Yet another shopping for Android phone thread!

Jingthing

6 hours ago, Xircal said:

Samsung Galaxy J5 (2016) vs J7 (2016) review. I just bought the J5.

Save yourself the troubles , Jingthing don't want to buy a Samsung model . :rolleyes:   

Just like I will never buy an iPhone.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 02/10/2016 at 3:40 AM, Scotwight said:

Refurbished Note 4 does all you want and more and has removable battery.

You have to be careful with refurbished phones. Firstly the battery is past its best, secondly if it was originally issued to the USA market the frequency bands for 4G may not work elsewhere, there may also be restrictions the USA  carrier has put into the software, like no tethering or wiFi hotspot.

I'd like to look at the MOTO brand phones (now part of Lenovo) and I think they are only for sale at True Move shops. I'm aware of their shop at Big C Pattaya Klang. Is there one in South Pattaya? Also, is there an issue buying a phone from True when you use an AIS sim card? 

another vote (my wife's) for the Samsung J5 (2016 version 2 = an upgrade from 16GB to 32 GB storage). she paid approx 7,600 baht at a local store, in our village,.

She wants a phone which is as simple-to-use as possible (having come off one of those pieces of crap TRUE phone she wasted 999 baht on, 3 months ago. Pity it is too small to be used as a boat anchor.)

A significant reason for choosing - is that her friend has a J7 and she can turn to her for any help she may need; 

They say that the J5 (2015) model is almost as good. Does anyone have experience with this earlier model? If so, does it have the option of upgrading to Marshmallow OS? Tks.

On 10/5/2016 at 1:22 PM, Jingthing said:

I started feeling the finger thing was a must, but now I'm more flexible.  What Zenfone model? 

When I bought mine almost a year ago, it was their ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser, a 5.5-inch model that I bought from ITrueMart online new for about 5000b.

PS0841.jpg

Since then, they've come out with the Zenfone 3 Laser series. They also introduced the Max version, which has a larger battery size/life.

Here's the ASUS Global website for their Zenfone 3 Laser series:

https://www.asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-3-Laser-ZC551KL/

And their broader ZenFone line, including the Zenfone 2 Laser and Max series:

https://www.asus.com/Phone/

PS - Before ASUS launched the Laser series, they had an older series of phones with older OS's like Kitkat that were simply titled Zenfone 3, 4, 5, etc. I believe some folks above have mentioned having those models. A lot of those also seem to be based on Intel Atom chipsets, which I'm not sure would be my preference for an Android smartphone. The Laser series instead use the more familiar Snapdragon processors.

Another vote for the Asus. I've just bought an Asus Zenfone Go TV, 4,800 baht from Lazada. 5.5in screen, 32 gb internal memory plus SD card, removable battery (take note Samsung). It's very fast, lovely screen with TV on the go. What more can you want. I use it more now than my 20,000 baht Samsung.

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

Believe it or not, I'm still shopping for a new Android phone!

OK, I admit it, I enjoy the shopping phase, maybe a little too much.

Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down to three top choices. All with pros and cons.

Asus Zenfone 3 Max

Vivo V3

and this last one, which I think would be "it" IF I can locate the VR viewing device.

Lenovo K5 Note (Vibe)

The Lenovo is a phablet that has everything I want (though screen too big and not Gorilla glass though none of the choices have Gorilla glass) but it's got something extra that sounds really great to me.

HOWEVER, I haven't yet located a place in Pattaya or even on Lazada that sells the VR viewer. The thing is for the K5 it's not only about viewing VR content (which it's very limited) but ANY video!

It's called THEATERMAX. 

Phone specs:

http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_k5_note-7878.php

Edited by Jingthing

The strange thing is that this Theatermax is not reviewed by any well known gadget reviewer/publisher that I can find with a Goggle search, but mainly Indian ones? Odd.  

I think 5.5" phones are near perfect in size, I use a belt pouch.

That thing is likely very good when gaming but watching a movie? But off-course not tried it out, but I like my 55" 4k TV.

The Indian reviews I've read on the theatermax have been glowing. That's good enough for me. It's supposed to be the same experience as in a large screen cinema. I can see using it for certain kinds of movies. The kind that are much better in a cinema. The phone is decent enough without that feature but probably won't buy if I can't get the viewer. Possibly even with the viewer may not even use it much but worse case still have a decent mobile.

Been to two Pattaya vendors so far that sell the K5 and neither has even heard about the viewer. Yes weird.

Oops. I meant to say most people change their phones about every two years so not worried buying something that would be obsolete in 10 years!

Anyway ... getting warmer.

Found a vendor that USED to sell the Lenovo K5 Note and the viewer (and game controller). Don't really care about the game controller but I think the viewer and that probably come as a set.

Anyway, the vendor said he had watched movies with the viewer and he said, yes it was very good viewing BUT it made his eyes hurt! Possible red flag there. Might be something fun to use for 10 minutes but not for 2 hours.

Anyway, I'm still looking. I don't care massively but at least I want to see if I can locate the item. 

To add, if the Lenovo K5 note doesn't  work out for me, the Vivo V3 will probably be it. Currently sold for 7500 baht including tempered glass cover, selfie stick (big deal), and small SD card. What sells the V3 for me is it's remarkable speed, it's very highly praised fingerprint scanner, and it's relatively high amount of storage for it's price range. Not full HD screen though. I still like the Huawei P9 Lite but overall won't buy it. 

For those looking for a decent BUDGET phone, the Lenovo K5 Plus (ironically not so plus) might be worth looking at, but I've rejected it as too low end for me. 

Edited by Jingthing

How about UMI Super? Check it out at gearbest, no dealers in Thailand that I know of.

It got full HD and I am very happy with mine, the usbC is charging really fast.

Only thing to complain about it the weight, slightly heavy but it doesn't bother me and I like the 4000ah battery, last a long time.

I paid 200$, free shipping and no import tax.

If it breaks down, I bin it if no local shop can fix it. Anyway at that price I plan to change it out after app 2 years.

4 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

How about UMI Super? Check it out at gearbest, no dealers in Thailand that I know of.

In the past week, there was a MAJOR security warning that was reported in the New York Times first, and then widely elsewhere afterward, about malware installed by Chinese Android phone manufacturers on phones built for the Chinese market that secretly sends all kinds of personal information from the phones to the tracking company, on an ongoing basis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/politics/china-phones-software-security.html?_r=0

The issue became big news in the U.S. because apparently, the Chinese manufacturer of U.S. brand BLU's popular R1 HD phones sold by Amazon in the U.S. market had installed the malware on more than 100,000 BLU phones sold in the U.S.  -- without telling BLU or buyers of its phones, of course.

When the malware was accidentally discovered on the BLU phones by U.S. security researchers, the response of the Chinese malware company explained and apologized by saying their software was ONLY intended for Chinese market phones, and had been installed on the BLU U.S. phones by mistake. BLU subsequently pushed out an OTA update removing the malware.

But, what was interesting is the U.S. arms of Chinese manufacturers like Huawei and ZTE quickly issued statements insisting that their phones in the U.S. market did not have and never had had this malware. But, they didn't deny that their phones made by the Chinese market DID and DO have it.

What does the malware do?

Kryptowire, the security firm that discovered the vulnerability, said the Adups software transmitted the full contents of text messages, contact lists, call logs, location information and other data to a Chinese server.

Not one or twice, but an ongoing, daily or even hours basis.

And as for the Chinese phone manufacturers:

According to its website, Adups provides software to two of the largest cellphone manufacturers in the world, ZTE and Huawei. Both are based in China.

The software was written at the request of an unidentified Chinese manufacturer that wanted the ability to store [customers'] call logs, text messages and other data, according to the Adups document. Adups said the Chinese company used the data for customer support.

Ms. Lim said the software was intended to help the Chinese client identify junk text messages and calls. She did not identify the company that requested it and said she did not know how many phones were affected. She said phone companies, not Adups, were responsible for disclosing privacy policies to users. “Adups was just there to provide functionality that the phone distributor asked for,” she said.

So, all in all, I'd be VERY WARY of purchasing an Android phone intended for the Chinese market from any of the Chinese phone manufacturers -- unless of course you don't mind some shady company in China reading your text messages, seeing your full Contacts list, all your Contacts info, etc etc.

No I don't mind some company in China reads my test messages/contact lists etc, I am pretty sure they will bored to death pretty quickly if they did and I don't do any e-net banking on my phones, never.

My UMI don't have any Chinese apps pre-loaded, so I am not so sure its intended for the Chinese market.

Only way to be sure nobody is watching is to stay completely off the grid, hell even when using an ATM machine anywhere in the World you are basically on-line, so you should really use a good old bankbook when withdrawing money or perhaps keep the money under the pillow, ha-ha.

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

No I don't mind some company in China reads my test messages/contact lists etc, I am pretty sure they will bored to death pretty quickly if they did and I don't do any e-net banking on my phones, never.

Well, that's very open-minded of you!  Perhaps you could post all your mobile phone info (contact details, texts, browsing history, etc) here also, so everyone on ThaiVisa could read them as well. :smile:

Along with the shady company in China that installed the spy software on your phone (if it was/is a phone built for the China market).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In the past week, there was a MAJOR security warning that was reported in the New York Times first, and then widely elsewhere afterward, about malware installed by Chinese Android phone manufacturers on phones built for the Chinese market that secretly sends all kinds of personal information from the phones to the tracking company, on an ongoing basis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/politics/china-phones-software-security.html?_r=0

The issue became big news in the U.S. because apparently, the Chinese manufacturer of U.S. brand BLU's popular R1 HD phones sold by Amazon in the U.S. market had installed the malware on more than 100,000 BLU phones sold in the U.S.  -- without telling BLU or buyers of its phones, of course.

When the malware was accidentally discovered on the BLU phones by U.S. security researchers, the response of the Chinese malware company explained and apologized by saying their software was ONLY intended for Chinese market phones, and had been installed on the BLU U.S. phones by mistake. BLU subsequently pushed out an OTA update removing the malware.

But, what was interesting is the U.S. arms of Chinese manufacturers like Huawei and ZTE quickly issued statements insisting that their phones in the U.S. market did not have and never had had this malware. But, they didn't deny that their phones made by the Chinese market DID and DO have it.

What does the malware do?

Not one or twice, but an ongoing, daily or even hours basis.

And as for the Chinese phone manufacturers:

So, all in all, I'd be VERY WARY of purchasing an Android phone intended for the Chinese market from any of the Chinese phone manufacturers -- unless of course you don't mind some shady company in China reading your text messages, seeing your full Contacts list, all your Contacts info, etc etc.

in other words, its just doing what the US govt does  via  facebook  and to a lesser extent google ...... just more explicitly 

because of the "terrorists" and "national security"  poof  there go your civil rights

• 2 weeks later...

OK, dramatic update on my new mobile phone thingie.

I was unable to locate the Lenovo K5 note in Pattaya bundled with the ANTVR glasses or even the ANTVR glasses separately. But did find that way on Lazada. So took a gamble, and surprise surprise they sent me a totally different brand of glasses. I SPECIFICALLY wanted the ANTVR brand because it is advertised explicitly as usable while wearing eyeglasses. Also Lenovo had promoted the ANTVR brand as being specifically compatible with K4 and K5 note. I was skeptical about the eyeglass thing even with the ANTVR anyway, so I did some research on the brand I did get bundled with the phone REMAX VR Field and found one source saying you could use with eyeglasses with it as well. Well, no, you can't. Perhaps if you're a child with really TINY glasses. I actually think the ANTVR probably wouldn't work with my glasses either, so I'm not going to bother with the predictable hassle of complaining about being sent the wrong brand or even ordering them separately (which is possible).

Oh well, on the VR thing for me!

I'm really OK with the phone anyway. It's got what I want, decent price, and I'm used to the Lenovo UI. 

To add, for those still SHOPPING (not me now!) there are some interesting new choices. The Vivo V5 and the Oppo F1s (now with gorilla glass). 

Edited by Jingthing

i have had zenfone 3 4g ram 64gb memory for 2 weeks now, by far the best phone i have ever had. thinner than iphone, perfect size excellent camera and fast. alot of phone for the money and really nice looking with contoured class front and back.

model number ze520kl.

bought off lazada philipines for equivalent of 12k thb.

highly reccomended

https://www.asus.com/sg/Phone/ZenFone-3-ZE520KL/

Edited by HooHaa

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK, dramatic update on my new mobile phone thingie.

I was unable to locate the Lenovo K5 note in Pattaya bundled with the ANTVR glasses or even the ANTVR glasses separately. But did find that way on Lazada. So took a gamble, and surprise surprise they sent me a totally different brand of glasses. I SPECIFICALLY wanted the ANTVR brand because it is advertised explicitly as usable while wearing eyeglasses. Also Lenovo had promoted the ANTVR brand as being specifically compatible with K4 and K5 note. I was skeptical about the eyeglass thing even with the ANTVR anyway, so I did some research on the brand I did get bundled with the phone REMAX VR Field and found one source saying you could use with eyeglasses with it as well. Well, no, you can't. Perhaps if you're a child with really TINY glasses. I actually think the ANTVR probably wouldn't work with my glasses either, so I'm not going to bother with the predictable hassle of complaining about being sent the wrong brand or even ordering them separately (which is possible).

Oh well, on the VR thing for me!

I'm really OK with the phone anyway. It's got what I want, decent price, and I'm used to the Lenovo UI. 

To add, for those still SHOPPING (not me now!) there are some interesting new choices. The Vivo V5 and the Oppo F1s (now with gorilla glass). 

Hi, just noticed this thread, I am also thinking of buying a Lenovo K5 note (grey). Are you happy with it?

Could you let me know if the one you bought on Lazada came with 'Lollipop' or 'Marshmallow' please, and also let me know the price you paid, the seller's details, and if it came with a warrantee and a VAT receipt.

On invadeIT it says it ships with Lollipop (android v5), but I looked at one at Jaymart in Central Pattaya and it had Marshmallow (android v 6) installed which I prefer.

Many thanks

1 hour ago, jay1980 said:

Hi, just noticed this thread, I am also thinking of buying a Lenovo K5 note (grey). Are you happy with it?

Could you let me know if the one you bought on Lazada came with 'Lollipop' or 'Marshmallow' please, and also let me know the price you paid, the seller's details, and if it came with a warrantee and a VAT receipt.

On invadeIT it says it ships with Lollipop (android v5), but I looked at one at Jaymart in Central Pattaya and it had Marshmallow (android v 6) installed which I prefer.

Many thanks

I got this one, Model A7020a48,  7,777 ฿

http://www.lazada.co.th/lenovo-vibe-k5-note-2016-a7020-55-32gb-black-antvr-7273924.html?boost=1

It's Lollipop but apparently there is a Marshmallow update available:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/K-and-Vibe-Z-Series-Smartphones/Lenovo-Vvibe-K5-Note-a7020a48-Marshmallow-update/td-p/3390697

The ad said it was black. I got grey. The ad said it comes with ANTVR glasses. Got a different brand. Unclear if the offer really includes a case. Didn't get one.

Comes with a Limited Warrant form. There is a simple receipt in Thai. Not sure about VAT.

The price is probably available already with Marshmallow in stores but the reason I bought from Lazada was the ANTVR glasses.

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I got this one, Model A7020a48

It's Lollipop but apparently there is a Marshmallow update available:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/K-and-Vibe-Z-Series-Smartphones/Lenovo-Vvibe-K5-Note-a7020a48-Marshmallow-update/td-p/3390697

The ad said it was black. I got grey. The ad said it comes with ANTVR glasses. Got a different brand. Unclear if the offer really includes a case. Didn't get one.

The price is probably available already with Marshmallow in stores but the reason I bought from Lazada was the ANTVR glasses.

Thanks for the reply

I am guessing you bought it from this seller?

http://www.lazada.co.th/lenovo-vibe-k5-note-2016-a7020-55-32gb-black-antvr-7273924.html

I am not bothered about the headset so will probabaly just get one for a couple of hundred baht more from Jaymart, easier to deal with if there are any issues than a Lazada seller and I won't have to mess around doing the upgrade to Marshmallow.

How do you find the phone generally now you have had it a week or so? Happy or any niggles?

I will be replacing a 2 year old + motorola moto g2 so am fine with Android.

cheers

Yes, that's it.

Right, no headset but when it's shipped with headset I think it's low end.

I want to buy a better one anyone. 

No comment on the phone yet. I've tested it in stores and liked it. I need to get some things done before I use it (glass cover and change the SIM).

I would have also bought it from a vendor like Jaymart except for the ANTVR offer. But just reporting what happened with that. 

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing