No Joke! Chiang Mai 90-Day Reporting

ThaiTony2

Tony, you did your 90 day, and had a nice breakfast...Nice day really...

He could have waited until 8:30 am, received his queue ticket and depending upon the queue number, either been seen shortly thereafter or had time to go have breakfast and saved himself 300 baht and probably been done before 9:30 am.

Instead he chose to support a "business" that exists to supply a service that expats don't have to use in any other province in Thailand. Instead, the service level that "Poor Sucker" reported for Samui is the norm for the rest of the country, including places with large numbers of retirees, like Pattaya and Phuket.

I'm sorry, but the cries of "no support from Bangkok" and "not enough people" from the Immigration mgt. have gone on for just too long to be believable.

Obviously you don't live in Phuket because you are posting erroneous info about immigration here. I went in for 90 day a week ago and the stand in line was 5 mins, sitting waiting to be called 2 mins, processing 1 1/2 mins. And this is the norm here, under 10 mins. Thank you and Goodnight.

Oh, so sorry to be slagging Phuket. "Poor Sucker" reported 5 - 10 minutes for Samui. Good to learn it's ALWAYS less in Phuket.

Just reinforces what I said about Chiang Mai. Nowhere else in Thailand do retirees have to endure poor service levels at their local imm. offices or pay agents to do the simplest tasks like we do here in Chiang Mai. The old saw about "no support from Bangkok" just doesn't cut it. Chiang Mai isn't THAT special a snowflake.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5-10 min at Samui Immigration, no TM47 needed, just your passport.

Did mine in Chiang Rai today at 1pm and I barely had time to sit down before he called me back to the counter, (under 5 min). They scan the barcode on the last receipt so nothing to sign. We had a brief chat, I thanked him profusely and got busy with the rest of my day.smile.png

Yes, it begs the question of why CM hasn't gone to using barcodes for 90 day reports like so many other provinces in Thailand, doesn't it?

I drove to Dan Singkorn to do my 90 day report which is about an hour away. Handed over Passport with old reporting slip stapled inside. The IO took that one out scanned it and put a new one in. Total with a quick chat.......5 minutes. (No charge!!) No sign of this supposed new form to be filled in either. Then down to the Border Market for some flower shopping and home again.

Pretty well points out the uselessness of the 90day.

Also kind of points out how smoooothly things can go if the wheel is greased. I just feel sorry for the poor snooks that do things the honest way on their visa extension. I will be one of those in September.

How could immigration process everything without the form being completed?

Not sure about CM, but at Jomtien it's been more than a year since a form was required at all. Just hand over the passport. They read the barcode from the previous report and print out the new one. Done.

Usually in and out in under a minute and no cost. No joke.

Edited by Suradit69

Not sure about CM, but at Jomtien it's been more than a year since a form was required at all. Just hand over the passport. They read the barcode from the previous report and print out the new one. Done.

Chiang Rai same as Jomtien.

Elgordo: 90 day appears to be a gravy train (for you know who) only in Chiang Mai.

"This new place charged me 300 baht to do my 90-day reporting."

lol, there is a sucker born every day! i did my reporting on last Thursday. went downstairs and handed the envelope to our post-lady. cost me 32 Baht and i never left my house.laugh.png

Nice to see you got some exercise cheap Charlie.

Tony, you did your 90 day, and had a nice breakfast...Nice day really...

He could have waited until 8:30 am, received his queue ticket and depending upon the queue number, either been seen shortly thereafter or had time to go have breakfast and saved himself 300 baht and probably been done before 9:30 am.

Instead he chose to support a "business" that exists to supply a service that expats don't have to use in any other province in Thailand. Instead, the service level that "Poor Sucker" reported for Samui is the norm for the rest of the country, including places with large numbers of retirees, like Pattaya and Phuket.

I'm sorry, but the cries of "no support from Bangkok" and "not enough people" from the Immigration mgt. have gone on for just too long to be believable.

Or he could have got a ticket and had to wait 5 hours to be seen. Some people have better things to do with their time.

Has it become a requirement to submit a completed Foreigner Personal Information form with every 90-day report - or has this irksome idea been dropped?

Off to Hua Hin Immigration soon, so it would be helpful to know if anybody has personal experience.

Usually in and out in under a minute

Do I hear 45 seconds anynone/ Second time do i hear.......OK we got 45 seconds on my left........do I hear 30 seconds anyone

I suppose the same could be said about the annual American Social Security report I just mailed in. I ticked three boxes regarding changes of employment and current address, signed it and mailed it back to them.

Pretty sure it's just a subtle attempt to figure out if I'm still alive from one year to the next.

Usually in and out in under a minute

Do I hear 45 seconds anynone/ Second time do i hear.......OK we got 45 seconds on my left........do I hear 30 seconds anyone

"Under a minute" already encompasses 45 seconds and 30 seconds.

I suppose the same could be said about the annual American Social Security report I just mailed in. I ticked three boxes regarding changes of employment and current address, signed it and mailed it back to them.

Pretty sure it's just a subtle attempt to figure out if I'm still alive from one year to the next.

It's likely you could do that online, too, but we wouldn't want to deprive anyone of their monthly van ride to the PO.

Hate to break it to you, ThaiTony2, but this little outfit next to the copy center at Imm. Prom. has been around pretty much since the place opened almost a year ago. As noted by others, they're nothing more than a "concierge service" for people who have already gotten themselves, their passports and other relevant documents out to Imm. Prom. and then for whatever reason can't be bothered to wait in a queue.

They're not truly a full service visa agent. A full service visa agent would have sent you a reminder than your 90 day report was due and probably even sent someone to your home to pick up your passport, if you'd used them for your annual visa extension. And if you'd had a problem, like been laid up in the hospital, they would have come to the hospital to take care of this for you. Don't expect this level of service from the shop next to Imm. Prom.

The shop next to the immigration does not claim to be a full service Visa operation. The reality of it is most people do not need a full service. A 365 day extension and a 90 day are all they need. There are some who need a permit to reenter the country or a multi entry. All of these services they offer.

It charges less because of that. You can beat there 300 baht by 50 baht on a 90 day at a full service agent if you agree to another 5,000 baht service. Or you can just do as most do go in yourself. I do my own 90 days no problem and my reentries no problem I have and more than likely will do again paid the 3,000 baht for the 365 day extension. Or may see about sending my grand daughter at 4:00 in the morning to get me a queue number.

Lamphun and Lampang now have their own immigration office's , so there are less people using Chiang Mai . Everything will be quicker now

Excuse me? Where exactly are they and when did they open up for biz?

Thanks

Not sure where the Lamphun one is but the Lampang immigration is in the old police station, been open for years offering 90 days , but now has been revamped to offer full services

Edited by victor15

Hate to break it to you, ThaiTony2, but this little outfit next to the copy center at Imm. Prom. has been around pretty much since the place opened almost a year ago. As noted by others, they're nothing more than a "concierge service" for people who have already gotten themselves, their passports and other relevant documents out to Imm. Prom. and then for whatever reason can't be bothered to wait in a queue.

They're not truly a full service visa agent. A full service visa agent would have sent you a reminder than your 90 day report was due and probably even sent someone to your home to pick up your passport, if you'd used them for your annual visa extension. And if you'd had a problem, like been laid up in the hospital, they would have come to the hospital to take care of this for you. Don't expect this level of service from the shop next to Imm. Prom.

The shop next to the immigration does not claim to be a full service Visa operation. The reality of it is most people do not need a full service. A 365 day extension and a 90 day are all they need. There are some who need a permit to reenter the country or a multi entry. All of these services they offer.

It charges less because of that. You can beat there 300 baht by 50 baht on a 90 day at a full service agent if you agree to another 5,000 baht service. Or you can just do as most do go in yourself. I do my own 90 days no problem and my reentries no problem I have and more than likely will do again paid the 3,000 baht for the 365 day extension. Or may see about sending my grand daughter at 4:00 in the morning to get me a queue number.

You`re like a breath of fresh air on these threads. This same old subject has been covered and recycled time and time again. I have explained the situation countless times about the G4t and other services some prefer to begrudgingly pay money to. I use the G4t next door to immigration because I`m retired and only want an easy life, I don`t need to use the more expensive agencies because I know the system, what`s required, how to fill in my paperwork and can walk a reasonable distance without the aid of a nurse.

Doesn`t mean to say I like it, in fact I think it`s a farce and stinks. But I choose to live here in this wonderful paradise city of Chiang Mai and while serving my time in this exile from my own land of hope and glory I am going to make the best of it. I like to think that my hard earned money is going to good causes, like towards the police pension funds and the building of a lunatic asylum that gives sanctuary to old Farlangs who eventually crack up after living here too long.

Edited by cyberfarang

False information again Nancy.

That visa service includes them completing all forms and providing the required copies in their standard fees.

You suggest that the agency is not full service but do you really know for a fact that they will not provide the services you mentioned?

Finally for their much lower price, is it reasonable for them to provide bells and whistles which most people do not need but are required to pay for at the other agencies?

You keep up your negative attitude toward that agency, do you really know for a fact who owns it or is it your presumption or assumption?

Many found them to be a good service and have repotred that in this forum.

"You suggest that the agency is not full service but do you really know for a fact that they will not provide the services you mentioned?

Finally for their much lower price, is it reasonable for them to provide bells and whistles which most people do not need but are required to pay for at the other agencies?"

Of course not. That would be a full service agency.

False information again Nancy.

That visa service includes them completing all forms and providing the required copies in their standard fees.

You suggest that the agency is not full service but do you really know for a fact that they will not provide the services you mentioned?

Finally for their much lower price, is it reasonable for them to provide bells and whistles which most people do not need but are required to pay for at the other agencies?

You keep up your negative attitude toward that agency, do you really know for a fact who owns it or is it your presumption or assumption?

Many found them to be a good service and have repotred that in this forum.

Yes, and most women don't understand that there is a difference between facts and emotion. The service does include completing all the forms and doing all that kind of work. That is a fact. It is a good place to get your retirement visa renewed.

"This new place charged me 300 baht to do my 90-day reporting."

lol, there is a sucker born every day! i did my reporting on last Thursday. went downstairs and handed the envelope to our post-lady. cost me 32 Baht and i never left my house.laugh.png

I've done 3 online,, sitting at the public computer, at my local pool hall, (HAVE to use IE),, in between matches,, and beers, and returned to same to print out several days later,,, wink.png

Or an emulator.

Full-service visa agencies have websites, answer emails, remind you via phone and/or email when your 90 day report is due, come to your hospital room to pick up your passport to do 90 day reports, take care of everything for your confused, grieving widow whose retirement extension is tied to yours when you die because her permission to stay in Thailand expires when you do, etc, etc.

And, you can tell which are the full service visa agents and which aren't, because the full-service visa agents have to send an employee to sit in the early morning queues for their clients, one employee for each client they plan to serve that day in order to obtain a queue number for their clients, while the queue-jumping operation next door to Imm. Prom. doesn't. A client can turn up at their office as late as 11 am and magically receive a retirement extension that same day. No need for that operation to have had someone sitting in the early morning queue for that person.

So much for the head of Imm.'s promise that he made in a published interview when the new office opened at Promenada Mall -- that all agents were going to be treated the same and that all agents were going to have to send employees to wait in the queues for their clients.