PromptPay Only for Thai Nationals

Given the government's enthusiasm for a cashless society, I had wondered whether PromptPay would be available for non-Thais, so I asked my bank, and they tell me it won't.

So, Thai people will have access to cheaper bank transfers. I just wonder how long it will be before they hike the cost of non-PromptPay transactions, treating foreigners as a milch cow, just has they have with ATM fees.

I use the Bangkok Bank and I only use their ATM's. As such I dont pay any fee. What are you doing that invites a fee? Using a card from another country maybe, that will take a fee but that is the same the world over.

I use the Bangkok Bank and I only use their ATM's. As such I dont pay any fee. What are you doing that invites a fee? Using a card from another country maybe, that will take a fee but that is the same the world over.

Bank transfers to different banks/other regions/same day transfers. All will be significantly cheaper with PromptPay.

Ok your info is wrong.

i am with Bangkok Bank and signed up to 'Promptpay' last week. Tied to my mobile phone nbr and bank account. You can only have one account tied to your Promptpay at one time. It doesnt really get going for a month or two, so not sure how helpful it will be, BUT YES FOREIGNERS ARE WELCOME.

Ok your info is wrong.

i am with Bangkok Bank and signed up to 'Promptpay' last week. Tied to my mobile phone nbr and bank account. You can only have one account tied to your Promptpay at one time. It doesnt really get going for a month or two, so not sure how helpful it will be, BUT YES FOREIGNERS ARE WELCOME.

How is that possible? The Bangkok Bank website reads:

"You can pre-register on 1 July 2016".

In other words, registration is not open yet.

Just for clarification, this is the email response I received from Krung Sri seems pretty unambiguous:

"Refer to your inquiry for PromptPay Service, we are sorry to inform you that PromptPay Service customer must have a Thai nationality and Thai residence."

Ok I really don't care what you believe--your choice.

I signed up last week and was actually asked by my bank manager if I'd like to join---ID, bank book and tel nbr--10mins max.

As I said no idea how useful it will be, but if asked to join, then why not.

So believe a website if you wish--once again your choice.

Just for clarification, this is the email response I received from Krung Sri seems pretty unambiguous:

"Refer to your inquiry for PromptPay Service, we are sorry to inform you that PromptPay Service customer must have a Thai nationality and Thai residence."

over the years some banks told me farangs are not allowed a bank account,interest payments ,current accounts,long term fixed savings accounts ,credit cards etc etc etc

next time im in the bank il ask for this and let u know how it goes ........but if they say no ,il ask for the manager and if he says no il move my businesses elsewhere

but he wont because ive gotten every financial product from thai banks ive ever asked them for.....

my money makes them money so its in both our best interests to keep me from moving bank ,you just need to talk to someone higher up imo .....

they usually have a bit more common sense than the brainless floor staff whose only vocabulary consists of " Mai Dai"

I sort of doubt it, but I wonder whether Apple will ever introduce ApplePay here. The introduced it in China earlier this year and already have in excess of 100 million users.

ApplePay is also very secure and requires no personal information to be exchanged between your device and the merchants, so it is also very safe.

Does it really matter? Why not just pay with your card or cash or online. Apple has a way to pay. So does Samsung. How many options do you really need to pay for something?

i choose something decentralised like bitcoin over anything controlled by banks ,samsung or even worse ,apple lol ............

I can't see how it's going to make any difference for transfer fees. By what I understand from BB, it's only a way to RECEIVE funds without giving any personal info as name / account number. All you'll have to give out is the bank's name and your registered phone number. Nothing to do with E-wallet

PromptPay is an alternative way to receive and transfer funds using your National ID number or mobile phone without needing to provide an account number.

Not same.

in China or HK and many another country not have fees holder ATM.

Given the government's enthusiasm for a cashless society, I had wondered whether PromptPay would be available for non-Thais, so I asked my bank, and they tell me it won't.

So, Thai people will have access to cheaper bank transfers. I just wonder how long it will be before they hike the cost of non-PromptPay transactions, treating foreigners as a milch cow, just has they have with ATM fees.

I guess it becouse system had cotroled and support Thai ID... so Why they need new software for used to your passport?

They do some start up for domestic.

Its us some system or seller do not sell if not have US adress.

;)

Ps

If you care about ATM fees why just not go to bank and not take money by POS terminal?

Edited by ardokano

Does it really matter? Why not just pay with your card or cash or online. Apple has a way to pay. So does Samsung. How many options do you really need to pay for something?

i choose something decentralised like bitcoin over anything controlled by banks ,samsung or even worse ,apple lol ............

Can I use something like bitcoin in Villa, Foodland, Central or Emquartier? 7 eleven or Familymart? Can I use it at Shell or PTT? For BTS or MRT?

To be fair, where can I use it in Bangkok?

Can I use something like bitcoin in Villa, Foodland, Central or Emquartier? 7 eleven or Familymart? Can I use it at Shell or PTT? For BTS or MRT?

To be fair, where can I use it in Bangkok?

Anywhere that takes visa/mastercard will take a Bitcoin debit card, 39 million locations globally but bkk is really a bad example as so many people running businesses only on cash and that's the way they seem to like it,probably cuts out things like keeping records, paying taxes and banking charges

In Singapore,Hong Kong and the West cards are accepted pretty much everywhere though

Thailand will obviously take decades to catch up with those nations

Regarding ApplePay: it's much more secure than using a card. You cannot be skimmed and no personal information is received by the merchant from the transaction, not even your name.

As well, I find it much easier and more convenient than fishing a card out of my wallet.

Regarding ApplePay: it's much more secure than using a card. You cannot be skimmed and no personal information is received by the merchant from the transaction, not even your name.

As well, I find it much easier and more convenient than fishing a card out of my wallet.

You get 6 months payment protection on your purchases, refund from visa for dodgy or undelivered goods, unauthorized charges or skimming can be easily reversed, flight tickets purchased via credit card come with $500,000 travel insurance free, .....

Also you need an iPhone which is a barrier for the ~3/4's of people who prefer to use android phones....

Oho, and you get 2% cashback using a credit card and many restaurants offer 15% off meals for paying by visa or mastercard

I don't really think the two are comparable tbh...

I believe there are 2 main ways to register for Promptpay once registration/ pre-registration is allowed by your bank:

1) Using your 13 digit Thai ID card. Most foreigners don't have this. So this won't be an option for them

2) Using your mobile phone number if your bank account is linked to a mobile phone number. This would be the likely option for foreigners.

How individual banks gear themselves around these 2 ways and their own processes/ procedures may obviously end up being a factor.

Myself I'm waiting to see exactly what is being offeredby each of my banks and considering it in the context of their overall services, as my understanding is that:

1) your ID card number if you have one can only be linked to one bank account across all banks

2) similarly your mobile number can only be linked to one bank across all banks

3) Promptpay can't be linked to joint accounts

So if your promptpay can only be used for one of your accounts across all banks, excluding joint accounts, then think carefully how it'll interact with your other finances and their terms/conditions.

BTW I don't pay any ATM/ bank transfer/ inter-region transfer fees with either of StanChart or TMB as things stand anyway.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

You get 6 months payment protection on your purchases, refund from visa for dodgy or undelivered goods, unauthorized charges or skimming can be easily reversed, flight tickets purchased via credit card come with $500,000 travel insurance free, .....

Also you need an iPhone which is a barrier for the ~3/4's of people who prefer to use android phones....

Oho, and you get 2% cashback using a credit card and many restaurants offer 15% off meals for paying by visa or mastercard

I don't really think the two are comparable tbh...

You still get the card benefits you listed above if you use ApplePay, since it is linked to your card and purchases are paid by your card. You can link any number of credit cards and use whichever you prefer when you make a purchase.

I do like the privacy aspect. Using a credit card, merchants can track you, your name, address and your purchases, and archive all of those data where hackers could potentially get it. Not when you use ApplePay. Also, if you have a reward card from a particular merchant, you can elect to send that information as well when you pay – another card you do not have to fish out of your wallet.

Sure, you have to have an iPhone and maybe not everyone likes ApplePay for whatever reason. Some do not like anything made by Apple. I just like the security, privacy and simplicity of it.

I have registered for PromptPay this morning at 01:46. I wasn't waiting to register, I happened to open my Bualuang online account to check on a payment I was awaiting and I was prompted to register for PromptPay. I did it with my mobile phone number, as I don't have a Thai ID card yet and it was accepted. So, it's for anyone... almost.

Edited by Dario

Promptpay is now available at the atm, I put my credit card in one tonight and it asked me if I want to register it to prompt pay

I clicked no until I read a bit more about it as I understand if I use my phone number on one bank account I may not be able to use the same number with other accounts etc...

I registered with Kbank with phone number. I got the confirmation email that also includes terms and conditions

Item 1. The User must be an individual, of Thai nationality, no less than 15 years old.

But the conditions are in English, so there you go. Seems they are not checking too closely.

I have registered for PromptPay this morning at 01:46. I wasn't waiting to register, I happened to open my Bualuang online account to check on a payment I was awaiting and I was prompted to register for PromptPay. I did it with my mobile phone number, as I don't have a Thai ID card yet and it was accepted. So, it's for anyone... almost.

Did the same this afternoon. Went onto online banking for the first time in awhile since I normally only use the mobile app. Got a popup message asking if I wanted to enroll. Just needed to enter my mobile number and the OTP I got by SMS. Then was informed I would get a SMS when it became available.

• 3 weeks later...