What has happened to the high season?

cyberfarang

I have been in town on business over the last couple of weeks, mornings, afternoons and evenings and it seems void of many tourists, practically dead during the late hours.

Don’t believe the Chiang Mai tourist figures put out by TaT. Can it be that there is no longer a high season in Chiang Mai? Or if it`s there, where is it hiding?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exchange rates may have made Thailand a less attractive destination than before plus people have become aware of other countries in the region where they can spend their money having a good time.

The period of mourning that has been very well promulgated by the government has also had a big effect on the tourist industry.

The fact is that foreign tourists have a choice and they are exercising it. Recent attempt to lure tourists back could take a long time to kick in.

Chiang mai is as boring as can be. Just spent 3 weeks there and left a week early.,mind you if you love hanging with backpackers then I can confirm there were a million of them jamming up the walking streets and night markets

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Business was brisk at the sobriety checkpoint at 2:45am on Tuesday.  There were quite a bit fewer extension applicants at Immigration compared with a year ago.  The drop in the number of Chinese around the west side is even more noticeable.  I,m glad I'm not renting a bar or restaurant, but it could make for a much more enjoyable high season.  What's bad for golf courses; is often great for golfers....

If you try to find parking at the airport you would swear that it is busier than ever! But in the city it does feel like visitor numbers are down. I strolled around the the night market area on Tuesday and most restaurants were quiet and the market was far from busy. By ten thirty there were many bars that were already closed.

Having said that my favourite bar which is in that area is doing a roaring trade. Busier than last year! But then the owner goes to a lot of trouble to create an enjoyable evening for his customers. So it seems that smart operators can still prosper in this town.

I'm unable to tell if they are short or long term but I am seeing farangs more & more in places away from CM downtown.....

Places where, a few years back I was about the only farang about.....These are not "touristy" places/areas so they might be further afield.....

Passed through early night bazaar & the Starbucks, BK, McDs, Hard Rock, Subway makes it seem more like the US than Thailand.....

The train station was packed with back packers yesterday....Dressed in their particular style of dress.....A couple of the girls were minimally clad, and in a different group guys were walking around shirtless - while the Thai's are in mourning clothes.....Droves of songtows with farangs up & down the Canal Rd....

For me, unless something takes me into down town I avoid it during "high" season....I don't like the drivers/traffic, or the way most farangs deport themselves....If anything - either the respectful, high quality tourists are gone, or in hiding.....Also possible the Loi Kroh crowd has shuffled off to Patts or Angeles City......The last time I strolled through there the gals seemed tough/rough & well past their due date.....Not many nubile sweet young things as in times passed.....

Speaking of Loi Kroh - what went in where Mikes Pizza used to be? Had to be uninspiring as I've gone past & not noticed.....

Edited by pgrahmm

12 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

The high season is definitely here, I have seen absolutely loads of indians scouring the streets of Pattaya looking for freebies :)

They're clogging up the bars smoking shisha but at least they are buying plenty water

So reading this thread seems like the Chinese have dropped off all over Thailand. I live in Pattaya and have noticed a marked decrease these past few months. I had a feeling this would happen. For a long while there Thailand was the flavor of the month. So the Thais went crazy throwing up hotels all over the place so they could jump on the Chinese gravy train....but no thought to the prospect that something could happen and the Chinese could cease arriving.

We've had a yearly Pattaya's Dead high season thread every year for the last 10 years. :)

I suggest we can avoid these beloved gloom threads by just calling this time of year "the cool season." High season has been permanently cancelled. That way, no need for anyone to worry themselves and engage in the usual phony hand wringing and death watching.

The Chinese zero dollar tour ban has got rid of most of the big Chinese tours. Otherwise, high season in Pattaya is shaping up nicely enough. All the overbuilding fools a lot of our members by merely spreading out the tourists more than ever, esp the traditional mongers, those great Golden Egg Layers whom we reconsider the only real tourists. 

But lemme be first to prophesy for this year: it will the the LOWEST high season ever, the streets will be deserted at all times, all the bars & hotels will be empty, no condos will be sold, and most shops will closed and boarded up. There! Poor Thailand, returning to the Stone Age. :)

Edited by JSixpack

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

I would agree that numbers are down but then just about everybody seems to be opening a hotel. Can't quite get my head around it! The numbers needed for investment and the returns don't really add up.

the loot has to be parked somewhere

y/day had a lunchtime graze at  Khulek Restaruant on the Ping River directly opposite The   Rivermarket, they had good numbers there,whilst  grazing the Head  waitress, casually remarked  to E/S  that The Rivermarket (ownership) has moved on,  if this info is correct, perhaps this is a sign of  slowing  trade  etc etc

The  Rivermarket  appeared to be empty from where i was sitting

its a Demi Roussos   good morning to all

8 hours ago, mcfish said:

Chiang mai is as boring as can be. Just spent 3 weeks there and left a week early.,mind you if you love hanging with backpackers then I can confirm there were a million of them jamming up the walking streets and night markets

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Boring works for me. Did the bar money run out after 2 weeks. Yeah life sucks. Buck up buttercup. 

5 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Business was brisk at the sobriety checkpoint at 2:45am on Tuesday.  There were quite a bit fewer extension applicants at Immigration compared with a year ago.  The drop in the number of Chinese around the west side is even more noticeable.  I,m glad I'm not renting a bar or restaurant, but it could make for a much more enjoyable high season.  What's bad for golf courses; is often great for golfers....

I'm only afraid that they will decide less golfers equals higher prices to make up for it.  One Khon Kaen course is  600bt for a beat up old cart, won't be golfing there much if they don't raise the price. I think most of the long term stayers will stay here if they can, just because of the superior infrastructure and medical care, when compared to other SE asian countries.  Tourists will save a ton by choosing Cambodia. No good for golf there though.

1 hour ago, TSF said:

So reading this thread seems like the Chinese have dropped off all over Thailand. I live in Pattaya and have noticed a marked decrease these past few months. I had a feeling this would happen. For a long while there Thailand was the flavor of the month. So the Thais went crazy throwing up hotels all over the place so they could jump on the Chinese gravy train....but no thought to the prospect that something could happen and the Chinese could cease arriving.

Build it and they will come does not always work. Just before the sh*t hits the fan new records are set for the tallest buildings in the world. We are at the 11th hour. 

1 minute ago, Grubster said:

I'm only afraid that they will decide less golfers equals higher prices to make up for it.  One Khon Kaen course is  600bt for a beat up old cart, won't be golfing there much if they don't raise the price. I think most of the long term stayers will stay here if they can, just because of the superior infrastructure and medical care, when compared to other SE asian countries.  Tourists will save a ton by choosing Cambodia. No good for golf there though.

My praise to golfers tried it years ago. I gave it up after a visit to my psychiatrist who asked me what I do for fun and I answered "chase a little white ball around the green grass"

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

My praise to golfers tried it years ago. I gave it up after a visit to my psychiatrist who asked me what I do for fun and I answered "chase a little white ball around the green grass"

If it wasn't for golf I would be gone tomorrow. Thats all I do besides work on the house a bit and have a few with the guys.

24 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Ah the smell if diversity is in the air. 

Well I guess I do have a metal detector I would like to use but its a lot more fun with a partner, I used it a couple times finding a lot of current coins, all rusty of course. What do you do for fun?

it is no wonder tourism has dropped off!...the current Thai regime keeps making it more difficult for tourists, with more stringent visa regulations, invasion of tourists' privacy with police/immigration checks, etc...no wonder they go elsewhere...duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

but the Tourism Minister has the right idea!...Pokemon Go will bring lotsa tourists here now!...where do they find these idiots???