Retirement visa without proof of state pension

I am a UK resident and over 50 but not yet of pensionable age. How do a apply for a Thai retirement visa? The consulate in Hull told me they can no longer help but felt that I would need to go through the Thai Embassy in London and apply for a Non-Immigrant O-A. Is this correct? Also, is it possible to apply for the O-A visa in Bangkok and if so, what type of visa would I need to enter Thailand? (The Hull Consulate did not think I could apply for the O-A on the strength of a tourist visa.) 

Don't know about an O-A visa but you can certainly come to Thailand on a tourist visa then convert that into a 90 day non O once you're here. Then you can get an extension based on retirement from that. You would have to supply proof that you would qualify for that extension in order to get the tourist visa changed to non O.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What you were asking for at the Hull consulate would of been a non-o visa for being 50 or over. You cannot get one in the UK without being 65 or over and getting a pension. The only visa that you can get based upon retirement is a OA visa from the embassy in London. See here for the requirements. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

You could obtain a single entry tourist visa and then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa ( category O ) entry at some immigration offices. You could apply for it at any time during the 60 day entry from  the tourist visa up to the last 15 days of it. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would  need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

ubonjoe... Just read your post above. Would the part I have highlighted in bold still apply to applying for Non 'O' in Vientiane? Or am I OK just going a few days before expiry?

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for it at any time during the 60 day entry from  the tourist visa up to the last 15 days of it.

4 minutes ago, phetphet said:

ubonjoe... Just read your post above. Would the part I have highlighted in bold still apply to applying for Non 'O' in Vientiane? Or am I OK just going a few days before expiry?

That is only for applying for the visa at immigration. If you leave the country for a visa your entry ends on the date you leave the country so there could not  be a 15 day rule at an embassy or consulate.

• Like 1

They will issue a single entry Non Imm O Visa for those over 50, not in receipt of a State Pension, (proof of funds required), no Thai wife or family, but intend to retire in Thailand. That is sufficient time to meet the requirements for obtaining an extension based on retirement from local Immigration.

4 minutes ago, Faz said:

They will issue a single entry Non Imm O Visa for those over 50, not in receipt of a State Pension, (proof of funds required), no Thai wife or family, but intend to retire in Thailand. That is sufficient time to meet the requirements for obtaining an extension based on retirement from local Immigration.

They stopped issuing single entry non-o visas in the UK unless over 65 and getting a pension some time ago. Many reports of people not being able to get them.

• Like 1

As a British passport holder I entered Thailand on the 30 day visa exempt, then went to Immigration in Bangkok and got a non-o visa.  Just before this expired, applied for extension to stay based on retirement, This last part was done at Nan. Absolutely no problems. Best wishes.

• Like 2

Chip73, where would you be doing a "conversion" of a tourist visa to a non-immigrant O visa for retirement? 

Chiang Mai has different "rules" for conversions than Bangkok.  The primary one being that you have to have 21 days remaining on your entry and you have to make an appointment at CM Immigration for the conversion.  Also, you'll need proof that your landlord or owner of your guesthouse,etc has filed the TM30 form for you.  CM Immigration isn't very forthcoming with information and many applicants become frustrated and end up either using agents or find themselves frozen out unable to obtain an appointment and/or told their documents aren't in order and end up going to Vientiane applying for an O visa there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What you were asking for at the Hull consulate would of been a non-o visa for being 50 or over. You cannot get one in the UK without being 65 or over and getting a pension. The only visa that you can get based upon retirement is a OA visa from the embassy in London. See here for the requirements. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

You could obtain a single entry tourist visa and then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa ( category O ) entry at some immigration offices. You could apply for it at any time during the 60 day entry from  the tourist visa up to the last 15 days of it. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would  need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

Ubonjoe, you mention 800.000 in bank account or  65.000 income. Just so I understand correct, if you don't have the 800.000 is it then enough if you have 65.000 or more monthly pension?

8 minutes ago, Michael8511 said:

You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

8 minutes ago, Michael8511 said:

Ubonjoe, you mention 800.000 in bank account or  65.000 income. Just so I understand correct, if you don't have the 800.000 is it then enough if you have 65.000 or more monthly pension?

It is either one not both. If you can prove an income of 65k baht or more you can apply for the extension. It can be any income earned abroad not only pension income.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HHTel said:

That is for non-oa multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entry entries for a year from the date  of issue.

From this page. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Non-Immigrant Type O

Birth Certificate (applicant's child)

Certificate of Marriage or its equivalents (if married to Thai national)

a copy of marriage certificate,a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 anuually.)

An official recommendation letter from organization perform voluntary job in Thailand (for volunteer job)

Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner.

Many thanks for all the helpful replies! I am a little surprised that several of you suggest the Non - O as according to the embassy website, this is for retirement WITH state pension. Ideally, I would like to apply in Thailand (Chiang Mai if possible) and it seems from what some of you say that I CAN enter on a single-entry tourist visa or even a visa waiver. Does anyone have actual recent experience of this - I would hate to find it would have been easier to sort out while I was in the UK after all? Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Chip73 said:

Many thanks for all the helpful replies! I am a little surprised that several of you suggest the Non - O as according to the embassy website, this is for retirement WITH state pension. Ideally, I would like to apply in Thailand (Chiang Mai if possible) and it seems from what some of you say that I CAN enter on a single-entry tourist visa or even a visa waiver. Does anyone have actual recent experience of this - I would hate to find it would have been easier to sort out while I was in the UK after all? Cheers.

Let me try to clear up the confusion:

• To get a Non O visa (for retirement) in the UK, you must be in receipt of a state pension. This rule applies only to the UK, and other countries have no equivalent.
  • Several countries neighboring Thailand allow you to apply for a single entry Non O visa with the intention of applying for an extension of stay for retirement. You, of course, would need to do this after your arrival in the region.
  • There are ways to convert a tourist entry into a 90 day non immigrant entry (essentially a Non O) from within Thailand.

The confusion is mostly caused by people who are unaware of the UK's special rules, or confusing visas, entries, and extensions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chip73 said:

You have the choice of the OA visa from the embassy. More paperwork than other options prior to leaving but you can get almost 2 years of total stay from it.

Your next best option is get a single entry tourist visa that would give you plenty of time to do the change to a non immigrant visa entry here.

The 30 day visa exempt entry would give very little time to do it without applying for a 30 day extension of it. Plus without a visa for entry you may asked to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival to board your flight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Let me try to clear up the confusion:

• To get a Non O visa (for retirement) in the UK, you must be in receipt of a state pension. This rule applies only to the UK, and other countries have no equivalent.
  • Several countries neighboring Thailand allow you to apply for a single entry Non O visa with the intention of applying for an extension of stay for retirement. You, of course, would need to do this after your arrival in the region.
  • There are ways to convert a tourist entry into a 90 day non immigrant entry (essentially a Non O) from within Thailand.

The confusion is mostly caused by people who are unaware of the UK's special rules, or confusing visas, entries, and extensions.

But be aware, if you apply in neighbouring countries to Thailand, some places, (definitely Penang) may require a "proof of income" letter from the UK Embassy in Bangkok.

TIP: Before booking trip to any neighbouring country for Thai visa, check national holidays of that country AND Thai national holidays, as embassy or consulate may be closed on those days. As I recently found out after booking, and having to change flight dates. :-(

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The above is exactly what I did........pain in the bum, but got there in the end..and once you have your first retirement visa, as long as you keep the 800k untouched for 60 days before renewal, its never a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Where is it from and how old is it.

Liverpool Consulate, April 2016.

My mate is 63 and got his 90 day Non Imm there in April this year.

I'd seen it before but asked my mate to pick up a copy because that information isn't on any websites.

Edinburgh also follow the same guidance, which is issued from the Embassy.

Hull is a different kettle of fish, as far as I know they can still only issue TV's. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

The above is exactly what I did........pain in the bum, but got there in the end..and once you have your first retirement visa, as long as you keep the 800k untouched for 60 days before renewal, its never a problem.

It will be a problem unless the money is in the bank for at least 3 months.

5 hours ago, Faz said:

I am not of retirement age, not in receipt of a State Pension but over 50.

I was issued a single entry Non Imm O Visa, after showing proof of funds, because of my intention to retire in Thailand.......ok, that was over 2 years ago, but they were still issuing them under the same circumstances as late as April this year.

Maybe those who were refused couldn't show either the equivalent of 800,000 baht in a UK bank, or an income equivalent to 65,000 baht per month, from any source of income, be it, Private Pension, Investments or Property Rental.

This is a copy of their internal Information leaflet for applicants (not available on their website).

Read the 5th paragraph, from the sentence starting; For a single entry, 90 day, Non Immigrant Visa.................

... snip ...

Thank you. That is very interesting information. It contradicts many other reports, but I believe you.