The bank said that my squiggles are different

So went into my CIMB Branch earlier today. I’ve banked there for some time so they all know me, fortunately my wife came along.

I’ve had problems before as frequently they say that my squiggle does not match what is in my book … always looks okay to me! Up to now I have managed eventually to satisfy the ‘young lady’.

No matter how many times I tried today it wasn’t good enough.  I have been happy with my ‘squiggles’ for many years and I have to admit that it somewhat hard to copy!

Solution, change signature to ‘like small case writing’, quite some paperwork involved and was then issue with a new bank book.  Eventually got my money using my ‘new’ signature.

I foresee that this could cause a few problems... signature doesn't match the one in my passport :sad:

I also have other bank accounts there as well as an ATM card and a Credit Card.  Credit Card will be okay as no one ever looks at the back of it anyway ….

Anyone else got old like me and have this problem ……. Maybe have to go and do the same at Bangkok Bank ... they never seem to bother that things don't match though.

I had the same problem.

It's a combination of aging and not writing things anymore for over 10 years.

Certainly not cursive.

Not even to sign checks.

So my signature has changed radically. 

Last time for a new bank book they were not accepting my new signature.

I had to sign a form verifying a new signature.

But like the OP it doesn't match my passport because for a recent new passport I managed to do a more legible signature to fit into the space.

(In other words, on my passport you can actually read my name. On the bank signature, no way, just a bunch of big movements. The wisdom of doing the passport the way I did is questionable, but that's what I did.)

I also have concerns. My new signature will likely work for new bank books but I can imagine the issue coming up later if wanting to withdraw a large amount of money with the passport match.

I don't know to prevent this. Maybe beg? 

I can imagine a radically changed signature might seen as some kind of symptom of a disease, which it probably is sometimes. But in my case I'm not very concerned due to the reasons I stated. 

Edited by Jingthing

14 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Jas, tell me you're having us on and it's a joke post.......please!

Which branch, don't tell me Airport Plaza?

No, what a pain. Unfortunately the manager was not there as maybe she would have overruled the staff. It is

Wish it was a joke ... Muang Thong Thani Branch.  Will go back in and chat to the manager I think ... she was out today. My signature is not a radical change ... just a bit different ...

Edited by JAS21

See, you should have listened to your early primary school teachers many years ago when they said you need to improve your handwriting. :tongue:

But seriously I can understand why Thai bank reps may reject a signature if they can not determine what most of the individual letters composing the signature are...I mean is that a A, is that a C, is that a G, etc.   I would much prefer they compare signature closely like the Bangkok Bank reps have done on me over the years versus a rep that make the motions of during a signature comparison but really their mind is elsewhere.

Doesn't pay to be cutting edge in Thailand when it comes to banking.  

Well, the banksters can be cutting edge as they bleed us for more/higher fees, but for customers we just need to submit to the will of the banksters.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I had the same problem.

It's a combination of aging and not writing things anymore for over 10 years.

Same here. I sign my name just a few times a year and hardly ever write by hand as everything I do is online. Add a touch of incipient carpal tunnel syndrome and my signature rarely looks like anything in my bank book.

I have had problems with local banks for years with this.

34 minutes ago, blackcab said:

My signature is just two neatly written characters - my initials. I have to sign so many pointless documents at work (to satisfy officialdom) I shortened my signature a long time ago. The same short signature is in my passport.

Excellent point.

A signature can be anything you want it to be.

Younger people take note ... maybe keep it simple. 

It doesn't even have to be anything like letters either.

http://www.financetwitter.com/2014/06/fifty-cool-signatures-of-worlds-rich-famous-people.html

13 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Jas, tell me you're having us on and it's a joke post.......please!

Which branch, don't tell me Airport Plaza?

It has happened to myself and a neighbour of mine gets pulled up a lot at the local TMB (same one as mine). 

Three years ago I helped a good friend construct his Last Will and Testament for the Kingdom of Thailand.  He was recently killed in a motorbike accident, and his wife has been put through pure he** over the authenticity of his Will.  I made provision for initials of the Testator and two Witnesses on the first page, and full signatures on the second (last) page.  The bank, the Amphoe, the Bureau of Land Transport and the Court all refused to honor his Will stating that the initials didn't match the signature in his passport, and neither did his full signature on the last page. His wife offered to bring along both Witnesses to testify that they observed my friend signing his Will, and they still refused it.

Many times Last Wills are drawn up when one is old or sickly, and certainly the signatures may not match that in a passport which could have been signed years earlier.  That's the very reason that Witnesses are required.  However, we must remember that we are in Thailand where logical reasoning and critical understanding of the law is a foreign concept. We have mere clerks in positions of authority making decisions for which they are not qualified, and they get the final word in most cases. 

Bottom line...this has caused me to rethink my own Will and draw up a new one wherein my signature will be witnessed by the US Embassy in addition to having two other Witnesses sign...and no initials!

Started using K- Bank, after I had the same problem with another bank.

K-Bank has a new system where they take a DNA sample and attache results to ATM, credit cards, and Cheques.

No need to sign anymore. It costs 20,000 baht to do; but it is worth it.

13 minutes ago, bark said:

Started using K- Bank, after I had the same problem with another bank.

K-Bank has a new system where they take a DNA sample and attache results to ATM, credit cards, and Cheques.

No need to sign anymore. It costs 20,000 baht to do; but it is worth it.

20,000 B to take your own money out...  Are you insane..  

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

20,000 B to take your own money out...  Are you insane..  

555 You are the only one to believe this can be done. I should have said 1,000 baht.

You would have said. " Sign me up "

I can confirm that this happens.  It happened to me at Bangkok Bank.  It was amazing.  I went back the next day and showed them 7 pieces of picture ID with signatures and all signatures although similar were different.  They escalated to the Head Office and still denied.  Ridiculous.

6 hours ago, blackcab said:

My signature is just two neatly written characters - my initials. I have to sign so many pointless documents at work (to satisfy officialdom) I shortened my signature a long time ago. The same short signature is in my passport.

Does that not make it rather easy to forge? The usual point of a signature is that it should be unique and hard to replicate.

Though why banks here insist on getting a matching signature yet often completely ignore official ID like driving licences and passports is completely beyond me.

Well I'll be squiggled. I come from a time when we took pride in writing and signing our names in a legible manner. Today most signatures look like some bird crapped on the paper. The worst are doctors and so called "professionals" Pride here is the pivotal answer. Not to demean the poster in any way he is trying and they are not buying. Its also known as lighting the hoop and you jumping through it. Relieves the boredom. Fingerprints and readers are of course the obvious answer but they cost money and therein is the obvious stumbling block. 

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Does that not make it rather easy to forge? The usual point of a signature is that it should be unique and hard to replicate.

That would be nice. The forger could sit in my office signing volumes of official paperwork for me while I did something more productive. 

16 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Fingerprints and readers are of course the obvious answer but they cost money and therein is the obvious stumbling block. 

In the UK banks verify your identity with chip and pin. You go into the bank, insert your card into the reader. The teller enters the transaction and you approve it with your pin. It's the same system used for purchases that are made in person.

Banks also use the same process to verify your identity when you go to the bank for administrative matters. No money is deducted from your account but the card is inserted into the machine and the pin is checked.

Just now, blackcab said:

In the UK banks verify your identity with chip and pin. You go into the bank, insert your card into the reader. The teller enters the transaction and you approve it with your pin. It's the same system used for purchases that are made in person.

Banks also use the same process to verify your identity when you go to the bank for administrative matters. No money is deducted from your account but the card is inserted into the machine and the pin is checked.

Sounds good but then I stand by my comment its all about the money honey. 

Things are becoming more pedantic. 

Having said that some time ago I was telephoned by HSBC UK as they thought a signature on a fairly small value cheque looked a bit different. 

Years ago when my wife was applying for ILR in the UK the manager asked me to make sure all the signatures were identical to the one on my passport, which was several years old. 

Not had any issues here but did have a bank (Bangkok Bank) refuse to pay 2 cheques into my daughter's account earlier this week. The writer had put her first and surname on them whereas her ID card and bank book have her middle name too. Asked to see the manager and her said it was "branch policy. Must be identical and that we would need to ask the writer to amend and initial the cheques". 

So beware. Everyone is getting more and more pedantic. Don't rely on any common sense anywhere.