Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Hi you experts Chelsea Gents!

Not being an expert on Chelsea I would like to ask how much 'credit' the new manager Avram Grant has from Abramovitch ?

The same question about Henk ten Cate; how much credit does he have ?

The reason I ask this is the special link & contact from Abramovitch to Guus Hiddink, the present manager of the Russian Team..... :D

I have a feeling that Guus Hiddink could be the next manager at Chelsea in the not too far distance.

Could that be a reason why Ten Cate was hired ?

What do you think ?

LaoPo

BUMP

No Chelsea experts able to give an answer ? :o

LaoPo

Hi you experts Chelsea Gents!

Not being an expert on Chelsea I would like to ask how much 'credit' the new manager Avram Grant has from Abramovitch ?

The same question about Henk ten Cate; how much credit does he have ?

The reason I ask this is the special link & contact from Abramovitch to Guus Hiddink, the present manager of the Russian Team..... :D

I have a feeling that Guus Hiddink could be the next manager at Chelsea in the not too far distance.

Could that be a reason why Ten Cate was hired ?

What do you think ?

LaoPo

BUMP

No Chelsea experts able to give an answer ? :o

LaoPo

There aren't many of them :D

Grant: I want to keep SWP

Avram Grant has again moved to reassure Shaun Wright-Phillips that the winger has a role to play at Chelsea.

Wright-Phillips has not started a game for his club for the past month and it has prompted renewed speculation about his future in West London.

The England international has never fully established himself as a regular during his time at Stamford Bridge, but Grant is not looking to move the £21million man on in January.

Instead, the Chelsea manager revealed his willingness to listen to any issues that members of his squad may have.

"The players know before they sign that it will be a big squad at Chelsea and they will not play all the time," said Grant.

"We need everybody. I want for the players to be happy. But I am sure that sometimes there is one player less happy than the others, but what matters is what they do for the team.

"What is important for me is how Shaun trains and his attitude on the pitch and off it. I want him to be happy like all the players.

"But I don't think that I can make everybody happy unless I can play with one team in the first half and another in the second.

"I don't want to sell any players. I am happy with the squad I have. If there is a problem, the players know now they can knock on my door and we will find a solution."

I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I will try to answer your questions for you. I think Grant, Clarke and Cate have been given plenty of credit by Roman,

he has been so impressed by what Grant is trying to do that he is prepairing a 3 year contract for him and his staff, so that will rule out a move for Hiddink.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I will try to answer your questions for you. I think Grant, Clarke and Cate have been given plenty of credit by Roman,

he has been so impressed by what Grant is trying to do that he is prepairing a 3 year contract for him and his staff, so that will rule out a move for Hiddink.

Thanks Seapok, much appreciated. But, in football one never knows, do we ? :o

LaoPo

Chelsea v Leicester

Chelsea are likely to ring the changes for Wednesday's Carling Cup clash with Leicester City at Stamford Bridge.

Although Blues head coach Avram Grant is keen to continue Chelsea's winning form, he also wants to keep his players fresh and will tweak his starting XI.

The likes of Claudio Pizarro and Andrei Shevchenko are both set for rare starts after emerging from the bench in last weekend's 6-0 mauling of Manchester City.

Defender Tal Ben Haim and defensive midfielder Claude Makelele are also likely to start while Carlo Cudicini should feature in goal ahead of No.1 Petr Cech.

Full-back Ashley Cole (ankle) and captain John Terry (knee) are both definitely out along with Germany international midfielder Michael Ballack, who is yet to feature this season.

Leicester caretaker boss Frank Burrows is waiting on the fitness of a number of his players ahead of the daunting trip to Stamford Bridge.

Although The Foxes dispatched Barnsley 2-0 at the weekend, James Wesolowski and Iain Hume both picked up knocks while Stephen Clemence is struggling with a hamstring tear.

On-loan Collins John opened his Leicester account against The Tykes, although he is cup-tied and will take no part. Carl Cort or DJ Campbell could fill in for the Fulham striker.

What the hel_l was all that about? conceding 3 goals at home isn't really good enough, I know Carlo was in goal but the man is the second best keeper in the league. Note from teacher......must do better.

Chelsea 4-3 Leicester

Carling Cup holders Chelsea needed two late Andriy Shevchenko goals to reach the last eight out of the competition.

Gareth McAuley's header gave Leicester an early lead, but the home side went in at the break in front, thanks to two calm finishes from Frank Lampard.

Keeper Marton Fulop kept Leicester in the game and DJ Campbell's header set up a tense finale at Stamford Bridge.

Carl Cort's tap-in put the Foxes ahead, but Shevchenko - with a rasping shot and scrambled finish - turned the tie.

A longer report this time, bit to quick last time! :o

Chelsea 4-3 Leicester

Carling Cup holders Chelsea needed two late goals to reach the last eight as Frank Lampard grabbed a hat-trick.

Gareth McAuley's header gave Leicester an early lead, but the home side went in at the break in front, thanks to two calm finishes from captain Lampard.

Keeper Marton Fulop kept Leicester in the game and DJ Campbell's header set up a tense finale at Stamford Bridge.

Carl Cort's tap-in put the Foxes ahead, but Shevchenko with a rasping shot and a Lampard header turned the tie.

Leicester gave an early taste that they had not arrived as sacrificial lambs when their captain McAuley rose unchallenged to head home a free-kick.

Before Wednesday Lampard had not scored since August, but the England midfielder got back in the goalscoring groove when he finished off a three-man move to equalise.

Scott Sinclair played a key role in that goal and the youngster set up Chelsea's second when his cross bobbled loose to Lampard, who volleyed home.

Fulop made three crucial saves, twice denying Claudio Pizarro and pushing an effort from Sinclair on to the post.

Campbell punished Chelsea's profligacy in the 69th minute when he headed Levi Porter's chip over the advancing Cudicini and into the net.

Five minutes later Alan Sheehan's free-kick was missed by everyone except Cort at the far post and the former Wimbledon striker swept the ball home.

But Shevchenko levelled for Chelsea in the 87th minute and in the dying seconds Lampard's header squeezed over the line to provide a dramatic winner.

Chelsea: Cudicini, Belletti, Alex, Ben-Haim (Essien 80), Ferreira (Malouda 52), Wright-Phillips, Sidwell, Lampard, Sinclair (Kalou 78), Shevchenko, Pizarro.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Obi.

Booked: Sidwell, Ben-Haim.

Goals: Lampard 20, 29, Shevchenko 87, Lampard 90.

Leicester: Fulop, Stearman, McAuley, N'Gotty, Kisnorbo, Sheehan, Newton (Porter 60), Chambers, Kenton, Cort, Fryatt (Campbell 62), Porter (Maybury 80).

Subs Not Used: Henderson, Hellings.

Booked: Newton, Sheehan.

Goals: McAuley 6, Campbell 69, Cort 74.

Att: 40,037.

Ref: Phil Dowd (Staffordshire).

Lamp shines again

Ask anybody who was at Stamford Bridge last Saturday and they'll tell you Frank Lampard is about to re-establish himself as one of the Premier League's top midfielders.

After missing six weeks of the season through injury, seeing the popular Jose Mourinho leave Chelsea, losing his place in England's midfield to Gareth Barry and being the target for the Wembley boo-boys, it has certainly been an eventful start to the season for the Blues vice-captain.

But at the weekend, as Chelsea ruthlessly put Manchester City to the sword in a 6-0 thrashing at Stamford Bridge, Lampard was at his effervescent best, spraying the ball around the pitch and acting as the fulcrum for Avram Grant's ever-improving side.

Perhaps surprisingly, the only thing missing was a goal, but speaking exclusively to skysports.com, Lampard insisted that should not take anything away from a magnificent display.

"I would say it's one of my best performances ever," he said. "It didn't have a goal and maybe because I do score quite a lot people wouldn't realise how good the performance was.

"But in terms of my all-round play and my passing, I certainly enjoyed the game. Looking back over recent times I can't remember playing much better in terms of my passing, for sure."

Four days later, Lampard made up for that blank with a hat-trick in Chelsea's 4-3 triumph over Leicester as once again he dictated proceedings and dragged his team-mates back from the brink of a shock Carling Cup exit.

Explaining the reasons for his sudden return to prominence, Lampard insisted he was back to full fitness and was playing with a renewed hunger and confidence.

"I've had an injury which kept me out for six weeks and I've come back very hungry in the last two or three weeks and I feel very sharp," he continued.

"Football is about some moments in your career when you feel very good and on top of your game, and other moments when you're not so good. Saturday was one where I felt very good.

"I hope to carry that forward. I'm full of confidence and I'm hoping to take that on to all the games coming up."

Lampard's emphatic display against City was widely applauded by commentators at the weekend, but his endeavours were arguably matched a day later by the efforts of fellow midfielders Steven Gerrard and Cesc Fabregas in Liverpool's Anfield draw with Arsenal.

Gerrard has eclipsed Lampard as England boss Steve McClaren's first-choice attacking midfielder, while Fabregas has stolen the limelight this season with a series of sizzling displays.

And while Lampard is keen to focus on his own form, he was willing to offer praise for his fellow midfield superstars.

He added: "Steven Gerrard is a top player, everyone knows that. He's very inspirational in the Liverpool team and over the past few season he's been their captain and inspired them to all the things they've won. Along with Jamie Carragher, he's the heartbeat of that team.

"And the way Cesc Fabregas is playing at the moment is absolutely fantastic. He's a total footballer. His passing and awareness for someone so young is absolutely unbelievable and he's added goals to his game, which is making him a formidable player.

"I wouldn't like to say who the better player is at the moment."

But Lampard is not willing to settle for second best. The 29-year-old maintains that his game is still improving and he is continually fuelled by a desire to add more silverware to his collection.

"To be a top player you have to have ambition," he continued. "You have to have drive and you have to want to make yourself a better player every day or every season. That's certainly something I'd like to say I have done.

"My ambition is to win more titles - whether that's league titles, European titles or cup titles. I'm always hungry to win more."

Lamps eyes 100-goal mark

Frank Lampard has set his sights on his 100th Chelsea goal after a hat-trick against Leicester took him to within touching distance of the century milestone.

The England midfielder hit the back of the net three times in Chelsea's 4-3 Carling Cup win over Leicester on Wednesday, to take his Blues goal scoring tally to 96, and he is now looking forward.

Lampard has struggled for form this season, and was snubbed from England manager Steve McClaren's first XI for the Euro 2008 qualifying double-header against Estonia and Russia earlier this month.

However, Lampard now appears to be back to his best after his instrumental performance in last weekend's 6-0 Premier League demolition of Manchester City was followed by Wednesday's hat-trick heroics.

Lampard spent six weeks out of the Chelsea team at the beginning of the season as he struggled with a thigh injury and the 29-year-old believes he is now experiencing the benefits.

"It was just about six weeks I had out in the end and it was a frustrating time. I've been very lucky with injuries up to now although it was even harder not being involved especially because it was a difficult time for the lads.

"I feel very fresh and hungry at the moment and just want to keep playing as I am. Maybe it has freshened me up.

"You save your legs for a few weeks lying around and when you come back you want to get hold of things and get on the ball and you feel a real hunger to be a big part of the team.

"I'm getting near to 100 goals for Chelsea and that will be a real milestone. I will be very pleased when I get there.

"A hundred goals would mean a huge amount. Where I am now is right up there with a lot of Chelsea greats and I'm very proud to amongst them.

"I've been here for six and a half seasons now and to be anywhere near that figure is very exciting."

Wigan v Chelsea

JJB Stadium

Saturday, 3 November

Kick-off: 1500 GMT

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day. Featured game on Score and Final Score.

Struggling Wigan are almost at full strength with Mario Melchiot, Denny Landzaat, Antonio Valencia and Antoine Sibierski all now back to fitness.

Marcus Bent (stomach bug) is doubtful but Michael Brown (thigh) has recovered and Emile Heskey (metatarsal) could return to face Tottenham next week.

Chelsea will be without defender Paulo Ferreira, who has been ruled out for up to six weeks with an ankle injury.

Wayne Bridge is back from suspension and will take over at left-back.

Wigan (from): Kirkland, Melchiot, Granqvist, Bramble, Boyce, Kilbane, Koumas, Landzaat, Brown, Scharner, Valencia, Sibierski, Bent, Aghahowa, Skoko, Taylor, Pollitt, Olembe, Hall.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Belletti, Alex, Ben-Haim, Lampard, Obi, Essien, J Cole, Carvalho, Makelele, Sidwell, Malouda, Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Kalou, Wright-Phillips, Bridge.

Wigan boss Chris Hutchings:

"I'm enjoying it. This is what it's all about.

"It's great to pit yourself against the best teams in the country, and in Europe even. You've got to try to enjoy every game and learn from it.

"That's why we're here and everyone in the Championship would want to be where we are, that's for sure."

Chelsea boss Avram Grant on his injured defenders:

"Ashley Cole and John Terry are improving quicker than we thought.

"Ashley may be available next week, JT will take longer but we need to wait and see how they will cope.

"Paulo Ferreira is not available and will be out for five or six weeks. We are short but we have a big squad and we have good players to replace him."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Nose-diving Wigan, who were top of the table in August, are looking to take a point off one of the "Big Four" for the first time in 18 attempts, and end a five-match losing league run under Chris Hutchings.

Avram Grant's resurgent Chelsea, who were only the best goal in seven victors of Championship Leicester in the Carling Cup on Wednesday, return to the Premier League where they registered a bigger win than was ever accomplished under Jose Mourinho last time out. The 6-0 home hammering of Manchester City last Saturday leaves the Londoners bidding for a fourth successive league victory, and well placed for a serious title challenge.

Chelsea are attempting to stretch their 100% winning Premier League record over Wigan into a fifth game.

CLUB FORM

WIGAN ATHLETIC

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 13th

Lowest could fall: 19th

1. On the longest losing run in the Premier League this season of five matches, and the club's longest sequence without a point since an eight-game losing streak, between 13 December 2006 to 30 January 2007.

2. In danger of allowing Chelsea to follow in the footsteps of Reading (a), Liverpool (h), Manchester United (a), Portsmouth (h) and Birmingham (a), who have all taken maximum points off them since a 1-1 draw, home to Fulham on 15 September.

3. Claimed two points from a possible 24 since beating Sunderland 3-0 at the JJB on 18 August.

4. The highest placed of four clubs to have been beaten seven times in the Premier League this season. The others are Bolton, Derby and Middlesbrough.

5. Victory will bring their total of Premier League points all-time to 100.

6. Had more than three times as many points by this stage in their first season in the Premier League (25) and over twice as many last season (17).

7. Scored 10 Premier League goals this season; only Derby have hit the back of the net less often (just five times). No club has netted fewer on home soil (five - one per game on average).

8. Not won any of the last 11 Premier League matches against London clubs, since a 0-2 victory, away to West Ham on 6 December last year.

9. Pointless and goalless in two at home, and picked up just one point from the last three at the JJB.

10. This is the first of three successive league games against London clubs. Two trips to the north of the capital follow this, against Tottenham and Arsenal.

CHELSEA

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 3rd

Lowest could fall: 6th

1. Won the last six, and undefeated in eight.

2. Won seven, drawn one and lost one of eight league and cup games under Avram Grant, of which three wins, one draw and one defeat were in the Premier League.

3. Hoping to complete four successive Premier League victories for the first time in 16 outings, since notching nine in a row on 18 April.

4. On the longest current streak in the Premier League of four games without conceding a goal. Completed 360 minutes (six hours), since Louis Saha's stoppage time penalty in Manchester United's 2-0 home win on 23 September.

5. The current total of 21 points after 11 games, is the lowest return to this stage since the 2002-03 season, when Claudio Ranieri's side went on to finish fourth. They are four points short on last year, and 10 points behind the pace set in their last title-winning campaign of 2005-06.

6. Kept six clean sheets in this Premier League campaign; only Manchester United beat that with seven.

7. One of four clubs to have won every Premier League match in which they've opened the scoring (all four matches).

8. One of three clubs to have gained as many as seven points from losing positions; won two and drawn one in which they were trailing.

9. One of two clubs not to have surrendered any points from winning positions. West Ham is the other club.

10. This match precedes Tuesday's Champions League Group B match in Germany, against Schalke 04.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

WIGAN ATHLETIC

Antoine SIBIERSKI and Marcus BENT are Wigan's joint leading scorers with three Premier League goals each.

Only Titus BRAMBLE and Chris KIRKLAND have been on the field for every minute of every one of Wigan's Premier League matches this season.

If selected:-

Mario MELCHIOT will be playing on the eve of his 31st birthday.

MELCHIOT will be facing a former club. The Dutch defender made 165 appearances (130 in the league) and scored five goals (four league) in five seasons with Chelsea from June 1999 to July 2004.

CHELSEA

Frank LAMPARD and Arjen ROBBEN scored two goals each against Wigan last season.

LAMPARD and Didier DROGBA are Chelsea's leading scorers this season, with six goals each.

DROGBA is the clubs top marksmen in the Premier League, with four.

Goalkeeper Petr CECH is the only player who has been on the field for every minute of every one of Chelsea's Premier League matches this season.

DROGBA will be making his 100th Premier League appearance in a Chelsea shirt.

If on the field from the outset:-

LAMPARD will be making his 500th club career start (West Ham, Swansea, Chelsea).

HEAD TO HEAD

Emile Heskey's pair in last season's corresponding fixture are the only league goals Wigan have ever scored against Chelsea.

The Londoners threw away a two-goal lead in that match, but still won 2-3.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Wigan 0 wins, Chelsea 4, Draws 0

Prem: Wigan 0 wins, Chelsea 4, Draws 0

at Wigan only

League (inc PL): Wigan 0 wins, Chelsea 2, Draws 0

Prem: Wigan 0 wins, Chelsea 2, Draws 0

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Wigan Athletic 2-3 Chelsea

23 December 2006 - Ref: Mike Dean

Wigan scorers: Heskey 45, 75

Chelsea scorers: Lampard 13, Kalou 31, Robben 90

REFEREE

Steve Bennett (Orpington, Kent)

Wigan 0-2 Chelsea

Chelsea's revival under manager Avram Grant continued as they made light work of brushing aside Wigan.

Frank Lampard slotted in from a precise low cross from Shaun Wright-Phillips to put the visitors ahead.

Juliano Belletti finished off a fine run with a powerful curling strike to add Chelsea's second after 18 minutes.

Wigan were more physical after the break but their efforts were too late and in vain as Michael Brown's blocked shot was their closest strike on goal.

Chelsea have now won their last seven games in all competitions and some of the visitors' first-half play had lit up the JJB Stadium much like their luminous coloured away shirts, with Wright-Phillips a particularly bright spark for them.

Wigan had shown early signs of being able to present a challenge as Jason Koumas shot into the side-netting from a tight angle.

Denny Landzaat forced a save out of Blues keeper Petr Cech but Wigan soon succumbed as Chelsea took the lead after 11 minutes.

Wright-Phillips curled a ball into the path of a trademark run into the box from midfielder Lampard, who applied the finishing touch.

To their credit Wigan produced some nice football to try to prise the Blues defence open but found the task too much for them.

And Chelsea added a second when Belletti benefitted from Wright-Phillips managing to keep the ball in play before finding a path to goal open up for him as other players made decoy runs.

The Brazilian had time to look up and curled a 22-yard shot away from the despairing dive of keeper Chris Kirkland for his first goal for the club.

Wigan's fragile belief clearly waned as the game progressed as they showed as much sign of manufacturing an equaliser as their recent run of five consecutive defeats suggested.

But the home side started the second half with a renewed vigour and Landzaat had a shot deflected wide.

Wigan were a tougher proposition for Chelsea as they adopted a more physical approach and snapped at the heels of their opposition.

Brown almost earned some reward for the home side but had a shot from just outside the area blocked by defender Alex.

Didier Drogba started the match to make his 100th league appearance for Chelsea, despite more comments attributed to him unlikely to endear the striker to the club's hierarchy.

He was taken off after 75 minutes, while Chelsea went on to close out the game.

Wigan boss Chris Hutchings:

"It was excellent from us in second half. We didn't have any real luck in box but obviously conceding two goals in first half was disappointing.

"One or two players slept in and did not do what we required and that cost us.

"We have to keep positive."

Chelsea manager Avram Grant:

"We are back in the race again.

"We played well, especially in the first half. We scored two goals and had plenty of chances. Good game for us and a good win again.

"As long as we win and play attacking football that is good for me. We want to play good positive football."

Wigan: Kirkland, Melchiot, Granqvist, Bramble, Kilbane, Valencia, Brown (Skoko 85), Scharner, Landzaat (Sibierski 82), Koumas, Bent.

Subs Not Used: Pollitt, Aghahowa, Boyce. Booked: Landzaat, Bramble.

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Alex, Carvalho, Bridge, Obi, Essien (Sidwell 76), Lampard, Wright-Phillips, Drogba (Kalou 75), Malouda.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Shevchenko, Ben-Haim.

Booked: Drogba.

Goals: Lampard 11, Belletti 18.

Att: 19,011

Ref: Steve Bennett (Kent).

Grant happy with Blues style

Avram Grant was delighted with the manner of Chelsea's 2-0 victory at Wigan but admitted his side could still improve.

The Blues dominated the first half as goals from Frank Lampard and Juliano Belletti set them on course for a fourth consecutive win in the Premier League.

They had to withstand a lot of pressure from Wigan after the break but Grant felt his team were worth the three points.

He told Sky Sports: "I am pleased that we played good, positive attacking football. We scored two goals and we could have scored even more.

"We were not alone on the pitch. Wigan needed the points and they fought very well, but we played better so we won."

Chelsea have impressed in recent weeks but Grant has reiterated that he wants his side to stay in the winning habit whilst trying to play more expansive football.

He explained: "Our progress has been good, but I don't know how far away we are. I think we can play better.

"What is important is that we win, but the way to win is also important."

Chelsea are now just three points off the top of the Premier League, after leaders Arsenal played out a 2-2 draw with Manchester United earlier on Saturday.

"At this stage that was a good result for us because we are back in the race after losing too many points at the start of the season," said Grant.

Chelsea have been drawn to play Liverpool in the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup and Grant insists he wants to win the competition.

He commented: "The Carling Cup is not the FA Cup, the Champions League or the Premier League, but any game Chelsea play, even a friendly game, we want to win."

Kenyon impressed by Grant success

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon says new manager Avram Grant has done better than expected since taking over from Jose Mourinho.

The Blues have won eight of their 10 matches under Grant, and Kenyon conceded: "Avram, you have to say, has exceeded people's expectations.

"He has had seven straight wins, with some big games in there.

"You have to give credit where it is due, and credit is due to the team and to Avram Grant."

Kenyon added: "Five or six weeks ago, people were writing us off. But as of Saturday night, we are in third place in the table, three points behind leaders Arsenal."

It has been widely thought that Grant is merely in charge at Chelsea until the club identifies and secures its preferred manager.

Henk ten Cate arrived at Stamford Bridge from Ajax last month amid speculation he would not remain Grant's assistant for long.

And Guus Hiddink was heavily linked with the Chelsea manager's job before he signed a new contract to extend his stay as Russia coach.

But if Grant's tenure was initially designed to be temporary, Kenyon hinted that might not be the case now after his good results.

Kenyon said: "There is no time limit on this because we are talking about Chelsea being successful."

Meanwhile, Grant has revealed he feels England would not have fallen to a 2-1 defeat in their Euro 2008 qualifier against Russia last month had Frank Lampard been in the team.

England boss Steve McClaren opted to play Gareth Barry in midfield, with Lampard on the bench.

Former Israel coach Grant said: "Frank has a very strong character as everybody knows.

"I'm sure that if Frank and John Terry (who was injured) had played for England in Russia the result would have been very different."

Malouda: Blues ready to win

Chelsea winger Florent Malouda insists the club can show their worth this season despite the departure of Jose Mourinho.

After losing his first game in charge, Mourinho's replacement, Avram Grant, has seen his new charges win their last seven games.

"It is true we had a little bit of trouble inside the club, we changed the manager, but the fact is we had to go on," said Malouda.

"We need a lot of good results to get confidence and we need all details of the team to be good at the same moment. We come here as a group to prove to everybody that Chelsea can win a lot of things this season. I think everything is behind us now and we have to look forward.

"All the team is confident and we will try to prove it on the pitch. The team spirit comes from a lot of things. First the training - we train together and we train very hard - and when we train, it is to win something.

"All the players of this team wanted to come to Chelsea to win something. That is our ambition and that is what makes us have this great spirit."

Chelsea face Schalke on Tuesday, knowing they could all but seal their place in the next round with seven points already under their belts.

"The Champions League is one of our objectives this season," he continued.

"We don't like to choose between titles but it is a fact that to win the Champions League title, that is something very important in a career and I came to Chelsea for that.

"I hope that first we will qualify for the knockout stages. That is the first thing to do and after that we will see."

"We were not alone on the pitch.

He's quite switched on this Grant guy isn't he. :o

Oi oi oi, leave him alone, he isn't doing too bad at all, at least he hasn't conceded 6 goals yet!! haha

ooooooh, touchy about your new Massiah eh :D

Off topic but i watched a programme/drama on TV last night about the Chelsea Football hooligans. Is it really as bad as they make out with gangs etc?

Edited by mrbojangles

Oi oi oi, leave him alone, he isn't doing too bad at all, at least he hasn't conceded 6 goals yet!! haha

Off topic but i watched a programme/drama on TV last night about the Chelsea Football hooligans. Is it really as bad as they make out with gangs etc?

They have a reputation to uphold though don't they Mr Boj?

What are they called? Chesea Headhunters, or something like that?

They have a reputation to uphold though don't they Mr Boj?

What are they called? Chesea Headhunters, or something like that?

Yeah, something like that. Bunch of nutters, especially when they met up with Millwall :o

Yeah, don't think much haS changed from the 70-80s in respect of a lot of the Firms still exist. All a right bunch of tossers IMO. Just that they now are to well policed in and around the grounds on match days, so they do their business a little further away at prearranged spots.

I.D. is still the best Football hooligan movie ever though.

Schalke 04 v Chelsea

Champions League, Group B

Date: Tuesday, 6 November

Kick-off: 1945 GMT

Venue: Veltins Arena

Listen: BBC Radio 5 Live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile; Score on BBCi (1930 GMT)

Chelsea boss Avram Grant is likely to make a number of changes for the Champions League trip to Schalke.

Joe Cole should return after a slight knock, but full-back Ashley Cole (ankle) will not be considered.

Captain John Terry (knee), Paulo Ferreira (ankle) and Michael Ballack (ankle) remain sidelined.

Schalke are sweating on the fitness of striker Kevin Kuranyi, who limped out of a league game on Friday after picking up a leg injury.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Belletti, Alex, Ben-Haim, Lampard, Obi, Essien, J Cole, Carvalho, Makelele, Sidwell, Malouda, Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Kalou, Wright-Phillips, Bridge.

Chelsea boss Avram Grant:

"We are in a good position, but we want to finish it and qualify as soon as possible.

"In every aspect of the game we have improved. Our defensive game is better but especially the attacking football.

"We are more organised and have done that in a short space of time and the team has to have the credit."

BIG MATCH STATS

Qualification

Chelsea can qualify for the next round if they beat Schalke 04, and if Rosenborg beat Valencia.

Head-to-heads

Schalke and Chelsea's only previous meeting in European competition came two weeks ago when the Londoners won 2-0 at Stamford Bridge.

European history

This is Schalke's third Champions League season. In 2001-02 and 2005-06, they were eliminated in the group phase.

Chelsea have reached the semi-finals of the Champion League three times in 2003-04, 2004-05 and 2006-07, and have always survived the group phase in their five CL participations.

Current European form

Schalke's three points in this season's CL came from their away win in Trondheim, where they beat Rosenborg 2-0. Their last home win in European competition dates back to 14 September 2006, when they defeated AS Nancy 1-0 in the Uefa Cup first round.

Chelsea are unbeaten for three CL matches, winning the last two. Their last CL defeat was on 1 May 2007, when they lost 1-0 away at Liverpool.

Player and disciplinary info

Schalke's Jermaine Jones will be suspended if booked.

If selected, Chelsea's Claudio Pizarro will become the first player from Peru to complete 50 CL appearances. He made his CL debut on 18 September 2001 for Bayern Munich against Sparta Prague (0-0). Indeed all 49 previous CL appearances were for the German club.

Other miscellaneous facts

Chelsea are two goals short of netting their 100 in the Champions Cup/Champions League.

On Friday, Schalke lost 1-0 at bottom side Energie Cottbus. They are seventh place in the Bundesliga table, trailing league leaders Bayern Munich by 10 points.

Chelsea's 2-0 win at Wigan on Saturday took them up to third in the Premier League, three points adrift of leaders Arsenal who have a game in hand

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Yeah its something that happened alot back in the day but very rarely happens now days! the film was called Football Factory, alot better than Green Street but not as good as I.D.

Schalke 04 0-0 Chelsea

Chelsea edged closer to the knockout stages of the Uefa Champions League, but were given a real scare by Schalke.

With Rosenborg beating Valencia, victory in Gelsenkirchen would have been enough to seal Chelsea's passage.

But a strangely ragged Chelsea defence saw Heiko Westermann go close on three occasions before Petr Cech limped off with a calf strain at half-time.

Sub keeper Carlo Cudicini was twice rescued by his woodwork as Rafinha and Peter Lovenkrands went close late on.

Chelsea came into the game knowing that an eighth successive victory under Avram Grant could prove to be enough to seal their qualification for the knockout stages.

On the back of their 2-0 win over the German side a fortnight ago, and with Schalke ravaged by injuries for the return tie, the Blues would have been confident of further progress.

But it was the home side who started stronger, Ivan Rakitic and Marcelo Bordon both offered chances from the edge of the box as Chelsea needlessly conceded free-kicks in dangerous areas.

In between, Didier Drogba was brilliantly denied by young Schalke keeper Manuel Neuer, who had been left red-faced by an early blunder which gifted Florent Malouda an opener at Stamford Bridge.

The highly-rated youngster was clearly intent on not making the same mistake again, though in truth Chelsea barely tested him in the early exchanges.

Instead, it was the injury-hit home side who posed most of the questions, prompted by the busy Westermann.

Better known as a defender, Westermann was pushed into midfield and revelled in his advanced position.

On 19 minutes, he raced past Juliano Belleti and hit a shot that bounced in front of Cech and forced the keeper to palm the effort around his post. From the corner, Soren Larsen got ahead of Alex and fired into the side netting.

Then, four minutes later, Westermann again outstripped Belleti and forced Cech into action once more with another fierce drive.

Once again, the ensuing corner caused problems as Drogba was outjumped by central defender Bordon, who thumped a free header over the bar when he should have done better.

Cech looked uncomfortable amid the onslaught and the reason soon became apparent.

After his flap at a corner allowed Westermann a simple chance that forced Belleti into a goal-line clearance, Cech underwent lengthy treatment to an apparent calf injury and it was no surprise when he failed to come back out for the second half.

Cudicini replaced him for the second half but, by then, Chelsea could have eased Cech's pain by taking an undeserved half-time lead.

Brilliant work by Joe Cole in the middle created an opening for Drogba, who set himself well but saw his shot thud against the chest of a defiant Neuer.

With Group B surprise package Rosenborg leading in Valencia, Chelsea were effectively a single goal away from qualification.

But, having survived the earlier onslaught of the hard-working home side, Chelsea simply appeared happy to take the sting out of the game as Schalke began to tire.

And Grant's side had another huge escape 17 minutes from time when Rafinha's cute chip beat Cudicini but bounced off the crossbar.

They were even more fortunate in the dying moments when substitute Lovenkrands sprinted clear down the left and hit a low drive which beat Cudicini and smacked against the inside of the far post before being scrambled clear.

Chelsea manager Avram Grant:

"It was not a bad result but not our best game.

"After so many good games in a short time we can have one game that is not in the high level. It is also an away game against a team who feel very good playing at home.

"How bad Petr Cech's calf injury is, we need to wait and see. I asked the doctor if he could continue but he couldn't. But Carlo Cudicini came on and played well."

Schalke 04: Neuer, Rafinha, Bordon, Krstajic, Westermann, Jones, Bajramovic, Asamoah, Rakitic, Ozil (Lovenkrands 60), Larsen.

Subs not used: Schober, Grossmuller, Howedes, Azaouagh.

Booked: Rakitic.

Chelsea: Cech (Cudicini 46), Belletti (Obi 64), Alex, Carvalho, Bridge, Essien, Makelele, Lampard, Joe Cole, Malouda (Wright-Phillips 78), Drogba.

Subs not used: Shevchenko, Pizarro, Kalou, Ben-Haim.

Booked: Essien.

Attendance: 53,951

Referee: Massimo Busacca (Switzerland).

Cech sidelined with a torn calf

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech will miss Sunday's home match against Everton after tearing his right calf muscle.

Cech is almost certain to be sidelined for the Czech Republic's forthcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Slovakia and Cyprus.

The 25-year-old underwent a scan at Chelsea's Cobham training ground today and a small tear was revealed.

Cech suffered the injury in Tuesday's Champions League draw with Schalke 04 and was replaced by Carlo Cudicini.

Having left the Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen on crutches fears were raised that Cech could require surgery.

"I don't know exactly how it happened," said Cech. "I only know that I felt a pain from the 10th minute of the match.

"Nevertheless I played the first half. I feel bad that I will be out right now when myself as well as my team are both doing well."

Chelsea's club doctor Bryan English added: "It's still early but it's almost certain he will miss the game this weekend."

"We will also be liaising with the Czech FA's medical department about Petr's injury. Hopefully the international break will allow time for the injury to improve."

Cech's absence comes at a bad time for Chelsea manager Avram Grant, who is already without defenders John Terry, Paulo Ferreira and Ashley Cole.

Last season the Blues suffered a poor run of form when both Cech and Terry were out injured simultaneously and Grant will be keen for his goalkeeper to make a hasty return.

Cech, who missed 24 games last term with a fractured skull, has kept clean sheets in each of Chelsea's last six league and European games, conceding only one goal in eight.

Essien: We miss Terry

Michael Essien feels Chelsea are missing captain John Terry, despite five clean sheets in the last six games.

Terry has sat out the club's past six matches in all competitions with a knee injury, but hopes to return to the side by the end of the month.

During the centre half's absence, Chelsea's defence has only been breached in the 4-3 Carling Cup win over Leicester City last week.

But while Essien believes The Blues are 'coping' without their captain, the midfield powerhouse is keen for Terry to make a swift return.

"We miss him a little bit," Essien told Sky Sports News. "He's one of the pillars at the back.

"If we can get him back quickly it would be good.

"At the moment we are coping very good and playing some good football, so it's good."

Essien is also happy with the progress the club have been making since Avram Grant replaced Jose Mourinho as manager at Stamford Bridge.

The Ghanaian added: "So far, so good. We hope to achieve something this year."

Sorry Scouse, but I'm afraid that will be out of the question! :o

Chelsea v Everton

Stamford Bridge

Sunday, 11 November

Kick-off: 1400 GMT

BBC coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day. Featured game on Score and Final Score.

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole has recovered from an ankle injury and rejoins the squad, but captain John Terry is sidelined for two more weeks.

Goalkeeper Petr Cech will be out for three weeks with a calf injury while Paulo Ferreira (ankle) is still out.

Everton have injury problems, with Mikel Arteta (groin), Leighton Baines (ankle), James Vaughan (thigh) and Alan Stubbs (hamstring) all doubtful.

Andrew Johnson is still not ready to return from an ankle injury.

Chelsea boss Avram Grant:

"John Terry likes to train and to play every day, 24 hours a day, but he knows his situation. He is not fit at the moment.

"In two weeks he will be fit and we need to take care of him because he always risks his body for Chelsea and for the national team.

"He has had a lot of injuries. This will be the last, I hope."

Everton manager David Moyes:

"We have had a lot of games, done very well and we intend to try to do the same at Chelsea.

"We are confident, but then so must Chelsea be. They have a fantastic home record and a new manager who seems to have got them playing as well as ever.

"They must think they can win the Premier League again, and that makes them very difficult animals to handle."

Chelsea (from): Cudicini, Hilario, Belletti, Obi, Alex, Carvalho, A Cole, Bridge, Essien, Makelele, Lampard, J Cole, Malouda, Wright-Phillips, Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Kalou, Ben-Haim, Sidwell.

Everton (from): Howard, Hibbert, Yobo, Lescott, Stubbs, Valente, Baines, Arteta, Carsley, Osman, Gravesen, Jagielka, Cahill, Neville, Pienaar, Yakubu, Anichebe, McFadden, Wessels.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea have won eight of 11 league and cup games under Avram Grant, and are looking to extend the longest current winning streak in the Premier League to five.

Everton travel with confidence high after Thursday's 0-2 away win over Nurnberg in the Uefa Cup, and eager to complete three consecutive Premier League victories, for the first time since January 2006.

The Londoners have not conceded a goal in seven and a half hours of league soccer, and are looking to extend their amazing unbeaten home Premier League run to 69 matches.

Each of these clubs have scored 18 league goals this season, by a combined total of 21 different players.

Chelsea are pursuing their 50th league win over Everton.

CLUB FORM

CHELSEA

(all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Won eight and drawn two of the last 10 in all competitions, since losing 2-0, away to Manchester United on Avram Grant's debut as manager on 23 September.

2. Gained 13 points from a possible 15 since the loss at Old Trafford.

3. Averaging two points per game.

4. Kept seven Premier League clean sheets; no club can beat that although Manchester United match it.

5. Gone on to win all five league matches in which they've opening the scoring, and the only club not to have dropped a single Premier League point from a winning position this term.

6. Completed 450 minutes (seven hours 30 minutes), since conceding Louis Saha's stoppage time penalty in Manchester United's 2-0 home win on 23 September.

7. One of six clubs still holding an unbeaten home record in the Premier Division.

8. Not lost a league game at the Bridge since the 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 51, drawn 17).

9. Scheduled to play three bottom-half clubs (away to Derby, and home to West Ham and Sunderland) before visiting Arsenal on 16 December.

EVERTON

1. Won their last five in all competitions.

2. Won the last two Premier League fixtures; 0-2, away to Derby, and 3-1, home to Birmingham.

3. Chasing their best run since notching four Premier League victories on the spin between 31 December 2005 and 21 January 2006, against Sunderland (a), Charlton (h), Portsmouth (a) and Arsenal (h).

4. One of three clubs with one Premier League draw. The others are Manchester City and Reading.

5. Should this match finish all square, it would be their 1,000th draw in top-flight football and take the clubs' points total under David Moyes to 300.

6. Completed 25 Premier League matches without a goalless draw; the most recent being away to Liverpool on 3 February.

7. Picked up fewer cards in Premier League competition than any other side; 12 (10 yellows, two reds).

8. Suffered more defeats than any other club in the top half of the table (five).

9. Scored four Premier League goals in stoppage time; more than any other club.

10. Lost one of their last seven Premier League matches against London opposition; 1-0, home to West Ham on 21 April.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA is looking to score for the fourth successive time in a Premier League match against Everton.

Frank LAMPARD is Chelsea's leading scorer this season, with seven goals.

LAMPARD and DROGBA are the clubs top marksmen in the Premier League, with four each.

LAMPARD is a hat-trick shy of 100 goals for Chelsea.

Goalkeeper Petr CECH is the only player who has been on the field for every minute of every one of Chelsea's Premier League matches this season.

CECH leads the challenge for the Barclays Golden Glove, having kept seven clean sheets in the Premier League so far.

EVERTON

Jolean LESCOTT is Everton's top scorer with five goals - all but one being headers.

LESCOTT and YAKUBU are the clubs' leading marksmen in the Premier League, with three each.

James McFADDEN is now just one shy of 50 club career goals.

Tony HIBBERT will be making his 150th Premier League appearance for Everton.

If on the field from the outset:-

Lee CARSLEY will be making his 150th start in an Everton shirt.

YAKUBU will be making his 150th career Premier League start (Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Everton).

HEAD TO HEAD

Chelsea ended last season with a 1-1 draw with Everton to take their unbeaten home league run to 63 matches, and so match the then record, held by Liverpool.

Everton have not beaten Chelsea in 16 matches in all competitions, and have not recorded a league victory at Stamford Bridge since 26 November 1994, when Paul Rideout scored the only goal of the game.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Chelsea 49 wins, Everton 45, Draws 42

Prem: Chelsea 15 wins, Everton 4, Draws 11

at Chelsea only

League (inc PL): Chelsea 35 wins, Everton 12, Draws 21

Prem: Chelsea 9 wins, Everton 1, Draws 5

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Chelsea 1-1 Everton

13 May 2007 - Ref: Mark Halsey

Chelsea scorer: Drogba 57

Everton scorer: Vaughan 50

REFEREE