Would you pay new car price for a used car?

watcharacters

New and used car prices are just high in Thailand due to Thai govt excise and import tax (and I'm not talking the 7% VAT which applied also).   Excise/import/VAT can easily raise the price of the typical vehicle in Thailand  by around 35% (or significantly more if a larger engine size or not made in Thailand).    The Thai govt relies heavily on excise and import for their overall tax revenue since so many people do not file/pay personal income tax.    And even though excise/import/VAT tax is only paid once since that raised the price of a new vehicle so much it just keeps the price of used vehicle high also.   Just a product of the Thai tax revenue structure.  

And what is sad I expect the great majority of Thais don't realize the high cost is caused by taxes applied by their own govt before the new vehicle arrives the car lot for sale....they just think it costs that much to make a vehicle with plus a little profit added on.

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

OP needs to give a bit more information.

As far as I am aware there are plenty of people willing to pay well over the "new" price for certain used cars. But these  cars are usually in the super car bracket.

Example: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/second-hand-ferrari-selling-million-7219292

You're right chicken.     My OP was indeed sketchy but  made so in order to make a point.

I used the  idea of a car as an example but perhaps it wasn't the best example as  certain cars can as impulse  and you stated.

What I'm really talking about is  a   policy I've faced with a merchant selling the last item of a model which  has been on display and he wants full price for the item even though it comes without it's box or instructions and etc.      I  haven't even mentioned the wear and tear it undergoes as customers turn dial and what not.

It's just venting  on my part but honestly I  can't understand why anyone would buy something at full price when it's been used by the merchant as a display model.     I expected to find different stores in the area charging exactly the same price for the same model due to little competition and thankfully for me, there is a local merchant  that has the display model  I chose as new in the factory sealed box.

When I mentioned it to one friend he said he'd automatically expect a 30% discount off the new price if  a product is  a display item.      I think that's about right.

I suppose the policy I've seen far more than once can be written off to a matter of  limited customer service, but for the life of me, I can't imagine buying from the merchant that has that policy.     And I'm talking a major  department store.

Done..

If they let you buy the last one discounted, they then have to figure out what to display in its place... they don't want to have to make that decision but if you pay full price maybe they will, maybe they won't...

A couple of times I've not been allowed buy the last item in stock even at full price (sold out/unavailable everywhere else), because they don't know when or if new stock will become available and they don't want an empty display... no interest in finding anything else to fill the space... major department store so no-one wants to take responsibility at department level. Someone also told me if a company was paying a premium for the display space they were not allowed to put items from another company there, even if they ended up with nothing to put there. I've seen cold drink fridges filled with every brand of drink except the one advertised in mini-marts so no problem deciding in owner operated shops it seems...

About five years ago, many cars like Honda and Toyota were wait listed for delivery but they wouldn't sell you the floor models otherwise the showroom would have been empty. 

You're right chicken.     My OP was indeed sketchy but  made so in order to make a point.

I used the  idea of a car as an example but perhaps it wasn't the best example as  certain cars can as impulse  and you stated.

What I'm really talking about is  a   policy I've faced with a merchant selling the last item of a model which  has been on display and he wants full price for the item even though it comes without it's box or instructions and etc.      I  haven't even mentioned the wear and tear it undergoes as customers turn dial and what not.

It's just venting  on my part but honestly I  can't understand why anyone would buy something at full price when it's been used by the merchant as a display model.     I expected to find different stores in the area charging exactly the same price for the same model due to little competition and thankfully for me, there is a local merchant  that has the display model  I chose as new in the factory sealed box.

When I mentioned it to one friend he said he'd automatically expect a 30% discount off the new price if  a product is  a display item.      I think that's about right.

I suppose the policy I've seen far more than once can be written off to a matter of  limited customer service, but for the life of me, I can't imagine buying from the merchant that has that policy.     And I'm talking a major  department store.

Done..

Twice not so long ago I bought display items from a reputable chain and paid full price. I must admit I was a little surprised there was no negotiating a floor model discount. Each item could've been ordered and received within days so I guess it made sense that the merchant held the price. If you buy it he has no display to encourage orders and has to buy another one to put back on display. Each item looked not too old and came with the box, instructions, warranty and all the miscellaneous parts and pieces.
Luckily so far so good as my wife would have preferred to order them new.

If I've spent any significant amount of time looking for an item, and I finally find one on display -but they want full price- it's a balance between the value of my time vs the price.  The vendor probably knows better than I do how popular the item is, and how likely he is to get full retail.

It's one thing if I can go next door and buy a new one in a box.  It's a whole different story if it's an eclectic item.  I've had too many times when I've taken a little time to stew over the decision- and then it's gone when I come back to actually purchase it.

With cars, there are some (typically new released) cars that go for well above list price when the owner of the almost new car finds out there's a 12 month waiting list and people willing to pay good money to jump to the front of the line- even on a slightly used car.

13 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

OP needs to give a bit more information.

As far as I am aware there are plenty of people willing to pay well over the "new" price for certain used cars. But these  cars are usually in the super car bracket.

Example: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/second-hand-ferrari-selling-million-7219292

Am I missing something....why not just buy it new if it is available and cheaper?

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Done..

Wether you buy it or not is your choice. As a shop keeper in another life I had many products out on display never used or working if they were made to work,If someone wanted a particular product and the displayedone was the last I would explain this to the purchaser let them inspect the product. I would then box it as new. There would be no discount. There was never enough profit in things to to discount it. However the likes of lotus can do this easily and still make a profit perks of bulk buying for instance 55 inch curved screen smart tv. Been out on display for at least a year usual price 54k on offer at 27k offered 22k bought for 23k. If that was my shop it would have been sold at 54k. As always a customer has the right to walk away. So there's two sides to every story.

Thai people are unaware that second hand cars are so very much cheaper in Europe and USA. I showed my Thai GF some second hand Mercs on Autotrader (UK), after seeing some for sale locally, and used a calculator to show the price in Thai baht and she thought I was kidding her!

On the plus side, some new cars, especially if manufactured locally can be cheaper compared to Europe; the finance can be cheap also, I cannot believe my GF drove off with a brand new Isuzu pickup for a tiny  B250 deposit!

Unless it is something special I would avoid used cars.

On 19/12/2016 at 5:44 PM, impulse said:

A '63 Corvette convertible went for $4,037 brand new.

I'd pay that...

Me too..use to have 63 split window when I was 19 still kicking myself for selling it. Big bucks now days.

7 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Done..

It is not typical policy and bound to get someone upset, though not too upset. The manager is probably holding it for his brother in law or something like that who will be there at the moment of price reduction... these things happen. 

1 hour ago, Nbarch said:

Thai people are unaware that second hand cars are so very much cheaper in Europe and USA. I showed my Thai GF some second hand Mercs on Autotrader (UK), after seeing some for sale locally, and used a calculator to show the price in Thai baht and she thought I was kidding her!

On the plus side, some new cars, especially if manufactured locally can be cheaper compared to Europe; the finance can be cheap also, I cannot believe my GF drove off with a brand new Isuzu pickup for a tiny  B250 deposit!

Why would they be aware ? after all it's totally irrelevant to them, unless they live in Europe or the US or course !

3 hours ago, Nbarch said:

What kind of guy shows Merc to his GF and let her drive an Isuzu ???

21 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Done..

So you're not really talking about used cars per se?  As for department stores, I'd imagine that the customer service folks would have very little latitude to offer discounts on anything.  If you're talking a little mom and pop store, then of course the owner can discount anything he/she wants. 

It amazes me the expensive price of cars in Thailand. Both new and used. It was a subject that I didn't really research before first coming to LOS many years ago. I fully expected that I'd be able to buy a nice 5yo used car for maybe 150,000-200,000 baht.

After visiting several used car dealers, I was totally convinced they were all taking the piss, and trying to con me. 5555  Took a little while to realise that I'd completely missed the boat on this car business   5555

In Australia, the price of a new Ford Fiesta is way way cheaper than the same car here in Thailand.

Here's the silly part. The Oz Fiesta's are fully imported from Thailand  !!  How the hell does that work ? 

By expat standards, Thai cars certainly seem to be way overpriced, but that's the way it is. "When in Rome ......." 

Scooters .... much cheaper here than "back home" 

On 20-12-2016 at 8:41 PM, amjamj said:

What kind of guy shows Merc to his GF and let her drive an Isuzu ???

I know a Thai named Benz but he drives an old crappy nissan.

If i really want to have the item i will pay full price for the showmodel. If you don't do it you'll loose weeks searching for it.