Eleven Dead in Motorway Smash Between Pattaya & Bangkok

rooster59

Gas tanks under seats perhaps, judging from the fire. Horrible. My gf used to come fro visits on those traps. I told her switch to rail link to airport then airport bus. I didn't in any way wish to contribute to her possible death in those things. Nothing will be done safety and those vans.... one would hope insurance companies might force some changes, but don't hold breath for authorities to do anything useful.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about installing tachometers in all public and merchandise transport vehicles? ...and having compulsory or random checks.

I'm guessing you don't know what a tachometer is for?

a device that measures speed

I think you will find that that is a speedometer.

I think what you are trying to say is that they should install tachographs (not tachometers).

A tachometer (revolution-counter, tach, rev-counter, RPM gauge) is an instrument measuring the rotation speed of a shaft or disk, as in a motor or other machine.[1] The device usually displays the revolutions (RPM) on a calibrated analogue dial, but digital displays are increasingly common. Essentially the words tachometer and speedometer have identical meaning: a device that measures speed. It is by arbitrary convention that in the automotive world one is used for engine and the other for vehicle speed. In formal engineering nomenclature, more precise terms are used to distinguish the two.

A tachograph is a device fitted to a vehicle that automatically records its speed and distance, together with the driver's activity selected from a choice of modes. The drive mode is activated automatically when the vehicle is in motion, and modern tachograph heads usually default to the other work mode upon coming to rest. The rest and availability modes can be manually selected by the driver whilst stationary.

For reasons of public safety, many jurisdictions have limits on the working hours of drivers of certain vehicles, such as buses and trucks. A tachograph can be used to monitor this and ensure that appropriate breaks are taken.

I have never seen such a device in this country, but it surely been an effective tool for companies to control their drivers and for the authorities to check if the rules are followed.

The last thing i would want to wear in an overturned and on fire minibus would be a seatbelt.

----------

Without a seatbelt the rollover inertia would eject you through a window and you'd be bouncing down the road. Or you would be breaking the necks of your fellow passengers.

I really miss common sense!

Mini vans will crush like a tin can.

And, many are overloaded with passengers and cargo which causes excessive tire wear and tread separation.

Regarding being in an overturned and burning minibus, my comment stays the same.

You are probably right Chrissables, without a seat belt in these circumstances, you have probably either been ejected and crushed in the rollover, or at least left unconscious inside, and not feel yourself burning to death. Personally, I prefer to stay conscious, relatively unhurt, and able to release my belt and make an escape. Although in an overcrowded minibus that is also an unlikely scenario.

RIP to all, nasty way to die.

The last thing i would want to wear in an overturned and on fire minibus would be a seatbelt.

----------

Without a seatbelt the rollover inertia would eject you through a window and you'd be bouncing down the road. Or you would be breaking the necks of your fellow passengers.

And, many are overloaded with passengers and cargo which causes excessive tire wear and tread separation.

Regarding being in an overturned and burning minibus, my comment stays the same.

You are probably right Chrissables, without a seat belt in these circumstances, you have probably either been ejected and crushed in the rollover, or at least left unconscious inside, and not feel yourself burning to death. Personally, I prefer to stay conscious, relatively unhurt, and able to release my belt and make an escape. Although in an overcrowded minibus that is also an unlikely scenario.

RIP to all, nasty way to die.

It would interesting to know if they were wearing seat belts. I would suggest they were not from previous experiences. But if worn or not this is a terrible accident.

It's called a cruise control unit, tail gate protector and a trip data recorder. Fit all vehicles doing commercial transportation with it and get the BiB to spot check them. Any breach = fine the van owners and, wonder over wonder, things will improve overnight.

But those who could complain usually turn up dead before their voice is heard!

I never take these death-trap vans which are too often driven my idiotic ... often inebriated ... drivers. If I can't drive myself then I take a taxi ... even long haul. I'd rather save my life than save the money.

I suppose the easiest attitude is shrug our shoulders and say it will never change as the Thais are amongst the worst and most ignorant drivers on the planet. But a start must be something along the lines of awareness and making these idiots aware of the consequences of their idiotic driving habits. In the same way that the Thai Government managed to "educate" most of it's ladies that condoms must be worn, then perhaps they could scare people into becoming more aware of what happens when you drive like morons or drive 'unroadworthy' vehicles. Series of adverts and film clips during commercials, billboards and newspaper adverts showimg scary aftermath pictures, with guts and claret splattered everywhere .... could be a start. The UK do this to make people think about bike riders ... and it does work. This is something that the Thai Government could do .... if it wanted to, although of course they are often busy using recourses to break up dangerous bridge parties.

The whole transportations system in Thailand is one big shamble to say the least, it left to the operators of those

services to dictate what safety measures to implement and install on all vehicles servicing passengers,

as well as the design, build and emergency exits in case of such horrendous accident,

and as such, very little car or attention is paid for the minimum safety musts for the sake of safe traveling....

Agreed - there is a lot of time wasted on this forum playing the blame game - it bolsters a kind of racist feeling of superiority over Thai drivers......this is wildly misplaced - they are only part of the overall problem....even in the west human error plays about 67% factor in accidents - the problem is the kind of accidents the conditions in which they happen and the standard of emergency services that are available.

Jeab

Thanks for supporting my argument of total denial..100% driver fault for not knowing how to handle a blowout...one does not flip a van unless going too fast and not know what do when a tire blows....the driver was obviously going too fast to handle a blow out...speed and poor reactions causes a car to flip..they don't turn over by themselves...driver 100% at fault for not knowing how to drive under road conditions...

There needs to be stricter controls on these mini buses, i.e. compulsory registration as commercial vehicle, annual checks & random checks of vehicle safety & operation, compulsory seat belts, passenger limit. Plus,there driver payment system needs to change, to force speed reductions by drivers. Some years back,was 1 of 12 passengers hurtling along on Bangna Express @ 170k p/h. Told driver to slow just laughed, reported to Police station & nothing occurred.

The Prayut Gov't needs institute program to more strictly control the minibus industry, it's a disgrace. Prayut espouses the principles of caring for Thai people, well, 11 Thai people senselessly lost their lives, so, Khun Prayut prove you care....do something!!

Real tough penalties for both drive and company if they are found at fault would save far more lives.

Suppose you were unlucky enough to be in a minibus travelling at 120kph, it hits a crash barrier or electric post and barrel rolls maybe several times. Do you really think your chances of survival will increase if you're not wearing a seatbelt?

Sure, if you do some research, you'll find it's far better to wear a seat belt than not, in majority of crash incidences. Your quoted scenario is in upper end of incidences, most (unreported) incidences occupants would be better off w/ seat belts than not.. Unrestrained bodies & objects cause a great deal of injuries & fatalities.

I was writing about this particular incident.

I do believe it is a governments job to educate people about things such as seat belts and helmets on bikes etc. Then after being educated the individual should be able to decide what to do, as long as his action do not affect others. As in wearing or not wearing a helmet is a crime in some countries, but also a victimless crime.

I'm sorry to be blunt,but I don't think you're terribly bright. It's not a victimless crime not to wear a seatbelt/ crash helmet etc as in many instances you will sustain life changing injuries requiring expensive state medical care and possibly unable to earn a living putting a burden on others. In MOST instances in a crash without a seatbelt you will end up unconscious or too injured to effect an escape. Research has proved this beyond question so your ill thought out opinion is just that.

Chris, you cannot educate the majority of Thai people where common sense is involved, driving vehicles and motorbikes is about 80% common sense, and that

is just what most Thais do not have, you can see it at other times as well as on the roads.

Thais have the same innate common sense as any other body of people in the world. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise. What they do lack is an education system that teaches driving skills or acceptable behavioural control, a incorruptible police force or reasonable road traffic enforcement and subsequent adequate punishment if convicted.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you, the low mentality of most, but not all, Thai drivers

and motorbike riders is absolutely dreadful. That is why there is such carnage on the roads.

they think Buddah will keep them safe.

Chris, you cannot educate the majority of Thai people where common sense is involved, driving vehicles and motorbikes is about 80% common sense, and that

is just what most Thais do not have, you can see it at other times as well as on the roads.

Thais have the same innate common sense as any other body of people in the world. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise. What they do lack is an education system that teaches driving skills or acceptable behavioural control, a incorruptible police force or reasonable road traffic enforcement and subsequent adequate punishment if convicted.

not racist! Fact is the Thais don't rise up.against the madness,they just smile and shrug their shoulders.

Yes, like I said, they think Buddah will save them.

Pleading to the government for stricter control - a waste of time - police law enforcement - a waste of time

Solution Don't use the vans if you want to live - ad campaign with this message then hope users listen otherwise give up

I don't see it as a racial superiority but a vastly superior comprehensive driving system in place....

The mindset for a proper safety-oriented system is completely missing...case in point, the ten day dangerous road campaign and continuing to use checkpoints as their main enforcement method...

They need to completely start from scratch....

There needs to be stricter controls on these mini buses, i.e. compulsory registration as commercial vehicle, annual checks & random checks of vehicle safety & operation, compulsory seat belts, passenger limit. Plus,there driver payment system needs to change, to force speed reductions by drivers. Some years back,was 1 of 12 passengers hurtling along on Bangna Express @ 170k p/h. Told driver to slow just laughed, reported to Police station & nothing occurred.

The Prayut Gov't needs institute program to more strictly control the minibus industry, it's a disgrace. Prayut espouses the principles of caring for Thai people, well, 11 Thai people senselessly lost their lives, so, Khun Prayut prove you care....do something!!

Sorry no can do your suggestions cost to much money. Subs planes and trains are the new high profile priority. Collateral damage a showpiece crackdown and life goes on. Its like a Broadway production.

Yep, no doubt you're right! Though if road deaths continue unabated, there'll no capable Thais left to man/woman the much needed subs, planes & trains.

A Broadway production... sadly, John Candy died so need a fill-in for "Subs, Planes 'n' Trains"!

----------

Quite right... Quite right.

If I was in an overturned and burning minibus, I would want my seatbelt off, too.... And damn quickly.

But.... You do realize that the wearing of the seatbelt, during the overturning phase, is probably the only reason why you would, perhaps, be still able to undo the seatbelt, and effect an escape, don't you?

LOL.... And victimless crimes? Really?

Unsecured items in a vehicular accident, which included 80kg (?) human bodies, will fly about the interior, and could injure others, incapacitating them, and therefore hindering their,and others, escape.

And then comes the not wearing helmet rubbish... Unbelievable... And rather callous towards loved ones left behind.... Perhaps they are the real victims.

Anyway.... As you like, right? But do play roo mucks second posted road safety video, it may educate you, and.... perhaps consider exchanging that old filament light globe in your head for a new LED jobby.... Very bright they are.

Actually this all got out of hand because i said i would not want to locked in a seat belt upside down in a burning mini bus. As a personal choice i stand by that statement.

If in a vehicle with others then of course the victimless part does not count at all. I never said it did!

Victimless regarding a helmet, yes. If it's against the law, the law has be broken. But there is no victim to that. consequences maybe, victim no.

You have nothing to worry about, the normal minibus drivers do not allow seat belts to be worn as it restricts the numbers that they can squeeze in.

Sorry no can do your suggestions cost to much money. Subs planes and trains are the new high profile priority. Collateral damage a showpiece crackdown and life goes on. Its like a Broadway production.

Tend to agree, though if road deaths continue unabated, there'll be no men or women capable of steering, flying or driving all the new gear.

A broadway production, sadly no... as John Candy has passed on & who could fill for him in "Subs, Planes & Trains"???....Though Steve Martin is still kicking!!

I drove back on the motorway from Pattaya yesterday. The speed at which some drive, the lack of lane awareness, tailgating and swerving in and out of lanes, makes it surprising that this sort of horrendous accident doesn't happen even more often.

You are correct, it is a high speed road.

I use this road twice, sometimes four times a week, 95% of drivers are ok, but the dangerous 5% are a problem.

I am constantly checking mirrors and trying to predict what is in front. Bad drivers include big buses, and one company in particular that I won't name but their buses are blue, crazy young blokes in pickups swerving in and out with some crazy maneuvers, minivan conveys and merc and bmw drivers who drive too fast and tailgate.

There are always patrol cars and cops on motorbikes pulling people over, but they usually hassle the big trucks that drive slowly anyway.

I have seen countless accidents on this road. Nearly always they are in the fast lane.

It is actually a very good smooth road with many lanes, which is a speedsters heaven.

When safe and have a clear road in front I sit on between 120-140 with no problems, but am still always looking in the rear view mirror as many do up to about 180-200 I estimate.(usually mercs and beemers)

95% of drivers are ok.

I take it the majority of these would be Farangs.

What about installing tachometers in all public and merchandise transport vehicles? ...and having compulsory or random checks.

I'm guessing you don't know what a tachometer is for?

a device that measures speed

I think you will find that that is a speedometer.

I think what you are trying to say is that they should install tachographs (not tachometers).

Just supposing there was tachographs put on all passenger buses, I mean mini vans and big buses, do you think the police would be stopping them regularly and checking these tachographs?

I don't, unless there is tea money involved.

nchuckle.......

I was writing about this particular incident.

I do believe it is a governments job to educate people about things such as seat belts and helmets on bikes etc. Then after being educated the individual should be able to decide what to do, as long as his action do not affect others. As in wearing or not wearing a helmet is a crime in some countries, but also a victimless crime.

I'm sorry to be blunt,but I don't think you're terribly bright. It's not a victimless crime not to wear a seatbelt/ crash helmet etc as in many instances you will sustain life changing injuries requiring expensive state medical care and possibly unable to earn a living putting a burden on others. In MOST instances in a crash without a seatbelt you will end up unconscious or too injured to effect an escape. Research has proved this beyond question so your ill thought out opinion is just that.

Be blunt, i have no issues with that at all.

​I standby my comment, the law would have been broken. (depending of what country / state you were riding in) But who is the victim?

Your statement above refers to what happens as a result of an accident.

If someone is injured due to an accident, they are a victim of an accident.

I use this road twice, sometimes four times a week, 95% of drivers are ok, but the dangerous 5% are a problem.

Seriously? I think you have those figures backwards, 95% are the problem and 5% are OK.

how many Thai people could pass a driving test in the UK even if they had been driving for decades.

I'll wait...

I fear you would say the same about the French or Italians if you drove in Paris or Rome, I have been driving in Thailand for a long time and I think I've learned to adapt, but I'm lucky, I was only 35 when I came to live in Thailand so was not too old to adapt, of course my experience may have been different had I been older and less able to adapt.

Accidents happen everywhere, if you adapt to local driving conditions you'll likely survive longer, but again, just like everywhere, accidents do happen.

1.3 million people will die on roads this year, a small fraction of that figure be in Thailand, but most wont be.

Absurd. Like saying that there are 7billion people on the planet, but only a small fraction live in Thailand. Most people live elsewhere. You don't say!

This story breaks my heart, but the lies anger me most of all. It's simply not true that when a rear tyre blows a vehicle goes cartwheeling down the road. If that was true I would never drive a vehicle again. Something else was going on here, most likely excessive speed.

Until the Thais start acknowledging responsibility instead of always blaming 'blown tyres' or 'rogue waves' nothing will change, and these tragedies will just keep on coming.

I worked in Bangkok for 8 years and drove home to Pattaya/Jomtien every Friday night, then back to Bangkok on Sunday. The insanity of some drivers never ceased to amaze me.

The lack of highway Police Patrols was/is despicable and inexcusable .

(1)

Transport trucks would crowd 3 of the 4 lanes -- until they got word of a Highway 'Honda Accord' (Police car of choice)-- , at which time they would politely slide into their designated left lanes like kids in line at a school function, then pass the police spot check , and then return to hogging 3 out of 4 lanes. That creates frustration, along with the speeding vans.

(2)

I always knew when there was a Sunday afternoon car race on at Bira Race Track. All the young Bangkok Boys in their expensive Hot Car that "Daddy" payed for, would be using the motorway as their own practice track, to play "Fast & Furious" for real, with their friends on the way home to their mansions in Bangkok. Never mind who's life was endangered in the process. Daddy will cover me.

My POINT - much much more police presence is necessary to bring the wild and disobedient drivers in line. This stuff doesn't happen back home for that very reason.

Archived