New Look ninja 650 for 2017.

Happy Grumpy

It was just about due a do over.

Unfortunately, they've got it wrong. 

The nice lines of the current version are gone. In comes some juttiness and sharpness at various parts.

100416-2017-kawasaki-ninja-650-f.jpg

100416-2017-kawasaki-ninja-650-hi_17_EX6

Though they do claim a 42 Ib weight reduction in the new frame.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2017-kawasaki-ninja-650-preview.html

Looks more aggressive with the aftermarket seat cowl.

bg_17EX650K_44SGN1SRF00D_C.jpg

I still prefer the smoother, more flowing design of the current gen.

Don't know when they'll be released in Thailand, or the price. 

I usually like the Z series but that Z650 has lines and angles all over the place. Somehow feels like the front is not aligned with the main part of the bike, like it cracked in the middle because a too fat guy sat on it. The white/black colors with the green trellis frame could make for a really nice design, a shame. That parallel twin doesn't put my heart on fire anyways so wouldn't consider it even if it was a beauty.

I bet they will be sold here since they are made here.

Yes they still uses the same old parallel twin banger, just re-mapped (again). That engine must be over 10 years since introduced, not the most economic engine in the world but very solid.

That engine comes in 3 different configurations if I am not wrong: Ninja & Er6 = most sporty ones (Cams more made for sports-bike riding, high end grunt), Versys (I own one), a bit milder cams for more low end grunt, Vulcan 650= even milder cams than Versys for chopper style low end grunt, but it will never be like on a HD due to huge difference in CC.

I quite like my V mk3 for what is it, a cheap all round bike but don't expect +200km/h cruising, because it can't, ha-ha, well perhaps downhill if you are very brave/stupid.

All the current Kawa 650 types bikes are heavy for a 650cc bike so a good weight-loss will off-course make them better handling-faster but don't expect miracles.  I am looking forward to read test of them and see how they fare.

I doubt the V will be re-designed in the near future, as the rear sub frame was strengthened on the V mk3 only introduced last year, making it more capable of going touring 2up with side panniers+ top box fitted.

Edited by guzzi850m2

the Thai Kwaka site has the new N650 at THB 306,500 compared to the current 291,000

Spec wise it has dropped 18 kgs (193 from 211kgs). 1 kg will be from the tank holding 15 litres instead of 16.

the 2017 spec has changed the Bore x Stroke (76x55 compared to 83x60) and has 36mm throttle bodies (2016 - 32mm)

The 2017 is a smaller bike and has a seat height of 790mm (2016 - 805mm)

2017 - 2,055 mm x 740 mm x 1,135 mm

2016 - 2,110 mm x 770 mm x 1,180 mm

Wheelbase and ground clearance remain the same.

http://www.kawasaki.co.th/en/motorcycle/ninja650new#

i guess the Z would be 3-4 kgs lighter so starts putting it in reach of the Yam Z07 (depending on power!) and ahead on the current Honda 650s.

Edited by taichiplanet

Putting beloved Versys up for sale,  l don't use it as much as l did anymore and like it should, great bike for Thailand.

I want a Ninja next the twin engine is just right for me, l liked riding my friends 2012 one so with the new coming l hope l can get bargain secondhand one,  don't like using the scoot all the time so l find the Ninja easier to knock around and about on than l do my Versys.

The new Ninja looks great IMO, a big improvement from the 2016 model and the weight loss is a big plus given the mild nature of that 650 parallel twin engine.

The ER6N/Z650 or whatever it's called now looks horrible. It was much better looking before but I'd imagine the new one is more fun to ride. 

I'd still be leaning towards Honda's 650 range at around the 300k Baht mark though.

On 11/3/2016 at 3:19 PM, JonnyF said:

The new Ninja looks great IMO, a big improvement from the 2016 model and the weight loss is a big plus given the mild nature of that 650 parallel twin engine.

The ER6N/Z650 or whatever it's called now looks horrible. It was much better looking before but I'd imagine the new one is more fun to ride. 

I'd still be leaning towards Honda's 650 range at around the 300k Baht mark though.

what's the reasoning behind leaning towards the Hondas? I'm interested as looking to step up to a bigger bike next year and am thinking of the Yam MT07; at least until i try them on for size! Though maybe the new Ninja 650 might suit, with the loss of weight. Will the new bore and stroke give it more mid range or top end power?

Edited by taichiplanet

Nice looking new ninja and about time it was revised. Must admit though, I prefer the old exposed rear shock but cannot be done on this one as configuration has altered with the new frame. 15k baht more and 18kgs down (which is a shed load). Take it on sale from the beginning of the new year?  Worthy of consideration for a 300k bike.

On 11/4/2016 at 5:27 PM, taichiplanet said:

what's the reasoning behind leaning towards the Hondas? I'm interested as looking to step up to a bigger bike next year and am thinking of the Yam MT07; at least until i try them on for size! Though maybe the new Ninja 650 might suit, with the loss of weight. Will the new bore and stroke give it more mid range or top end power?

The engine remains a 649cc Twin, tuned for mid-range performance from 3000-6000 rpm, with a peak output of 68 hp. Kawasaki claims a 6.8% improvement in fuel efficiency, claiming 55 mpg from the new Ninja 650.

• 5 months later...

This is a question about both this new model, and the 2012-2016 model.

Is it possible to change just the muffler to an after market one, without changing the downpipes, or can only a full system after market exhaust be fitted?

I seem to remember that it was an issue with the 2012-2016 model, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.