People appear on house book that do not live there.

I have recently returned to Thailand (reunite with wife) and find that there are some people registered on the house book that do not even live at the house.

Additionally, one of the people has registered herself at this address with the bank and the telephone Co, and who knows what else?

Any potential dangers, issues, legal concerns with this set-up or is it considered normal in Thailand?

Thais need to be registered somewhere, not necessarily at the place where they live like in most western countries. Probably your wife got some relatives and perhaps friends in the book, Just ask her, but it's nothing unusual. No harm done, they have no legal saying other than the address registered in the blue book.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the house book issue, any views on the address being used by someone with the bank, telephone Co etc?

I use my sister's place in the UK to receive some post. If you have permission from an occupant to act as a poste restante for you, I cannot see that doing so in Thailand would be any more of a problem than in the UK.

Irrespective of wether it is normal practice or not the OP being married should be entitled to know who and why individuals are being placed on the house book before the event not after,typical Thai trait to do something without telling a partner.

Edited by NongMalee
  • Like 2

The intent and purposes of the house registration book and the theoretical legal repercussions for a house master allowing the registration of persons who do not actually live at that address can probably be found in the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534, as amended. Unfortunately, I do not have an English translation of this law. If anybody has a copy of it or a link to it, kindly post it in this topic. (The Thai version is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B34mNX-szfYVLXJnNVpGT2llYTQ/view?usp=drivesdk)

P.S. Sometimes the Civil Registration Act is called the People Registration Act in English.

• Like 1

Not sure how people are registered in my wife's house book without getting it and counting them. It they were really residents of our home it would have to be a mansion.

Just normal procedure here and not a problem..

• Like 2

I am lead to believe you can have about 6-10 people on you house book its all about getting access to the entitlements of the area/country. Setting up bank accounts, cheaper medical facilities at hospitals children attending certain schools etc.

• Like 2

I am lead to believe you can have about 6-10 people on you house book its all about getting access to the entitlements of the area/country. Setting up bank accounts, cheaper medical facilities at hospitals children attending certain schools etc.

There is no limit other than the number of pages in a house book.

Those might be some of the reasons people would want to be in a particular house book. Most of the time though it is because it is their only choice.

That's what I know too.

Your right to vote for local administration is also bound to the house registration (not surprising).

They have to drive "home" even for national elections/votes.

Expect some traffic northbound on the weekend of Aug 6 / 7 whistling.gif

On the other hand it explains why a Bangkok governor is elected with a relatively "low" number of voters not representing the actual majority of inhabitants. Even more extreme for Pattaya mayor.

Edited by KhunBENQ

That's what I know too.

Your right to vote for local administration is also bound to the house registration (not surprising).

They have to drive "home" even for national elections/votes.

Expect some traffic northbound on the weekend of Aug 6 / 7 whistling.gif

On the other hand it explains why a Bangkok governor is elected with a relatively "low" number of voters not representing the actual majority of inhabitants. Even more extreme for Pattaya mayor.

My wife says their is no limit. She did a 5 year stint as village head so I trust what she tells me.

It is possible for Thais to register to vote at a location other than than where their house book registry is for. They vote on a designated day prior to the date of the election or referendum.

• Like 2

There are legal implications to people being added as living at the address for the blue book .If the people on the book are not known to you or your wife the names can and should be legally removed.

The wife would know them because she has to approve them being registered in the house book. It requires the head of household in a book to approve any registry.

It is possible for Thais to register to vote at a location other than than where their house book registry is for. They vote on a designated day prior to the date of the election or referendum.

That's interesting news to me.

So they often simply don't care I guess.

I had the same situation where I purchased a condo a few years ago. I only had the chanote for ownership and didn't bother updating the house book. I kept getting pesky debt collector letters from people who lived there many moons ago. So finally fed up I went down to the council and updated the house book as who lived there, they removed any previous names from their records. I only needed the chanote and matching ID to do this, the whole process took 1/2 hour and 30bht. The council also sends a copy of this to the police for their records.

• Like 1

Some people may not be aware they can register to vote where they are living. Other just use voting as an excuse to return home for the elections.

I can recall some of my wife's extended family registering to vote in Bangkok and did not travel to the village for the last elections.

• Like 1

They still have to vote for the candidates that is running in the district where they have their house book.

They still have to vote for the candidates that is running in the district where they have their house book.

That is why there is a registration prior to voting. When they go to vote they are given the ballot for where they are registered in a house book.

That is why there is a registration prior to voting. When they go to vote they are given the ballot for where they are registered in a house book.

Exactly!

wife votes in a place where she is not "registered" and is given a ballot for the place where she is registered. Sounds complicated but no problem for Thai people who understand their system.

Exactly!

wife votes in a place where she is not "registered" and is given a ballot for the place where she is registered. Sounds complicated but no problem for Thai people who understand their system.

Old feudal system to keep the privileged in power.

Blue House books are only issued to Property owners, although the book itself is not proof of ownership.

For that, the deeds would be required.

That therefore means millions of Thais who rent do not own a Blue book.

However for reasons of registration, voting, schooling and government medical care all Thais must be included in someone's Tabian Baan.

A house owner could therefore have relatives and friends registered in their books.

It makes life simpler if a Thai is registered in a book within the province they actually live to allow free use of local services and avoid travelling back to old Amphur districts, where they may have been previously registered.

It's perfectly normal in Thailand for Thais to accommodate each other in this respect, although it has it's flaws.

The exception to this rule of house ownership, came in the 2008 update, when foreigners were given the right to register and obtain a Yellow Tabian Baan, even though they rent properties. The Yellow book only denotes a foreigner has registered his permanent address and will usually only be issued to those holding a minimum 1 year Visa or Extension of Stay.

There are some other exceptions.

Foreigners buying Condos can own a blue book, but cannot be named in it, that is reserved for Thais only.

Foreigners with PR status married to a Thai can be added to the spouse's blue book.

• Like 2