It’s official: Expats in Thailand are deliriously happy!

webfact

I guess when you thought you were a big a fish in a small pond, it comes as a shock to learn you're really a bottom feeder.

Most western foreigners working in Thailand appear (to me) to be 'bottom feeders'. If you are good at making money, the place to make it is in the west.

Thailand is a place to play after work is finished. (if you didn't make enough to play in the west)

Old-fashioned thinking. The idea of working your whole life for a reward few years before you die no longer appeals. Young professionals like to work hard and play hard, and Bangkok is a great place to do so.

It's interesting how unaware the older expats are of this demographic. I suspect you simple dismiss any farang under 40 you see as a backpacker.

Can you expand on your "old fashioned thinking"? 40 years old or young I suppose. Past my expiry date. How unaware am I? Things looked rosy before you posted.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess when you thought you were a big a fish in a small pond, it comes as a shock to learn you're really a bottom feeder.

Most western foreigners working in Thailand appear (to me) to be 'bottom feeders'. If you are good at making money, the place to make it is in the west.

Thailand is a place to play after work is finished. (if you didn't make enough to play in the west)

Old-fashioned thinking. The idea of working your whole life for a reward few years before you die no longer appeals. Young professionals like to work hard and play hard, and Bangkok is a great place to do so.

It's interesting how unaware the older expats are of this demographic. I suspect you simple dismiss any farang under 40 you see as a backpacker.

All my old friends in London (or their husbands) were looking for a 100,000+gbp bonus each year.

Some saved, some didn't, hardly any spent 'all their lives' working.

So you're in you mid 40s and not set for life?

No house in London, no investment portfolio, no corporate pension.

Too bad.

As for work hard, play hard, I preferred not to work at all and have someone else provide.

Men are so silly.

Yeah. Because you're a woman. Sure.

Average person earns 100k a month? What?? I must be in the wrong job then, I get half that, I know maybe 1 person here who earns 100k a month, what am I missing exactly?

You must missing a lot. I know a lot foreigners with over 100,000 Baht monthly payment. At the place I work are 5 of such guys, including me.

I know lots of foreigners earning 300 to 500 k month 100k/m is chicken feed...

We have Thai nationals working for us who make 200k/m min

The labourers on the factory floor earn 30k/m

Bullshit!

Not Bullshit in the least..its factual and true....Some farangs do actually have proper paying jobs in Thailand and have no need to hustle at the local "English school" for 25k to 30k/m to "live the dream"...sorry to shatter the urban myth that Thailand doesn't have well paying jobs for farang's...it does if you are needed and wanted for your skills and knowledge

I have been working in Thailand for the last 15 years in the heavy engineering sector and I earn about 35% more than I earned in the western countries I worked in which included both the UK and US.

Average person earns 100k a month? What?? I must be in the wrong job then, I get half that, I know maybe 1 person here who earns 100k a month, what am I missing exactly?

I have to agree with this. Perhaps a handful of farang teachers in pats earning in excess of 100k a month. The journos writing these articles are full of B.S...

what makes you think all farangs working in Thailand are teachers ? plenty of other farangs working in other industries who top 100k month plus easy

It is funny and sad at same time to see so many posts here written with grumpy old men or incompetent people with bad manners which spit all around good!!!

People which have difficulties here can blame themselves and way of life they have!

Most of us have nice life here without conflict!We are happy in Bkk,Pattaya,Chiang Mai,Phuket and no need to go to small village in Issan to be happy(I accept that some people like country life style better)!

I am really happy with my life here ,same as most foreigners I know!!!

Yes this forum is full of grumpy old men which can sometimes bring a bit of humour to the topic

I have noticed in my experience that the majority of people living in pattaya and the like, are people on smallish pensions (but still happy and a better life than they would have in their own country)

The life in Issan is very different (i stay in Surin) wonderful people and without the trappings and problems associated with living in the tourist areas. Having said that it can become very boring at times.

Its all about finding an equilibrium in your life and dependant on your life style. The grass is always greener on the other side as they say.

Having a family here brings a different type of happiness and still being able to travel and stay in different parts of thailand helps to give oneself a better outlook.

I consider myself lucky in that i can afford this easily on my meagre (as it seems) 85k a month from pension and investments and still a youthful 53 years old

If you come here and play the field because you think you can get away with it with your stay at home wife, you will eventually get burnt and lose, as a lot of people find out the hard way.

Temptation is a terrible thing, don't believe they don't know what you are up to.

I've been in and out of Thailand and SE Asia again since '02, first visit to sunny SE Asia was an expense paid vacation courtesy Uncle Sam's Misguided Children back in 1966/67. I still like Thailand although both Thailand and I have changed over the years. I freely admit that I came here for the women and the party. I said back in '04 that the influx of young guys with bad attitudes toward the ladies and were LDOP's (Lame Dupe Over Payer) would screw up Pattaya, I was right. As for you young guys, no, I don't think all of you are backpackers, I've met some I like, they were all Vets of Afghanistan/Iraq and like me thought it was screwed up deal from the git-go as was VN. I don't like the rich spoiled little brats that like to brag about being young and wealthy. I'm happy here, married now for 8 yrs to one of those women some of our posters so love to despise along with us sexpats. I'm not deliriously happy, what a load of bullcrap! No, I don't own a damn thing, all in my wife's name but I protect my ass. My truck will be in my name when it is paid off and I will have a usafruct when the house is paid off this year. I live here better than I ever could in the states and can get laid anytime I want and not with some old hag. I still have hair (well most of it...lol), a bit of out of shape from sitting in front of this damn computer too much, but am good to go. Cambodia is going downhill fast with all the barangs and ugly middle aged barang man hating women. Oh, my retirement is over 100,000 baht a month and I would be living on the catfood plan back in the states. Do I like the mods, here, better not answer that. Do I like the present "government" that has sent the army to occupy and search all homes in my wife's village, hell no I'm not answering that. Do I have insurance, you gotta' be kidding. Only if I go back to the states which I never plan on doing. The VA does cover some medical. I'm on the Republican health plan, if you get sick, die and die quick. This "survey" was complete crap. And now for those of you that think you are oh sooooo much better than us old sexpats, I'm going to pop a top.

I've been in and out of Thailand and SE Asia again since '02, first visit to sunny SE Asia was an expense paid vacation courtesy Uncle Sam's Misguided Children back in 1966/67. I still like Thailand although both Thailand and I have changed over the years. I freely admit that I came here for the women and the party. I said back in '04 that the influx of young guys with bad attitudes toward the ladies and were LDOP's (Lame Dupe Over Payer) would screw up Pattaya, I was right. As for you young guys, no, I don't think all of you are backpackers, I've met some I like, they were all Vets of Afghanistan/Iraq and like me thought it was screwed up deal from the git-go as was VN. I don't like the rich spoiled little brats that like to brag about being young and wealthy. I'm happy here, married now for 8 yrs to one of those women some of our posters so love to despise along with us sexpats. I'm not deliriously happy, what a load of bullcrap! No, I don't own a damn thing, all in my wife's name but I protect my ass. My truck will be in my name when it is paid off and I will have a usafruct when the house is paid off this year. I live here better than I ever could in the states and can get laid anytime I want and not with some old hag. I still have hair (well most of it...lol), a bit of out of shape from sitting in front of this damn computer too much, but am good to go. Cambodia is going downhill fast with all the barangs and ugly middle aged barang man hating women. Oh, my retirement is over 100,000 baht a month and I would be living on the catfood plan back in the states. Do I like the mods, here, better not answer that. Do I like the present "government" that has sent the army to occupy and search all homes in my wife's village, hell no I'm not answering that. Do I have insurance, you gotta' be kidding. Only if I go back to the states which I never plan on doing. The VA does cover some medical. I'm on the Republican health plan, if you get sick, die and die quick. This "survey" was complete crap. And now for those of you that think you are oh sooooo much better than us old sexpats, I'm going to pop a top.

Interesting post. Personal experience is always preferable to BS. The survey seems to be click bait. People are blaming Thais.

They love Thai visa news and mods to bits, a little strong i would say.

Yes Thai visa is a good informative site, but to say we love the mods O.T.T.

Google has some good info on the mods. LOL

What do you mean?

Google oh google were for art thou ?

Think of a search term you wish to look for and put it into google...

whistling.gif

Please feel free to go over to the Pub forum and fill in my newly created unofficial TV survey.

Open from today until July 17th or until the moderators close it down.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Rayk

If they are earning 100k a month in Pattaya they must be pimps

You do realize that 100 k per month is around 36K U.S. dollars per year. An ex-pat who is not making at least double that is an idiot. More likely to be making closer to 300k baht per month than 100k.

You do realize that 100 k per month is around 36K U.S. dollars per year. An ex-pat who is not making at least double that is an idiot. More likely to be making closer to 300k baht per month than 100k.

Doing what exactly?, the only jobs I heard of in that range were 4 star hotel management, not many doing that.

I don't live in Bangkok or Pattaya, but in Chiang Mai - and I love it! I used to live in Phuket but the foreigners and a lot of the Thai folk put me off. Here it is civilized and the freedom compared to the USA or Europe is wonderful. Great people too - foreign and, particularly, Thai. Immigration can be a pain but Utopia is just a dream.

Doing what exactly?, the only jobs I heard of in that range were 4 star hotel management, not many doing that.

In 2007 I was close. Things have gone down hill since then.

Jobs in Engineering, Eastern Seaboard, Japanese, Koreans, Western expats etc...and yes most making 300k plus month

International Engineering offices in BKK - same Asia/ Western expats - 300k to THB 1.0 mill/month dependent on the position.

time to get your head out the Thai sand....Expats in Thailand.... a lot more going one than "English Teachers" blagging 25k/m from a language school

What I don't understand is some of the howls of protest and calling BS on here when someone mentions 100k and above salaries (not that 100k is a big salary)

Did these posters think they were are big fish on their 30-100 k/m or actually think they were at the top of the shit pile in Thailand and the realization is they are actually little fish and near the bottom of the dung heap in the expat stakes in Thailand ?

Edited by Bunnychow

Jobs in Engineering, Eastern Seaboard, Japanese, Koreans, Western expats etc...and yes most making 300k plus month

International Engineering offices in BKK - same Asia/ Western expats - 300k to THB 1.0 mill/month dependent on the position.

time to get your head out the Thai sand....Expats in Thailand.... a lot more going one than "English Teachers" blagging 25k/m from a language school

What I don't understand is some of the howls of protest and calling BS on here when someone mentions 100k and above salaries (not that 100k is a big salary)

Did these posters think they were are big fish on their 30-100 k/m or actually think they were at the top of the shit pile in Thailand and the realization is they are actually little fish and near the bottom of the dung heap in the expat stakes in Thailand ?

1 mill a month? Couldn't spend that much without worrying what to spend it on. Got to go, the skipper tells me my yaught is leaving to catch the tide.

1 mill a month? Couldn't spend that much without worrying what to spend it on. Got to go, the skipper tells me my yaught is leaving to catch the tide.

Even at 1.0 million/month at the current exchange rates is USD 35k/m (USD 420k/year)...yes its a very good money, but even that's not really in the skipper/ private yacht league...at an income of Thb 12 million/year these people will be paying around 4.0 million in tax as well.

Even at 1.0 million/month at the current exchange rates is USD 35k/m (USD 420k/year)...yes its a very good money, but even that's not really in the skipper/ private yacht league...at an income of Thb 12 million/year these people will be paying around 4.0 million in tax as well.

I tell the skipper I will pay him tomorrow.

Standby ladies and gentlemen, anyone who now says anything remotely negative or critical about LoS is going to have this so called ' survey ' giggle.gif thrown in their face.

Coming from the most negative person, nah anti-Thai, I've ever seen in 12 years on this forum.

My buddy earns exactly 1 million a month and has a speedboat. Also an airplane.

They love Thai visa news and mods to bits, a little strong i would say.

Yes Thai visa is a good informative site, but to say we love the mods O.T.T.

Google has some good info on the mods. LOL

I never thought of googling that, most enlightening!

It is a forum. Mods moderate. Do you get upset if they delete a post? Decent info on important things, the rest is up for grabs.

If he needs any help spending it, tell him I'm his man...

Winnie

If he needs any help spending it, tell him I'm his man...

Winnie

Count me in as well. I am low maintenance.