The Deadly Days On The Roads

prakhonchai nick

Today, 29th December is the first of the supposed 7 deadly New Year Holiday Days on Thailand's roads. We are told every year that speeding and drunk driving are the prime causes of hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries over this holiday period.. Much the same goes for the Songkran holiday period

One would think therefore that as a result of all the committee meetings that take place between government ministers, the transport dept etc. some serious penalties would be passed on to transgressors.  We are told that vehicles driven by drunk drivers will be impounded for the holiday period, and that seems to be about it. Tens of thousands of drunk drivers and just a few hundred vehicles impounded, with many police raking in backhanders of thousands of bant to turn a blind eye.

I am aware of speeding fines being handed out today of just 200bt (much the same as normal). Why  oh why not increase these ridiculously low fines to something like a minimum of 2,000bt, with perhaps 5,000 or even 10,000bt over the deadly days period? That might just deter some motorists and save a few lives.  In addition why not impound the vehicles of those caught speeding, regardless of who they are, where they are, where they are trevelling to, or what inconvenience it may cause the driver and passengers?.

Of course let every motorist know beforehand what will happen to them. Then its up to them.

Changes need to be made but never are regardless of who runs the country. It will need a family member of a PM to be killed before any action is ever taken. Sod everyone else who may be injured or die!

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Every day is a deadly day on the roads.

I wonder what's the average daily death count over a year compared to the number who die each day over the New Year period ?

It is true & many have often cited Thailand as having the 2nd deadliest roads in the world 2nd only compared to Libya

I also am amazed when I think there are more deaths in a day on Thai roads than a year compared to the State I now live in.

Granted our population is much less but still the shear numbers Per Day amaze me. That is every day not just these holiday weeks that

have incredibly high death rates.

Lastly in the years we lived in Thailand during this time of year & even more so during  Songkran ...I would mention to my wife

that it is scary to think that 400+ people in Thailand (442 dead 3656 injuries 3447 accidents in 7 days if Sonkran 2016)  are leaving their homes this week 

to drive to a family home etc. not knowing it is their last week alive

Edited by mania

You guys make it sound like more laws and regulations are what's needed.  That it will magically eliminate road fatalities.  More government crackdowns.  More cops, more tickets, more more more.  Yet, we have American drivers dying every day in the US despite much stricter driving laws and safer vehicles. 

"Car crash deaths climb despite better auto safety"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/08/25/car-crash-deaths-climb-despite-better-auto-safety/89275162/

and

http://blog.caranddriver.com/whats-driving-the-massive-surge-in-traffic-deaths/

Point is people dying on the roads is not isolated to Thailand.  What's more dangerous in Thailand is the large number of motorcycles on the road with lots of cars/trucks/vans.  So if you're in a car, your risk of dying or being seriously hurt goes way down.  Anyways,  I would hate it if the government started installing radars everywhere and making driving crazy strict.  I like driving in Thailand the way it is.  Better roads would help.

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You guys make it sound like more laws and regulations are what's needed.  That it will magically eliminate road fatalities.  More government crackdowns.  More cops, more tickets, more more more.  Yet, we have American drivers dying every day in the US despite much stricter driving laws and safer vehicles. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/08/25/car-crash-deaths-climb-despite-better-auto-safety/89275162/

and

Point is people dying on the roads is not isolated to Thailand.  What's more dangerous in Thailand is the large number of motorcycles on the road with lots of cars/trucks/vans.  So if you're in a car, your risk of dying or being seriously hurt goes way down.  Anyways,  I would hate it if the government started installing radars everywhere and making driving crazy strict.  I like driving in Thailand the way it is.  Better roads would help.

In America it can all be explained by "texting". Young females which used to be the least expensive to insure are now the most expensive.

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

In America it can all be explained by "texting". Young females which used to be the least expensive to insure are now the most expensive.

Interesting.  I remember as a young man how we all accepted the insurance companies verdict that young female drivers were better risk than young males.  How things have changed.   

22 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

and

Fact is it is the motorcyclists that are dying as a result of accidents with cars/trucks. Not apportioning blame, yet most likely the motorbikes are more at fault than the speding cars/trucks. but that is how it is. Eliminate speed, and deaths and injuries will automatically reduce. Then  (and it should have been done ages ago) tackle the motorcyclists. most of whom have -or appear to have,  no idea about traffic rules, nor the presence of other vehicles on the road. . Put the age limit up to 16/17 for bikes,  down to 17 for small cars,enforce it, and get all the schoolkids off bikes!

Edited by prakhonchai nick

21 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

and

If you like driving in Thailand, you must be one of a kind.  They are clueless on the road, they think they own the road, don't care for other road user.  I am the King of the road. 

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

Every day is a deadly day on the roads.

I wonder what's the average daily death count ovear a year compared to the number who die each day over the New Year period ?

I checked that once a few years back, the ratio between vehicles on the road and accidents is pretty much the same all year round.

More stupid on the road.....more accidents.....exponentially.

What the OP doesn't seem to realize is, that the majority of accidents involves motorcycles on the backstreets late at night, not on the highways where the speed anyway is slow due to the cheer number of vehicles. The checkpoint the police set up on the highways are just for show, nothing more, as they do little to stop the backstreet carnage by motorcyclists stumbling onto their bikes after a night at the local karaoke.....or the husband and wife who need to go to the local Pop and mom store to buy some more booze.......Often the motorcycle gets mangled while trying to cross one of those highways.....

I have a motorcycle kid in school, of the few students at the school who have a motorcycle, three died on the road the past term......

My mind goes to a recently circulated clip of a man on a motorcycle with a woman at the back, who shoots right out into oncoming traffic without even glancing anywhere, run over by a car instantly....

Edited by AlQaholic

33 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Fact is it is the motorcyclists that are dying as a result of accidents with cars/trucks. Not apportioning blame, yet most likely the motorbikes are more at fault than the speding cars/trucks. but that is how it is. Eliminate speed, and deaths and injuries will automatically reduce. Then  (and it should have been done ages ago) tackle the motorcyclists. most of whom have -or appear to have,  no idea about traffic rules, nor the presence of other vehicles on the road. . Put the age limit up to 16/17 for bikes,  down to 17 for small cars,enforce it, and get all the schoolkids off bikes!

Yes, I would agree that motorcyclists are dying/seriously injured disproportionately.  Some of your suggestions would make sense.

32 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

If you like driving in Thailand, you must be one of a kind.  They are clueless on the road, they think they own the road, don't care for other road user.  I am the King of the road. 

That's the thing, there are some stupid drivers on the road, in Thailand and elsewhere.  But I would suggest that they make up a small minority.  I drive every single day and it would be disingenuous of me to say that all or even most other drivers are clueless or think they own the road.  I can honestly say that I don't have a problem with most Thai drivers.  The drivers that annoy me the most are the slow and meek drivers, traits which are not confined to Thais.   

2 hours ago, akirasan said:

Same, my wife has banned me from driving/riding anywhere until after new years.  One of the few times I take her advice.  

Do you think it makes a difference what day you drive in thailand , every day is dangerous .

i agree the driving most be a lot  Bada on those days , but most days in thailand are that bad .

54 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

That's the thing, there are some stupid drivers on the road, in Thailand and elsewhere.  But I would suggest that they make up a small minority.  I drive every single day and it would be disingenuous of me to say that all or even most other drivers are clueless or think they own the road.  I can honestly say that I don't have a problem with most Thai drivers.  The drivers that annoy me the most are the slow and meek drivers, traits which are not confined to Thais.   

Not confined to Thais ? . 

If you not have a problem with thai driving then you are driving around with  blinkers on .

i am a  professional truck driver and have been driving big trucks for 35 years , and of what I have seen here in thailand is just a joke .

go and see how a thai gets his or hers driving license then you will understand how stupid the drivers are .

7 hours ago, onthesoi said:

I'd say the two are one in the same.

Perfectly safe to drive fast leaving enough distance, even slow speed shunt can cause serious damage, the misconception is 45kmh and 1 metre from your bumper is "ok" after all were whizzing thru space at 67k....mph 

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I am not saying anything will or will not make Thailand's roads safer

but...to compare Thailand & the USA is far off the mark

Road Fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year.......

USA = 10.6

Thailand = 36.2

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

That would be my worst nightmare. The same crazy kids driving cars instead of bikes.......carnage!

Driving a bike makes you aware of potential dangers on the road as you see more of whats around you. To put kids straight into cars with no knowledge of danger would be catastrophic for all road users. 

How many cars do we see driving through red lights on a daily basis because they think they are safe in their tin shell? Most car drivers that have no experience of driving a bike, have no awareness of other road users. 

4 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

I agree with " Berkshire " and know many others that would too,   one of a kind that's nonsense,  enforcing correct rider & car training instead of laws would be the way to go IMHO.