Promptpay forced by SCB bank?

I heard from two Thais that promptpay is now automatically enabled / forced on accounts with SCB and a few other banks. They said it was in the Thai news and as a result quite a few Thais who don't want the government to big brother their money have closed their accounts and moved the funds to other banks.

Does anyone know more about this?

I personally do not trust the whole promptpay thing and the junta government getting access to data they should not have their fingers in.

Havent' heard of anyone being "forced" to enroll in PromptPay...nor automatic enrollment.  Now every ATM from various banks I've used over the last month or so hits you with PromptPay signup screens either at the beginning or ending of the ATM transaction you are doing.

Expect some folks have pushed the Yes button on those screens by mistake and signed themselves up....and didn't even notice they did it.  Ain't got a clue how you "unsign-up" if signing up by mistake.

Last thing I remember are the popups after login to internet banking.

As far as I remember I checked the "leave me alone" box and that was it.

I have not registered willingly.

From their website:
http://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/promptpay

*The registration is free of charge. This is a voluntary option. Changes or cancellations of the service regarding the registration can be made at any time simply inform the bank issuing the account. The changes and cancellations are made for free.

Just logged in to Bangkok Bank.

Popup.

Selected "Not now" and that should it be for now.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Not enforced, you may use it if you want. I don't see a point as it is still not possible to pay electricity or water bills outside Bangkok without going to a convenience store or PEA/water office. Correct me if I'm wrong.

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Has anyone understood whether this is usable for foreigners at all? (bound to mobile phone number?).

What sense would it make?

It is supposed to be possible to use it bound to your mobile number.

For Thai people it is bound to their ID number.

I haven't, so far signed up to it or replaced my old style bank card for a chipped one. Some branches suggest that a foreigner can't enable prompt pay.

also the SCB iPad app will no longer work (v1.0.90)as it hasn't been updated, you have to use the iPhone app which is version 2.2.0

Also you can only have the app on 3 devices (iPad and or iPhone) connected to your account, and logins use a 6 digit pin not password and username.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
Additional information

In what way is PromptPay different from direct debit?

A foreigner can easily set up direct debit for all household bills and credit cards, etc through a Thai bank account, anywhere in Thailand (not just in Bangkok).

1 hour ago, KhunOr said:

I think the difference is that   Promtpay  is for  one off payments   and you are controlling the payment

direct debit is setup and forget  until you go overdrawn.

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

What sense would it make?

A Thai friend of my wife said she had activated  Promtpay via linking to her phone number

don't see any reason why it should be different for a foreigner with  Thai bank and mobile number, though I'm sticking to the old method   where they just send  activation  passwords to the phone.

Edited by johng

21 hours ago, MadMac said:

Not enforced, you may use it if you want. I don't see a point as it is still not possible to pay electricity or water bills outside Bangkok without going to a convenience store or PEA/water office. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Mpay and Airpay apps you can pay PEA bills (and a ton of other bills) with a few taps.

9 hours ago, KhunOr said:

A foreigner can easily set up direct debit for all household bills and credit cards, etc through a Thai bank account, anywhere in Thailand (not just in Bangkok).

You can pay the electric bill through online banking?  Is the vendor PEA or an intermediate like with my home internet bill?  Would love to pay it online through either KTB or BKK Bank.  Please advise, thanks.

Edited by csabo

I seem to be getting bombarded with messages about this promptpay by Bangkok Bank too, each time I use an ATM there seems to be an extra step before they will give me my card back asking me to say yes to it. 

Happy with things as they are...

The company that " take  care" of the system/data seems to be called ITMX. The shareholders of this company would seem to be the local Thai banks.

number 9 on terms and conditions when signing up is

The Applicant agrees and gives consents to the Bank to collect, gather, use, disclose or give part or entire information of the Applicant to the Service Provider’s PromptPay
Registration System and/or the mobile phone operator and/or other person relating to the engagement of PromptPay service to the Applicant as necessary. In this regard, the
Applicant accepts that the Bank has no liability for any damage caused by error, delay, or defect of the computer system and/or the act of the Service Provider’s PromptPay
Registration System and/or the mobile phone operator and/or any other person in any respect.

If the banks have no liability for hacking/security. Then legally how would you stand with this company whose shareholders are none other than (you guessed it) the local banks ??!!

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/efunds-ibm-infomax-team-with-itmx-bring-thailand-one-step-closer-cashless-society-nyse-efd-630393.htm

On 20 August 2016 at 0:20 PM, KhunOr said:

Direct debit: the company you pay controls how much you pay and they have your bank information.

PromptPay: you control how much you pay and the person you pay does not have your bank information. 

Different enough for you?

On 8/20/2016 at 9:36 PM, csabo said:

You can pay the electric bill through online banking?  Is the vendor PEA or an intermediate like with my home internet bill?  Would love to pay it online through either KTB or BKK Bank.  Please advise, thanks.

I pay my PEA and house telephone bills through KTB via a direct debit, which is so useful - set it and forget it. This is not the same as 'paying it online' which implies conducting payments manually through online banking.

SCB's PromptPay page...

Registration is free on a voluntary basis.

I think the government would like to transition from a cash-based society to cashless, which might make it easier to track cash flows, especially to identify tax avoidance, and target political opponents. PromptPay makes it a bit easier to link cash flows between individuals by linking in the Thai ID number, saving a few steps and potentially avoiding any pesky court orders.

Edited by mtls2005

6 hours ago, KhunOr said:

I pay my PEA and house telephone bills through KTB via a direct debit, which is so useful - set it and forget it. This is not the same as 'paying it online' which implies conducting payments manually through online banking.

Could you briefly explain how one sets up the direct debit?

Do I need to go to the water utility office to set it up?