ATM withdrawal with a foreign bank Card in Bangkok

Hi, I have a MasterCard backed foreign Bank card (Revolut) also a Halifax Credit Card

I have tried to make withdrawals from numerous ATM's around Bangkok but they all want to charge me 200 baht to make a withdrawal. Anyone know a bank here that doesn't' charge?

Thanks

if, instead you were to repeat all these uncompleted transactions at different ATMs,

your Card is likely to be cancelled by your home bank.

They'll automatically detect the attempts, and assume your card is stolen or otherwise fraudulently being used by someone outside of your home country

as mentioned, STOP, and go to a bank counter

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Go and make a withdrawal over the counter at a bank and there wont be an ATM machine charge

And get a hefty cash advance fee from your local bank. A late surprise.

If the card is a debit card they will refuse to pay OTC.

Thai banks are not as stupid as some might think.

To the OP: welcome to Thailand :wink:

The ATM fee, one of the most discussed annoyances discussed here.

150, 180 and now 200.

Where will it end?

I read that there might be a handful of ATMs in Thailand that do not charge.

One in Bangkok? I forgot.

Be prepared to travel :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Go and make a withdrawal over the counter at a bank and there wont be an ATM machine charge

And Bangkok Bank has been allowing me to do this without any fee whatsoever.  The only charges come from my North American bank (basically the currency conversion fee).  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The poster's first statement only applies to credit cards.
The poster's second statement is not true if you use Bangkok Bank.  I've been doing debit card cash withdrawals for over a year on a regular basis.  Limit between 50,000B and 100,000B depending on the bank branch.   Again, no fee.   Caveat:  I have an account with them. 

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

And Bangkok Bank has been allowing me to do this without any fee whatsoever.  The only charges come from my North American bank (basically the currency conversion fee).  

I see, I have to test sometime soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

150, 180 and now 200.

Where will it end?

One in Bangkok? I forgot.

Nothing is for free and the big surprise comes when you get home.....

BTW, if 200 baht is so much money for you, I doubt that you can have a lot of fun in Thailand. 

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

150, 180 and now 200.

Where will it end?

There is no "hefty cash advance fee" maybe it depends on whether you have cash in your account or not .

Mine is a debit card and they DO pay over the counter .

Although the cards may need to be LINK and/or CIRRUS connected

I get charged 2 or 3 % of the withdrawn money by my bank .

Bangkok Bank kiosks also can do this transaction , they stay open later than banks

Better get your cash now, Kasikorn Bank is already advising that it's going up next month......they won't be the only ones for sure.....

"From Nov 1, 2016 - The service charge on cash withdrawal of all international or foreign credit cards via KBank's ATM machines for VISA card and MasterCard will be charged at 250 Baht per transaction."

Bangkok bank do charge the standard 200 baht for an ATM withdrawal. Saw it this evening.
I also have an account with them but I know I will get charged for an 'over the the counter' withdrawal from my UK card.
I've just returned from a trip to S.America and many banks there don't charge for ATM withdrawals, thought it might be possible here.

If anyone knows of a bank that doesn't charge, I'd like to hear.

Thanks

8 hours ago, russianrobert said:

Bangkok bank do charge the standard 200 baht for an ATM withdrawal. Saw it this evening.
I also have an account with them but I know I will get charged for an 'over the the counter' withdrawal from my UK card.
I've just returned from a trip to S.America and many banks there don't charge for ATM withdrawals, thought it might be possible here.

Thanks

Your UK bank will charge you, for a withdrawal abroad  whether you use the ATM or Over the counter .

I was informed that there was one Thai bank that doesnt charge for making a withdrawal with a foreign card , though I do not remember its name .

Also, I was told that there was a free way to get money from your account back home , sending it to yourself via Paypal or something

10 hours ago, russianrobert said:

Thanks

You are wrong. What you need to do is to take the Halifax Clarity into the bank, together with your passport. No fees either from the Halifax nor the Thai bank. Make sure that there is no statemented balance on the Clarity and cover the cash advance taken with an online banking payment asap, to avoid the £0.05 per day per £100 interest charge from the Halifax.

Cover a £300 withdrawal a day later and even if you pay a day's interest, that's 15p.

Forget about using the Revolut in Thailand. Their rate for Thailand is below market.

Edit: Just noted that you wrote Halifax Credit, not Clarity. If not a Clarity, you need to swap or instead apply for a Creation Everyday CC. Creation Everyday has a cash advance limit of £300 per day, but £500 per week. Clarity has no such limit. You can withdraw £500 per day.

If you have no other option at the moment(in others words, no Clarity), you can try the Bank of China ATMs; http://www.bankofchina.com/th/en/aboutus/ab3/ 

or

CitiBank; https://www.citibank.co.th/en/static/Location.htm

using your Revolut card.

You'll avoid the ATM charge, but lose up to 2% on the exchange rate with Revolut.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

That's 900 Baht for a 30'000 Baht withdrawal (the maximum you can get).

I have an idea how banks will make money in the future (when interest is abolished) :whistling:

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Your UK bank will charge you, for a withdrawal abroad  whether you use the ATM or Over the counter .

I was informed that there was one Thai bank that doesnt charge for making a withdrawal with a foreign card , though I do not remember its name .

Also, I was told that there was a free way to get money from your account back home , sending it to yourself via Paypal or something

No, they won't necessarily. Post from a position of knowledge, not conjecture.

Your advice is terrible. :)

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

There is no "hefty cash advance fee" maybe it depends on whether you have cash in your account or not .

Mine is a debit card and they DO pay over the counter .

Although the cards may need to be LINK and/or CIRRUS connected

Bangkok Bank kiosks also can do this transaction , they stay open later than banks

Get a better card. 

N&P Gold VISA debit

Cumberland Plus VISA debit

Virgin Money Essential VISA debit may work in the Bangkok ATMs.

Years ago I used my Citibank ATM card. It was free. Then they added a 1 percent charge. No too bad so I kept using it. Then they went to 3 percent plus the Thai bank's charge.

It is convenient and free to use your Thai bank ATM card in the same province as your bank branch. Out of the province there is a 20 baht charge. I top up my Thai bank account once or twice a year with wire transfers from Citibank US. They charge a flat $30 for a transfer regardless of the amount. Now they have added another $15 charge for the intermediary bank. Of course Citibank is also that bank, so it is now $45. I consider that a back door charge. They don't tell you that.

24 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

No, they won't necessarily. Post from a position of knowledge, not conjecture.

We are talking about HIS bank account . 

The Halifax and they DO charge for a foreign withdrawal .

I have inquired about that subject with them .

Whether other banks charge or not isnt the subject matter or the question asked .

That is why I wrote "YOUR UK Bank" and I didnt write *Every bank in the World*

53 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Bank of China and CitiBank(for UK Mastercard).

These are City banks charges for using ATMS abroad

Cash Withdrawals
Non-Citi ATM
Withdrawal amount £85.98 €100
2.75% commission £2.36  
2% Charge (Minimum £2. Maximum £5. if applicable) Total debit (in currency of account) Citi ATM £2.00 0
Total debit (in currency of account) £90.34 €100 (equating to £87.56)

https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/card-abroad.do

1 hour ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

N&P Gold VISA debit

From the N& P Website . You have to be living within their operating area to be able to open an account with them

We welcome new applications from new and existing customers who live within our branch operating area, however, we do not accept new accounts from new customers who live outside our branch operating area. Some restrictions may also apply to new accounts available to existing customers who live outside our branch operating area.

19 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Better get your cash now, Kasikorn Bank is already advising that it's going up next month......they won't be the only ones for sure.....

"From Nov 1, 2016 - The service charge on cash withdrawal of all international or foreign credit cards via KBank's ATM machines for VISA card and MasterCard will be charged at 250 Baht per transaction."

This applies to credit cards only but I think it's so great they will be charging a fee 12.5 times higher for a foreign credit card than a Thai credit card.   Thai banksters just love farangs...price gouging Thai bankster style.

From Nov 1, 2016 - The service charge on cash withdrawal of all international or foreign credit cards via KBank's ATM machines for VISA card and MasterCard will be charged at 250 Baht per transaction.  China Union Pay (CUP) card will be charged 100 Baht per transaction. All electronic cards issued by card issuer company in Thailand (Non Bank) will be charged 20 Baht per transaction

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/RatesAndFees/Charges/Pages/Charges.aspx

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

These are City banks charges for using ATMS abroad

Cash Withdrawals
Non-Citi ATM
Withdrawal amount £85.98 €100
2.75% commission £2.36  
2% Charge (Minimum £2. Maximum £5. if applicable) Total debit (in currency of account) Citi ATM £2.00 0
Total debit (in currency of account) £90.34 €100 (equating to £87.56)

https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/card-abroad.do

You have posted information for CitiBank account holders using a Non CitiBank ATM.

We are discussing a UK issued Mastercard in a CitiBank ATM.

Post from a position of knowledge, not conjecture.

Your advice is terrible. ;)

We are talking about HIS bank account . 

The Halifax and they DO charge for a foreign withdrawal .

I have inquired about that subject with them .

Whether other banks charge or not isnt the subject matter or the question asked .

That is why I wrote "YOUR UK Bank" and I didnt write *Every bank in the World*

You need to learn to read and comprehend before posting.

He wrote about a Halifax credit card. If it is the Halifax Clarity credit card, they do not charge anything, other than interest.

7 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Your advice is terrible. ;)

OK Mr know it all. If you cannot post without making numerous snidey little remarks , then I will leave it to you to take the effort to explain things to the OP, You are just coming across as annoying , childish and trying to prove that you are right all the time, even though you are quite clearly wrong .

So, the threads yours

From the N& P Website . You have to be living within their operating area to be able to open an account with them

We welcome new applications from new and existing customers who live within our branch operating area, however, we do not accept new accounts from new customers who live outside our branch operating area. Some restrictions may also apply to new accounts available to existing customers who live outside our branch operating area.

This actually only came into force yesterday. If you had applied two days ago, you may have been successful. 

Just now, sanemax said:

OK Mr know it all. If you cannot post without making numerous snidey little remarks , then I will leave it to you to take the effort to explain things to the OP, You are just coming across as annoying , childish and trying to prove that you are right all the time, even though you are quite clearly wrong .

So, the threads yours

If you post nonsense, don't be upset to get pulled up on it.  So far, every one of your posts on this thread have been wide of the mark.

I guess you are going to run away from the thread, rather than to show everyone where I might be wrong. So who is childish here? Stand up like a man for what you believe in. :)