Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Hull 0-4 Chelsea

Defending champions Chelsea cruised past Hull into the fourth round of the Carling Cup to give Avram Grant his first win as manager.

Hull managed to hold off a much-changed Chelsea side until the 37th minute when Scott Sinclair struck with a low drive - his first goal for the club.

Salomon Kalou headed in the second just after half-time before Steve Sidwell's swerving strike quickly made it 3-0.

Kalou completed a convincing win by crashing home a drive.

Chelsea's confident display did not stop their fans chanting ex-boss Jose Mourinho's name but Grant will be relieved to have posted his first win in such convincing fashion.

Hull battled manfully throughout but they never really looked capable of an upset.

Grant fielded just four of the players who lost to Manchester United on Sunday, but he was still able to bring in the likes of Claudio Pizarro, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Juliano Belletti.

Phil Brown's side were under pressure immediately as Chelsea forced five corners inside four minutes.

Hull keeper Bo Myhill parried a Sidwell drive and then a Kalou shot - although the Blues striker felt the ball struck Sam Ricketts' arm on the way through.

And though Hull did come back into the game, Chelsea always seemed to be biding their time.

Wright-Phillips, who was a constant threat in the first-half, drove in the cross and 18-year-old Sinclair curled home the first goal of Grant's reign.

Hull's hopes of a comeback were all but extinguished when Chelsea doubled their lead three minutes into the second half.

Not for the first time, Pizarro baffled the hosts' defence with his movement and his cross from the left was headed in by a combination of Kalou and Hull defender Damien Delaney.

When Sidwell's 25-yard drive made it 3-0 after only 52 minutes, a rout seemed to be on the cards but Hull held out and even went close to a consolation when Jay-Jay Okocha's free-kick fizzed narrowly over the bar.

Chelsea's only worry of the night came when Wright-Phillips limped off with an apparent hamstring injury - yet another concern for England boss Steve McClaren.

But his replacement Joe Cole did set up the fourth goal, providing the precise pass for Kalou to power home.

Surprisingly I caught this on Supersport 6 (I've never been able to pick this chanel up on my system) & although Hull were like startled rabbits in front of head lights all match the Chelsea side did a pro job which could have been a nasty banana skin. (BTW don't mention the Man U result :o )

Surprisingly I caught this on Supersport 6 (I've never been able to pick this chanel up on my system) & although Hull were like startled rabbits in front of head lights all match the Chelsea side did a pro job which could have been a nasty banana skin. (BTW don't mention the Man U result :o )

It was a very professional result, the team showed great togetherness and commitment. The 1st half we should of scored about 3 goals. We are still lacking the killer instinct in front of goal but good news is Drogba in back in light training. Apparently Fergie was fuming at going out of the cup but who picked them weakened team???

Terry: Blues are united

John Terry insists team spirit at Chelsea remains high despite the departure of Jose Mourinho.

The Stamford Bridge side ended a testing week with a 4-0 victory over Hull in the Carling Cup after goals from Salomon Kalou (2), Scott Sinclair and Steve Sidwell.

Reports of dressing room unrest surfaced in the wake of Avram Grant taking charge at Stamford Bridge with the club going down 2-0 at Manchester United on Sunday.

But Terry told Sky Sports 2: "We do our best to maintain team spirit in Chelsea. We'll try to keep it going. It has been tough recently but we take a lot of positives from this.

"It was a great win and certainly well needed, it is a tough place to come.

"I thought we played really well, we knew the first 15 to 20 minutes it was going to be really difficult and they were going to be in our faces.

"But we deserved it, especially after the last three games. The quality came through in the end."

Blues boss Grant echoed Terry's sentiments, insisting the players are all united in a common cause.

He said: "The dressing room is very good, you can see it on the pitch. Off the pitch I believe Chelsea players are 100 per cent committed to the club.

"I want them to be committed to the club, not to me. Tomorrow we will have been together only one week. I am very happy with their attitude.

"It's always difficult to play in the cup especially away. The players' attitude is good."

And the Israeli brushed aside suggestions the club had spoken to Marco van Basten with regards to becoming the long-term successor to Mourinho.

He said: "You come to a club like Chelsea you know there are many rumours. I need to work and they (journalists) need to write."

And when asked about the absence of owner Roman Abramovich at Hull, Grant said: "When Roman Abramovich is here you say he is picking the team, if he is not here you ask why he is not here."

Just finished watching a sports centre report on the rumuors Ronaldinho will be joining in the summer for only 14 million :D .

He'll be nudging 30 by that time but even so if he's going for that price surely any team in the world would fancy him , or maybe it's just hype generated by the chelski backroom boy's to take the fans minds off some one else :o:D .

Chelsea could sign unsettled Barcelona forward Ronaldinho for just £14m next summer. (Various)

Roman Abramovich has put Guus Hiddink on the spot and asked whether he wants to stay as Russia coach or join Chelsea. (Daily Express)

Abramovich and his supposed army of minders were nowhere to be seen as Chelsea thrashed Hull 4-0 in the Carling Cup on Wednesday. (Daily Star) Roman Abramovich compared Jose Mourinho to a meal at the opening of a new eaterie at Stamford Bridge: "You like it or not, but it doesn't stay on the table for long." (Various)

Just finished watching a sports centre report on the rumuors Ronaldinho will be joining in the summer for only 14 million :D .

He'll be nudging 30 by that time but even so if he's going for that price surely any team in the world would fancy him , or maybe it's just hype generated by the chelski backroom boy's to take the fans minds off some one else :o:D .

Chelsea could sign unsettled Barcelona forward Ronaldinho for just £14m next summer. (Various)

Roman Abramovich has put Guus Hiddink on the spot and asked whether he wants to stay as Russia coach or join Chelsea. (Daily Express)

Abramovich and his supposed army of minders were nowhere to be seen as Chelsea thrashed Hull 4-0 in the Carling Cup on Wednesday. (Daily Star) Roman Abramovich compared Jose Mourinho to a meal at the opening of a new eaterie at Stamford Bridge: "You like it or not, but it doesn't stay on the table for long." (Various)

Merely paper talk, I can't see Ronaldinho coming to Chelsea to be honest, the story in the paper also said his agent had agreed a fee with Abramovich to pay Ronaldinho £223,000 per week!!! If that is true I will stop supporting the team I love. That is just ridiculous :D

FA charges Clarke and Chelsea

The Football Association has charged Chelsea with failing to control their players during their match against Manchester United on 23rd September.

Charges have been issued against Chelsea and their assistant coach Steve Clarke following incidents which occurred during the Old Trafford clash.

The charge with regards the behaviour of Chelsea's players relates to the manner in which they responded to referee Mike Dean, following the first-half sending-off of John Obi Mikel.

Captain John Terry was seen to try and snatch the red card from Dean's hand, in an incident that has landed the England captain in hot water with the FA.

Clarke has been charged with using abusive and/or insulting words towards the match officials at the game's conclusion.

The FA has already rejected Chelsea's appeal against Mikel's red card, as they upheld Dean's decision, meaning the Nigerian is serving a three-match suspension.

Chelsea and Clarke, who have until 12th October to respond, have confirmed they will 'strongly defend' the two charges.

"Chelsea football club will be strongly defending the the two charges issued by the Football Association today and will be considering that defence until we have to respond on October 12," read an official club statement.

Chelsea v Fulham

Stamford Bridge

Saturday, 29 September

Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day. Featured game on Score and Final Score.

Striker Didier Drogba has given Chelsea a boost by returning to the squad after a knee injury but midfielder Frank Lampard (thigh) is still not quite fit.

Mikel John Obi is suspended, the injured Ricardo Carvalho is also likely to miss out and Michael Ballack remains sidelined with an ankle problem.

Fulham will be without defender Moritz Volz, who has a groin problem and nder Ian Pearce (calf) also misses out.

Lee Cook, Jimmy Bullard, Philippe Christenval and Brian McBride are out.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Terry, Ben-Haim, Alex, Essien, Belletti, A Cole, J Cole, Bridge, Shevchenko, Wright-Phillips, Kalou, Pizarro, Malouda, Sidwell, Drogba, Sinclair.

Fulham (from): Niemi, Warner, Keller, Baird, Stefanovic, Bocanegra, Hughes, Davis, Smertin, Murphy, Seol, Davies, Bouazza, Healy, Dempsey, Konchesky, Kamara, John, Kuqi.

Chelsea manager Avram Grant:

"I think we have a good base and I would like Chelsea to play with at least five players in the attack.

"You saw it against Hull, it was an open game, sometimes too open, and we need to keep the balance but we will follow the attacking combination and system that we used against Hull.

"I think the players have tried to do their best since the beginning of the season but sometimes it didn't go well and sometimes there is a problem you need to fix.

"They gave everything they could but if they didn't score there is something we need to do better and that's what we are trying to do."

Fulham manager Lawrie Sanchez:

"Given their situation some teams will get points there. It is a big ask but it's a great opportunity for us to go there and get a win.

"We are capable of scoring goals - all the stats prove that - so if we can keep a clean sheet, and we will probably have to do that against Chelsea, then anything is possible.

"We are as potent an attacking force in this league than any team. We go there in decent form, confidence is OK and we are due a little bit of good fortune."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Avram Grant sends out a Chelsea side for the third time and first at Stamford Bridge, on the back of Wednesday's 0-4 Carling Cup victory over Hull.

The Blues go into this game in their lowest league position for five years. The 66-match unbeaten home Premier League record is therefore under serious threat in this 66th competitive meeting and 57th west London league derby against Fulham, who although fourth bottom and without an away win, are the second highest scorers in the Premier League.

Chelsea have not lost a Premier League London derby in nine; Fulham have not won one in nine.

While the Cottagers have opened the scoring in five Premier League matches, the Blues have conceded the opener in five; no other clubs exceed either of those totals.

Consequently Chelsea have gained an unequalled seven Premier League points when losing; Fulham have squandered an unrivalled 13 points when winning.

Fulham's last top-flight victory over Chelsea at the Bridge was 1-2 on 7 March 1964.

CLUB FORM

CHELSEA

1. Won only one of five league and cup games.

2. The only club in the top 12 of the Premier League with a negative goal difference.

3. Needing one victory to record 1,500 wins in their League history.

4. Not lost back-to-back in 45 Premier League outings since the end of the season before last on 2 and 7 May 2006, away to Blackburn and to Newcastle respectively.

5. Shipped eight Premier League goals so far; no club in the top half of the table exceeds that.

6. Not scored in the first or last 15 minutes of any Premier League match so far this season.

7. Made their worst start to a Premier League season since 2000-01, when they eventually finished sixth.

8. One of eight clubs still holding an unbeaten home record in the Premier League.

9. Not lost a home Premier League game since a 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 50, drawn 16).

10. This fixture precedes Wednesday's Champions League Group B match, away to Valencia.

FULHAM

1. Won only one Premier League match so far; 2-1, home to Bolton on 15 August.

2. Drawn the last three league outings, and picked up three points from a last available 15.

3. One of four clubs who've got double figures in the "Goals For" column in the Premier League table. The others are Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham.

4. Top scorers in the bottom half of the Premier League table; 12 goals in seven matches.

5. The second weakest defence in the Premier League; 14 goals leaked in seven matches.

6. One of two clubs without a Premier League clean sheet this season; the other is Everton. Not managed a league shut-out in eight attempts, and kept only one clean sheet in 15; the 1-0 win over Liverpool on 5 May.

7. Boast the highest aggregate in the Premier League of 26 goals (12 for, 14 against).

8. Conceded more goals in the last 10 minutes of Premier League games than any other club (four).

9. Not won in 20 away Premier League matches since the 1-2 maximum against Newcastle at St James' Park on 9 September last year; their only triumph in 23 away. Gained nine points from the last available 60 on the road, and chalked up a measly two victories in 41 league games away from the Cottage.

10. Fielded more players in Premier League competition this season than any other club, with the exception of Bolton. Both have used 23.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

CHELSEA

Frank LAMPARD is Chelsea's leading scorer with three goals - all in the Premier League.

LAMPARD has scored six goals in seven league and League Cup appearances against Fulham.

If he plays:-

Andriy SHEVCHENKO will be participating on his 31st birthday.

If on the field from the outset:-

Paulo FERREIRA will be making his 100th start for Chelsea.

Suspended:-

Mikel John OBI (two matches)

FULHAM

Clint DEMPSEY and David HEALY are Fulham's joint top scorers with three goals each; only DEMPSEY'S are all Premier League goals.

If he plays:-

Antti NIEMI will be making his 150th English league appearance (Southampton and Fulham).

Alexei SMERTIN will be facing a former club. The 32 year old Russia international midfielder made 25 appearances (16 in the league) when on Chelsea's books for just under three years from August 2003 - but much of that time was spent away from Stamford Bridge on loan.

Ian PEARCE will be opposing the club with which he started his professional career in August 1991.

HEAD TO HEAD

Fulham have not claimed maximum points off their near neighbours on enemy territory in 28 years since a 0-2 second tier triumph on 27 October 1979.

Chelsea have only lost once to Fulham in 12 Premier League meetings.

Last season's corresponding match was on 30 December when the Blues handed out a few belated Christmas gifts in the way of a poor defensive display and ended up sharing four goals.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Chelsea 33 wins, Fulham 7, Draws 15

Prem: Chelsea 7 wins, Fulham 1, Draws 4

at Chelsea only

League (inc PL): Chelsea 16 wins, Fulham 2, Draws 9

Prem: Chelsea 5 wins, Fulham 0, Draws 1

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Chelsea 2-2 Fulham

30 December 2006 - Ref: Howard Webb

Chelsea scorers: Rosenior 35 og, Drogba 62

Fulham scorers: Volz 16, Bocanegra 84

REFEREE

Martin Atkinson (Yorkshire)

Terry injury fright

John Terry has given England an injury scare after suffering a suspected fractured cheekbone in Chelsea's game with Fulham.

The Blues and England captain was hurt in the opening minutes of the Premier League match at Stamford Bridge after being caught by Clint Dempsey.

Terry was able to finish the first half, but failed to reappear for the second period.

Early indications suggest that the centre-half has suffered a fractured cheekbone and is awaiting confirmation of the injury.

If the problem is confirmed, Terry will be a major doubt for England's Euro 2008 qualifiers with Estonia and Russia next month.

England play Estonia at Wembley in a fortnight's time before travelling to Moscow to face Russia four days later.

Terry would also miss Chelsea's UEFA Champions League group encounter with Valencia next Wednesday.

Terry hits back at Jose slurs

John Terry has hit back at claims he played any part in Jose Mourinho's departure from Chelsea.

The Blues skipper was reported to have had a bust-up with the now former Chelsea chief on the eve of his exit from Stamford Bridge.

However, speaking ahead of Saturday's Kings Road derby clash with Fulham, Terry has hit-back at suggestions he played any part in Mourinho's shock exit.

Speaking to Chelsea TV, Terry said: "It was a bit of a shock to us all and it has been a difficult time over the last week or so.

"We all realise how special and great the manager was, but as a club we need to move on now.

"We can't dwell on that or it will affect our performances and our results."

Terry also confirmed he would be taking legal action against newspapers who said he was behind Mourinho's departure.

"There have been some bad things written and some very false and untrue things written about me and about the manager's departure, associating me with it. It is complete rubbish. I would have liked to have spoken about it earlier but because we are taking legal action against two newspapers, it has been difficult," he said.

"I know some fans have been frustrated that I haven't personally spoken. I would have loved to have done so and I am speaking a lot in my programme notes on Saturday.

"I loved the manager, I can only say great things about him. He was great for me personally, and for the club with what he achieved here and what we achieved under him as a group of players.

"I am very upset by the stories. I think the fans know that I am very loyal to the club and everyone associated with Chelsea and I always will be. I will continue to love Chelsea and we will go from here."

Chelsea 0-0 Fulham

Didier Drogba was sent off and John Terry suffered a suspected fractured cheekbone as Chelsea made it four games without a Premier League victory.

Drogba, back after a month out with a knee injury, looked lively following a subdued first half from the home side.

But after forcing Kasey Keller into a save he received a second booking when his boot caught Chris Baird's face.

Salomon Kalou and Joe Cole also went close but Paul Konchesky and Diomansy Kamara nearly won it for Fulham.

It was another day of frustration and looking back to happier times for the Blues, whose fans again chanted former manager Jose Mourinho's name during a tepid first half devoid of real entertainment.

Chelsea suffered a blow before the kick-off when midfielder Michael Essien was ruled out with an injury, while boss Avram Grant sprang something of a surprise by leaving out winger Florent Malouda.

His three-man attack of Kalou, Drogba and the woefully ineffectual Andriy Shevchenko looked disjointed and posed few problems for the visiting defence.

If anything, Fulham, who last won at Stamford Bridge in 1979, could have gone to the break a goal ahead.

Clint Dempsey headed just wide of Petr Cech's far post and referee Martin Atkinson turned down a strong claim for a penalty when Tal Ben Haim headed the ball on to his own hand after a long throw-in.

Drogba's main contribution was failing to get on the end of an inviting centre from the impressive Joe Cole and being booked for insisting Baird had impeded him.

It got worse for Chelsea when Terry, who was hurt in an aerial collision with Dempsey in the first period, had to be replaced at the break by Alex.

They could have gone in front right at the start when their best player Joe Cole surged clear down the right and crossed to Kalou who, put off by his marker, could not get clean enough contact but still managed to scuff the ball at Keller, who palmed it on to the post.

Fulham weathered that burst to exert some pressure of their own and it was no surprise when Grant hauled off Shevchenko and brought on Claudio Pizarro.

Drogba was being well marshalled but showed his first real flash of brilliance just after the hour mark when he controlled the ball and unleashed a rasping drive which Keller did well to push away.

Kalou then headed over from Ashley Cole's cross and wide from a free-kick, while Joe Cole slipped the ball just wide of Keller when put through.

Chelsea were finally on top but they were reduced to 10 men when Drogba raised his boot while challenging Baird for a loose ball and caught the defender flush in the face.

Atkinson had no option but to show a second yellow card and Grant replaced Ashley Cole with Malouda in a desperate bid to snatch victory.

It almost backfired when Konchesky broke free on the left and Cech saved with his feet from the left-back.

And there was still time for Kamara to fluff a glorious opportunity after gliding past Claude Makelele, only to hesitate before shooting past the far post.

Chelsea were greeted by a chorus of booes at the end and the sound of their popular former manager's name ringing around the stadium.

They had done nowhere near enough to dispel the memory of the acrimonious end to his reign.

I am not a Chelsea supporter but sorry to those who are as after watching some of the Fulham game the new "manager" looks clueless and out of this depth.

The TV commentator was saying in effect look to support the Chairman rather the the previous manager, but surely the problem is quite apart from ridding the club of one of the best in the world the replacment is totally useless and ought never to be anywhere near taking charge of a Premiership side.

That Shevchenco is appallingly bad and Fulham ought to have won it in the last minutes of the game.

I hope sooner rather than later someone will see sanity and get a person in charge of the football there who knows what they are doing.

Even someone like Venables for the moment as at least he would likely have some respect by the players and has some idea about tactics and man management.

This is a classic case of a Chairman abusing his position and just because he has put in money he thinks he knows how to manage a team; big mistake.

And at this rate we will see one of the best teams in recent years crumble before our very eyes.

Edited by R123

I hate to agree with you R123 but appointing Grant was ridiculous!, There is talk of Steve Clarke walking out in the next few weeks, we might as well right this season off, we will be lucky at this rate of a top 4 finish. :o

Makelele looking forward

Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele admits the departure of Jose Mourinho was not popular amongst most of the players, but insists they must now get behind new boss Avram Grant if they want to succeed.

The Blues have stuttered since the 'Special One' spectacularly left the club last week and have not won either of the two league games since.

However Makelele says the players need to move on and concentrate on winning again, starting with Wednesday's UEFA Champions League game with Valencia.

"We can't do anything about Mourinho going now. The majority of players did not like it, but it is the decision the club made and we have to accept it," he said in The People.

"Now we have to help the new coach to take things forward. If he fails then the players fail too."

Chelsea have made an uncharacteristically poor start to the Champions League after being held by Norwegian side Rosenborg in their first game.

And Makelele understands the importance of their next game against Spanish side Valencia.

"Nobody thought we would not beat Rosenborg on our own pitch but we can make amends by beating Valencia - even though it will not be easy.

"This game is a lot more important for Chelsea than it appears to our people. We are playing for our future in the Champions League because to get only one point from six would put a lot of pressure on us."

Chelsea knocked Valencia out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage last season and Makelele expects the Spanish side to be out for revenge on Wednesday.

"Valencia want to pay us back for last year and that will make the game even harder, but Chelsea have lived through worse situations and we will come through."

Chelsea 'must not lose in Spain'

Joe Cole admits that Chelsea cannot afford to lose their Champions League game at Valencia on Wednesday.

Chelsea drew their first match at home to Norway's Rosenborg and the game in Valencia is their first in Europe since they split with coach Jose Mourinho.

"We need to go out there and get the result," the midfielder said.

"We've only got one point on the board in the Champions League so it's a game we must not lose. We want to go home with all three points."

Chelsea have won only one of their last six games - and that was against Championship side Hull in the Carling Cup.

And they are a lowly eighth in the Premier League after a defeat and a goalless draw in new manager Avram Grant's first two games in charge.

Chelsea put in one of their best performances under Mourinho in Valencia's Mestalla stadium last season, coming from a goal behind to win 2-1 and book a semi-final against Liverpool.

But Cole admits that Chelsea will lose in Valencia on Wednesday if they do not improve their form.

"It's a tough place to come and they are a side with great players," the England midfielder said.

"We need to be five to 10% better than we've been all season. We need to improve.

"That is everyone, including myself, we are not firing on all cylinders at the moment.

"As a team we want to go out and win. Maybe a draw would be a good result, but we want to come here and get a great result.

"We are improving and we don't think it will be too long before we are back to our top level and higher."

And Cole says they need to forget about Mourinho, who led the side to consecutive Premier League titles in 2005 and 2006 and the Champions League semi-finals in the last two years.

"The club were very successful under Jose but in football things move on and things change," he said.

"We want to draw a line under that now and look forward. The atmosphere has been fine, obviously nothing runs smoothly when there is any change among leaders and managers.

"We all just want to look forward to a successful future with Avram and Chelsea, and win things."

Terry to lead Chelsea at Valencia

Chelsea captain John Terry wore a protective mask in training

Champions League, Group B match

Date: Wednesday, 3 October

Kick-off: 1945 BST

Venue: Mestalla

Listen: BBC Radio 5live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile; Score on BBCi (1930 BST)

Chelsea captain John Terry will start his side's Group B clash against Valencia, BBC Sport understands.

Terry will play wearing a protective mask on the injury, but England colleague Frank Lampard is still ruled out with a thigh problem.

Fellow midfielder Michael Essien took part in training on Tuesday evening and is also expected to feature despite a leg injury.

Valencia have keeper Santiago Canizares and defender Carlos Marchena fit.

"John Terry wants to play which is very good. He's someone who gives a good example. He's injured but wanted to continue, even in the last game.

"He's brave, he's a nice guy and his commitment is incredible. It's not an easy time for us and we need John Terry.

"The game that is nearest is the most important, as it will be for Valencia.

"We must forget the fact that we lost two points in the first match and get a good result.

"We want to win every game. If we can make the game exciting as well then we will do it, but we want to win the game."

Valencia coach Quique Sanchez Flores:

"We don't know how their players will react to Jose Mourinho's departure, but when they go on to the pitch it is the players who dictate what happens.

"It is impossible to calculate what the consequences will be in the short term.

"What we are interested in is playing the game that we want, to do well and obtain a good result.

"I have a lot of respect for Mourinho's work, he has good methodology, good control of the players and he is one of the leading coaches in the football world."

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Terry, Ben-Haim, Alex, Essien, Belletti, A Cole, J Cole, Bridge, Shevchenko, Wright-Phillips, Kalou, Pizarro, Malouda, Sidwell, Drogba, Sinclair.

BIG MATCH STATS

Head-to-heads

The only previous meetings between Valencia and Chelsea came in the quarter-finals of last season's Champions League. The first leg at Stamford Bridge ended 1-1, thanks to goals by Silva and Didier Drogba; Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Essien led Chelsea to victory in the return leg after Fernando Morientes had given Valencia a 1-0 lead.

Valencia have hosted English opposition on 14 occasions winning seven, drawing four and losing three; Chelsea have visited Spanish clubs on 11 occasions, recording two wins, two draws and seven defeats. Their last defeat on Spanish soil came on 1 November 2005 in the CL group phase against Real Betis (1-0).

European history

This is Valencia's sixth Champions League participation. They have progressed from the group phase in four of their last five attempts.

Chelsea have always survived the group phase in their five CL participations.

Current European form

Valencia's last defeat in European competition was in last year's CL quarter-final match against Chelsea on 10 April 2007 (1-2).

That match also marks Chelsea's last away win in the Champions League.

Player and disciplinary info

Chelsea's Claudio Pizarro will turn 29 on the day of the match.

Four of Andriy Shevchenko's 47 CL goals came as a Chelsea player. Frank Lampard's 43 CL appearances for Chelsea is a club record.

Claudio Pizarro and Ricardo Carvallo will make their 50th career CL appearances, if selected.

Other miscellaneous facts

Valencia are three goals shy from totalling 100 in the Champions League.

Newly appointed Chelsea manager Avram Grant is the third Israeli coach in Champions League history, joining Itzhak Shum (Maccabi Haifa 2002-03 and Panathinaikos 2004-05) and Nir Klinger (Maccabi Tel Aviv 2004-05).

Valencia won 1-0 at Recreativo Huelva on Sunday And are third in the Spanish Primera Division; Chelsea had to settle for a 0-0 draw with Fulham and slumped to 8th in the Premier League.

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Valencia 1-2 Chelsea

Didier Drogba gave new Chelsea boss Avram Grant the perfect tonic with a crucial second-half strike that earned a Champions League win in Valencia.

Chelsea captain John Terry played with a mask on a fractured cheekbone and led from the front in a defiant display.

Valencia took the lead after nine minutes when David Villa raced clear to beat Petr Cech.

But Joe Cole scrambled an equaliser before half-time then passed for Drogba to slot home after 70 minutes.

Terry, as expected, took his place in the line-up wearing protection on the injury he sustained against Fulham on Saturday.

Valencia gave Chelsea a scare inside the first 40 seconds, with David Silva firing narrowly over the top.

It was brief reprieve for Chelsea as Valencia were rewarded for their brisk opening with a goal after nine minutes.

A loose ball bounced off Michael Essien into the path of Villa, who showed real pace to escape Terry and slide a composed finish past Petr Cech.

Cech made a crucial save after 20 minutes, blocking from Joaquin after good work by Fernando Morientes.

The worth of the save was emphasised seconds later as Chelsea broke to level and stun Valencia.

Florent Malouda was the architect, exchanging passes with Drogba before sliding in a perfect cross for Cole to get a touch just ahead of Emiliano Moretti to score.

Joaquin was posing problems for Chelsea, and he should have restored Valencia's lead when the ball rebounded off Ricardo Carvalho into his path, but he shot over the top.

There was a worrying moment for Chelsea on the stroke of half-time when Drogba pulled up clutching his hamstring, but he recovered and emerged after the interval.

Villa thought he had put Valencia back in front after 55 minutes when he was played in by Morientes, but his finish past Cech was chalked off for offside.

Chelsea had shown real composure after the break, and they got their reward when Drogba put them in front with 20 minutes left.

Joe Cole was the creator, winning possession before delivering a brilliant through ball with the outside of his right foot for Drogba to race clear of Raul Albiol and score.

Drogba then tested Valencia keeper Timo Hildebrand with a 20-yard free-kick as Chelsea grew in confidence.

Valencia, inevitably, mounted a fierce assault in the closing minutes but Chelsea were not to be denied and claimed the points.

"You saw the attitude in the last two weeks, it has been difficult, but it was good. I keep telling you I'm very happy with the attitude.

"It's nice to be at the top. We came here to win the game. I think we want to do it and in the right way. To come back from 1-0, the second half we dominated, I'm happy.

"All the staff and the players have done a very good job. We did it the right way."

Valencia: Hildebrand, Miguel, Albiol, Helguera, Moretti, Joaquin (Arizmendi 89), Marchena, Albelda (Baraja 74), Silva, Morientes (Zigic 69), Villa.

Subs Not Used: Canizares, Sunny, Angulo, Alexis.

Booked: Marchena.

Goals: Villa 9.

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Terry, Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Makelele, Essien (Sidwell 84), Obi (Alex 89), Joe Cole, Drogba, Malouda (Kalou 85).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Belletti.

Booked: Obi.

Goals: Joe Cole 21, Drogba 71.

Att: 52,000

Ref: Roberto Rosetti (Italy).

Grant hails Terry after Blues win

Chelsea boss Avram Grant paid tribute to John Terry after his captain defied a facial injury to help the Blues to a vital Champions League win in Valencia.

Terry fractured his cheekbone against Fulham at the weekend but wore a protective mask as Chelsea shrugged off their poor form to earn a 2-1 victory.

"John's very special," said Grant. "You can't have a better example than him."

Terry added: "We had to pick ourselves up and we hope this is the kick-start we need after a few iffy performances."

The Blues had not won in four matches in the Premier League and, having drawn their opening Champions League match at home to Rosenborg in September, were desperate for a result at the Mestalla Stadium.

"We haven't been performing as we'd have liked, but we had a great team spirit tonight," said Terry.

"Maybe we had lost it a bit but it's been difficult. We had many great performances against Valencia and needed a collective performance."

It has been reported that Chelsea are on the look-out for a coach to assist Grant at Stamford Bridge, with Ajax chief and former Barcelona coach Henk ten Cate linked with a move to the club.

But Israeli Grant preferred instead to talk about the contribution of striker Didier Drogba, who showed little sign of his recent knee injury when he strode onto Joe Cole's pass to fire the winner.

"Didier is a good striker but I don't think that is news. I was happy with his attitude and his willingness to give everything for Chelsea football club," said Grant.

"You have seen the attitude from all the players in the last two weeks - it has been difficult, but it was good."

And Cole added that he hoped the win would represent a change in fortunes for the Londoners.

"A lot has happened over the last month and we needed a win," said the midfielder.

"It was a fantastic defensive display, two goals and a great win, a great confidence booster."

Hull 0-4 Chelsea

When Sidwell's 25-yard drive made it 3-0 after only 52 minutes, a rout seemed to be on the cards

But his replacement Joe Cole did set up the fourth goal, providing the precise pass for Kalou to power home.

[/quote)

Darn, I was hoping that Siddy would be unable to make any kind of impact at Chelsea as I would dearly love to see him back at Reading.....still one goal against a League One team is hardly going to guarantee him a regular starting berth...plus .you don't really need him do ya?

I'm sure our chairman would stump up 5m for him :o

He could be the difference between us staying up or going down...but do you think he's good enough to become a Chelsea regular?

Darn, I was hoping that Siddy would be unable to make any kind of impact at Chelsea as I would dearly love to see him back at Reading.....still one goal against a League One team is hardly going to guarantee him a regular starting berth...plus .you don't really need him do ya?

He could be the difference between us staying up or going down...but do you think he's good enough to become a Chelsea regular?

You never know, he might go out on loan during the Transfer window.

Ten Cate cools Chelsea move talk

Ajax coach Henk Ten Cate has confirmed Chelsea are interested in luring him to Stamford Bridge - but played down claims that he has agreed a move.

Ten Cate's agent Sigi Lens said a deal for him to move to Chelsea as boss Avram Grant's assistant was in place.

Ten Cate said: "I know that Chelsea are interested in me.

"But not every story that does the rounds is true. I am coach at Ajax and my position is not up for discussion as far as I know."

He added: "Last year I came to Amsterdam because becoming champion with Ajax is my great dream.

"Despite the fact that we are now out of the Champions League and Uefa Cup I still feel secure in my position.

"I will be, as normal, on the bench when we meet Sparta Rotterdam on Sunday."

Chelsea have confirmed they are looking to bolster Grant's backroom staff and could bring in a foreign coach.

And Ten Cate's representative Lens told The Sun: "It's true we have an agreement with Chelsea.

"It's an opportunity for him, a challenge for him to work with a big team and work with Avram Grant to build a new team."

Lens added: "Chelsea have spoken to Henk about the matter. There was a conversation and both the manager and Henk are on the same wavelength.

"They invited Henk to a meeting to talk about technical matters and ask how he sees things and how he wants to play and that was good."

Ten Cate had a glowing reputation for his work as Frank Rijkaard's assistant at Barcelona - and it appears this is the role Chelsea want him to perform at Stamford Bridge.

Lens said: "Henk knows what he's doing. He did it in Barcelona."

And Ten Cate's representative hinted the appointment could be made swiftly if Chelsea can reach an agreement with Ajax.

"Chelsea want to take the coach now, so if there is an agreement between the two clubs everything will be clear," said Lens.

"The will is there from both parties for Henk to start straight away. Henk does not want to wait until the end of the season, he wants to come now but it depends on how Ajax react."

Lens explained that the 52-year-old's work at Ajax made him the ideal candidate for Chelsea.

He said: "You can see how he plays the game tactically. Look at Ajax last year. The season before they finished fifth and with Henk they were joint top and only just lost out on the title by one goal."

Chelsea assistant manager Steve Clarke's future is currently the subject of speculation, although the Stamford Bridge club have made it clear they want him to stay on.

A club statement said: "One of the scenarios Avram is considering is a team containing a British assistant in Steve and a foreign assistant."

The Dutchman's appointment would appear to fit with Chelsea's plan to adopt a three-pronged approach to coaching at the club.

"This is a system the first team are already familiar with," the statement continued.

Ten Cate, who has a reputation for producing attacking football and being a hard task-master on the training ground, was formerly number two at Barcelona and helped the Catalan giants to Champions League glory in 2006.

In his first season as Ajax manager, the club missed out on the Dutch title on goal difference, though he has won a Dutch Cup and two Dutch Super Cups in his time at the Amsterdam Arena.

It is reported that he has been recommended to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich by sporting director Frank Arnesen.

I'm surprised he hasn't played more with Lamps out, he might get another run out soon as Mikel got sent off. I think he will make his impact in the new year when a big chunk of our squad will be off to the African Nations Cup.

Bolton v Chelsea

Reebok Stadium

Sunday, 7 October

Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day. Featured game on Sunday's Score and Final Score.

Bolton midfielder Mikel Alonso is likely to be out after undergoing tests following a blow to the head.

Ivan Campo should return to the starting line-up along with the likes of Nicolas Anelka, El-Hadji Diouf, Gary Speed, Kevin Nolan and Ricardo Gardner.

Chelsea are without the suspended Didier Drogba but could welcome back England midfielder Frank Lampard.

Michael Essien (calf) and Shaun Wright-Phillips (hamstring) are doubts and Mikel John Obi is also suspended.

Bolton (from): Jaaskelainen, Walker, Al Habsi, J O'Brien, Hunt, Meite, Michalik, A O'Brien, Cid, Gardner, Campo, Wilhelmsson, Teymourian, Nolan, Speed, McCann, Stelios, Alonso, Braaten, Guthrie, Diouf, Anelka, Davies.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Belletti, Terry, Carvalho, Alex, Ben-Haim, A Cole, J Cole, Bridge, Essien, Lampard, Kalou, Sidwell, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Malouda, Wright-Phillips, Sinclair.

Bolton striker Kevin Davies:

"We're unbeaten in five, although there's probably a few too many draws there for us, and we need to try and turn them into wins.

"We're a lot more confident that we have been in recent weeks and we'll try and get a result on Sunday.

"There's no doubt about it; it's going to be a difficult game for us and Chelsea had a good win in midweek against Valencia which will give them a boost. But I think we owe them up here because the last few seasons they've turned us over."

"Frank has trained very hard in the last two weeks and he looks good. Of course I am happy that he could be ready for Sunday.

"Frank does a good job on the pitch not just in terms of goals, he does other things as well, and I will be very happy if he is fit.

"We don't know how long John Terry will have to wear the mask but he felt food with it - better than we thought he would. I didn't see any problem for him."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea return to the ground where they won their initial Premier League title in April 2005, looking to clinch back-to-back wins for the first time under Avram Grant, after Wednesday's 1-2 victory in Spain over Valencia in the Champions League; Bolton were also victorious in Europe having qualified for the group stages of the Uefa Cup.

The Londoners have made their worst start to a Premier League season since 2000, and are looking for a first goal in five matches.

Bolton, unbeaten in five in all competitions, face one of the so called "Big Four" for the first time this season, having won one of their first eight league outings. They managed just one victory in their first nine matches of the 1963-64 season, when they went on to be relegated and exiled from the top division for 14 years.

Chelsea are vying for a fifth successive Premier League victory at the Reebok Stadium.

CLUB FORM

BOLTON WANDERERS

(all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Pressing for a first win in five Premier League games.

2. Claimed one victory in 14 league outings; 3-0, home to Reading on 25 August.

3. The victory over Reading is the only occasion in which they have scored more than a single goal in a league game this term, and kept a clean sheet in 15 attempts.

4. One of four clubs with just one Premier League victory so far this season. The others are Derby, Fulham and Tottenham.

5. One of three clubs to have lost five Premier League matches. The others are Derby and Reading.

6. Dropped 19 Premier League points. Only Derby match that.

7. Scored in all but one of the last 23 Premier League matches; the 1-0 loss, away to Birmingham on 15 September being the exception.

8. Not won in six Premier League games against London opposition, although the 0-1 defeat to Chelsea on 29 November 2006 is the only reverse in nine league matches against clubs from the capital at the Reebok.

9. Need two more goals to total 200 in home Premier League matches all-time.

10. The next match after the international break, is away to Arsenal.

CHELSEA

(all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Pressing for a first win in five Premier League games.

2. The only club in the top 12 of the Premier League with a negative goal difference.

3. Needing one victory to record 1,500 wins in their League history.

4. On the longest current scoreless streak in the Premier League of 419 minutes (six hours 59 minutes) since Frank Lampard's winner against Portsmouth on 25 August.

5. One of three clubs to have failed to score in four Premier League matches so far this season; the others are Derby and Birmingham.

6. Opened the scoring in fewer Premier League matches than any other club; just once (v Portsmouth).

7. Gained an unrivalled seven Premier League points from losing positions this term.

8. Yet to win a league game under Avram Grant; one draw, one defeat so far.

9. Defeat would equal their total of away league losses last season; three.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

BOLTON WANDERERS

Nicolas ANELKA is Bolton's leading scorer with six goals - five of which were in the Premier League.

ANELKA and Jussi JAASKALAINEN are the only players to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Bolton's Premier League matches this season.

Gary SPEED, the only player to have netted in every Premier League season, is a hat-trick shy of 100 career league goals (Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton).

If selected:-

SPEED will be extending his record breaking number of Premier League appearances to 530.

Abdoulaye MEITE will be playing the day after turning 27.

MEITE will also be making his 50th appearance in a Bolton shirt.

CHELSEA

Frank LAMPARD is Chelsea's leading scorer with three goals - all in the Premier League.

Goalkeeper Petr CECH is the only player who has been on the field for every minute of every one of Chelsea's Premier League matches this season.

If on the field from the outset:-

ASHLEY COLE will be making his 50th start in a Chelsea shirt.

Suspended:-

Mikel John OBI (one match) and Didier DROGBA (one match).

HEAD TO HEAD

Bolton have not scored in four successive home Premier League matches against Chelsea.

The Trotters have not won in seven meetings with Chelsea since a 1-2 triumph at Stamford Bridge on 13 December 2003, and have not picked up three points at home against them in six matches (drawn two, lost four) since 1-0 on 26 October 1997 when Dean Holdsworth scored.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Bolton 34 wins, Chelsea 38, Draws 26

Prem: Bolton 3 wins, Chelsea 9, Draws 4

at Bolton only

League (inc PL): Bolton 22 wins, Chelsea 13, Draws 14

Prem: Bolton 2 wins, Chelsea 4, Draws 2

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Chelsea

29 November 2006 - Ref: Steve Bennett

Chelsea scorer: Ballack 45

REFEREE

Alan Wiley (Burntwood, Staffordshire)

Shevchenko's goals vow

Chelsea's flop-striker Andriy Shevchenko insists he can turn his disappointing form around and score 20 Premier League goals this season.

The Ukrainian-star has found it hard to adjust to the Premiership since his £30m move from AC Milan, hitting the net only four times in 33 league games.

His poor form was possibly not helped by previous Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho seemingly preferring Didier Drogba.

But with Avram Grant now in charge of the Blues, Shevchenko hopes to put this all behind him and starting hitting the net regularly again.

He told The Sun: "I'm a realist and I understand that you don't get dozens of chances in a game.

"But I'm planning to score 15 to 20 goals in the Premier League this season."

Speaking of the recent turbulent times at Stamford Bridge, he said: "I can't hide that for most of the players it was a genuine surprise when Mourinho left. After all, under Mourinho, the team overall was not playing badly.

"Of course, the draw against Rosenborg in the first round of the Champions League was something of a failure.

"As for Grant, it's not as if he has just arrived, everyone here knows him and likes him. The players are now ready to support the manager in what is not an easy situation.

"Everything is good, everything is calm. Chelsea are a strong unit and everyone is supportive of everyone else, on and off the pitch."

Despite already losing ground to title pace-setters Arsenal, Shevchenko believes they can still win the Premiership.

And he believes Grant can also lead Chelsea to Champions League glory for the first time.

"Grant showed his worth as a solid specialist with the Champions League victory over Valencia," he said.

"We are working our socks off in training, and stretching ourselves to the limits. We've got serious ambitions and plans. We have to take this league."

Bolton 0-1 Chelsea

Salomon Kalou scored the only goal as Chelsea won in the Premier League for the first time since 25 August.

It was Chelsea's first Premier League goal in 460 minutes, Kalou scoring from a tight angle after hesitation between Abdoulaye Meite and Jussi Jaaskelainen.

The Bolton keeper made decent saves from Frank Lampard and Florent Malouda.

Bolton created several chances and Petr Cech denied Kevin Davies, El-Hadji Diouf and Nicolas Anelka, while Stelios Giannakopoulos clipped the crossbar.

Boss Sammy Lee went into the fixture having left midfield duo Kevin Nolan and Gary Speed out of the squad.

It was a brave move but the team he did select can perhaps consider themselves unfortunate to lose after taking the match to Chelsea and, in the first half at least, creating numerous openings.

Nonetheless, the result means Bolton have lost three of their four Premier League matches at home and have collected just five points from their nine games to remain anchored in the bottom three.

For Avram Grant, it was his first Premier League victory as Chelsea boss and gives his team back-to-back wins after the Champions League defeat of Valencia in midweek.

Chelsea threatened within a minute, Jaaskelainen saving Kalou's flicked header, but it was Bolton who stamped their authority over the opening phase of the match.

Danny Guthrie forced Cech into an early save, while the Czech keeper was forced into action again to deny Davies after the stand-in skipper ended a driving run with a low strike.

The visiting team, at the ground where they clinched the Premier League title in 2005, slowly began to assume control of the midfield.

Lampard, back in the side after a thigh injury, made clean contact from 20 yards. Jasskelainen spilled the shot but the ball fell to a Bolton player.

Kalou twice created opportunities for Malouda, first with a brilliant curved pass and then with a header. Malouda wastefully drilled his first strike over the crossbar while Jaaskelainen made an excellent low save from his second effort.

Bolton's enthusiasm, though, was clear to see and they continued to push forward whenever possible.

Terry, wearing his mask, struggled to contain Davies while Cech saved from Ivan Campo and, after a superb Bolton break, denied Nicolas Anelka.

The home team were made to pay for the moment of hesitation between Meite and Jaaskelainen as they attempted to clear a header into the box.

Kalou seized his chance to steal between the two, resisting an attempt from Meite to wrestle him off the ball before putting Chelsea ahead.

Bolton might have immediately restored parity - and gone into the break on level terms, but Steve Sidwell escaped what appeared to be a handball inside his own area.

Diouf was the next to threaten, climbing to meet a Davies cross but denied by Cech.

Claudio Pizarro replaced the injured Kalou at the break and failed to hit the target with two ambitious strikes, while Joe Cole also missed from distance.

Bolton continued to enjoy their fair share of the play but lacked the penetration they found in the first half.

They had a decent chance when Sidwell was penalised for handball 19 yards from goal but Anelka's strike cleared the crossbar by some distance.

Substitute Giannakopoulos shaved the crossbar with a header in injury time.

Bolton boss Sammy Lee:

"I was pleased. I don't want people to misread that but the application of the players was superb.

"I'm pleased with the fact we created a number of chances against Chelsea and played some good football.

"It was a very solid team performance. We really pushed Chelsea right to the end. The team spirit was superb."

Chelsea boss Avram Grant:

"We deserved to win. We created more chances.

"It is not easy against Bolton but three points is what mattered. It was very good for the team after we did not start the season so well.

"We missed many, many players through either injuries or red cards but we dominated the game."

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Joey O'Brien (Giannakopoulos 85), Andrew O'Brien, Meite, Gardner, Campo, Davies, Guthrie, McCann, Diouf (Wilhelmsson 66), Anelka.

Subs Not Used: Al Habsi, Cid, Braaten.

Booked: Campo, Diouf, McCann, Davies, Jaaskelainen.

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Terry, Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Makelele, Lampard, Sidwell, Malouda (Shevchenko 73), Kalou (Pizarro 46), Joe Cole (Ferreira 84).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ben-Haim.

Booked: Carvalho.

Goals: Kalou 41.

Att: 20,059

Ref: Alan Wiley (Staffordshire).

just seen this on the bbc , looks like Grant wont last that long after all :

Ajax let Chelsea talk to Ten Cate Ajax have given Chelsea the green light to open talks with boss Henk ten Cate about adding the Dutchman to coaching set-up at Stamford Bridge.

Ten Cate is expected to join Chelsea as assistant to Avram Grant, who recently succeeded Jose Mourinho as Blues boss.

"Ajax have reached agreement with the English club about the immediate transfer of Henk ten Cate to Chelsea," said an Ajax statement.

Ajax expect a deal to be reached quickly between the two parties.

The statement from the club added: "After being approached by Chelsea, Henk ten Cate asked the Ajax management last week for permission to start negotiations with the Premier League side.

"After internal deliberations, Ajax granted permission." Ten Cate was formerly assistant to Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard before taking over at Ajax.

Ajax let Chelsea talk to Ten Cate

Ajax have given Chelsea the green light to open talks with boss Henk ten Cate about adding the Dutchman to the coaching set-up at Stamford Bridge.

Ten Cate is expected to join Chelsea as assistant to Avram Grant, who recently succeeded Jose Mourinho as Blues boss.

"Ajax have reached agreement with the English club about the immediate transfer of Henk ten Cate to Chelsea," said an Ajax statement.

Ajax expect a deal to be finalised quickly but Chelsea are yet to comment.

The statement from the club continued: "After being approached by Chelsea, Henk ten Cate asked the Ajax management last week for permission to start negotiations with the Premier League side.

"After internal deliberations, Ajax granted permission."

Ten Cate, 52, was formerly assistant to Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard and helped the Catalan club win the Champions League and Spanish title in 2006.

He took over at Ajax at the start of last season and led the club to joint top in his first campaign, with the club losing out on the title by goal difference.

Ajax did win two domestic cup competitions but Ten Cate has endured a more difficult time during the current campaign.

The club went out of the Champions League in the third qualifying round after being beaten by Slavia Prague and were knocked out of the Uefa Cup by Dinamo Zagreb.

Ten Cate's last game in charge of the Amsterdam outfit was Sunday's 2-2 draw with Sparta Rotterdam, when he and some of the club's hierarchy came in for criticism from some fans.

But Ten Cate defended his Ajax record and said afterwards: "What must I say about that? Under my leadership we have played 41 games, gained 92 points and scored over a hundred goals."

And with clubs currently having a break from domestic action because of players undertaking international duties, it could mean the appointment is in place in time for Chelsea's next Premier League game - at Middlesbrough on 20 October.

Steve Clarke was Mourinho's assistant and Chelsea are thought to want him to remain on the staff, despite Ten Cate's arrival.

• 2 weeks later...

Drogba 'wants to leave Chelsea'

Striker Didier Drogba is unhappy at Chelsea and wants to leave the club, according to France Football magazine.

In an interview due to be published on Friday, Drogba, 29, says morale is low since Jose Mourinho left as manager.

"I want to leave Chelsea. Something is broken with Chelsea," said Drogba. "The damage is big in the dressing room."

But Chelsea said: "Didier signed a new four-year contract last year. As a top professional we're sure he is committed to Chelsea and intends to honour it."

France Football is a well-established magazine in France that awards the Ballon d'Or for the European Footballer of the Year.

Drogba joined Chelsea from Marseille for £24m in July 2004 and has been the subject of regular speculation since then despite a prolific record with the Blues.

He signed his new deal last November but told the BBC the following month that he had considered leaving the previous summer in the wake of Chelsea's second successive league title.

In the France Football interview, Drogba is quoted as saying he wanted an even earlier exit and will not change his mind even if the club make high-profile signings next summer.

"Nothing can stop me from leaving now," he said.

Drogba says Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan or Inter Milan would be his preferred destination.

"Since the day I arrived, I wanted to leave Chelsea and then again every summer," he said.

"I know that Ronaldinho and Kaka are linked to come next season but even that won't change my mind."

Striker Didier Drogba is unhappy at Chelsea and wants to leave the club, according to France Football magazine.

In an interview due to be published on Friday, Drogba, 29, says morale is low since Jose Mourinho left as manager.

"I want to leave Chelsea. Something is broken with Chelsea," said Drogba. "The damage is big in the dressing room."

But Chelsea said: "Didier signed a new four-year contract last year. As a top professional we're sure he is committed to Chelsea and intends to honour it."

France Football is a well-established magazine in France that awards the Ballon d'Or for the European Footballer of the Year.

Drogba joined Chelsea from Marseille for £24m in July 2004 and has been the subject of regular speculation since then despite a prolific record with the Blues.

He signed his new deal last November but told the BBC the following month that he had considered leaving the previous summer in the wake of Chelsea's second successive league title.

In the France Football interview, Drogba is quoted as saying he wanted an even earlier exit and will not change his mind even if the club make high-profile signings next summer.

Drogba says Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan or Inter Milan would be his preferred destination.

"Since the day I arrived, I wanted to leave Chelsea and then again every summer," he said.

"I know that Ronaldinho and Kaka are linked to come next season but even that won't change my mind."

Is this the type of player you need in your team at a time when the club needs eveyine to be pulling in the same direction :o:D:D .

He wouldnt last another week in the first team at Liverpool if thats the way he's acting.

Drogba to be dropped this weekend then :D .

Is this the type of player you need in your team at a time when the club needs eveyine to be pulling in the same direction :o:D:D .

He wouldnt last another week in the first team at Liverpool if thats the way he's acting.

Drogba to be dropped this weekend then :D .

Its not something we need right now but you can never take for granted what you read in the papers, he has already come out and said he regrets making those comments in a French magazine. If he doesn't improve his form I will be glad to see the back of him, it will be interesting to see if he can find a better club than Chelsea, like all the others that have left I'm sure he will just fade into obscurity :D