Im impressed with NETFLIX thailand. Glad to have cut the cord

davidst01

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a minix or any other android box you don't have to just use kodi.

You can download showbox for movies and tv. Also mobdro which has many channels and all sports.

Alternatively you can pay for ilikehd, expat tv or 365sports, All very good.

The bay of pirates now offers a streaming service but I tend to download and watch later.

I'm very happy with Thai Expat TV. IMO the best at the moment.

10 day catch up and 16 channels for 500 baht a month.

Agreed. I also have the sister package (ExpatPremium) and that along with Netflix means I haver everything I want to watch OnDemand and don't have to much about with that Kodi ballache.

Netflix USA had a lot of great content that is not available here in Thailand - I am finding it limited and they just seemed to have discontinued a series I was near the end of watching!!

I am soon going to look for other options.

Get a vpn you'll need one eventually anyway here in Thailand.

Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc can all tell if you're using a VPN.

They didn't care before but now they do because content providers kicked up a stink about people watching shows in unlicensed territories.

That doesn't mean the problem is not solvable through use of a correctly configured and intelligently chosen VPN service.

Notwithstanding Netflix's recent efforts, lots of folks are still watching Netflix U.S. via VPN.

If you already have a VPN, you need to contact their tech support folks and check with them as to what servers and connection settings they offer that will still work with Netflix.

Needless to say, those services won't want to post that info on their public websites because it would be a giveaway to Netflix. But if you're a customer of theirs, they're typically willing to guide you in the right direction, or in the alternate, tell you they don't have a Netflix solution.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

If you are a Brit [or simply enjoy Brit TV] then ExpatTV provides all the 'free to air' channels at a reasonable price. Personally I see little value in the Premium option but the basic at 580 Baht a month is good and with a decent box can be HD/1080 if your TV supports that. Ten days retro is the winner for me. Even when you want 'live' with a 6/7 hours time difference you don't have to sit up into the wee small hours and can watch over breakfast before you hear the result elsewhere.

Their [ExpatTV] boxes are however overpriced and I bought the latest Minix Z64 Android box for a similar price to their older model. With the Z64 you can load most anything you want in addition to the ExpatTV software. I have Kodi Exodus for one and find that the two provide all the TV I need. Latest 2016 movies tend to be on there in HD/1080 within a few weeks of launch. And yes it is currently legal to watch; but illegal to download and store. Until the law changes it is not illegal to view via streaming and [simply hearsay] some distributors have no problem with streaming as those who do it are more likely to watch at the cinema after seeing on the small screen than they were to watch on the big screen first. Impossible to simulate at home the full experience of a movie that was created for the big screen - especially Imax.

The five best VPN's to unblock netflix https://www.bestvpn.com/best-vpn-netflix/

In this top VPNs for Netflix list, we have been sure to include VPN providers that are making it central to their mission to keep finding ways to avoid becoming blocked. So far, the firms on this list have been successful in keeping up with Netflix’s efforts to block them. Though we admit that the situation is fluid, subject to change and not at all set in stone. It is also true that most VPN providers believe they will always be able to keep finding ways to circumnavigate the VPN blocking efforts. Good news indeed.

Letter from my VPN

Netflix started blocking VPN connections our development team are working on solutions.

We suggest to try the following servers:

- Denver-2, Los Angeles-4, Portland, Kansas, Atlanta

We believe Netflix still working on those servers.

Anyone can watch Netflix USA content anywhere.

When I said Netflix and the BBC iPlayer can tell if you're using a VPN, you said

No they can't. I really don't want to get into the specifics but all of Netflix content is available in Thailand as is Kodi. All the information is online or ask your VPN.

You then produce some email that says

Netflix started blocking VPN connections our development team are working on solutions.

So you confirmed what I said; essentially . . . Netflix can tell if you're using a VPN otherwise they'd be unable to block it.

That there are some providers trying to circumvent that is beside the point.

Before Netflix started blocking VPNs, they could ALL be used to view US content.

If you are a Brit [or simply enjoy Brit TV] then ExpatTV provides all the 'free to air' channels at a reasonable price. Personally I see little value in the Premium option but the basic at 580 Baht a month is good and with a decent box can be HD/1080 if your TV supports that. Ten days retro is the winner for me. Even when you want 'live' with a 6/7 hours time difference you don't have to sit up into the wee small hours and can watch over breakfast before you hear the result elsewhere.

Their [ExpatTV] boxes are however overpriced and I bought the latest Minix Z64 Android box for a similar price to their older model. With the Z64 you can load most anything you want in addition to the ExpatTV software. I have Kodi Exodus for one and find that the two provide all the TV I need. Latest 2016 movies tend to be on there in HD/1080 within a few weeks of launch. And yes it is currently legal to watch; but illegal to download and store. Until the law changes it is not illegal to view via streaming and [simply hearsay] some distributors have no problem with streaming as those who do it are more likely to watch at the cinema after seeing on the small screen than they were to watch on the big screen first. Impossible to simulate at home the full experience of a movie that was created for the big screen - especially Imax.

ThaiExpat.tv is not 1080 only 720 but still good enough on my 50" TV.

When I said Netflix and the BBC iPlayer can tell if you're using a VPN, you said

No they can't. I really don't want to get into the specifics but all of Netflix content is available in Thailand as is Kodi. All the information is online or ask your VPN.

So you confirmed what I said; essentially . . . Netflix can tell if you're using a VPN otherwise they'd be unable to block it.

Before Netflix started blocking VPNs, they could ALL be used to view US content.

Good VPN servers are smart in the way that they work.

When you want to connect to Netflix, for example, rather than handing your computer Netflix's real IP address, the service sends it back the VPN's IP address. (so netflix does not know you are in a different country.

Your computer then connects to the VPN, routing its traffic to the US and the American version of Netflix, all without having to install a client.

This means that you can use practically any device to get US Netflix - including games consoles and smart TVs.

Netflix does not know you are using a VPN they only know that some servers have a lot of traffic and they identify those as belonging to a VPN.

I hope this makes clear to you that a VPN is just another server it does not have a big sign that says VPN on it.

Good VPN servers are smart in the way that they work.

When you want to connect to Netflix, for example, rather than handing your computer Netflix's real IP address, the service sends it back the VPN's IP address. (so netflix does not know you are in a different country.

Your computer then connects to the VPN, routing its traffic to the US and the American version of Netflix, all without having to install a client.

This means that you can use practically any device to get US Netflix - including games consoles and smart TVs.

Netflix does not know you are using a VPN they only know that some servers have a lot of traffic and they identify those as belonging to a VPN.

I hope this makes clear to you that a VPN is just another server it does not have a big sign that says VPN on it.

I don't remember saying it did have a big sign on it saying "VPN".

I do remember saying that Netflix blocks connections from VPNs because it doesn't want people accessing content from territories in which it isn't licensed.

They block proxies too, the net effect is the same

Taking out a subscription to a VPN service that claims to be able to circumvent Netflix/iPlayer blocks assumes that they'll always be able to do that successfully.

Signing up to a VPN service hoping they manage to stay ahead in the game of cat and mouse with Netflix seems daft

Anything you can't get on Netflix Thailand, you can just download on torrents in no-time . . . through a VPN to get around ISP throttling

Edited by Agent Sumo

Get a vpn you'll need one eventually anyway here in Thailand.

Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc can all tell if you're using a VPN.

They didn't care before but now they do because content providers kicked up a stink about people watching shows in unlicensed territories.

Yes they can.

To sum it up Netflix can't tell the difference between a server owned by a VPN and a server not owned by a VPN. They can't block all servers owned by a VPNs. They can block any server they want to block and they try and block servers they know are used to circumvent their rules. Get a good VPN and they will usually be a step ahead of Netflix.

I signed up for Netflix content and they are trying to discriminate against me and Thailand because I happened to move to here. F em. Why should Americans have more and better content than other countries for the same money? You pays your Yankee dollar and gets your Yankee content so says I.

"I eagerly switched on when I heard that season 4 of Kevin Spacey's "House of Cards" had just been released.

What did I find when I switched on? Only seasons 1 - 3.

Season 4 not licensed in Asia because some TV channel (Entertainment, I think) bought the rights to show the series in Thailand over 13 weeks."

I just finished watching House of Cards, Season-4 on IlikeHD. I have a poor, 15MBs True ADSL line, lately I've been getting 5 to 8 MPs. There was a little buffering but not bad. Did have to use 360P but watchable.

He's talking about the series section of ilikehd while you refer to the channels, idiot. He said himself he had to watch it in 360p so he has low standards. And the resolutions are 480 (not 420) 720 and 1080. But ive never seen anything 1080 on ilikehd. Get your facts right! I have experience with Ilikehd. Its typical for low standard users. Buffering, out of sync, channels not available ... Typical of ilikehd. Thai expat is not perfect either but a much better option.

Edited by sniffdog

He's talking about the series section of ilikehd while you refer to the channels, idiot. He said himself he had to watch it in 360p so he has low standards. And the resolutions are 480 (not 420) 720 and 1080. But ive never seen anything 1080 on ilikehd. Get your facts right! I have experience with Ilikehd. Its typical for low standard users. Buffering, out of sync, channels not available ... Typical of ilikehd. Thai expat is not perfect either but a much better option.

As i said i only watch football and i do watch it on 1080 so maybe your the idiot and you should get you facts right. Have 25mb fibre so no buffering for me. Also have Thai Expat and just got 365 sports again just to cover all bases.

As i said i only watch football and i do watch it on 1080 so maybe your the idiot and you should get you facts right. Have 25mb fibre so no buffering for me. Also have Thai Expat and just got 365 sports again just to cover all bases.

Can you download movies to your device on Netflix like you can do on iflix? I find this feature really nice and the reason I subscribed to iflix.

Nope

Yes you can if you use a programme called "Play On". You can even set it to record series automatically. Problem is at the beginning of the recording it puts a screen up saying downloaded from Netflix with your name and IP address.

Yea of course.

And do you really expect Kodi to stream 4k files as 4k to 4k TVs?

So many noobs in this thread.

Mooner:

'I have 25 mbit fibre so I never have buffering'.

Such classic noob statements.

Edited by sniffdog

4K does bring up an interesting point. There's like 10,000 shows on Netflix and 6 in 4K and those are not available in Thailand unless you use a VPN. Netflix in 4K is only available on a few boxes or smart TV. But the boxes and/or smart TV's are not able to use a VPN. If you use a computer on your TV Netflix in 4K is not available unless you guys know something I don't.