Streaming computer signal to TV?

Kenny202

Just got access to Netflix on my PC and wondering of there is an easy way to send my computer video / audio wirelessly to the TV without hard connecting the PC to the TV.

Is there something like Apple TV but cheap? 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/adapters/wireless-display-adapter-2/p3q-00001

When they work, these are great. I have 2 laptops, a dell thats works great and an acer that it doesnt work. you need window10.

Banana IT sells them

Edited by Peterw42

Hmmm, I have several 3TB hard disks with documentaries, films and stuff at home. We have 2 laptops that are connected to 2 TVs via HDMI. I tried using wireless from my main laptop where the hard disks are to the second laptop and watch films. It works OK up to 2 GB file size but not much more than that to be honest , 100 MB connection. I switched to cable and I can watch easily watch my 10 GB films now

Most of my films are 4 GB up so wireless is not a viable option for me

I wouldn't go looking for wireless connections unless I really need to move the stuff around

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

The OP is talking about sending to a television, not a laptop. laptop to laptop is windows networking or a client server setup.

Yes, I know. That's why I state the connection speed I *should* get. Point is that a 100MBit connection should be more than enough but it is not. If the OP has a big TV and wants high quality, then my experience is that wireless is not good enough

Just now, MikeyIdea said:

Yes, I know. That's why I state the connection speed I *should* get. Point is that a 100MBit connection should be more than enough but it is not. If the OP has a big TV and wants high quality, then my experience is that wireless is not good enough

I stream movies all over the house using wifi, trying to think why you would be having problems. If you think about it a movie streaming from the internet is much slower than 100 MB and that works. are you using the cast to feature in windows, or a dlna server setup ?

Just now, Peterw42 said:

I stream movies all over the house using wifi, trying to think why you would be having problems. If you think about it a movie streaming from the internet is much slower than 100 MB and that works. are you using the cast to feature in windows, or a dlna server setup ?

I have a 60" TV so I often download 8 GB sized films. Works OK if it is near but it quickly degrades. If file size is big then picture freezes sometimes, not smooth. A few walls between or upstairs and it's a no-no with more than a few GB file size. I work in the IS department of a multi national in Bangkok, I set up a standard TCP/IP

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Not really interested in speed or blue ray quality so much. Interested in hardware that I can send a signal wirelessly from my Macbook to the TV

Thats apple TV

I'm streaming simple you tube stuff, Netflicks, 2gb movies etc. Mikeyidea.....I'm after hardware ideas?

Apple TV is really expensive here. It's around $100 in Australia. Looks to be around at least $200 here and upwards for newer versions

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I'm streaming simple you tube stuff, Netflicks, 2gb movies etc. Mikeyidea.....I'm after hardware ideas?

Apple TV is really expensive here. It's around $100 in Australia. Looks to be around at least $200 here and upwards for newer versions

You could buy a $50 android box and connect it to your TV, and send to that

5 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

I have a 55" Smart TV which I can connect to my home/wifi network. My PC is cabled to the home network.

No trouble streaming from my PC using Serviio media server application (free and very easy to use) and receiving using the Smart TV Media app. that came with the TV.

Minimum additional requirement is your TV to have wifi and "Media Centre" app with compatible formats to those files you want to stream from your pc.

It would help if you could provide a few more details as there may be hundreds of solutions.

make/model of TV; is it smart? does it have ethernet or wifi, does it have HDMI, is it HD capable

you have internet access, obviously, do you have a wifi capable device; is the internet router close to the TV

do you have to use a VPN to gain access to the desired content

do you have a smartphone, on which you can run the Netflix app

I assume the netflix runs acceptably on your pc now?

Assuming you have wifi, and the tv is not close to the router, and the tv supports hdmi, then a simple android device (stick, chromecast, android box) might be the simplest solution.

Chromecast has a native NEtflix app, imports available here for ~ 2,000-2,300 THB. Other similar sticks are available for as little as 700-1,000 THB. A simple Android box, which can do a lot more, can be had for as little as 1,200-1,500 THB.

With an android box you can download and run any PlayStore apps., so you can use the Netflix app on your android box, along with an airmouse. Or use a msartphone running the app as a tv guide/remote.

I don't think you'll be able to get 1080p netflix, not that it's necessary, unless you have the proper kit; the device needs to be "certified" by netflix, so CHrome only supports 720p, while MS Edge supports 1080p.

Edited by mtls2005

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

How does the firestick work? Plug the USB dongle into the TV? My TV has a USB port. 

It's not USB it's HDMI so you have to have an HDMI port on your television set, and you plug the Fire Stick directly into that. Once there you use the remote control to log the Fire stick into your home WiFi network. I prefer Roku as it doesn't (although it can) use WiFi - there's an RJ-45 port to connect to your router with an Ethernet cable, and then you connect the Roku to the TV with an HDMI cable

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

26 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It would help if you could provide a few more details as there may be hundreds of solutions.

make/model of TV; is it smart? does it have ethernet or wifi, does it have HDMI, is it HD capable

you have internet access, obviously, do you have a wifi capable device; is the internet router close to the TV

do you have to use a VPN to gain access to the desired content

do you have a smartphone, on which you can run the Netflix app

I assume the netflix runs acceptably on your pc now?

Assuming you have wifi, and the tv is not close to the router, and the tv supports hdmi, then a simple android device (stick, chromecast, android box) might be the simplest solution.

Chromecast has a native NEtflix app, imports available here for ~ 2,000-2,300 THB. Other similar sticks are available for as little as 700-1,000 THB. A simple Android box, which can do a lot more, can be had for as little as 1,200-1,500 THB.

With an android box you can download and run any PlayStore apps., so you can use the Netflix app on your android box, along with an airmouse. Or use a msartphone running the app as a tv guide/remote.

I don't think you'll be able to get 1080p netflix, not that it's necessary, unless you have the proper kit; the device needs to be "certified" by netflix, so CHrome only supports 720p, while MS Edge supports 1080p.

Its a relatively newer TV but not a smart TV ie internet / bluetooth / wireless. If that was the case wouldn't need a transmitter. Sorry didn't get a smart TV now. Its a Samsung 48" LED. The TV is about 5 metres from the router. Pretty clear view ie no walls. My PC is a Macbook. I assume when you say support Netflicks means you can control / select movies using the remote? To be honest happy to control everything from the PC. All I want is to be able to see the Macbook screen on the TV. Would be good to control from the TV if possible but don't want to pay big bucks

26 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Just now, SaintLouisBlues said:

It's not USB it's HDMI so you have to have an HDMI port on your television set. Once there you use the remote control to log the Fire stick into your home WiFi network. I prefer Roku as it doesn't (although it can) use WiFi - there's an RJ-45 port to connect to your router with an Ethernet cable

Yes I have HDMI ports on my TV. Where does the USB stick plug in?

16 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

All I want is to be able to see the Macbook screen on the TV. Would be good to control from the TV if possible but don't want to pay big bucks

HDMI cable (200 baht) from MacBook to TV. Wireless mouse and keyboard by your chair (logitec 700 baht). Done.

All I want is to be able to see the Macbook screen on the TV. 

Again if you provide details you may get viable solutions. More detail is good.

The make/model of the TV? VGA out from the macbook to the tv is simple?

Do you need to run a VPN to access the desired content?

What's your budget?

A more elegant solution would be an Android device (stick, or box) which connects via HDMI, and use wifi. An Android box, even a budget model, has a lot of features: 2/3 USB, uSD, wifi/bluetooth, ir, more apps., than a stick.

Again, there are hundreds of options, ranging from a few hundred baht, up to 5,000 THB.

The hardwire option no good for me. I have an older Macbook (2009) and the HDMI adaptor only takes video out which means I need to run Audio cables too. Not a big problem and done it before but looking for a better solution.

VPN? Not 100% sure what you mean but if you are talking about a third party web so it appears Im not viewing from Thailand, no I don't use a VPN.

Seems to me wirelessly there are 2 options. Some sort of mirroring device which simply wirelessly runs my macbook screen to the TV screen or a fully netflix ready set up like Apple TV or Chromecast.

Apple TV seems to be the ultimate but like I said a bit more than I want to pay. It wont simply be Netflix either infact probably more U tube and movies I have on my hard drive so netflix capabillity not essential for me though would be handy.

I think firstly if someone can direct me to a simple cheap mirroring device I can simply send my PC screen to the TV? And where would I buy something like this? Lazada?

Opinions on this one? Had a look at the you tube video. Looks like will do everything I want virtually turning the TV into a smart TV. Looks like you can google, Netflix, you tube etc. Looks like a stand alone wireless unit works straight from the router but not sure if I can stream from my PC to this device

Again it helps if you provide as much detail as possible, and attempt to answer questions.

Do you have a smartphone? If yes, what is the make and model?

That Lazada item is an Android stick. Using a Chrome browser, with a Google cast extension you should be able to stream what you see in a browser, like Netflix. You can use a free or paid app to stream other content on your macbook (Airflow, for example).

Are you using Netflix/Thailand?

Good luck.

19 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Again it helps if you provide as much detail as possible, and attempt to answer questions.

Do you have a smartphone? If yes, what is the make and model?

That Lazada item is an Android stick. Using a Chrome browser, with a Google cast extension you should be able to stream what you see in a browser, like Netflix. You can use a free or paid app to stream other content on your macbook (Airflow, for example).

Are you using Netflix/Thailand?

Good luck.

Its netflix from Australia actually. My son got it and nominated me as a user. I was sure I wouldn't be able to use it here but no problems. I have a Samsung Note 3. I don't know why thats relevant but if it makes you happy :-)

I really like the look of this smart box. Looks similar to Apple TV with built ins. Not sure if I can stream from my PC though