Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

No it doesn't. It wouldn't affect anyone living here on 1 year extensions of stay, which is probably what you mean by 1 year visa. IF they replace the 1 year Non 'O-A' visa with this 10 year option it will only affect those using this visa to live here that can't find an extra 20,000 baht, or have an income less than 100,000, or that can't afford or qualify for insurance. I doubt that would be many.

It's a new visa.

You do not KNOW that.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm tired of posts going on about Westerners 'with families'.

Single people are likely to spend just as much money (if not more) in local shops and on local services because we have a larger disposable income.

If I said that I deserved special consideration because I've adopted soi dogs, would you consider this a good argument?

It's just another way of saying how they deserve to be here more than us as usual. 

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm tired of posts going on about Westerners 'with families'.

Single people are likely to spend just as much money (if not more) in local shops and on local services because we have a larger disposable income.

If I said that I deserved special consideration because I've adopted soi dogs, would you consider this a good argument?

Up to you darling !

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It would be NIGHTMARE news for a large portion of us, if this will be the only option and the current one year extensions with the current financial requirement levels are phased out. 

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa. They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage.

I didn't see any indication that the past forms of extensions would be eliminated did you?

Not so bad - that income requirement is easy enough - I never deposit money in Thai banks anyway and never will - to hard to get back out of the country and all that reporting crap to the US. 

The catch that many will have a bigger problem with is the health insurance requirement - I got that covered to.  90 day report is not a problem anyway.

Not having to go to the consulate once a year is the greatest thing ever - well worth it.  10,000 up front is a deal if I don't have to drive 800km round trip and pay 2700baht for a stupid document ever year (as if it ever changes other then cola increases) - less then what it cost me now for sure.  It is all good - it will thin the herd in places like Pattaya and Bangkok  - no loss.

The reduction in paper work for immigration and number of trees saved from the copy paper makers will be  - as Donald says 'Huuuuge'

We still have to see if it all really happens like this - amendments by the 'they didn't ask me first loss of face group' are still pending.

3 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

None of us has any idea if this replaces or is in addition to the current retirement set up. One clue to the intention though is mandatory insurance. I think most western countries in the world would require this for elderly retirees.

So my point is it leads me to suspect this might be a replacement as this requirement should actually be in place for all people wishing to reside here. If you don't have insurance or a certain amount in some type of 'escrow' you really shouldn't be living in a foreign country, period.

I'm very happy that you can afford health insurance without the exclusion of pre-existing conditions.

Many of us are not so fortunate, and so would appreciate the government coming up with an 'insurance scheme' for 'expats' to cover medical care if the worst happens.  I say this as, let's be honest, we always pay for private care as the last thing we want is to end up in a public hospital!

Also weren't they awhile back suggesting they wanted proof of travellers insurance just to enter Thailand? I am not saying that is feasible but it does seem that they are beginning to want EVERY person here to have some type of mandatory insurance. 

Not exactly sure what to make of this article but I am beginning to see the writing on the wall.

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Weirdly, some of us can live without cars/big bikes/bar life and whooping it up :smile:.

But you think we should be kicked out because we don't live that 'lifestyle'.....

56 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Car for me.. Car for the wife.. Collection of big bikes.. Western food.. Gardeners and pool cleaners.. International travel..

Yeah.. No way to get that down under 100 really... And thats not even counting bar life and whooping it up..

Please don't tell me one of your 'big bikes' is a Harley?

It is isn't it?

1 minute ago, JamieM said:

Yes it's almost like they expect them to roll out the red carpet because they managed to knock a bar girl up.

Turn your air con down because the future of their children relies on using less resources. While they can't take a 1,200 Baht ferry because they have to pay for 6 people and it is cheaper to drive their Hilux. :)

Anyway that is a different rant. 

Not interested!

Way too much money required in a bank for too long, paying low interest rates; possibly none, combined with the same headache of 90 day reporting.

Not to mention Kasikorn Bank reps telling me last month, I can't wire money out without a work visa.  And, if I close my account even after being a good customer for over 10 years they will not open a new one without a work visa!

I'm 69, who is going to hire me?

Imagine wiring in 3 million THB only for a bank Mgr. a year later to tell you that you can't wire money out!

I had to argue with the bankers for 30 minutes and get approval from the home office to wire a sum, my money, under $10,000 to the U.S.

Even after they examined my recent, retirement extension stamp, clearing stating, retirement.

Immigration and the bankers need to get on the same page and be reasonable or the number of retirees will be retreating.

I love it here, but I can no longer recommend retiring here after the way bankers have been treating me this last year.  I have been a customer with three Thai banks for over 10 years.

12 minutes ago, tj916 said:

Please don't tell me one of your 'big bikes' is a Harley?

It is isn't it?

Ahh what a vision the elder easy rider with the wind flowing through his solitary hair somewhere in Pattaya :D

Edited by JamieM

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm very happy that you can afford health insurance without the exclusion of pre-existing conditions.

Many of us are not so fortunate, and so would appreciate the government coming up with an 'insurance scheme' for 'expats' to cover medical care if the worst happens.  I say this as, let's be honest, we always pay for private care as the last thing we want is to end up in a public hospital!

so you expect the Thai government to finance some sort of health scheme for foreigners because you didn't buy insurance before you had pre-existing conditions? That is pure lunacy.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You do not KNOW that.

So how do you think a new 10 year visa for over 50's will affect 1 year extensions of stay? There is no mention in any report to suggest this is replacing extensions of stay.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Based on what. The article says differently with the word replace.

I have another fun theory. Someone clever in the government released this story with its threatening wording to watch how all the stressed out old expats would react!

I rekon somebody in the govt reads all this and gets their brain farts from us.No wonder they come up with so many crap ideas.

As the English wording can sometimes mean anything, I thought it a good idea to read the Thai article...https://www.khaosod.co.th/economics/news_110696

...which, in addition, contains that rather disturbing line:

หลังจากนั้นจึงจะถอนเงินได้ไม่เกิน 50% พร้อมแสดงหลักฐานการถอนเงินเพื่อใช้จ่ายในไทยเท่านั้น

"After that [=the 3-million-bath deposit] only 50% may be withdrawn, and to be used in Thailand only. "

Edited by scavenger

I'm doing an initial visit to Namibia.  I don't know squat about how open they are to farang residing there. Indeed, I was planning to just hike around the deserts for 2 weeks, but now I'll ask some q's and get a feel for the place.  Would probably be better for my hay fever/sinuses, than smoggy Thailand.  Probably less noisy also.

Too little too late.

It's not one ten year, but two five year visas.

Thais can never give something for it's own right and reason. Always the strings, complications much like a backhanded compliment.

I'm certain you will still need to report, just spared the extension nonsense.

3m in the bank that needs to sit for a year unproductive.

Thai banks currently only insured by BoT for 1m and the economic shoes been waiting to drop here for years. lol

"Medical Tourism" more like making it ez for the geezers on deaths door  but demanding them shifting their life savings here 1%

This will cost you 60k in lost income if invested outside at modest 3.5% return, maybe more.

Disingenuous

5 hours ago, DiamondKing said:

3 Million in the Bank and you cant touch it for 1 year after the visa is issues or 100,000 in salary coming in every month 

ITS A JOKE 

Its for elite . Not for English Teachers!   Lots of responsible people make well over $3,000 a month.

Just now, louse1953 said:

I rekon somebody in the govt reads all this and gets their brain farts from us.No wonder they come up with so many crap ideas.

When I saw this I thought finally they have something for the under 50's but no still stuck in limbo get the elite or marry a local. Doesn't make any sense at all!

9 minutes ago, RKASA said:

Not so bad - that income requirement is easy enough - I never deposit money in Thai banks anyway and never will - to hard to get back out of the country and all that reporting crap to the US. 

The catch that many will have a bigger problem with is the health insurance requirement - I got that covered to.  90 day report is not a problem anyway.

Not having to go to the consulate once a year is the greatest thing ever - well worth it.  10,000 up front is a deal if I don't have to drive 800km round trip and pay 2700baht for a stupid document ever year (as if it ever changes other then cola increases) - less then what it cost me now for sure.  It is all good - it will thin the herd in places like Pattaya and Bangkok  - no loss.

The reduction in paper work for immigration and number of trees saved from the copy paper makers will be  - as Donald says 'Huuuuge'

We still have to see if it all really happens like this - amendments by the 'they didn't ask me first loss of face group' are still pending.

For the first time I'm beginning to warm to the British embassy!  They only deal with postal applications thank god - which means there is no requirement for a 800 km trip.

2 minutes ago, scavenger said:

As the English wording can sometimes mean anything, I thought it a good idea to read the Thai article...https://www.khaosod.co.th/economics/news_110696

...which, in addition, contains that rather disturbing line:

หลังจากนั้นจึงจะถอนเงินได้ไม่เกิน 50% พร้อมแสดงหลักฐานการถอนเงินเพื่อใช้จ่ายในไทยเท่านั้น

"After that [=the 3-million-bath deposit] only 50% mqy be withdrawn, and to be use in Thailand only. "

Sounds similar to Malaysia ... :coffee1:

6 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I didn't see any indication that the past forms of extensions would be eliminated did you?

3rd paragraph, first sentence.

'It would replace one-year renewable visas'

If this was English speaking country this would be 100% assurance 1 years were going.

But as Thailand with it's imprecise language and even worse translations there is a little room for hope.

But looking at last 3 years and the visa changes, first visa excemption runners, then ED visas, then tourist visa, all changed negatively...Well If on a retirement visa I would now start prepping to either meet new requirments or start planning your exit because the hope is very small indeed.

The two reports in the are contradictory.

The first says in Khaosodenglish says "Affluent foreign RESIDENTS over 50 will soon be able to apply for 10-year visas, a government spokesman said Tuesday."

The second in the Bangkok Post says "10-year visa for senior TOURISTS..... The cabinet on Tuesday extended to 10 years from one the long-stay visa for foreigners aged 50 or more but they must report to immigration police every 90 days.."

So it appears as previously stated to be a replacement for the current Non-Immigrant O-A visa.

Only worth considering to a retiree if you retire to live in Thailand or anyone over 50 who is not a retiree but no use whatsoever to a tourist who doesn't want to put 3mil baht in a Thai Bank for 1 year or for retirees like us who long stay for up to 5 months every year.

The Bangkok Post also reports cost as 10k baht. 

10 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Not interested!

Way too much money required in a bank for too long, paying low interest rates; possibly none, combined with the same headache of 90 day reporting.

Not to mention Kasikorn Bank reps telling me last month, I can't wire money out without a work visa.  And, if I close my account even after being a good customer for over 10 years they will not open a new one without a work visa!

I'm 69, who is going to hire me?

Imagine wiring in 3 million THB only for a bank Mgr. a year later to tell you that you can't wire money out!

I had to argue with the bankers for 30 minutes and get approval from the home office to wire a sum, my money, under $10,000 to the U.S.

Even after they examined my recent, retirement extension stamp, clearing stating, retirement.

Immigration and the bankers need to get on the same page and be reasonable or the number of retirees will be retreating.

I love it here, but I can no longer recommend retiring here after the way bankers have been treating me this last year.  I have been a customer with three Thai banks for over 10 years.

But you can TAKE the value up to 20000  USD in any currency except Thai baht (only 50000Bahy in  thai  bills )out Thailand when flying out .....

Edited by david555

1 minute ago, louse1953 said:

This is a Thailand forum.You have had your limit in Malaysia's.

It really is relevant because it's obvious to me this program is very liberally copied from Malaysia's program. That's also relevant because Malaysia does not have any kind of alternative lower financial requirement program. People are making assumptions about this both ways. I don't know. But I do know what REPLACE means. 

I hope this is just another poorly thought out idea. If it is to replace the "Elite" system and not the regular "Retirement visa" then most would not be severely affected, otherwise it's not: "Bad guys out, Good guys in", but more like "Rich guys can stay, the rest can F-off" Just getting the medical cover at over 60 would be a serious problem, or even up grading it if you have it already, never mind tying up a large amount of capital.

Probably just more hot air, we will see.