above the one in Terminal 21 which I think is extremely average to poor. In Tops there's a stall next to the Mrs. Balbirs Indian counter which does a decent noodles with onsen egg and another where they're  fairly generous with the chicken on the kao man gai. The cooked to order stall near the two ATMS is pretty consistent too. Not fine dining of course but I genuinely enjoy the food as opposed to just " that'll do" because I'm hungry.

Edited by mca

Interesting comment, MCA...

I've been many times to both the Robinson's food court and the T21 food court. Overall, the T21 food court has lower prices, a much wider selection of food counters/food choices, and is a busier, more social environment.

Overall, I think the T21 food court is one of the better value ones I've found in BKK, and the crowds that flock there seem to reflect that. But I also buy regularly at the Robinson's one, mainly from the Mrs. Balbir's counter there and the roast pork place next to the cook to order place you mention.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting comment, MCA...

I've been many times to both the Robinson's food court and the T21 food court. Overall, the T21 food court has lower prices, a much wider selection of food counters/food choices, and is a busier, more social environment.

Overall, I think the T21 food court is one of the better value ones I've found in BKK, and the crowds that flock there seem to reflect that. But I also buy regularly at the Robinson's one, mainly from the Mrs. Balbir's counter there and the roast pork place next to the cook to order place you mention.

I found the meat quality reflects the pricing at Terminal 21.

Much prefer to eat at Food Republic.

I used to really like the food court at Amarin Plaza off the Chit Lom BTS walkway. It was up on the 4th floor and had great views of the outside though the good window tables always seemed to be filled with students camped there for the afternoon.  I haven't been there for a year or so but the food selections used to be pretty good.  Anybody there lately?