Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Two faced language views – why not make all people living in Thailand learn Thai.

Inspire

I would love to learn Thai,,,,,But I have not met One Thai (in four years) that can Speak enough

English/Australian/Dutch so that I can understand Him/Her to Teach Thai,,Thais Can't speak English,,,

Same as we can't speak Thai.By the way,,,I am born and lived in the Netherlands for 24 years,,

Lived in Australia 40 years,,, Happy Days in Thailand ((:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The writer explicitly mentions retirement and work visas, this in no way equates to an immigration or settlement status, it is only a visa extension. I am functional in spoken Thai, many people I know are not but that is their choice, or aptitude.

If I were given same business rights as a Thai, I would gladly continue my language study.

Bravo good reply. Leave us retirees alone in our last moments of life.

It is a good idea. I assume the quota for people being approved for residency will also be cancelled? I can speak with Thai's in Thai. No I am not as fluent as the locals and never will be but I dont need people to speak English to me to understand what is being said and to make them understand me. If you want to live in a country it is reasonable that you learn enough of the language to stop you being a burden on people

So,burdening the Thais with all the money we bring in and spend while entitled to no residency benefits that they might enjoy in uk and with no more security than to the end of one's visa extension?

There is no English requirement in Australia to gain permanent residency. Plenty of Thais live permanently in Australia with minimal English skills. They get medicare, the dole, old age pensions and all the other benefits of citizenship. There is a multiple choice written test to gain citizenship, but there is a set number of questions and they can be memorised without too many problems. The test can be taken as often as needed to pass. English is not a prerequisite to a fulfilling life in Australia for a Thai person.

Why is Thailand so strict in its residency requirements (6th grade level Thai oral and written skills, minimum job/salary/tax requirements etc)? I guess it is because Australia is a multi-cultural country whereas Thailand is more xenophobic.

Interesting all those things including no English skills are offered for permanent residency in Australia Yet Kiwis are denied all of this. Have to pay the same taxes and levies but no medicare, dole , old age pension or right to pathway to Citizenship. Kiwis are Australia's Mexicans . Lucky for the 66,000 Aussies permanent in NZ Kiwis are not so Xenophobic as Australians

It's much easier for people in their 20's and 30's to learn Thai than for people in their 60's and 70's.

I've learned Thai because I want to be able to at least communicate. And it's a good mental exercise to help ward off Alzheimer's. While I would encourage everyone in my age group to learn Thai, IMHO it should not be compulsory. That's because the tones are VERY difficult for Westerners who have lived a life listening to monotones with the occasional query inflection. As other posters have noted, people on retirement extensions do contribute to the Thai economy. Different to Western countries where some ethnic groups have made it a profession to milk the social security system, and scream racism if they are taken to task.

I do get some good language practice in with my Thai GF, although I wouldn't recommend that learning method for everyone on this forum.smile.png

...the population of the world is 7.4 B....

...nearly 1.5 B speak English....

...a little over 60 M speak Thai....many of them poorly....

...0.008 % of the world population....

...a language fraught with errors and inconsistencies besides ...

...people that travel here come with an open mind....

...students asked where they would like to visit in the world responded...resoundingly...'Nowhere. I want to stay in Thailand'

...argument just for the sake of argument...???

...stop giving your friends....or 'pretties'.....the forum.....

...you are losing credibility.....

there's one major problem that will never be solved in our lifetimes - not enough thai/English speaking teachers to carry out this. Even in the state schools systems the majority are hopeless. I knew the head of English department at a very large and important state school a year back who could not put a sentence together and did not know how to switch the computer on.With this level of incompetence where the hell are the government going to find the teachers. Sorry to disappoint you but this is never going to happen and on top of that the comments made by many here that it would only be realistic if one was applying for citizenship is certainly valid.

The difference, in general, is most people seeking entrance into the UK and the rest of Europe come there for a better life, social security, a job, free medical help, and if possible free housing.

Learning English, or the language of the country seems to be a reasonable thing.

Expats to Thailand, on the contrary, do not aspire for free things.

They know that nothing is free in Thailand.

They invest savings and bring in their pension.

They know they will never get any permanent visa, a year at a time, if they are over 50 and have sufficient money.

Thai is a very difficult language, and has nothing in common with European languages.

Also, when you are 50 years or older, learning a new language is very difficult

So, why learn Thai?

As my friend says, I bring in a lot of money, they try to steal of me all the time, should do well to learn English for better plucking me.

...students asked where they would like to visit in the world responded...resoundingly...'Nowhere. I want to stay in Thailand'

There are maybe 0.5 Billion native English speakers, the other ones have learnt it (quiet difficult to count them). Every language has a right to exist, it's a part of cultural identity. To say a language is fraught with errors and inconsistencies is very arrogant at least. I don't say that everybody staying in Thailand long time should learn the language, but please, some respect for the Thai language, even when recognising that local English skills are inadequate.

When the UK announced a couple of years back that the government was tightening up requirements of foreigners seeking settlement into the United Kingdom to speak English it was met with overwhelming approval.

And at the end of it the foreigners that can speak English seeking settlement into the country get full citizenship and full rights under the laws in the UK. In Thailand as a foreign resident here, no matter how many languages I speak including Thai (I do speak Thai) gain absolutely nothing for all my efforts, don`t get any more concessions or preferential advantages then an average tourist.

There is no English requirement in Australia to gain permanent residency. Plenty of Thais live permanently in Australia with minimal English skills. They get medicare, the dole, old age pensions and all the other benefits of citizenship. There is a multiple choice written test to gain citizenship, but there is a set number of questions and they can be memorised without too many problems. The test can be taken as often as needed to pass. English is not a prerequisite to a fulfilling life in Australia for a Thai person.

Why is Thailand so strict in its residency requirements (6th grade level Thai oral and written skills, minimum job/salary/tax requirements etc)? I guess it is because Australia is a multi-cultural country whereas Thailand is more xenophobic.

Interesting all those things including no English skills are offered for permanent residency in Australia Yet Kiwis are denied all of this. Have to pay the same taxes and levies but no medicare, dole , old age pension or right to pathway to Citizenship. Kiwis are Australia's Mexicans . Lucky for the 66,000 Aussies permanent in NZ Kiwis are not so Xenophobic as Australians

i am a kiwi and got my aussie passport easily in 2002. things have got really tight since then. paying taxes and not getting the benefits of unemployment or pension is crazy. think you need 3 years gearning a high salary to try to get citizenship.

Thai is a highly imprecise language and has been one of the reasons Thailand's development has dramatically slowed down.

Utter nonsense, as any linguist will tell you. The Thai language can be as specific as you want it to be. But yes, much of the time Thais will not use it that way, because a certain amount of ambiguity smooths out social interactions. Welcome to Asia.

You are wrong. I had a Korean girlfriend who was required to learn English to gain residency. IELTS standard.

Thai is a highly imprecise language and has been one of the reasons Thailand's development has dramatically slowed down.

Utter nonsense, as any linguist will tell you. The Thai language can be as specific as you want it to be. But yes, much of the time Thais will not use it that way, because a certain amount of ambiguity smooths out social interactions. Welcome to Asia.

I laughed when I read his comment. He must have made it up, because the opposite is true, it can be very precise, but the Thais often don't use precise language if it is not necessary to understand the meaning.

Very clever people these Thais.

You are wrong. I had a Korean girlfriend who was required to learn English to gain residency. IELTS standard.

I'm afraid your girlfriend was conned. My wife, and two Thai friends, gained citizenship in Australia last year. There is no requirement under law to meet any English test/standard, just the citizenship test. Permanent residency is even easier, no English needed at all (for a spouse or de facto).

Might only be .08% of the world population, but 100% in Thailand.

I want to live here forever, so I should speak Thai.

I went to a Pattaya language school a few years back.

It was bloody useless, they didn't even teach Thai script, the teachers changed every three months. I should have known, the English owner didn't even know basic Thai. It was basically a Visa shop, there was no set curriculum, the teachers were not even real teachers.

The transliterated Thai they taught us actually made us learn it the wrong way. A big waste of time.

A lot of excuses for not learning Thai on this thread. If a five year old can do it, you can too.

It isn't that hard, you can learn the Thai script in about 2 weeks. Once you know the script you just pick it up. Thai writing is everywhere. When waiting for my food in restaurants I always read the menu etc.

I think the people who claim they can't do it have never really tried, or have gone to a useless school like I did. Or bought a book and failed. The way to learn is by putting pen to paper. You can't learn the piano by reading a book about it, you have to DO it. Thai is the same.

Writing is easier than English. I improved greatly when I started using Thai dating sites. My Thai writing was like a child. But stacks of girls thought it was cute and wanted to help me. Now I use line a lot.

IMO you get better quality girls by speaking Thai, not farangified ones.

I still struggle to keep up when tHais are speaking quickly. I have been here for seven years and read probably about the same as Thai seven year olds. I ain't giving up.

I don't understand why anyone would want to live here and no bother to learn it. It makes everything easier and it used to annoy me when in at a Thai party and they had to use English for my sake.

If you don't learn it you are effectively a deaf, illiterate mute.

I also believe you get more respect from Thais if you speak and read their language. And make more friends. I grew up in Oz and migrants were expected to learn English.

You will get better prices also, because they think you RooMuck.

Yeah yeah English is the word leading language it's a fact. And although learning other languages is time consuming. Thai language is a really strange and funny lingo to learn. I can't see it being a chosen dialogue unless really required. Will give the lessons a miss

Yeah yeah English is the word leading language it's a fact. And although learning other languages is time consuming. Thai language is a really strange and funny lingo to learn. I can't see it being a chosen dialogue unless really required. Will give the lessons a miss

Aren't foreigners seeking settlement (residence) in Thailand required to learn to lingo as part of the application process ?

I thought so too. Like many others, I'm currently here for business with a visa and work permit. Others may have a series of visa renewals or extensions, but I thought if you wanted to become a resident you needed to speak and read Thai?

Same in most countries.

I can accept and agree that the requirement for "resident" status requires a capability to speak adequate Thai. Despite the fact that many other countries reserve that requirement for"permanent" residency.

However for those in great numbers who are granted extensions of stay for which there is no requirement for any capacity in Thai language it essentially is a question of practical necessity. And naturally those who stay in Thailand on this basis acquire Thai language to various degrees unless they are obnoxiously resistant. And naturally it is to advantage.( destressing the cute staff in 7/11 or Tesco L who are afraid to deal farang customers laugh.png )

Perhaps this suggestion stems from the frustration expressed by Thais who are frustrated with dealing with non Thai who attempt to communicate in an appalling version of English?.

Australia insists that people learn to speak English. My wife actually speaks English very well but as part of her permanent residency requirements she must attend a minimum of 10 hours of English classes per week. The government provides the classes free and actually pays her travelling costs and an allowance of $380 a fortnight. As she reads and writes English fluently having obtained her accounting degree in Aust many years ago she says it's money for nothing. She works full time for an Aussie accounting firm and gets study leave.

Part of my wife's permanent residency requirement she must attend a minimum of 10 hours English classes. She reads and writes English fluently.

A lot of excuses for not learning Thai on this thread. If a five year old can do it, you can too.

It isn't that hard, you can learn the Thai script in about 2 weeks. Once you know the script you just pick it up. Thai writing is everywhere.

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I have to disagree with these statements.

At five years, a child is probably at the peak of their learning capacity. Think of it as an empty glass, waiting to be filled with experiences. Contrast that with a 70 year old, when the glass is full. Much less room for new learning.

Learn Thai script in two weeks? Get real. A language with 44 consonants, 24 vowels plus 4 special vowels and a silent vowel. Which provides no assistance by stringing the words together. It takes schoolkids at least two years to learn the Thai alphabet, and you are claiming two weeks?

I will be learning Thai for the rest of my life. While I'm reasonably competent in spoken Thai, I doubt I can ever master the written word.

I studied (and passed) French for 4 years in senior high school and did not know anything of the language 6 months later. My brain works best with numbers so appears to be not programmed for linguistics. The old brain will not retain what it hears and the wtb does not want me to learn Thai so does not try to help. I will never be able to speak Thai but do learn as much about the culture and history that I can find in English.

Like your Avatar, one of my favorite ablums - where have all the masters like Jethro Tull gone - the world would be a better place id they were all still plying the airwaves............clap2.gif

Archived