Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Two faced language views – why not make all people living in Thailand learn Thai.

Inspire

A few years ago I want to the YMCA here in Chiang Mai to learn Thai. There were 6 of us in a "special class". All over 50, and with their "best" teacher. Not a day went past when we didn't have to look at each other in total confusion and whisper: "What did she say?" Her English was so atrocious that we could barely understand her 75% of the time. We all passed, somehow, and all vowed never to return.

Sorry to hear that was your experience. I too went to the YMCA after first retiring here in Chiang Mai.

Went through the first three levels (repeating level three) but seemed to hit the wall. Not a

problem for me with the three teachers I had. I think my brain was on overload after living here for

those first 8 months. At any rate, met my now wife and she wanted to learn English so that is what

we speak mostly. Fortunate for me. After studying or being exposed to 7 languages I can claim to

speak only my native English. You don't use it...you loose it! Ha! Now I sometimes find myself confused using English.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a good idea. I assume the quota for people being approved for residency will also be cancelled? I can speak with Thai's in Thai. No I am not as fluent as the locals and never will be but I dont need people to speak English to me to understand what is being said and to make them understand me. If you want to live in a country it is reasonable that you learn enough of the language to stop you being a burden on people

So,burdening the Thais with all the money we bring in and spend while entitled to no residency benefits that they might enjoy in uk and with no more security than to the end of one's visa extension?

You really should learn to comprehend English which obviously at present you dont. I will reiterate (that means say it again) If you go to live in a country that is not your place of birth it always makes it easier if you learn the language at least enough to get by with. I assume this is too big a burden for you which is probably why you dont get s much from living here. I would also assume you have not really lived in many places or your mind would be a lot more open to such issues.

If you want to live in a country I think it is right you should try to fit in and language is one of those ways you can do that. Money has nothing to do with it, and I doubt if you burden anyone except yourself.

Sure. That'll thin the expat hordes. Thai is basically useless outside Thailand, if it's obligatory, pick Singapore instead.

I doubt if it will thin the expats. Most of the guys I know who like me live here enjoy talking Thai, it makes them feel a part of the community.

It is a good idea. I assume the quota for people being approved for residency will also be cancelled? I can speak with Thai's in Thai. No I am not as fluent as the locals and never will be but I dont need people to speak English to me to understand what is being said and to make them understand me. If you want to live in a country it is reasonable that you learn enough of the language to stop you being a burden on people

So,burdening the Thais with all the money we bring in and spend while entitled to no residency benefits that they might enjoy in uk and with no more security than to the end of one's visa extension?

You really should learn to comprehend English which obviously at present you dont. I will reiterate (that means say it again) If you go to live in a country that is not your place of birth it always makes it easier if you learn the language at least enough to get by with. I assume this is too big a burden for you which is probably why you dont get s much from living here. I would also assume you have not really lived in many places or your mind would be a lot more open to such issues.

If you want to live in a country I think it is right you should try to fit in and language is one of those ways you can do that. Money has nothing to do with it, and I doubt if you burden anyone except yourself.

I get by just fine only speaking english.

Quite apart from the obvious differences between being granted residence status and annual extensions/90 day reporting etc. - when I first moved here I found a Thai teacher to learn the language. His English was v good, but unfortunately my brain is not 'wired' well for languages and so I found it v difficult - not helped by being tone deaf!

After a while I gave up (for various reasons), but still do my best to learn new words etc. as IMO its rude to make no effort at all when living in a foreign country and, my attempts to speak Thai give the locals a good laugh - which also makes it worthwhile!

Living alone, its impossible to speak Thai frequently enough (for my language resistant brain...) to retain the words I learn for more than a couple of weeks - and its a shame as I'd love to speak Thai, bearing in mind I'm living here.

As for waiing - having not grown up with the practice, I'll never understand the intricacies and so it makes more sense just to bow my head. Nobody has every appeared to be offended by this.

i speak enough Thai/Loa to get me by in the village i live in.I never had a lesson,i learned by listening and asking ,over 16 years..Thats enough for me,My wife speaks good enough English to understand me and we have some very good conversations.Once again,thats enough for me.

So who are you to make demands of us who are perfectly happy without your interference.

Do i get a Thai price at the attractions?Because i can utter a few words? No Do i get all the options and advantages in this country that Thais get? No,when i am afforded the same treatment,ie no double pricing,no derisive looks or comments from some of the Thai officials,The same protection from Thai thugs by the police and the courts.The same ability to use an infantile excuse of being drunk or on yaba,or not able to control my sexual urges,if i try to rape my friends wife. If i am promised those things that would appear to be a Thais right,and when i am treated like a citizen and not an ignorant,stupid foreigner,or mugging fodder.Then i might change my opinion.

But until that happens.Mind your own business,and let us live our lives using the language we are happy with.

You can't make people learn a language but you can point out the benefits of doing so. If you chose to learn or not is what is called freedom to choose

There is no benefit to me learning the lingo.

Well it obviously makes sense to learn enough to get by, dependent on your particular circumstances, and most people will do this naturally or through some basic introductory course. I do wonder how worthwhile it is to spend the time, effort, and money on becoming fluent. I am not aware of any great body of Thai literature (mostly derivative so far as I can see; for example, the great Thai epic, The Ramakien, is based on the Indian Ramayana, and even the religeous stuff is in Pali), and hearsay evidence from the fluent ones is that ordinary Thai conversation is uninspiring; what are you going to do - discuss the price of rice. Of course, some people are naturally gifted at languages, and all power to them, but for us ordinary mortals, it's a big investment, and to what purpose.

A lot of excuses for not learning Thai on this thread. If a five year old can do it, you can too.

It isn't that hard, you can learn the Thai script in about 2 weeks. Once you know the script you just pick it up. Thai writing is everywhere.

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I have to disagree with these statements.

At five years, a child is probably at the peak of their learning capacity. Think of it as an empty glass, waiting to be filled with experiences. Contrast that with a 70 year old, when the glass is full. Much less room for new learning.

Learn Thai script in two weeks? Get real. A language with 44 consonants, 24 vowels plus 4 special vowels and a silent vowel. Which provides no assistance by stringing the words together. It takes schoolkids at least two years to learn the Thai alphabet, and you are claiming two weeks?

I will be learning Thai for the rest of my life. While I'm reasonably competent in spoken Thai, I doubt I can ever master the written word.

Alright Bazza, I did it and I have taught others to do it.

If you just do it, you can do it. The oldest bloke I taught was 74.

Day 1. Write the first 6 constanants over and over again. Every hour. In order.

Day 2 write the first 12 constanants over and over again in order. Every hour.

Day 3 . Write the first 18 constanants over and over again. Every hour.

And so on.

It gets hard in the middle, but easier in the end.

It is frustrating, you think you have got it, but then you forget again. But by doing it every hour it will sink in.

Once you have finished the constanants, find five words that use each vowel. Best to use words you already know.

Write them over and over. Every hour you are awake. As soon as you wake up, just before you sleep.

Then read EVERYTHING you see. Words that interst you, write them down.

There are some strange rules that will confuse you at first, but just DO IT.

I swear to Buddha if you do it hourly, you will learn it in two weeks.

You will be reading like a 4 year old, very slowly, but you need to learn to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

You must write, if you only read you won't learn it.

It will be a frustrating two weeks. But Just Do It!!!!

Ps no spaces between words seems crazy, but after a while it looks normal. When you start writing sentences, put a space in. Later you can drop the spaces.

Thai is easier than English.

Firstly, where I think this piece lets itself down. You can refrain from the "imperialist" crap, it means nothing to anyone anymore and your piece would have read better to me had you kept this to yourself.

For the main point I think it is pretty reasonable to say that someone making a home here should make the effort to learn Thai, who could not agree with that. It is to everyones benefit and people will most likely fit better into Thai society if they can understand and speak the language. Also, simple things like signs and food packaging are a challenge for people so reading Thai would certainly be a benefit.

The only thing you do not mention, and I believe it is much more important is (whether you like it or not) English has been widely accepted throughout the globe as the International language for communication. Indeed even the Asean has chosen English as the language of choice for business communications.

So, as much as I think that foreigners living here should learn some Thai this is a far smaller, and issue then number then Thais that do not speak English.

Nothing to do with arrogance or imperialistic nonsense, it's just a fact that foreigners communicate to one another in English,, be it German to French, or Chinese to Italians,, English is the common language used.

It has been widely documented that Thailand is poor in it's English language skills and many other countries in Asia are far ahead, this is despite Thailand being the number 1 economy in the Asean which is also the fastest growing region in the World.

To be realistic, nobody is suddenly going to adopt Thai as the International language so if Thailand does not teach it's young generation English other countries (such as the Philippines which is far more proficient in the English language) will end up taking the roles in companies relying on international trade and even tourism. After all how can a company that relies on International trade make use of a young person who only speaks Thai nowadays, however gifted they may be? This logic can be extended to hotels, restaurants. police and even taxis.

Last point, it would be nice for people to learn Thai if they live here, on this I agree but it is only useful if you are planning to live here for the rest of your days as it has little value outside of Thailand.

Fantastic idea if like the UK you can go on to live permenenantly without the need for a Visa,not have to report to immigration like a criminal,claim free health care and social security and own land and property.

And also work your butt off for the rest of your days due to the horrendous cost of living there.

Does everyone living in England talk English.

Ridiculous post.

There will be exceptions but by and large yes they do, at least to some degree or another.

Because English is such an international language the UK is, in my opinion pretty poor at signs in any other language (maybe at Inernational airports and Central London it is better).

Also, everyone is talking about the UK but there are around 95 states (Sovereign and non sovereign) that recognise English as the first language and many that chose English as the second language.

Does everyone living in England talk English.

Ridiculous post.

There will be exceptions but by and large yes they do, at least to some degree or another.

I live in central London (Queensway). As I walk around the area, have drinks in local pubs and coffee shops, travel on the underground, walk through Kensington gardens, I hear hardly any conversations in English. They may very well be able to speak English, but they certainly don't use it much in conversation.

A lot of excuses for not learning Thai on this thread. If a five year old can do it, you can too.

It isn't that hard, you can learn the Thai script in about 2 weeks. Once you know the script you just pick it up. Thai writing is everywhere.

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I have to disagree with these statements.

At five years, a child is probably at the peak of their learning capacity. Think of it as an empty glass, waiting to be filled with experiences. Contrast that with a 70 year old, when the glass is full. Much less room for new learning.

Learn Thai script in two weeks? Get real. A language with 44 consonants, 24 vowels plus 4 special vowels and a silent vowel. Which provides no assistance by stringing the words together. It takes schoolkids at least two years to learn the Thai alphabet, and you are claiming two weeks?

I will be learning Thai for the rest of my life. While I'm reasonably competent in spoken Thai, I doubt I can ever master the written word.

And so on.

It is frustrating, you think you have got it, but then you forget again. But by doing it every hour it will sink in.

Once you have finished the constanants, find five words that use each vowel. Best to use words you already know.

Write them over and over. Every hour you are awake. As soon as you wake up, just before you sleep.

You will be reading like a 4 year old, very slowly, but you need to learn to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

Ps no spaces between words seems crazy, but after a while it looks normal. When you start writing sentences, put a space in. Later you can drop the spaces.

Dear Roomuck, I understand what you are saying; however, life at my age is a bit too short for hourly exercises in writing Thai. I do have better things to do with my time.

Possibly Thai is easier than English. Your repeated use of the misspelling "constanants" in place of consonants may be proof of that.

Possibly good learning advice; however, not all of us have your dedication.

You know when you read something stupid and your blood pressure goes up just thinking about how stupid this person who wrote it must be?

Having read this article again, I have to say with full confidence that this is the most stupid thing I read on Thai Visa.... ever.

Besides the obvious points I made in the previous post regarding citizenship and residency, one other thing that "Nina" (who must be Filipino due to her poor writing skills) forgot about is all those happy Thai Elite visa members which I am sure just can't wait to enroll in Thai language courses after securing a very expensive visa.bah.gif

I understand that there is a difference between someone writing a blog and and a book, but this getting published is a new low. Really.

You know when you read something stupid and your blood pressure goes up just thinking about how stupid this person who wrote it must be?

Having read this article again, I have to say with full confidence that this is the most stupid thing I read on Thai Visa.... ever.

Besides the obvious points I made in the previous post regarding citizenship and residency, one other thing that "Nina" (who must be Filipino due to her poor writing skills) forgot about is all those happy Thai Elite visa members which I am sure just can't wait to enroll in Thai language courses after securing a very expensive visa.bah.gif

I understand that there is a difference between someone writing a blog and and a book, but this getting published is a new low. Really.

My initial response, still held, is that the proposals in the article were IDIOTIC, but it's a really really high bar to suggest it's the stupidest thing ever posted on Thaivisa!

Come on, now, let's have some reality.

Personally, I don't think the article was ever serious, and instead it was meant simply to PROVOKEangry.png , with an undertone of irrational hostility towards "farangs" as the tit for tat with the U.K. was sloppily used as rationalization, while ignoring that things like retirement extensions are NOTHING like getting established residency in a nation like the U.K.

Of couse, DUH!, as many have noted, for actual residency in Thailand (so rare for "farangs", never mind the reasons why, say no more, wink wink nod nod) you already do need Thai language, and rightly so.

Nina ... don't hold your breath for that Pulitzer prize!

Why not just make everyone in Thailand speak English? Would be easier for the expats living here.

A very good solution.

The western neighbors do speak a bit more English, maybe they could do the traditional and colonize the country.

And so on.

Dear Roomuck, I understand what you are saying; however, life at my age is a bit too short for hourly exercises in writing Thai. I do have better things to do with my time.

Possibly Thai is easier than English. Your repeated use of the misspelling "constanants" in place of consonants may be proof of that.

Possibly good learning advice; however, not all of us have your dedication.

5555 I have always struggled with that word. Thanks for reminding me.

I think I better stick to Thai, my English has always been ordinary.

Hard language English.

So I guess you can't read Thai then.

"Most stupid thing I HAVE ever read on Thai visa" ??? I have told you a million times not to exaggerate.

If you live here you should learn the language IMO. Expecting Thais to learn your language is a bit rich IMO.

Being deaf, mute and illiterate would be frustrating IMO

Why not just make everyone in Thailand speak English? Would be easier for the expats living here.

A very good solution.
The western neighbors do speak a bit more English, maybe they could do the traditional and colonize the country.

Would better food and culture also... Good idea.

Sent from my c64

So I guess you can't read Thai then.

"Most stupid thing I HAVE ever read on Thai visa" ??? I have told you a million times not to exaggerate.

If you live here you should learn the language IMO. Expecting Thais to learn your language is a bit rich IMO.

Being deaf, mute and illiterate would be frustrating IMO

No, I can not read Thai, your point?

I speak 3 languages.

I am not expecting Thais to learn "my" language, where did you get this idea?

I am neither deaf, mute or illiterate. How about you?

Quite correct! Any real language teacher can verify the reality that age is an inhibiting factor in the aquisition of fluent spoken language. The ability to read script has little relevance in enunciation and especially in Thai script. Aptitude is as variable as dialectic conformity.Not from any intellectual limitation but from a fixed physical capacity.

Yes. Children can aquire fluency easily. Not because the mind is more open but because children are naturally developing vocal capacity physically and cerebally even in the "mother tongue". Accents and dialectic variation become a signiture even in a common language. Northern Thai struggle to understand southern and visa versa. BKK is a melting pot in the sense that it has acquired an accent that accomodates the general national influx.

Phrasebook and nominal greetings which many non Thai learn do not constitute fluency !

And as has been mentioned above Thai student children take years to learn the complexity of standard Thai script, if ever. Few ever learn the more formal additional script that also exists. And that may help explain the difficulty in getting consise translations of complex issues or legal documents.

A difficulty with Thai language is that accent effects comprehension because intonation is more critical than with Latin/ German/Greek based languages.

That plus a common lack willingness to comprehend or identify intended spoken meaning. Miming or hand gestures often achieve more!

Two weeks? A rare gift !

Quite correct! Any real language teacher can verify the reality that age is an inhibiting factor in the aquisition of fluent spoken language. The ability to read script has little relevance in enunciation and especially in Thai script. Aptitude is as variable as dialectic conformity.Not from any intellectual limitation but from a fixed physical capacity.

Yes. Children can aquire fluency easily. Not because the mind is more open but because children are naturally developing vocal capacity physically and cerebally even in the "mother tongue". Accents and dialectic variation become a signiture even in a common language. Northern Thai struggle to understand southern and visa versa. BKK is a melting pot in the sense that it has acquired an accent that accomodates the general national influx.

Phrasebook and nominal greetings which many non Thai learn do not constitute fluency !

And as has been mentioned above Thai student children take years to learn the complexity of standard Thai script, if ever. Few ever learn the more formal additional script that also exists. And that may help explain the difficulty in getting consise translations of complex issues or legal documents.

A difficulty with Thai language is that accent effects comprehension because intonation is more critical than with Latin/ German/Greek based languages.

That plus a common lack willingness to comprehend or identify intended spoken meaning. Miming or hand gestures often achieve more!

Two weeks? A rare gift !

You are correct.

I am not saying you will read easily after two weeks or be fluent. But you can read basic Thai like a five year old if you do what I suggest. It wasn't just me, it was everyone in my class, and then about ten others.

You have to crawl before you can walk.

Reading is easy, writing more difficult. Speaking is easy, but understanding Thais when they speak quickly and use slang is the hardest part IMO.

Reading, writing and speaking you have control over the speed, but when other people are talking, you don't.

I can actually read better than some tHais I have met, but they all comprehend conversation better than I do.

Two weeks? A rare gift !

You are correct.

I am not saying you will read easily after two weeks or be fluent. But you can read basic Thai like a five year old if you do what I suggest. It wasn't just me, it was everyone in my class, and then about ten others.

You have to crawl before you can walk.

Reading is easy, writing more difficult. Speaking is easy, but understanding Thais when they speak quickly and use slang is the hardest part IMO.

Reading, writing and speaking you have control over the speed, but when other people are talking, you don't.

I can actually read better than some tHais I have met, but they all comprehend conversation better than I do.

smile.png I have zero ability to read Thai script. I do however have a greater ability to understand spoken Thai language than I do in speaking it. I am semi fluent in Bahasa Indonesia and Portuguese but have a great difficulty in expressing Thai language to the comprehension of Thai listeners. Frustrating but have discovered many others with a similar limitation.

Reading or writing is a granted advantage. But despite that capacity at whatever level is not the same as vocal capacity that can be comprehended. It is that to which my comments are mostly related because verbal communication is the more fundamental requirement for anybody.

Thus any learned ability to read Thai script must essentially be also linked to a knowledge of the associated vocalization. Comprehension of script does not automatically infer vocal accuracy. My wife can affirm her amusement at my attempts at many words. What my brain hears and what my tongue issues are apparently unassociated !cheesy.gif

But genuine congratulations to you.smile.png

Archived