Justice Minister assures Section 44 will not be used against Dhammachayo

rooster59

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4FqsmY3I3PpNVeE5AysBkbyy

BANGKOK: Justice Minister Paiboon Kumchaya assured today that no special powers under Section 44 of the Interim Constitution would be invoked to deal with Phra Dhammachayo who has so far refused to turn himself in to acknowledge the charges against him.

He said that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has expressed concern about the matter and instructed parties concerned to treat the case as a normal case and refrain from escalating the case which may spiral out of control.

As for the search warrant to be sought from the court by the DSI, the justice minister said that the DSI must have enough evidences to justify the request for the warrant. However, he noted that search warrant is a normal procedure.

General Paiboon said he had instructed the DSI to coordinate with the Sangha Council for consultation on how the case should be treated and also for help. He added that he believes the council will not just sit idly by and do nothing about the controversy.

Asked about the deployment of a backhoe to block an entrance to Wat Dhammakaya early Friday morning, the justice minister said that the incident was an indication of what may happen from some elements.

He insisted that authorities concerned had followed the letters of the law in dealing with Phra Dhammachayo and had not employed double-standard practice.

He asked members of the public to judge by themselves whether they would like someone to flout with the law and manipulate people in defiance of the law.

Meanwhile, the DSI has meted out a five-step measure to deal with the embattled abbot. The steps include arrest Phra Dhammachayo on sight by police or local administration officials; making clarifications to all Buddhist organisations from the Sangha Council; legal actions people who provide sanctuary to the monk and to settle the case within 2-3 weeks.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165103

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-28

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has expressed concern about the matter and instructed parties concerned to treat the case as a normal case

So, let it drag on until another story comes along and knocks it off the front page, and then do nothing for years until it's all but forgotten?

Forget Art 44 as nothing, even the basic rule of law is being used.

No double standards though as the letters of the law were followed and letters being the operative word.

Dear Sir, when you have some spare time, and only if it suits, would you possible consider coming in for interview about a major crime ? Pretty please !

Starting at the top the govt and various agencies have dug a hole for themselves and to save face over a totally inept response will keep digging to save face.

Steal a few coconuts, go straight to jail. Steal a few trillion baht: Come and see the police at your leisure, but only after you have made a few big donations to relevant department heads.

Thailand, where mafias have learned to work in harmony.

Steal a few coconuts, go straight to jail. Steal a few trillion baht: Come and see the police at your leisure, but only after you have made a few big donations to relevant department heads.

Thailand, where mafias have learned to work in harmony.

Thats because the coconuts are in charge and running the country. They dont like their friends and relatives being stolen.

Section 44 should now be invoked as the good Monk has not presented himself, and one can't help but remind this Junta administration that if you can invoke section 44 against a poor flower seller you can also do it to a Monk..........................................coffee1.gif .

Section 44 should now be invoked as the good Monk has not presented himself, and one can't help but remind this Junta administration that if you can invoke section 44 against a poor flower seller you can also do it to a Monk..........................................coffee1.gif .

They won't be afraid of a flower-seller putting a curse on them. Or making them come back as monkeys in the next life.

Thai culture and belief systems... ain't they wunnerful?

W

''He asked members of the public to judge by themselves whether they would like someone to flout with the law and manipulate people in defiance of the law.''

What the fukc does this mean??? The answer is ''NO'' right, which is why we'd like you to pull your thumb out your ass and go arrest the guy. Or am I missing something here. :unsure:

Prayut has implicitly given Paiboon permisson to shutdown DSI's arrest efforts.

In turn now Paiboon questions the legitimacy of DSI's search warrant (but not the arrest warrant).

And Paiboon now condones the wat as a sanctuary for law enforcement arrests, at elast with regard to monks.

This whole episode (in additiona to many other law enforcement failures during Prayut's regime) has to embarrass those who favored the junta's promises to reform of justice and promote equality in the judisil system. It is again it seems the junta has returned Thailand back to a feudal system of justice.

Section 44 is a tool of intimidation.

Intimidation rarely works very well on those who are unafraid....and the little monk obviously has no fear of the authorities.

An attempt to '44' this would, in all likelihood, result in a humiliating failure and horribly unspeakable loss of face for the government.

Their hands are pretty much tied on this one.

Edited by Hayduke

''He asked members of the public to judge by themselves whether they would like someone to flout with the law and manipulate people in defiance of the law.''

What the fukc does this mean??? The answer is ''NO'' right, which is why we'd like you to pull your thumb out your ass and go arrest the guy. Or am I missing something here. :unsure:

This is the PM's amazing style of leadership. He's great at telling the average Joe how to live their life, but when in it comes to anyone or anything important, he either goes silent or asks silly rhetorical questions. He avoids actually dealing with real issues by ignoring them.

A rhetorical question in my culture is a question that doesn't require an answer. In Thai culture it's usually a childish reply from someone who will never admit they don't know.

Nothing will be used against Dhammachayo.

The Ballad of Brave Sir (Robin) Justice Minister:

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.

He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin!

He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,

Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,

Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken;

To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away;

And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out

And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged

And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off

And his peni---

Brave Sir Robin ran away.

Bravely ran away, away!

When danger reared its ugly head,

He bravely turned his tail and fled.

Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about

And gallantly he chickened out.

Bravely taking to his feet

He beat a very brave retreat,

Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin

He is packing it in and packing it up

And sneaking away and buggering up

And chickening out and pissing off home,

Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge...

"...instructed the DSI to coordinate with the Sangha Council for consultation on how the case should be treated and also for help." I think Muslims have nothing to fear about Buddhism being national religion. Seems it already is. I am a Buddhist, which is more than I can say for the wannabe Abbot. If ever there was a reason to dip into Article 44 to fight corruption, this is it. Naturally, this isn't being done. Paper tigers demonstrating more akin to schoolyard bullies than actual leaders having a pair.

I'm not sure Mr Paiboon is in a position to decide anyway. Because:

1. Section 44 (as I understand it) is the prerogative of the PM, not the Justice (ha!) minister.

2. His comments about the Rajabhakti Park corruption investigation did not endear him to messrs Prayuth, Prawit and the other guy (can't remember his name - the army wallah everyone thought pocketed at least some of the corruption cash, another unusually rich army type).

Were Paiboon not a brother officer, I suspect he would already have his marching orders.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

What the fukc does this mean??? The answer is ''NO'' right, which is why we'd like you to pull your thumb out your ass and go arrest the guy. Or am I missing something here. unsure.png

"the justice minister said that the DSI must have enough evidences to justify the request for the warrant" (maybe second thoughts after secret nicknames that the proven and admitted embezzler suddenly revealed he and the co-accused had for each other was sensationalized, like it might be all they really have to prove knowledge and intent of the abbot and could easily backfire with a half-ass lawyer.

Forget Art 44 as nothing, even the basic rule of law is being used.

No double standards though as the letters of the law were followed and letters being the operative word.

Dear Sir, when you have some spare time, and only if it suits, would you possible consider coming in for interview about a major crime ? Pretty please !

Starting at the top the govt and various agencies have dug a hole for themselves and to save face over a totally inept response will keep digging to save face.

If they keep digging they will soon hear "the voices of America". Its obvious this monk has some clout as Weapon 44 is kept in the closet on this one. I also see the monks have built barriers outside the temple entrance. Maybe the police fear that if they serve their warrant they will come back in the next life as a what are those brown things that scurry across the floor and have been around for billions of years the name escapes me. Billions of years that must be before corruption took root on the planet.

What the fukc does this mean??? The answer is ''NO'' right, which is why we'd like you to pull your thumb out your ass and go arrest the guy. Or am I missing something here. unsure.png

"the justice minister said that the DSI must have enough evidences to justify the request for the warrant" (maybe second thoughts after secret nicknames that the proven and admitted embezzler suddenly revealed he and the co-accused had for each other was sensationalized, like it might be all they really have to prove knowledge and intent of the abbot and could easily backfire with a half-ass lawyer.

They already have the arrest warrant...the warrant he refers to is a search warrant for the temple property (apparently required to arrest someone in this country :rolleyes: Possibly they nees proof that illegal activities are being conductes on premises for a search warrant...convenient isn't it. Now if the police had a warrant for my arrest I'm sure they's have no problem barging into my home.

And why not, one might ask. If ever there was a reason/need to use section 44, I would say this is it.

Oh right, I forgot. Thailand, land of double standards.

Edited by WhizBang

With regards to individuals, Section 44 is only to be used for red shirts.

Now to some dhammachayo appears a bit on the red side of orange in the color spectrum here, but on closer inspection he has quite a yellow (whistle blowing, clapper) tinge as well. Best to put a muzzle on isara, and let this one die a slow death.

Steal a few trillion baht: Come and see the police at your leisure

FWIW, Supachai embezzled ~ 11 billion baht, and he is serving a 16 year jail term (cut down from 32 years for confessing, and flipping on those he 'donated' to). With good behavior and multiple pardons from on high, he will walk in 48-ish months.

The various donation recipients - many more than just wat dhammakaya - can say they accepted the donations in good faith, and were unaware they were ill-gotten booty. Obviously, the right thing to do would make every effort to return these donations, but when does any Thai do the right thing?

Most major embezzlement schemes here fade away - maybe because of liberal disbursement of "fees" -, with the principals doing a runner, waiting out the statute of limitations, then come crawling back to Thailand. For PM Chuan Leepkai's brother (Raluek) did a runner with 235 million baht from Thai Farmers Bank back in 1987; he returned in 2004, clean as a whistle.

They won't be afraid of a flower-seller putting a curse on them. Or making them come back as monkeys in the next life.

Thai culture and belief systems... ain't they wunnerful?

W

I want to come back as a rich millionaire or maybe a junta leader as well.cheesy.gif