Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Any chances of dropping 2 points against the bluesh#te Seapok please :D:D:D !!!!!!.

Forget what I was saying earlier Scouse, of course we can drop 2 points for you! especially as you support one of our favourite northern brothers! :o

Yet another fine display by the idiot Belletti, what is it with our right backs??? :o

Chelsea 1-1 Everton

Tim Cahill's overhead kick snatched a point for Everton after Didier Drogba looked to have won it for Chelsea.

The visitors competed well early on and Steven Pienaar missed an opportunity when Leon Osman headed across goal.

But Tim Howard superbly kept out a Frank Lampard shot and Drogba wasted a glorious chance just before the break.

Alex had a shot cleared off the line by Tony Hibbert before Drogba headed in Salomon Kalou's corner, only for Cahill to stun the hosts in spectacular style.

It ended Chelsea's run of four straight Premier League wins but was no more than Everton deserved after a battling display.

They went into the game on the back of five victories in all competitions and were comfortable in the early stages, defending stoutly and maintaining decent possession, while trying to break in good numbers.

And so successful were they in their endeavours, they should have gone ahead in the 15th minute.

Pienaar found himself free in the six-yard box when Osman headed Yakubu's cross from the left flank back across goal, but the South African completely missed with his kick.

Chelsea gradually took charge, however, and should have been a goal up by the interval.

Their full-backs had been the likeliest source of opportunities and Howard magnificently palmed away a Lampard side-footed effort after Juliano Belletti had surged down the right and played the ball into him in the area.

Then Drogba, of all people, missed as easy a chance as he is likely to get at this level.

Left-back Wayne Bridge found Shaun Wright Phillips, who crossed to the big striker in acres of space with only Howard to beat, but the Ivorian somehow missed the ball completely.

Everton boss David Moyes had seen enough and replaced Phil Neville and Yakubu with strikers Victor Anichebe and James McFadden.

It was Chelsea who exerted pressure in the first 10 minutes of the second half, though, with Lampard at the heart of their attacking moves.

Everton were not content just to sit back and soak up the pressure - and in Anichebe they had a genuine physical presence at the other end.

Indeed, the home fans were starting to grow frustrated until Lampard's curling long-range effort was tipped over by Howard.

From the resulting corner, Howard punched the ball to Alex, whose shot was expertly cleared by Hibbert.

Having worked so hard to keep out Chelsea, the visitors will be disappointed by the ease with which Drogba escaped his marker at the near post to glance his header past Howard and Hibbert.

But Everton battled away right to the end and were rewarded a minute from time when the impressive McFadden's shot was blocked and Cahill acrobatically pounced as Belletti hesitated.

Chelsea face Carvalho injury fear

Defender Ricardo Carvalho has become the latest player to join Chelsea's growing injury list and will have a scan on a back problem on Monday.

The 29-year-old Portugal international came off during the first half of Chelsea's 1-1 Premier League draw with Everton at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

First-choice Blues keeper Peter Cech and defenders John Terry and Paulo Ferreira are already on the sidelines.

However, England left-back Ashley Cole is fit after an ankle problem.

After Sunday's match, which leaves Chelsea five points behind Premier League leaders Manchester United, Grant conceded: "We have too many injuries.

"It is not easy to play without all the back four and goalkeeper from the last few months.

"This is the reason we have a big squad but it is unusual."

Cech: Title race wide open

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech does not believe the Premier League title race will become any clearer until January.

The Blues started the season slowly and many doubted whether they would be able to challenge for the top spot following the departure of Jose Mourinho.

They remain five points adrift of Arsenal and Manchester United but have impressed in recent weeks, and Cech feels things could change dramatically over the Christmas period.

"We are definitely going to make it complicated (for Arsenal and Manchester United)," he told fotbal.idnes.cz.

"The most important period of time is going to be the Christmas time again when a lot of matches are played and mostly this is when a lot gets decided."

Avram Grant has earned praise for keeping Chelsea in touch with their rivals and Cech admits it has been a difficult time for both the players and the new manager.

Asked how the players get on with Grant, Cech replied: "It is hard to judge that after such a short period. The leave-taking with Jose Mourinho was very emotional for some players."

While he insists he is settled at Chelsea, Cech concedes that it would be difficult to turn down an offer from Barcelona.

"So far I have been very happy at Chelsea and I have started to love the Premier League," he said.

"In case Barcelona showed interest, yes, certainly it would be worth considering."

Cech has had to wear protective headgear since suffering a fracture to the skull in a collision with Reading's Stephen Hunt early last season.

And he added: "I will be wearing it at least until the end of this season and then discussing it with doctors.

"Nevertheless, it rather seems that I will be wearing it for the next few years."

Chelsea prioritise Europe

Peter Kenyon believes Chelsea will only establish themselves as a European giant if they win the UEFA Champions League.

Chelsea's spending power may be the envy of some of the world's biggest clubs but a lack of European silverware has not been lost on their chief executive.

The West London club have never hid their desire to land Europe's premier trophy but Kenyon insists there will be no added pressure to deliver it this season.

Kenyon accepts that this term has been severely interrupted by the departure of Jose Mourinho and he is willing to concede that Avram Grant will need time to stamp his own mark on Stamford Bridge.

"I think you get to the stage where if you look at the really big names in football, they are there because they have won the European Cup," Kenyon told the Big Interview on

"While they have all been very successful in their domestic leagues, winning that European Cup takes you to another level. That is obviously an objective of Chelsea.

"We're not ashamed about that, and we're not saying it has to be this season otherwise we sack everybody.

"We're saying we are building a team, building facilities, and building the profile of the club to achieve that level of success."

Kenyon went on to express his delight at how Grant has settled into the task of filling the considerable void left by Mourinho's departure.

He added: "If you look at six trophies in three years, where we came from to where we got to, and the whole character around Jose then that was a huge act to follow.

"But I think you have got to give him (Avram) the credit for seven wins in a row with some big wins in there such as Valencia away and Man City.

"With a different style being introduced, it has been a big period for us and we are certainly happy and we hope some of the initial critics are becoming more happy."

Carvalho faces two-month absence

Chelsea's Portuguese defender Ricardo Carvalho could be out for up to eight weeks after injuring his back in Sunday's 1-1 home draw with Everton.

Portugal national team doctor Henrique Jones examined the injury and instantly ruled him out of their Euro 2008 qualifiers with Armenia and Finland.

"It was not serious but he should rest for at least eight weeks," he said.

If confirmed, it will be another blow for Chelsea who already have Petr Cech, John Terry and Paulo Ferreira injured.

One grain of consolation is England left-back Ashley Cole's return to fitness after an ankle problem.

After Sunday's draw at Stamford Bridge, which leaves Chelsea five points behind Premier League leaders Arsenal, Grant conceded: "We have too many injuries.

"It is not easy to play without all the back four and goalkeeper from the last few months.

"This is the reason we have a big squad but it is unusual."

Grant reveals unhappy Blues

Chelsea coach Avram Grant has had to reassure two of his players since he took over from Jose Mourinho - but neither of them is Didier Drogba.

The Ivory Coast striker appeared to be unsettled in the early days of Grant's tenure, but the Israeli boss reports he has no qualms with Drogba.

With Chelsea currently fourth in the Premier League, five points off the pace being set by Arsenal and Manchester United, Grant is growing in stature following former boss Mourinho's surprise departure in September.

He does however admit that there has been growing pains with some members of the squad he inherited.

He told The Sun, "Didier behaves very well and gives 100% every game. I am happy with him.

"Sometimes players come to me and say they are unhappy. Two have done this, but it doesn't matter who."

Cech insistent over future

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech has reaffirmed his commitment to the club in the wake of reports suggesting he was keen on a move to Barcelona.

The 25-year-old, who is less than two years into a four-year contract at Stamford Bridge, was quoted by several newspapers admitting it "would be worth considering" a switch to the Catalan giants.

But the Czech international has moved to clarify his position and insists his words were taken out of context.

"There are a few stories that have appeared in the press quoting me that I was interested in moving in Barcelona," Cech said.

"These were taken from an interview I gave back in 2003 when I was at Rennes.

"I am very happy at Chelsea and this is where I see my future."

Cole hails Grant factor

Joe Cole admits he is loving life under Avram Grant having been installed as Chelsea's creative epicentre.

The England schemer thrived at Stamford Bridge under Jose Mourinho's tutelage but the Portuguese always insisted his more precocious gifts were made to work within a team framework.

Although he finally won over the 'Special One' with regards his own special talent, he often found himself alongside his coach on the bench.

Under Grant, though, he has thrived in starting nine of the 12 games since his appointment and his performances have in the large been sparkling.

And he credits this to the licence his Israeli tactician has given him to play an expansive game.

"A new manager has come in with new ideas, new coaches and a new way of playing and I'm really enjoying it," he told the Sunday Mirror.

"It takes time to adapt but I've tried to take on board everything he's said to me. He wants me to play in a different style and he wants the team to play a more expansive game of football.

"He wants to get more out of the wingers. There's a lot more to come from me. I still have to get into top gear this season, though. I'm just simmering."

Chelsea keen on Croatia star

Croatia playmaker Luka Modric is heading to Chelsea in the summer, according to his club Dinamo Zagreb.

There has never been any doubt about the pint-sized schemer's talent but his diminutive frame is thought to have put off a number of Europe's bigger clubs.

Modric has impressed for both Zagreb and his country over the past few years, but as yet no big-money offer has sufficiently tempted Dinamo to sell.

However, it has now been reported that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has started negotiations for his signature, with speculation suggesting Dinamo's vice-president Zdravko Mamic visited England this week.

And now a member of the club's management committee, Tomislav Marcinko, has confirmed Abramovich is vying for their prized asset.

"Abramovich is ready to pay for every one of Modric's kilos," he told the Observer.

Modric will be handed opportunity to prove he has the physical attributes to handle the demands of English football, when he travels with the rest of Croatia's squad for Wednesday's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier at Wembley.

Makelele contemplates future

Claude Makelele has expressed his thoughts on his long-term future for Chelsea and France.

The 34-year-old admits that Euro 2008 is likely to be his final major tournament for his country, while he will strongly consider whether to extend his Chelsea stay after next summer's finals.

France secured qualification to Austria and Switzerland courtesy of Italy's victory over Scotland, and the midfielder is keen to represent his homeland one last time.

Meanwhile, Makelele's current Blues deal is set to expire in 2009 and he admits he will be forced to review his options next summer.

"Now we are qualified I hope I will be part of the group," he told L'Equipe.

"I have to perform well this season for my club, and then be fresh and without injury for Euro 2008.

"It will be my last competition with Les Bleus.

"I have reached a point where playing is just a bonus rather than anything else."

On Chelsea, he said: "Will I go on after my contract in 2009? I don't know. It will depend on my desire and my physical condition.

"I will go on as long as I can. I will first take stock after Euro 2008."

Makelele reveals Blues deal

Claude Makelele has admitted a shock agreement with Chelsea boss Avram Grant which sees him only play in the Blues' important games.

The French midfielder has been a regular in the Chelsea side since joining from Real Madrid in 2003 in a £16.6million move.

However, Makelele - who is under contract at Stamford Bridge until 2009 - has played only four Premier League games this season.

And the 34-year-old has revealed his deal with Grant, which is planned to maintain his fitness.

"I have an agreement with my club coach," Makelele told L'Equipe. "He knows how I manage my games and we have a well stocked squad.

"He needs me in our very important matches, but he rotates the squad for the easier fixtures.

"That suits me fine. I can have a rest and it is perfect for me."

Chelsea's next game is the Premier League match is away to Derby on Saturday.

Happy hols, Tal - in Clacton!

TAL BEN-HAIM may be in for a bigger surprise than he thought when he picks up his holiday tickets from Joe Cole.

Cole promised his Chelsea team-mate a break for him and the missus if Israel got a result against Russia.

Ben-Haim duly delivered — and now Cole is ready to do the same.

He joked yesterday: “I’ve got him a few brochures for Clacton-on-Sea. He’ll have a great time!

“Seriously, though, I’m a man of my word. It started as a joke and he’ll probably say I don’t have to do it. But I’ll send him and his wife somewhere nice, even if I’m sure we can cut a few corners . . . ”

That is something England can definitely not afford when they meet Croatia tomorrow night.

Last Saturday’s results have granted Steve McClaren’s side an unexpected Euro 2008 reprieve and Cole vowed they would not let it slip.

A draw would be good enough to take England through to next summer’s finals but the Chelsea midfielder insisted they will play for a win.

Cole said: “Whether we play 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, it’ll be to go out with good intentions to win this match.

“It’s a dangerous, dangerous game, as Croatia have nothing to play for.

“Their players are very good technically and will want to come and express themselves at Wembley. So we’ve the game of our lives here, meaning we do have to play well.

“They’ve already qualified, so it could go either way. We can’t concentrate on them, though, we have to concentrate on ourselves.

“We have to play well and win the game. This isn’t a game where we can go in and think we can sneak it and not play well.

“Each and every one of us has to be seven or eight out of 10 at least and really go and perform.”

The formation is something McClaren is mulling over, yet it seems almost certain that Cole, 26, will retain his place in the line-up.

He admitted his form has not been outstanding of late but he is his own worst critic.

As one of the most gifted players of his generation, more is often expected of him.

Whatever the shape of the team, Cole is ready to give everything to ensure England are at the party in Austria and Switzerland.

He added: “We don’t mind how we do it. We want to qualify, that’s the job.

It has been an up and down kind of qualification. But in the last three games at Wembley we’ve won 3-0, against Israel, Russia and Estonia.

“All were really good performances. You can’t win 3-0 every game but we need to keep that level.

“From the back end of last season and the Brazil and Estonia games, we’ve found a style of play that has suited us.

“There’s a belief there. Apart from 10 minutes in Russia, when we didn’t play well, we’ve performed for the last 10 games. We want to keep that going.

“All I can do is just go out there and try to do my best. You don’t look over your shoulder, though it’s great for the manager to have different players to come in and give him options.

“I’m doing all right. I could do better. I’m not at the top of my game but I’m doing enough to keep my place in the side.

“Yet I always think I could do more. I’m my own worst critic. I want to keep on playing well and add a few more things to my game.

“I’m not far from my peak form. I wouldn’t be holding down my place for Chelsea and England if I wasn’t playing well and performing.

“I simply want to be better all the time and to improve. I’m looking to put in a good performance on Wednesday night and help us win.”

Such a result would guarantee he will not be taking his holidays for a bit longer next summer. But Cole never doubted he should save his cash and spend it on sending Ben- Haim away instead.

He admitted: “You know that the worst can happen sometimes but you always have to try to be positive.

"I didn’t book anything up for myself. I tried to block out all those thoughts.

“I certainly would not have booked my holidays until the worst happened.

“Besides, I don’t like losing a few quid. And they don’t give you your money back, do they?”

Derby v Chelsea

Pride Park

Saturday, 24 November

Kick-off:1715 GMT

BBC coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day.

Derby have been given a boost after defenders Claude Davis and Dean Leacock were both passed fit to play.

Striker Kenny Miller is also fit after a hamstring problem but defender Andy Todd is out with a back injury.

Chelsea have a number of injury concerns, including keeper Petr Cech, while Paulo Ferreira (knee) and Michael Ballack (ankle) are definitely out.

Ricardo Carvalho (back) is also sidelined but Ashley Cole and John Terry could both return.

Derby (from): Bywater, Mears, Davis, Moore, McEveley, Griffin, Leacock, Barnes, Oakley, Pearson, Lewis, Fagan, Howard, Miller, Teale, Earnshaw, Lewis, Jones.

Chelsea (from): Cudicini, Hilario, Cech, Belletti, A Cole, Alex, Ben-Haim, Bridge, J Cole, Lampard, Essien, Sidwell, Kalou, Malouda, Shevchenko, Wright-Phillips, Drogba, Obi, Pizarro, Makelele.

Derby manager Billy Davies:

"The game is a huge task against a multi-million pound side with lots of top players.

"But we are in the Premier League and we've got to look forward to these games and hopefully we can put on a good performance on the day and compete as well as we can."

"This weekend is different as we will have most of our players back in."

Chelsea manager Avram Grant:

"The international break for a team like Chelsea is always not good, because we are missing all our players, apart from one or two.

"But we have a game Saturday and we really want to win.

"The players are professional. I like sensitive players - but only until the game starts. Life goes on."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea go to Derby eying a place in the top three; the Rams know they cannot escape the bottom three, even with three points.

Derby have lost their last three Premier League matches; Chelsea have won their last three on the road.

Chelsea have won four of the seven Premier League matches under Avram Grant; Billy Davies has seen his beleaguered side win once in 13.

The Rams have the weakest attack and most porous defence in the highest league. They've not scored in five, and have conceded more Premier League goals to Chelsea than to any other club in their history (30).

CLUB FORM

DERBY COUNTY

1. Only beaten Newcastle so far; 1-0, at home on 17 September.

2. Lost more Premier League matches than any other club, with the exception of Wigan. Both have been beaten on nine occasions.

3. One of two clubs with just one Premier League win; the other is Bolton.

4. Gained two points from the last 21, and lost the last three against Everton (h), Aston Villa (a) and West Ham (h).

5. Completed 521 minutes (eight hours 41 minutes) of league soccer since Kenny Miller's goal in the 1-1 draw, home to Bolton on 29 September. It is 849 minutes (14 hours nine minutes) since a Derby player other than Miller scored in the Premier League; that being Matthew Oakley, against Birmingham on 25 August.

6. Own the weakest attack in English league football with just five goals scored in 13 outings, at one every 234 minutes (three hours 54 minutes) on average. Failed to score in nine of their 13 Premier League matches - more than any other club.

7. Possess the poorest defence in the Premier League; conceded 31 goals in 13, at one every 38 minutes on average.

8. On the longest current run in the Premier League of 12 matches, since scoring more than a single goal in a game; 2-2, home to Portsmouth on the opening day, 11 August.

9. Own the worst goal difference in the Premier League of -26.

10. This match precedes back-to-back visits to Sunderland and Manchester United.

CHELSEA

1. Not lost in 11; won eight and drawn three league and cup matches.

2. Lost one of 12 in all competitions under Avram Grant.

3. Unbeaten in six Premier League matches; won four and drawn two since losing 2-0, away to Manchester United on 23 September.

4. Kept five clean sheets in six league outings.

5. The current tally of 25 points after 13 games is their worst return since 23 points were accrued to this point in 2002-03, when finishing fourth.

6. Yet to lose to a lower half club; won five and drawn one of their six fixtures against sides in the bottom 10 of the table.

7. Beaten Bolton, Middlesbrough and Wigan in their last three league games on the road.

8. Only returned from Aston Villla and Manchester United without any points.

9. This match precedes the Champions League Group B tie, away to Rosenborg on Wednesday, and a home London derby clash with West Ham next Saturday.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

DERBY COUNTY

Own the shortest goal scorers list in the Premier League; just three players.

Matthew OAKLEY and Kenny MILLER are Derby's joint top scorers with two each of the Rams' five Premier League goals.

Goalkeeper Stephen BYWATER and defender Stephen PEARSON are the only remaining players to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Derby's Premier League matches this season.

If on the field from the outset:-

OAKLEY will be making his 50th league start for the Pride Park club.

Giles BARNES will be making his 50th league start - all in Derby colours.

Darren MOORE will be making his 50th league start for the Rams.

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA and Frank LAMPARD are Chelsea's joint top scorers with seven goals a piece.

DROGBA is the clubs top marksman in the Premier League, with five.

LAMPARD is a hat-trick shy of 100 goals for Chelsea.

DROGBA is a hat-trick short of 50 Premier League goals in Chelsea colours.

Petr CECH leads the race for the Barclays Golden Glove, jointly with Liverpool's Jose REINA. Both have kept seven clean sheets.

HEAD TO HEAD

Derby have only registered one win in five home Premier League matches against Chelsea; 3-1 on 30 October 1999 when Rory Delap scored a brace and Deon Burton got the other.

Chelsea hold a 100% home Premier League record against the Rams, and travel to the Midlands in search of their third victory in this league on Derby turf, following their successes in 1998 and 2001.

Derby have won twice as many home league matches against Chelsea, than they have lost (won 24, lost 12).

Home and away

League (inc PL): Derby 35 wins, Chelsea 32, Draws 25

Prem: Derby 2 wins, Chelsea 8, Draws 2

at Derby only

League (inc PL): Derby 24 wins, Chelsea 12, Draws 10

Prem: Derby 2 wins, Chelsea 2, Draws 2

REFEREE

Andre Marriner (West Midlands)

Seapok , is Cech still injured ???????

Yeah I'm afraid he still is mate, he pulled a calf muscle against Schalke but at least we do have the second best keeper in the premiership in reserve.

Your boys looked good today, although they were playing a very poor Newcastle.

Seapok , is Cech still injured ???????

Yeah I'm afraid he still is mate, he pulled a calf muscle against Schalke but at least we do have the second best keeper in the premiership in reserve.

Your boys looked good today, although they were playing a very poor Newcastle.

Pepe Reina ????? , he is the only keeper in the premiership who is in the same league as Cech :o .

Derby 0-2 Chelsea

Chelsea moved into fourth place in the Premier League with a comfortable win over struggling Derby County, but saw Michael Essien sent off late on.

They took the lead after 17 minutes when Salomon Kalou finished calmly from Steve Sidwell's through ball.

Chelsea wrapped up the win after 73 minutes, Shaun-Wright Phillips scoring after Frank Lampard had hit a post.

Essien got a red card in injury time for raising an arm to Derby striker Kenny Miller in a touchline challenge.

The first 45 was largely uneventful, except for the constant loud jeering of Chelsea's England players.

Lampard and Wright-Phillips were singled out, as were John Terry and Ashley Cole, who did not even figure in the defeat against Croatia that meant England did not qualify for Euro 2008.

Chelsea took the lead early on with a goal of stunning simplicity, Sidwell threading the ball through for Kalou to race clear and beat Stephen Bywater with ease.

Derby were not short on effort, but they are desperately lacking in quality and Chelsea goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini had the easiest of times as Billy Davies' side toiled.

The home side needed to produce something better after the interval, and they at least carried a greater threat.

Giles Barnes fed Craig Fagan in the 47th minute but he shot wastefully across goal, and he then saw a shot blocked by Cudicini as Chelsea were put under pressure at last.

Chelsea doubled their lead with 17 minutes left, but it was not without a hint of controversy.

Derby appealed for a foul after Andriy Shevchenko left Barnes injured in the build-up following a challenge from behind, but referee Andre Marriner allowed play to continue.

Lampard drove into the area and shot against the post, the rebound falling kindly for Wright-Phillips to provide a simple finish.

Derby's efforts were summed up when striker Steve Howard missed a simple chance after 82 minutes, heading wide from Miller's cross.

Miller was involved again as Essien was sent off in injury time for raising his arm to the Scot in a touchline challenge.

Derby: Bywater, Griffin, Davis, Moore, Leacock, McEveley, Fagan (Earnshaw 86), Oakley (Feilhaber 84), Jones, Miller, Barnes (Howard 75).

Subs Not Used: Price, Mears.

Chelsea: Cudicini, Belletti, Terry, Ben-Haim, Ashley Cole, Obi, Lampard (Pizarro 90), Sidwell (Essien 75), Wright-Phillips, Shevchenko, Kalou.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Joe Cole, Alex.

Sent Off: Essien (90).

Booked: Ashley Cole.

Goals: Kalou 17, Wright-Phillips 73.

Att: 32,789

Ref: Andre Marriner (W Midlands).

Grant - We are easy targets

Chelsea boss Avram Grant claims Chelsea are easy targets for referees following his side's 2-0 win at Derby.

The Blues chief was unhappy with Andre Marriner's decision to send off Michael Essien in stoppgage time after appearing to aim a flailing arm at Kenny Miller.

Grant felt the decision was harsh and has hinted that Chelsea will appeal the red card to Essien.

"I don't like to speak against a referee. I have not done it many times in my life and I don't want to do it now, especially as he is a first-year referee in the Premier League," bemoaned Grant.

"I don't want to say something against him but I have a feeling - and I was warned about this before I came to Chelsea and I fear it's true - that we are an easy target for getting red cards.

"It happened against Manchester United and Fulham this season and in both of those games we lost points, yet everybody saw they were not red cards, and today was the same.

"So I don't like the idea that we are an easy target. Everybody needs to think about."

Grant defended Essien and felt his offence did not merit a red card.

"I don't know if you know but with the uniform (team kit) today there are no pockets - nobody can put their hands in their pockets," added Grant.

"Sometimes when you put your hand out like this (indicating a push), I don't think it's a red card."

When asked whether he would appeal, Grant replied, "We need to see it again but basically I think we will do it.

"Again I don't want to say anything against the decision before I see it again but I am sure we are an easy target. It's not the first time."

Grant was also unhappy with the reaction of Derby fans to Chelsea's English contingent as their every touch was jeered by the home supporters following England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008.

"I didn't like it," noted Grant. "All the England players tried to do their best but it didn't work out.

"I understand the supporters are disappointed. You can feel it.

"All of the England wanted England to qualify and the players wanted it too, but now they need support."

Hmm...I see Sidwell got a game and made the first goal...shame that I was hoping we might get him back on loan in January :o

Now he'll probably get a few more starts what with Essien getting sent off

Sidwell did play yesterday and I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more of him in the next few months, Essien is going to be out for nearly two months due to suspension and the ANC, he is going to be sorely missed but Chelsea will appeal against the straight red and see if we can get it reduced to a yellow. Saying Sidwell will be playing a lot more also depends on the form and fitness of Ballack who is due back any day now.

Seapok , why didn't Drogba play last night ????

Drogba didn't play last night cos he picked up a knee injury during international duty!, seems to be happening more and more with the Chelsea boys,

we might even have a fully fit squad come February!! :o

Cole to silence Arsenal fans

England players received a heavy dose of verbal abuse at the weekend; however Ashley Cole believes he will be on the end of worse tirade when Chelsea take on Arsenal in December.

The failure to reach Euro 2008 saw fans up and down the country boo those that represented England in their 12 qualifying games.

However, Blues left-back Cole is sure that when his side travel to The Emirates on 16th December, the home fans will give him a much more hostile reception.

The 26-year-old missed last season's trip to North London through injury, but he insists that this time round he is eagerly anticipating coming up against his old club.

"Compared to what happened to the England guys, I am sure I will get much worse when I go back to Arsenal," Cole said in the Daily Mail.

"But I am used to it, and I am looking forward to the game. I want to go there and play them because I did not get to play there earlier this year.

"I will go there and front up. I am a grown man. They (the Arsenal fans) threw money at me at Stamford Bridge, and that was bad, but I get that every game. I love it.

"It would be nice to go there and shut some people up. It's going to be tough though.

"To be honest, I am really not bothered about the reception I will get, even though I know the crowd will get on my back.

"I don't think I have anything to prove to them. They know how good I was when I was with them and what I did for the club. It is not about that.

"Of course Arsenal still means something to me. I don't hate the club or the players.

"I love the club, but it has finished for me there now. I need to look at myself and Chelsea and do as well as I can and win as many things as I can here."

Seapok, what's happening about Grant and the fact that he doesn't have a coaching badge. It's all gone quiet about that lately but his time must be nearly up, was 12 weeks or something like that?

Underqualified Avram Grant forced to go a long way for little bit of learning

Avram Grant faces weekly trips to Israel to attain his coaching qualifications just as Chelsea’s season enters its busiest and most critical period.

Grant is due to be sitting in a classroom in Tel Aviv when his team will be travelling for the away legs in the Champions League knockout phase. The Barclays Premier League club must hope that Grant’s commitment to spending Mondays in Tel Aviv – from the end of January potentially through to the end of March - does not play havoc with their preparations. It is not clear whether he will be absent for matches.

Grant, who has an A-licence qualification, must attain his Uefa Pro Licence to remain as Chelsea first-team coach in the long term and, while unsatisfactory, this is believed to be the quickest way.

Chelsea were given a 12-week dispensation by the Premier League that runs until shortly before Christmas and they have to show proof that Grant is endeavouring to seek the top qualification. Manchester United will oppose any extensions, unless there is evidence that Grant plans to upgrade his existing badges.

There is huge pride in Israel that Grant replaced José Mourinho at Stamford Bridge – and that he has thrived in his first couple of months – but the Israeli FA insisted yesterday that there could be no special favours for the former national team manager when it comes to gaining the qualifications. A spokesman explained that the 90-hour course was based on Monday sessions at the Ramat Gan Stadium in Tel Aviv, where Israel beat Russia on Saturday night. Grant registered for the course while there for the game.

“He will have to do all the duties, just like any other coach,” the spokesman said. “The course takes place in an office in the national stadium and lasts approximately two months. Avram Grant will have to do everything that Uefa demands to complete the course in order to gain his licence. The course takes place on Mondays from the end of January.”

Grant, 52, may be perplexed at the need to go back to school, given that he won four championships before becoming Israel coach for four years. But there is a growing feeling at some Premier League clubs that the rules should be enforced more rigorously.

There have been dispensations previously: for Glenn Roeder on health grounds when he took over at Newcastle United, and Gareth Southgate, at Middlesbrough, who was deemed to have had restricted opportunities to gain a licence because of his international playing career. Older managers, such as Sir Alex Ferguson, were exempted because they had been in management for many years when the requirements where implemented.

The Pro Licence normally requires 240 hours of study and usually takes a year to complete. Grant may be able to do some of that work in England.

To undertake next year’s course, he may have to catch overnight flights to Tel Aviv late on a Sunday if Chelsea are playing that afternoon. If his team are in the Champions League, which resumes in mid-February, he would have to catch up with the players late on a Monday or early the next morning. Perhaps he could ask Roman Abramovich to borrow his private jet.

Avram Grant could be a busy man. If Chelsea are playing in the North on a Sunday afternoon, he will be in a rush to catch the last scheduled flight out of Heathrow at 10.30pm that night. That would get him to Tel Aviv at 5.25am on the Monday morning in time for a change, a shower and off to the classroom.

Life will be more leisurely if Chelsea play on a Saturday. But if they are playing on a Tuesday in the Champions League, Grant will be required to miss training the day before the game and also the Uefa press conference.