Video of farang involved in Bangkok road rage incident goes viral

webfact

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Stupid foreigner just dont lose your cool for something that did not happen.

Don't even lose your cool for things that DO happen.:smile:

He was caught on camera assaulting the Thai student, so he'll probably be out of here if he doesn't cough up a lot of cash.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I've seen kids like those in the video being scraped off the road and dragged into tuk tuks and ambulances.

I get bloody angry when these idiots do their best to get themselves killed by using my car as the weapon. I would think the guy felt the same.

I've only seen people being scraped off the road when they were on bikes. I've fortunately yet to see anyone get seriously hurt in a car accident in Thailand.

Like you, I get angry how some seem to have a death wish on the road, but pushing people around isn't going to end well. This weekend alone I had about 10 near collisions with motorbikes whizzing through Bangkok traffic jams coming from absolutely nowhere at the speed of sound to drive through gaps that didn't exist. Prompting a fight with them would not achieve anything.

2 minutes ago, Ratcher said:

If he's not British where is he from? It's easy to blame the Brits if he is talking in English. 

Where in my comment did I make any reference to his nationality?  But as you asked the question, my guess would be Australia/NZ.

There are stupid as <deleted> drivers here, you guys shouldn't deny it. He should have kept his cool as this shit is everywhere and there's not much we can do about it, but stop denying that the drivers here are <deleted> useless.

2 hours ago, Ratcher said:

If he's not British where is he from? It's easy to blame the Brits if he is talking in English. 

I think it's more likely an Australian accent ... based on how he pronounced "<deleted>"

There is no doubt in my mind having driven in this country for several decades that Thai drivers are absolutely horrid and lack the basic skills and rules of the road. However, having said that- the foreigner did something that is anathema in this country- he lost his temper in public and to make it worse he pushed and shoved Thai citizens and this may well be considered minor assault. He has now put himself at risk for a possible criminal charge and put his family at much greater risk then a simple auto accident. He will be identified; and most likely visited by the police and it will cost him compensation and a formal apology to the Thai students. All he had to do is stay silent and call the insurance company. HIs overreaction provides the Thai general public with 'evidence' to substantiate their stereotype of western foreigners as uncouth; foul mouthed; and incapable of dealing with Thai Citizens in a responsible manner.

Look folks- if you drive in Thailand on a daily basis- you will see people on motorcycles looking at cell phones; carrying 3-4 passengers; driving the wrong way and literally breaking every law ever written. If I let my anger take over- I would be mad every day time after time. I refuse to do it- I drive defensively and have learned to expect the unexpected.

This man will now learn a hard lesson- never, ever get angry in Thailand no matter what the provocation- because once you do- you have lost.

This looks like a case of a Farang picks up a rental car from the airport on his first visit to Thailand, drives 2 km down the highway feeling tired from a long flight. Somebody cuts him up but he decides not to yield because he believes he is in the right and therefore thinks the other driver will, but of course he doesn't know they won't. Bang, temper tantrum kicks in. Somebody films it as always happens these days and low and behold the man is got his five minutes of fame.

What you's are seeing is the aftermath of an accident so you's don't know what led up to it. I would be really annoyed as well if i was involved in an accident with a dangerous driver and my kids were in the car. Keeping your cool shouldn't come into to it just because he is a Farang  and maybe IF the driver was in the wrong for driving dangerous, he won't do it again. Cut the guy some slack here, he must have been pretty shaken up after it. 

Disclaimer: If it was just a scratch on the car and a nothing accident invloed with a hung over Farang, i take everything i said back. 

5 hours ago, WEBLEDINK said:

Any time you take yourself on the road in Thailand with your family the "could have" moment is a reality. Accidents are just that...... accidents! They are just mostly prevalent in this dangerous country where motor laws are only enforced on the first of the month in brute force... with a bucketful of money piling up beside a policeman sitting at table. That was minor by the looks of it! No one should act like this .. the " could have" moment could have turned on him very quickly once he stepped out his car and began man handling a group of countrymen that probably didn't understand a word that he was saying!

And what do people learn from not being "told" they nearly caused what could have been a serious incident? But then again, nobody really gives a damn?

Could apply to both parties here.

Sorry- no slack from me. If you come to another country- you have to understand the anomalies of life in that country. The Thai actor who recently reacted in public in an irrational manner was vilified by all Thai people and every foreigner that I know. He lost tremendous face; his job; and will pay compensation and possibly a court case for assault.

Foreigners in Thailand have to play by the rules of society- you do not lose your temper in public in Thailand. It means you lose any credibility you may have had and show the Thai people a side of a foreigner that many Thais imagine is how we really are all the time- rude; lack of control; and crazy. Foreigners need to remember that not only are they being judged as an individual but as a representative of their ethnic appearance and background. I don't give him any slack because he should have known better and his actions reflect on the rest of the foreign community.

31 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It does not matter what happened before- if you are a foreigner you cannot ever get angry in public in Thailand. Do it and you lose!!!

Ahh Come On! Everybody can get angry no matter what country you are from. What if you get falsely accused of stealing? or some adult beats up your 5 year old kid?  or someone steals from you?.... In the right situation everybody can get angry and just because they are in Thailand, they should not just stand around smiling. 

Thais are just people. They also understand farangs can get angry. But no need to be an idiot like the guy in the video. You are putting too much culture analysis into it.

Just look at how Thais behave sometimes. 

Edited by khunpa

56 minutes ago, tropo said:

He was caught on camera assaulting the Thai student, so he'll probably be out of here if he doesn't cough up a lot of cash.

Is pushing actually an assault in Thai law? 

"He will be out of here or pay a lot of cash" ????

So driving a car, using the phone and crashing into another road user doesn't concern you, just his reaction?

Some people really amaze me.

On 07/11/2016 at 8:48 PM, Kasset Tak said:

Thai traffic is full of people that should not be there, if the police check the motorcycle driver they probably don't have drivers licence and/or are under 18!

Next time a motorcycle cut in front of you, don't slam the brakes just keep going for another 5-10 seconds before you brake and tell the police that you froze as the motorcycle came from nowhere... Darwin effect.

Thailand is the 2nd worst country in the world with traffic accidents with about 80 people dying from road accidents daily, 2012 the average for the world was 17 deaths per 100,000/year compared to 36 in Thailand, in 2014 that number was 44 per 100,000 and WHO state that it should probably be more than 40% higher than that if they would follow the same standards as in EU and US for reporting traffic related deaths... that mean about 63 per 100,000 compared to 17 in global average, 9 in Europe and 73 in Libya, a country in civil war! 

Could you give the source where you obtained those figure, I mean who published those figures. Just curious not saying you lie ok?

A few months ago another driver nearly hit me from behind at very high speed. When using the horn at him, he got more angry and followed me for a couple of kilometers, overtaking me and then pressing the breaks hard several times etc. The guy was totally crazy and could have killed us all. 

Only reason I did not try to stop him and beat the shit out of him, was because my wife and kid was in the car and you never know what weapons these idiots carry here. Some people driving around here are crazy and should never be allowed to drive at all. I hope the guy some day meets someone that beats the shit out of him. 

Edited by khunpa

1 hour ago, tropo said:

If something really happened.. this was just minor and no real danger i can understand people lashing out.. though physical violence is not my thing and can understand that people get locked up for this. 

But your right on camera assaulting someone .. now it was not a minor assault no punches ect.. just stupid to do as a foreigner.. could really mess your visa up. (actually more countries where you can forget your visa if you have a conviction)