Teachers warned cutting student's hair could be assault, says online lawyer

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

My wife had her haircut by her teacher when she was at school because it was to long. In the photo's she has shown me, all the girls have the same bob haircut.

Brigante7.

Because that is the government regulation. These kids generally get several warnings abut getting their hair cut before a teacher will do it. In my private school, my son was also asked to get his cut. He told me, so we got it done. His friends didn't bother with it so they got  free one from the teacher. Som nam naa. They had their chance. It's the child's responsibility to follow up on getting their hair cut. They know the consequences of not doing so. 

28 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Because that is the government regulation. These kids generally get several warnings abut getting their hair cut before a teacher will do it. In my private school, my son was also asked to get his cut. He told me, so we got it done. His friends didn't bother with it so they got  free one from the teacher. Som nam naa. They had their chance. It's the child's responsibility to follow up on getting their hair cut. They know the consequences of not doing so. 

The regulation is, for boys, no hair longer than the hair line, and for girls, no wearing hair longer than the neck line, how does that transpose to being allowed to shave their heads?  At the very most they should be allowed to reduce their hair to the acceptable lengths.

10 hours ago, apex2000 said:

I've seen this many times. Why are schools so strict about hair length - shorter hair means a student is more intelligent? No way.
If schools were more concerned about their teaching and not waste so much time on checking the length of students' hair, maybe the general level of education would increase.
Yes, schools need to have rules, but this hair thing is ridiculous. As long as the student's hair is respectably tidy - maybe tied back in the case of females - there should be no need for any other rule or any abuse by the cutting of hair by teachers.

Sadly, it is social control and the pi / nong bs..

Also the iodine deficiency cannot be cured...

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Prevents nits? Really?

I honestly did not know that.

PS nits are present in schools everywhere

I didn't say it prevents nits, I said it helps. 

Yes, nits are present in schools everywhere and that is 1 of the many reasons all schools have a policy of some kind to do with hair. 

I understand this is a hairy topic for some, but oh get a grip. Hair today gone tomorrow. 

11 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I didn't say it prevents nits, I said it helps. 

Yes, nits are present in schools everywhere and that is 1 of the many reasons all schools have a policy of some kind to do with hair. 

I understand this is a hairy topic for some, but oh get a grip. Hair today gone tomorrow. 

Schools hair policies have nothing to do with nits in my experience.

Much more to do with conformity. 

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Schools hair policies have nothing to do with nits in my experience.

Much more to do with conformity. 

Of course they don't otherwise they would be the same for boys and girls.  But there is more to uniforms and appearance codes than conformity, they are also about humbling the privileged and including the lesser so.

19 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Of course they don't otherwise they would be the same for boys and girls.  But there is more to uniforms and appearance codes than conformity, they are also about humbling the privileged and including the lesser so.

Don't know about that.

My experience has been that most teachers [or at least those making the rules] don't like anything out of the norm, be it use of product, personal fashion statements, shaved patterns in the side and in particular I've witnessed teachers go ballistic when a kid turns up with a mohican style cut. 

Personally I don't really have a problem with how a kids hair looks, but then again I don't really have a problem with schools setting their own limits on hair styling.

Same goes with uniforms for me as well.

However, teachers cutting the hair, well now, that's a different issue altogether.

Edited by Bluespunk

19 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Don't know about that.

My experience has been that most teachers [or at least those making the rules] don't like anything out of the norm, be it use of product, personal fashion statements, shaved patterns in the side and in particular I've witnessed teachers go ballistic when a kid turns up with a mohican style cut. 

Personally I don't really have a problem with how a kids hair looks, but then again I don't really have a problem with schools setting their own limits on hair styling.

Same goes with uniforms for me as well.

However, teachers cutting the hair, well now, that's a different issue altogether.

Yes, actually cutting the hair is a different matter, for me it is akin to them ripping off a students clothing if they feel this is not suitable, they just should not be interfering with the children, if there is a rule that they feel they must enforce then send them home or call the parents.

As for what I was saying, check out the history of school uniforms, they started at the public schools in the UK, they were very privileged children and they were made to wear sack cloth, a good humbling experience considering many of them would have gone on to be the bosses of people who could afford nothing more.  The concept evolved with the state schools as a way of making all the children look the same, no expensive shirts or cheap shirts, just school shirts, and so a little less to bully over.  I am in two minds about it all, on the one hand I think children should be free to appear as they please, but on the other hand I feel sorry for the poorer kids, and at least at school it is not so noticeable.  I don't think it would be a bad idea to ban Bodyglove from Thai schools, these types of fashion fads put unnecessary financial pressure on parents and create social divisions within the school.  But hair really is a different issue, hair style is not directly related to the cost of a haircut, in fact the issue here is not cutting the hair, so I am probably off on a bit of a tangent but I do see some good in making all the school children look alike.

8 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

And where did you get that little one from?

We are not allowed to post links as per forum rules however if you search "University accused of selling fake teaching qualifications" I'm sure you will find the link from BP. This is just one instance and there has been more.

When I went to school ( 73 upwards), we had no uniforms, no regulated haircut ( i had shoulder long...as a boy) and my school & classes had many students from "poorer" areas of town! We did not drown in head lice, we were tought tolerance ( and it worked EXACTLY like you would expected) instead of acting out conformity and we turned out quiet normal and useful members of society!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

19 hours ago, keith101 said:

I totally agree , teachers are there to teach and have no right to touch their students . Cutting a students hair is physical abuse and possibly mental abuse as well . Why should a school dictate how their hair should be cut when  it has absolutely no affect on learning what so ever and should be up to the individual .

By that theory students could appear in school nude or carrying weapons.

I think the school should have the right to set rules on how students should dress and appear. They carry the image of the school with them and the school may wish to retain a reputation.

Of course it is not the place of teachers to play barber,  this is overstepping their authority, but they could send the child home, call the parents or other such method, or employ a guy with a set of Wahl clippers on-site to shave their heads down to the wood! (The last suggestion is a joke!..... TV readers need to be told this!).

this story is focused on the wrong thing!

what if the ****student**** doesn't cut her own hair.... to the rules?

never mind just what the proper advice to ajarn should or should not be.

this is very serious.

take it from me.... I was a farlang government official ajarn, now retired. you need to spend more time in the system and then you will understand how serious this is.

it is not at all funny! 

Edited by maewang99

19 hours ago, greenchair said:

It amazes me that sexual abuse, rape, promotion of lgbt in children, bullying, cheating,  drugs and teenage pregnancy are rampant in thai schools, with barely a murmur actually making it to the courts. 

But oh my god expect children to have school appropriate hair and they want to sack the teachers and prosecute. This is great coming from people that have never had to deal with 50 teenagers in a class. 

Might surprise people to know that there are rules about hair in our countries too. And you get sent home until you fix it. 

You're right, sent home, not hacked at by an amateur.

7 hours ago, DM07 said:

When I went to school ( 73 upwards), we had no uniforms, no regulated haircut ( i had shoulder long...as a boy) and my school & classes had many students from "poorer" areas of town! We did not drown in head lice, we were tought tolerance ( and it worked EXACTLY like you would expected) instead of acting out conformity and we turned out quiet normal and useful members of society!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What country, is it one with a rampant wealth disparity?  Being from the UK, where inequality goes unchecked, there is a need to be inclusive, allow children to wear their home clothes and there will be groups in designer clothes and others in rags, that is the sad reality of the UK.

School in our village has a strict policy of what is worn and what hair should be like pictures are posted for parents and students alike. Dress code wise all very simple most is supplied by the school every year anyway. Hair wise if a teacher deems hair is to long student is sent in effect to head of year if she/he agrees it's to long then student is taken to barbers shop in the village if a boy or here to mrs's women's hair salon. This is paid for by the school 20 bht. End of conversation it's a tried and trusted way.

6 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Parents need to understand that the school does not belong to them. 

Each school has its own standards, which is their right. 

If the parents want a more relaxed hair policy they can change schools. 

We the tax payers own the schools, understand that!

this story is focused on the wrong thing!

what if the ****student**** doesn't cut her own hair.... to the rules?

never mind just what the proper advice to ajarn should or should not be.

this is very serious.

take it from me.... I was a farlang government official ajarn, now retired. you need to spend more time in the system and then you will understand how serious this is.

it is not at all funny! 

You were a "farlang government official ajarn"?

I take it you didn't teach grammar and punctuation then?

17 hours ago, greenchair said:

Girls have to have their hair tyed back . This helps to prevent nits  (which by the way is epidemic in thai schools ) boys are not allowed long hair and most schools generally have a reasonable length guideline. Boys and girls are not allowed colored hair, punk rock hair, rings and studs in their noses. Studded wrist bands. I don't believe you when you say there are no hair rules in England. They represent the name of the school. Teaching your kid to follow school rules will serve them well in society later. 

So what's your country then ? I now many young lads with long hair in England and some with coloured hair ,they can not be discriminated against because of that

On 13/12/2016 at 10:23 AM, apex2000 said:

I've seen this many times. Why are schools so strict about hair length - shorter hair means a student is more intelligent? No way.
If schools were more concerned about their teaching and not waste so much time on checking the length of students' hair, maybe the general level of education would increase.
Yes, schools need to have rules, but this hair thing is ridiculous. As long as the student's hair is respectably tidy - maybe tied back in the case of females - there should be no need for any other rule or any abuse by the cutting of hair by teachers.

In the UK if a student does not conform to school hair policy they are banned from school.