2016 Toyota Fortuner Sportivo 4X4

DepDavid

21 hours ago, DepDavid said:

UPDATE:

I received a phone call from Toyota in Bangkok today. Long story short they said every fortune or in my configuration is the same. I said if they are the same then they are all broken so what are we doing to fix it will research and development come up with a program for the computer to make the car shift properly?

The response was no they are not going to do anything because they are all the same.

The customer service guy suggested placing a panel underneath the shift lever to reduce the noise which I agreed to and I also suggested replacing the transmission filter and the transmission oil.

I have called and left a message to set up an appointment with the owner of Buriram Toyota so that he can actually drive my vehicle see the problem for himself and then maybe he can use his position to get research and development to come up with a better program.

As of this moment bottom line is Toyota fortune or with the 2.8 L engine and six speed transmission does not shift properly. There are multiple complaints that it does not shift into six gear properly and Toyota is doing nothing to fix it.

Thanks for the heads up. There are other design flaws so this is just icing on the cake. Will have to want until at least the 2017 models are released. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Met with owner of the dealership today. Very nice man. Receptive to suggestions. They will remove driveline and inspect u-joints and apply sound barrier between transmission and underbody.

They gave me a Revo to drive and the transmission behaves exactly the same as my Fortuner except for the whining noise.

So the shift problem is in the design. We will try to set up meeting with engineers to se if there are any possible fixes.

Just my thoughts though I know nothing about modern computer controlled boxes..

With stuff I have messed with the only time you get a noise from the box is if the planetary gears have a problem, as only 6th has a noise l reckon that could be the prob, a mesh or pivot prob..If I am right it will fail over time...

Your box has two overdrive gears, not one, for highway cruising, speed...5th gear is .68 and 6th is .58...

4th gear is 1 to 1, the gear for basic running around, so 5th is for cruising and 6th is for fast cruising...To me the box will not use 6th gear unless you are using high speed because the ratio is to high for lower speeds..

Trans am I agree. I tried finding gear ratios and power band info in the manual but no luck.

My thoughts however are this:

If the national speed limit is 90kph then it should probably cruise in sixth gear at that speed and do so providing best fuel economy. I find it does run at 102kph at 1500rpm. It just may be that 120-140 is optimal speed for sixth gear but the point remains it does not actually shift automatically the sixth at any of those speeds even at zero acceleration or even slight deceleration.

The noise is most noticeable at 60-100 and does not change in frequency or intensity if I downshift or accelerate or shift into neutral so it is not in relation to engine speed.

I'm still waiting for a response from Toyota Thailand to see if their real engineers will meet with me.

1 minute ago, DepDavid said:

Trans am I agree. I tried finding gear ratios and power band info in the manual but no luck.

My thoughts however are this:

If the national speed limit is 90kph then it should probably cruise in sixth gear at that speed and do so providing best fuel economy. I find it does run at 102kph at 1500rpm. It just may be that 120-140 is optimal speed for sixth gear but the point remains it does not actually shift automatically the sixth at any of those speeds even at zero acceleration or even slight deceleration.

The noise is most noticeable at 60-100 and does not change in frequency or intensity if I downshift or accelerate or shift into neutral so it is not in relation to engine speed.

I'm still waiting for a response from Toyota Thailand to see if their real engineers will meet with me.

Remember the box is NOT a Toyota part, it is an Aisien supplied part....You must talk with them....A box whine is a problem....

Remember the box is NOT a Toyota part, it is an Aisien supplied part....You must talk with them....A box whine is a problem....

You do talk crap.

Toyota are the only people to talk to regardless of who manufacturers the transmission, same with any other part manufactured by a 3rd party.

10 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

You do talk crap.

Toyota are the only people to talk to regardless of who manufacturers the transmission, same with any other part manufactured by a 3rd party.

Hmmm, give advice to someone and you get shitty...

So you think this Toyota dealership is "right" to stick a lump of felt under the floor to hide an obvious fault in a new gearbox, that is there fix...?....Good grief..

Think you cannot see past your nose....The OP should bring Aisin into the frame as this is the ONLY box I have heard of with a noise problem. Get Aisin to talk to Toyota cos the customer ain't happy with a half ass fix...

Hmmm, give advice to someone and you get shitty...

So you think this Toyota dealership is "right" to stick a lump of felt under the floor to hide an obvious fault in a new gearbox, that is there fix...?....Good grief..

Think you cannot see past your nose....The OP should bring Aisin into the frame as this is the ONLY box I have heard of with a noise problem. Get Aisin to talk to Toyota cos the customer ain't happy with a half ass fix...

No 3rd party supplier would ever get directly involved with a customer. Toyota are the only point of contact and they would have to be the ones who deal with them, if they deem it necessary.

And no. Of course I don't think Toyota have dealt with the problem correctly.

3 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

No 3rd party supplier would ever get directly involved with a customer. Toyota are the only point of contact and they would have to be the ones who deal with them, if they deem it necessary.

And no. Of course I don't think Toyota have dealt with the problem correctly.

But YOU seem quite happy to let Toyota stick a bit of felt under the floor as a fix if it were your ride...ME, I would do everything in my power to get folk involved, that's how you get stuff looked at, if Aisin say some boxes may have a whine in 6th then OK, if they say it should not whine then the OP should ask them to contact Toyota, get the ball rolling and not just sit on your ass till the lump of felt falls off with heat or the box fails...

But YOU seem quite happy to let Toyota stick a bit of felt under the floor as a fix if it were your ride...ME, I would do everything in my power to get folk involved, that's how you get stuff looked at, if Aisin say some boxes may have a whine in 6th then OK, if they say it should not whine then the OP should ask them to contact Toyota, get the ball rolling and not just sit on your ass till the lump of felt falls off with heat or the box fails...

Certainly not. If it was my car I'd be trying as hard as possible to get as high as possible within Toyota until it is properly fixed.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Just now, JaseTheBass said:

Certainly not. If it was my car I'd be trying as hard as possible to get as high as possible within Toyota until it is properly fixed.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

As I said, the box is not made by Toyota, it is supplied by Aisin, the Toyota fix is a non starter for me and should be the same for the OP, must get answers or help from the manufacturer as the fix ain't ON....A few minutes on a PC via email is the starting point....Easy- peasy for folk like me who will not be hoodwinked..

I am not talking crap as YOU stated..........

As I said, the box is not made by Toyota, it is supplied by Aisin, the Toyota fix is a non starter for me and should be the same for the OP, must get answers or help from the manufacturer as the fix ain't ON....A few minutes on a PC via email is the starting point....Easy- peasy for folk like me who will not be hoodwinked..

I am not talking crap as YOU stated..........

He bought the car from Toyota. His warranty is with Toyota. The responsibility lies with Toyota to get it fixed.

The end.

Agreed. I sent two emails to the gearbox manufacturer with no response from them, just as I figured but worth a try. They have a comment on their website indicating they will not deal with the consumer.

I hope to hear next week regarding a meeting with Toyota, there is still hope.

1 hour ago, DepDavid said:

Agreed. I sent two emails to the gearbox manufacturer with no response from them, just as I figured but worth a try. They have a comment on their website indicating they will not deal with the consumer.

I hope to hear next week regarding a meeting with Toyota, there is still hope.

Then YOU ask Aisin, does the 6 speed in a Fortuner  have a whine noise in 6th gear..GO FOR IT............

• 3 weeks later...

So today met with another technician who brought a listening device that was connected externally to the transmission, transfer case, and rear differential. The noise can be clearly heard coming from the transfer case.

They agree to replace the transfer case however believe the noise is within normal limit.

My belief is that a new transfer case will greatly reduce if not eliminate this noise. Let's see.

David

Sent from my iPhone

1 minute ago, DepDavid said:

So today met with another technician who brought a listening device that was connected externally to the transmission, transfer case, and rear differential. The noise can be clearly heard coming from the transfer case.

They agree to replace the transfer case however believe the noise is within normal limit.

My belief is that a new transfer case will greatly reduce if not eliminate this noise. Let's see.

David

Sent from my iPhone

I hope they replace the internals, that is where the noise is being made and transmitted..

Any idea when the 2017 models will be released when this issue will be sorted out. Obviously, there are almost always issues when a new model is released but they don't want to admit it as a recall can get expensive. I remember the first year the Vigo was released the breaking was inadequate the next year they quietly increased capacity. 

1 hour ago, fullcave said:

Any idea when the 2017 models will be released when this issue will be sorted out. Obviously, there are almost always issues when a new model is released but they don't want to admit it as a recall can get expensive. I remember the first year the Vigo was released the breaking was inadequate the next year they quietly increased capacity. 

Really...?

3 hours ago, transam said:

Really...?

Yes, I checked into after the accident, however, the brakes were not faulty and the exceeded Thai standards...:whistling: The following year they quietly upgraded the brakes. Never by the first year of release! The new Fortuna also has an issue with the windows leaking but they won't admit it. Trust me on the 2017 model these issues will vanish. However, don't believe me, wait and see for yourself. 

Edited by fullcave

For a final update I had the transfer case and internals replaced by Buriram Toyota. They are an outstanding dealership very pleasant to work with everyone is always helpful but at the dealership level there are limitations that's why we had to go to Toyota directly.

Of the three issues that I had with the transmission two have been repaired.

The hard shift going into sixth gear and the noise coming from the transfer case have both been resolved however the shift problem into sixth gear with human intervention is still an issue.

We tested the transmission shifting and had a computer attached to the ECU to show acceleration and gear change.

In order to get the transmission to shift into sixth gear with human intervention you have to release the accelerator and bring acceleration down to about 10 to 12%.

The customer service representative insisted that the computer was indicating acceleration and not throttle position.

When driving normally on a flat surface with no acceleration the transmission does not shift into sixth gear. However when you engage cruise control while maintaining a steady speed the transmission will shift into six gear and did so according to the computer at 25% acceleration.

The response from the customer service representative who is actually doing the driving said see it does it the same in cruise control mode which clearly was not the case.

In my opinion the programming for human intervention versus cruise control intervention is very different and probably should not be.

Since there have been many complaints regarding the shifting into sixth gear I certainly hope the Toyota is looking into another reprogramming of the ECU to provide a better shift pattern.

16 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

For a final update I had the transfer case and internals replaced by Buriram Toyota. They are an outstanding dealership very pleasant to work with everyone is always helpful but at the dealership level there are limitations that's why we had to go to Toyota directly.

Of the three issues that I had with the transmission two have been repaired.

The hard shift going into sixth gear and the noise coming from the transfer case have both been resolved however the shift problem into sixth gear with human intervention is still an issue.

We tested the transmission shifting and had a computer attached to the ECU to show acceleration and gear change.

In order to get the transmission to shift into sixth gear with human intervention you have to release the accelerator and bring acceleration down to about 10 to 12%.

The customer service representative insisted that the computer was indicating acceleration and not throttle position.

When driving normally on a flat surface with no acceleration the transmission does not shift into sixth gear. However when you engage cruise control while maintaining a steady speed the transmission will shift into six gear and did so according to the computer at 25% acceleration.

The response from the customer service representative who is actually doing the driving said see it does it the same in cruise control mode which clearly was not the case.

In my opinion the programming for human intervention versus cruise control intervention is very different and probably should not be.

Since there have been many complaints regarding the shifting into sixth gear I certainly hope the Toyota is looking into another reprogramming of the ECU to provide a better shift pattern.

I am happy it hear it was an internal fault as I thought. As for your second overdrive gear, well l recon the box is probably doing it's job and not using that gear until you are really flying..

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, fullcave said:

Yes, I checked into after the accident, however, the brakes were not faulty and the exceeded Thai standards...:whistling: The following year they quietly upgraded the brakes. Never by the first year of release! The new Fortuna also has an issue with the windows leaking but they won't admit it. Trust me on the 2017 model these issues will vanish. However, don't believe me, wait and see for yourself. 

Have to agree with you.

The early Fortunas had the same brake set up as the Vigo, both cured by Bigger discs drums servo. First ones released were pigs to stop when loaded.      

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Have to agree with you.

The early Fortunas had the same brake set up as the Vigo, both cured by Bigger discs drums servo. First ones released were pigs to stop when loaded.      

They fitted bigger discs and drums....?