• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, transam said:

More like the CM area, hope all is revealed soon.......:thumbsup:

Pretty sure all will be revealed at some point regarding the "false votes", seems this thread is more entertaining that the actual original poll.

Issan, Chiang Mai all red shirt areas :smile:

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Over the years it has been rather an old boys club innit.

No, the POTY award hasn't been JT.  In fact, it's been rather "diverse", what with you winning in 2014, me in 2015 and now a wealthy elitist Klingon in 2016.  If anything, it's remarkable that Trans -- an older, bald white guy, living in  Isaan with his younger, much prettier Thai wife (i.e. the alleged "typical" TV forum member) hasn't won the POTY award in his several attempts.  

Perhaps it's just the older white guys living in isolation in Isaan who have time on their hands and post more often, but others "lurk" here reading their posts for entertainment and come out at POTY time to reward others who provide some balance.

1 minute ago, NancyL said:

No, the POTY award hasn't been JT.  In fact, it's been rather "diverse", what with you winning in 2014, me in 2015 and now a wealthy elitist Klingon in 2016.  If anything, it's remarkable that Trans -- an older, bald white guy, living in  Isaan with his younger, much prettier Thai wife (i.e. the alleged "typical" TV forum member) hasn't won the POTY award in his several attempts.  

Perhaps it's just the older white guys living in isolation in Isaan who have time on their hands and post more often, but others "lurk" here reading their posts for entertainment and come out at POTY time to reward others who provide some balance.

Only been put forward twice, got Silver on both....Fink it was cos I showed my hansumness on both attempts.. b0212.gif

4 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Wow ... does The Blether live next door to you ... 

Drats, can't get anything by NancyL!

obeyorelse.jpg

24 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Two out of the three most recent POTY winners have provided large doses of helpful, useful advice to others publicly, on a sustained basis, perhaps that's the real directional shift that is unsettling to others.

Edited by chiang mai

6 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Two out of the three most recent POTY winners have provided large doses of helpful, useful advice to others publicly, on a sustained basis, perhaps that's the real directional shift that is unsettling to others.

Actually, I think all three of us have.  I don't know which one of the three of us you don't think is especially helpful, but if you review posts you'll find we're all helpful, although one can be the class clown in certain forums.  

That being said, I think you're onto something, although for the life of me I don't know why anyone would want this forum NOT to be helpful and resent those who are helpful.

I think there was and is a cliquish feel to the process which is not a good thing. Candidates disparaged some people posting as Newbies. What is that sort of puerile behaviour for?  Restricting voting is also wrong. Just because we are a Thailand forum, it doesn't mean we have to copy the country's strange ideas of democracy. Such a low turnout markedly devalues the award.

1 hour ago, sipi said:

I wasn't sure if pinning it was a good idea rather than just bumping it.

I rarely look at pinned topics unless notified but always look at recent threads.

I can't see how many views it got this year compared to previous on my phone.

Edit.. Over 18 thousand views this hear. Not to be scoffed at.

That's not 18,000 individual viewers..

That could have been 20 members viewing 500 times each and then the rest....

Judging from the volume of posts from some individual members in the thread it's not an unreasonable assumption

Edited by BookMan

8 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Actually, I think all three of us have.  I don't know which one of the three of us you don't think is especially helpful, but if you review posts you'll find we're all helpful, although one can be the class clown in certain forums.  

That being said, I think you're onto something, although for the life of me I don't know why anyone would want this forum NOT to be helpful and resent those who are helpful.

I would say 3 out of last 4, as David was quite helpful in several forums. 

Your involvement with CEC, your persistent challenges on the Immigration front and your involvement with LannaCare are important contributions to the expat community.

Naam's advice and guidance through the economics and financial markets has proved invaluable to many, his engineering inputs have also helped large numbers of people.

The trend globally in many areas of life in several countries now is for change, that seems to be change away from old boy chat, elitism, domination by established players etc, I think what we've seen here is merely an extension of all of that.

30 minutes ago, transam said:

I wouldn't wish that on anyone...........:shock1:

just thinking, my ex UK wife is now 50 and Mrs.Trans is 48, there's me at 36 having led a hard life... b0213.gif

Wow! Are you really only 36?

Judging by your photos, I thought you were at least 38!

And I don't believe Mrs Trans is 48. She could easily pass for 42 / 43.

Stay cool, Mr Silver.

7 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Where on earth does this figure of 217 votes come from. It is nowhere near correct.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

217 is the figure I quoted because someone else mentioned it.

Why not give a breakdown:

1. how many votes were real

2. how many were suspect

3. who is the banned former member who presumably created several dozen accounts in an attempt to derail the contest. 

I ask this question because I feel it's important that Transam's integrity is put beyond reasonable doubt.

Edited by Fabricus

24 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Your involvement with CEC, your persistent challenges on the Immigration front and your involvement with LannaCare are important contributions to the expat community.

Naam's advice and guidance through the economics and financial markets has proved invaluable to many, his engineering inputs have also helped large numbers of people.

The trend globally in many areas of life in several countries now is for change, that seems to be change away from old boy chat, elitism, domination by established players etc, I think what we've seen here is merely an extension of all of that.

Thank you, and let's not leave out JT, the 2014 winner who has helped many with his Pattaya restaurant reviews, many thoughtful threads in the "Home Country" forum and unrelenting war with Pattaya's baht bus drivers (or so I've heard).  It's every bit as important and just as productive as what I've done with CM Immigration.

Edit:  and I suspect the baht bus drivers can be pretty intimidating, too.

3 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Thank you, and let's not leave out JT, the 2014 winner who has helped many with his Pattaya restaurant reviews, many thoughtful threads in the "Home Country" forum and unrelenting war with Pattaya's baht bus drivers (or so I've heard).  It's every bit as important and just as productive as what I've done with CM Immigration.

Edit:  and I suspect the baht bus drivers can be pretty intimidating, too.

JT's personal crusade against Baht Bus Drivers, where he has put his life on the line on a number of occasions to save a few baht is not to be sniffed at. He is a legend just for that, but also among all the mickey taking he has made significant contributions to the forum. I think JT should have been nominated again this year.

1 minute ago, Cockwomble said:

JT's personal crusade against Baht Bus Drivers, where he has put his life on the line on a number of occasions to save a few baht is not to be sniffed at. He is a legend just for that, but also among all the mickey taking he has made significant contributions to the forum. I think JT should have been nominated again this year.

Couldn't agree more. For a Yank he is a pretty good bloke. In the Pattaya forum he has contributed as much as anyone. I hope he will be eligible for next year.

4 minutes ago, Cockwomble said:

I agree with this.

In other words, I disagree that former winners should be prevented from competing.

If you continually weed out previous winners, the competition just gets meaningless.

The POTY only really works when forum heavyweights like Transam, JingThing, Blether, David and Nancy line up and put on the gloves.

I for one would love to see Transam give Blether a blinding left hook. I'm sure Blether would respond with a well-timed uppercut, but might JingThing step in with an exquisite suckerpunch? 

17 hours ago, Flanno said:

Interestingly there were 46 pages of comments on another thread here re POTY yet there were only 160 eligible votes registered. Somehow I think not  many of us take this 'popularity' contest too seriously.

That was 160 votes for just 2 nominees, there were more.

right on, Naam!...how're the CBBA chiles comin' along? when ripe grind up with tomatoes, onions and quirqina to make a nice CBBA valley lla' qua...good on plain boiled potatoes and whatever else ye got...

(everybody note...tutsi likes to give helpful advice too...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

55 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Where on earth does this figure of 217 votes come from. It is nowhere near correct.

If you would care to open   

then you will view the header  2016 Poster Of The Year   217 members have voted

I just checked it right now .... 217 still there

Edited by LivinginKata