Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

51 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The reason it's so important to be precise on this thread is that this proposed new 5/10 year visa may possibly (nobody here really knows FOR SURE either way yet, and don't let them say they do) REPLACE the current O-A visas, also known as Long Stay visas. I'm not saying it will or that it's even at all likely that it will, but there is no definitive authority yet confirming it won't.

ok, let's be precise. according to the official diction nothing was "proposed" but the cabinet "approved" a new kind of "visa" which (according to this thread) caused some sort of totally unwarranted "scared sh*tlessness" among certain expats who will cause, by moving to various other places, e.g. Papua New Guinea the financial demise of the Kingdom of Thailand.

:smile:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Naam said:

ok, let's be precise. according to the official diction nothing was "proposed" but the cabinet "approved" a new kind of "visa" which (according to this thread) caused some sort of totally unwarranted "scared sh*tlessness" among certain expats who will cause, by moving to various other places, e.g. Papua New Guinea the financial demise of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Yeah, OK, they approved it, but the details of the it they approved have not been finalized. And there are LOTS of details that need to be finalized. 

10 hours ago, NeverSure said:

About 5 years ago I flew into Bangkok ...  During that 90 days I was able to get an O-A visa in Bangkok,

I think you must be "mis-remembering" smile.gif just like I did when I said I'd never had to copy my original O-A visa to get an extension. After checking my old papers I discovered a copy of my original visa that I'd made for my very first extension. But that was over 10 years ago, so I can be excused. rolleyes .gif

It's important in the context of this thread to correct your post. You absolutely did NOT get an O-A visa in Thailand. Nobody has done that EVER. O-A visas, also known as Long Stay visas are only available from a limited number of home countries. 

O-A visa applications do always require a medical form and a police record form. 
Again, these are ONLY done in a limited number of home nations. Never Thailand. 

What you did indeed do was a CHANGE OF STATUS from your tourist visa to a 90 day O visa in Thailand as the first step, and the annual retirement extension (of that O visa) as the second step.

The reason it's so important to be precise on this thread is that this proposed new 5/10 year visa may possibly (nobody here really knows FOR SURE either way yet, and don't let them say they do) REPLACE the current O-A visas, also known as Long Stay visas. I'm not saying it will or that it's even at all likely that it will, but there is no definitive authority yet confirming it won't.

What's interesting is there are comments about being able to switch over to this in-country which I'm guessing would be a Conversion from an existing Visa, just wondering if it will include the ability to convert from your existing Non O / O-A (Retirement) even if this expired some years ago (I.e. Really you'd be converting from your Extension of Stay).

Guess we'll find out in another 6 months like with the METV.

53 minutes ago, JB300 said:

What's interesting is there are comments about being able to switch over to this in-country which I'm guessing would be a Conversion from an existing Visa, just wondering if it will include the ability to convert from your existing Non O / O-A (Retirement) even if this expired some years ago (I.e. Really you'd be converting from your Extension of Stay).

Guess we'll find out in another 6 months like with the METV.

If they make the new 'O-A' available in Thailand then it would be reasonable to assume that anyone that qualifies for the visa could apply.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If they make the new 'O-A' available in Thailand then it would be reasonable to assume that anyone that qualifies for the visa could apply.

That is perhaps possible.

But I want to clarify (again if I haven't before) that the press or government announcements, as far as I have noticed, have never explicitly called this new visa an O-A visa.

There have been references to retirement visa and Long Stay visa and also the interesting detail of only being open to a limited number of nationals.

The O-A visa is really closest thing that can properly be called a retirement visa.

O visas and retirement extensions are not retirement visas.

On Thai embassy websites, it is standard for the O-A visa to be called LONG STAY. 

The O-A visa is restricted to a limited number of nations (only from some home nations) just like this new visa.

So that people see where I'm coming from, that this new visa sounds really really similar to the current O-A visa.

So asking if it's a REPLACEMENT is certainly a quite valid question, even more so, that some press reports have used the word REPLACEMENT, albeit in massively vague contexts.

Cheers.

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That is perhaps possible.

But I want to clarify (again if I haven't before) that the press or government announcements, as far as I have noticed, have never explicitly called this new visa an O-A visa.

There have been references to retirement visa and Long Stay visa and also the interesting detail of only being open to a limited number of nationals.

The O-A visa is really closest thing that can properly be called a retirement visa.

O visas and retirement extensions are not retirement visas.

On Thai embassy websites, it is standard for the O-A visa to be called LONG STAY. 

The O-A visa is restricted to a limited number of nations (only from some home nations) just like this new visa.

So that people see where I'm coming from, that this new visa sounds really really similar to the current O-A visa.

So asking if it's a REPLACEMENT is certainly a quite valid question, even more so, that some press reports have used the word REPLACEMENT, albeit in massively vague contexts.

Cheers.

I think, at this time, it is best to ignore the press. If you read the government website it clearly refers to the 'O-A' visa. 

Gist of the matter

Ministry of Public Health reported that

1. At present, an increasing number of foreigners aged 50 and over have been travelling to Thailand for a long stay by obtaining Non-Immigrant Visa Category O-A (Long Stay).

Age requirement: Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa.

I haven't read any government or press report that calls it a "Retirement Visa".

The only question is whether the 10 year replaces the 1 year or the two visas will be available. The government website says;

2. Ministry of Public Health and Ministry of Tourism and Sports have reached an agreement, at the 5/2016 board meeting of Thailand Development and Promotion on Medical and Wellness Tourism, to extend period of stay for Long Stay Visa from 1 year to 10 years for foreigners from 14 countries.

This wording suggests to me that they are planning a 10 year option for 14 countries, and that the 1 year will stay as is.

Edited by elviajero

2 hours ago, Naam said:

If you are going to be precise, a proposal was made by the Ministry of Public Health, and that proposal was approved by the Cabinet.

Title: Extension of period of stay for Long Stay Visa

The Cabinet approved in principle on proposals made by Ministry of Public Health on the extension of period of stay in Thailand for Long Stay Visa. Ministry of Interior is ordered to issue or amend related laws to be in accordance with the Cabinet’s resolution.

12 hours ago, NeverSure said:

I'm confused about this doing things in another country or in the home country. About 5 years ago I flew into Bangkok on a tourist visa (American) and managed to extend that out to 90 days. I'm not sure when it changed but today I could probably do that beginning with visa exempt. ??

During that 90 days I was able to get an O-A visa in Bangkok, open a bank account, etc. and when less than 30 days was up I was able to get an extension for retirement purposes of one year. I used the income method but it seems to me that I could have put 800k bht in and seasoned it during that time too???

Maybe things are harder now or maybe some just make them harder but I rolled right through that while also doing the small things such as getting a medical, etc.

?????

Cheers.

What you would have done is entered with a Tourist Visa and then applied for a Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa (not 'O-A') at an immigration office. When the visa was issued you were granted permission to stay for 90 days (not an extension), and during the last 30 days you would have applied for the 1 year extension of stay. It is still common and possible to do that, and it can also be done if entering using visa exemption.

Based on the proposal for new 10 year 'O-A' it would appear that people will have the option to apply for this visa in Thailand too.

"Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa"

3 hours ago, Naam said:

Is that some new Asian disease afflicting only those who have been doing too much hair-splitting?  What's the cure, or does one have to wear protection when going in to that discussion? ;)

1 hour ago, jpinx said:

Is that some new Asian disease afflicting only those who have been doing too much hair-splitting?  What's the cure, or does one have to wear protection when going in to that discussion? ;)

It is always advisable to wear protection prior to doing any hair splitting.

• 1 month later...

tl;dr

Well, I read several pages, but I digress. 

It seems I have a non-immigrant multiple entry "O" visa valid for one year. It cost me about $200. 

This turns out not to be a "retirement visa" which was what I had requested at the embassy.

I cannot use this to get a Certificate of Residence, and thus cannot get a bank account, Yellow book, buy a bike, get a drivers licence or anything else useful that I need to live her on any sort of long term basis. I apparently need "O-A" visa.

1: Have I understood things correctly?

2: I would qualify for the new 10 year option (sorry about that folks), any recent news on when it might become available?

tl;dr

It seems I have a non-immigrant multiple entry "O" visa valid for one year. It cost me about $200. 

This turns out not to be a "retirement visa" which was what I had requested at the embassy.

I cannot use this to get a Certificate of Residence, and thus cannot get a bank account, Yellow book, buy a bike, get a drivers licence or anything else useful that I need to live her on any sort of long term basis. I apparently need "O-A" visa.

2: I would qualify for the new 10 year option (sorry about that folks), any recent news on when it might become available?

I think it depends on where you currently reside. If you are in your home country you can probably obtain a non imm o-a multi entry visa via the local Thai Embassy or Consulate. If you are in Thailand the non imm o-a is not an option but, depending on your age and/or circumstances, you could possibly qualify for some version of a one year extension of stay.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, DrDweeb said:

tl;dr

The Non-Immigrant "O" should enable you to apply for an "OA" locally, which is the basis for yearly extensions based on retirement, provided you're over 50 and have 800k in the bank 2 months before applying, or can show a monthly pension income of 66+k/month, or a mix of the two.

The Non-Immigrant "O" should enable you to apply for an "OA" locally, which is the basis for yearly extensions based on retirement, provided you're over 50 and have 800k in the bank 2 months before applying, or can show a monthly pension income of 66+k/month, or a mix of the two.

Nope. The non imm o-a multi entry visa can only be obtained in one's home country via the local Thai Embassy or Consulate. With his non imm o he can apply for an extension of stay while in Thailand.

58 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Nope. The non imm o-a multi entry visa can only be obtained in one's home country via the local Thai Embassy or Consulate. With his non imm o he can apply for an extension of stay while in Thailand.

So basically, I applied for a non-immigrant ME "O-A" visa and got an "O". I showed pension income > 70K

Methinks I need to have a chat to the visa folks back where it was issued.

Edited by DrDweeb
spelling

58 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

So basically, I applied for a non-immigrant ME "O-A" visa and got an "O". I showed pension income > 70K

Methinks I need to have a chat to the visa folks beck where it was issued.

9 hours ago, DrDweeb said:

Methinks I need to have a chat to the visa folks beck where it was issued.

It doesn't matter which category of non-immigrant visa you have. As long as you the enter with country with a non-immigrant visa, and are over 50, you can apply for a 1 year extension based on 'retirement'.

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

It doesn't matter which category of non-immigrant visa you have. As long as you the enter with country with a non-immigrant visa, and are over 50, you can apply for a 1 year extension based on 'retirement'.

I guess I m not communicating clearly. I need some of the documents that can apparently only be obtained with an "O-A" visa.

I could care less about extensions at this point, since the current "O" is onlt a fortnight old!

On 22/11/2016 at 6:24 PM, Jingthing said:

When we do know more, and if it does turn out that they are phasing out the old program with no grandfathering, I'd like to see a POLL here to ask people using the current system, about how many would be forced to LEAVE THAILAND.

I could not even afford the Health Insurance cover!  My UK State pension has been frozen for 9 years & counting.  The UK pound has fallen 40% against the mighty baht.  Anyone want to buy a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house in Bang Saray?

I guess I m not communicating clearly. I need some of the documents that can apparently only be obtained with an "O-A" visa.

I could care less about extensions at this point, since the current "O" is onlt a fortnight old!

You have raised my curiosity. Would you mind sharing the list documents that you are referring to in your non imm o-a vs. non imm o discussion?

22 hours ago, DrDweeb said:

Methinks I need to have a chat to the visa folks back where it was issued.

Last year I got a single entry non-immigrant O in Phnom Penh. I entered Thailand, waited 45 days, then went to the immigration Department with proof of 800k etc.

I got the year extension with 'RETIREMENT' stamped on it.

Non-immigrant O is good for this purpose.

Edited by Andrew65

I just read an advertisement on Facebook about this visa. The advert was placed by some kind of Thai property finding service.

I noticed it said 100,000 Baht per month income OR 3 million in a bank account. 

Is the OR part correct?

"The new Thailand-Ten-Year-Retirement-Visa will cost 10,000 Baht ($280) and foreign senior tourists must be 50 years old or older in order to be eligible. They are required to obtain the non-immigrant long stay visa beforehand, and also meet certain financial criteria. It is understood that the existing retirement visa will remain available, for those that are unable to meet the criteria of the enhanced ten-year-visa.

This is big news for retirees in Thailand looking to spend a long time in Thailand. The Ministry of Public Health reported to the cabinet on the 22nd November 2016 that the number of foreigners looking to stay and retire in Thailand is on the rise. Main areas of popularity are Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Chon Buri, and other popular resorts close to the seaside.

Keen to capitalise on this increase of wealthy foreigners staying in Thailand, the Thai government has approved this incentive – but it’s not for everyone.

To qualify for the new Thailand-Ten-Year-Retirement-Visa, applicants must have a monthly income of at least 100,000 baht ($2800) or a bank account with three million baht deposited ($84,000). If the latter, this must be maintained as available funds for at least one year after the granting of the Thailand-Ten-Year Retirement Visa.

The Thailand-Ten-Year-Retirement-Visa will be available for visitors from the following countries: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States.

In addition to the above, applicants are required to have medical insurance cover. This is for one year, with at least $1,000 US for our-patient care and $10,000 dollars for in-patient care each time. It’s important to note that holders of the new visa must also report to a designated immigration office every 90 days.

Note: This 90 day report may be carried out with power of attorney of a local lawyer on your behalf. (Removed name of company. OP.) 

Edited by Mike45

41 minutes ago, Mike45 said:

I just read an advertisement on Facebook about this visa. The advert was placed by some kind of Thai property finding service.

I noticed it said 100,000 Baht per month income OR 3 million in a bank account. 

Is the OR part correct?

Yes it's correct based on the proposal agreed by cabinet, but the final details won't be known until announced by the MFA.

32 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes it's correct based on the proposal agreed by cabinet, but the final details won't be known until announced by the MFA.

rumour has it that the final details will be announced 30th February.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

rumour has it that the final details will be announced 30th February.

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

But if it's a leap year, Feb 31st emoji106.png

Don't trust the rumours.........there are only 28 days in February.............29 in a leap year.