Unembossed ATM cards, can't do cash advance

So I went through all the trouble of getting a new ATM card (capitalone360) that has no foreign transaction fee, then found out they wouldn't do a cash advance on their ATM cards that don't have the raised letters for your name and card number. Both Bangkok Bank and Aryunthai were happily handing out money to a line of foreigners who had the older cards but refused the CapitalOne360 card. Of course, a phone call to capitalone360 got the response that they've never heard about that before and couldn't do anything about it.

I could withdraw from an ATM, but there's a 200 baht fee I was trying to avoid.

This is an info only post, so others will know about the issue.

New Chip cards have the same embossed Name and Numbers the as old if they are debit card (at least the two Visa cards I had issued in last six months do).  Are you perhaps talking about just an ATM use card?  

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

New Chip cards have the same embossed Name and Numbers the as old if they are debit card (at least the two Visa cards I had issued in last six months do).  Are you perhaps talking about just an ATM use card?  

No, it's a real ATM card with the numbers and name written on the card, not embossed. They wanted ONLY the raised letters. My guess is that they thought it was easier to forge the non-embossed ones. I found it funny that both Bangkok and Aryunthai bank said exactly the same thing. And yes, I did have my passport with the name matching the card.

You sure the real reason was because it didn't have embossed (raised) letters/numbers?    Or, maybe they tried to accomplish the transaction in their Point of Service machine and the transaction was rejected?   Or maybe they just don't accept debit cards for cash advances and made up an excuse instead of saying they don't accept any debit cards for cash advances---must use the ATM

I say that because I remember from older threads regarding CapOne debit (ATM) cards that due to the network they were using they wouldn't work in many countries outside the U.S. in ATMs.  I know you were attempting a counter/cash advance.   Purchases would work in stores just not in ATMs in some countries....and maybe problem extend to cash withdrawals whether attempted at an ATM or counter.  That was a CapOne caused problem.  

Additionally, many Bangkok Bank branches will not accept a debit (ATM) card for a cash advance (embossed or non-embossed)....they just point you to their ATM machine.  Happened to me.  But Bangkok Bank will accept credit cards as I use to do it regularly up to about a year ago when I switched to a new, closer Krungsri branch that accepts both credit and debit cards (I have used both)...and the credit card I use is non-embossed.  

And I really should say the issue of whether a Thai bank "branch" will accept a debit card seems to vary from branch to branch....instead they just point you to their ATM because they make a higher interchange fee from an ATM withdrawal which includes their Bt200 ATM Use fee along with the interchange fee compared to a counter cash advance where they just get the interchange fee.

Maybe there was a miscommunication as to the real reason as to why they didn't want to accept your ATM card for a cash advance.

On 01/04/2017 at 9:51 PM, Pib said:

You sure the real reason was because it didn't have embossed (raised) letters/numbers?    Or, maybe they tried to accomplish the transaction in their Point of Service machine and the transaction was rejected?   Or maybe they just don't accept debit cards for cash advances and made up an excuse instead of saying they don't accept any debit cards for cash advances---must use the ATM

I say that because I remember from older threads regarding CapOne debit (ATM) cards that due to the network they were using they wouldn't work in many countries outside the U.S. in ATMs.  I know you were attempting a counter/cash advance.   Purchases would work in stores just not in ATMs in some countries....and maybe problem extend to cash withdrawals whether attempted at an ATM or counter.  That was a CapOne caused problem.  

Additionally, many Bangkok Bank branches will not accept a debit (ATM) card for a cash advance (embossed or non-embossed)....they just point you to their ATM machine.  Happened to me.  But Bangkok Bank will accept credit cards as I use to do it regularly up to about a year ago when I switched to a new, closer Krungsri branch that accepts both credit and debit cards (I have used both)...and the credit card I use is non-embossed.  

And I really should say the issue of whether a Thai bank "branch" will accept a debit card seems to vary from branch to branch....instead they just point you to their ATM because they make a higher interchange fee from an ATM withdrawal which includes their Bt200 ATM Use fee along with the interchange fee compared to a counter cash advance where they just get the interchange fee.

Maybe there was a miscommunication as to the real reason as to why they didn't want to accept your ATM card for a cash advance.

Both of the banks mentioned specifically blamed it on the card not being embossed. They did not try to do the transaction. Both banks said yes they did cash advances on ATM cards, and the refusal came when they saw the unembossed card. Other clients were doing withdrawals from regular ATM cards in both banks. It was the first day they were open after New Year's and they had many foreigners who needed cash.

Bangkok Bank in the big central pattaya mall on the fourth floor definitely does ATM cash advances. I have no idea about credit cards since I was only interested in getting money from my atm card.

18 hours ago, Duenka said:

ATM card can do cash advance?

I just know
I think
"Only credit card can do cash advance "
@New knowledge for me@

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Here in Thailand when using your credit or debit card at the bank counter to get cash they routinely refer to it as a cash advance.  

Yes, with a debit card it's not really a cash advance like with a credit card.  But as mentioned they'll still refer to it as a cash advance whether it's a credit or debit card.  

Here in Thailand when using your credit or debit card at the bank counter to get cash they routinely refer to it as a cash advance.  

Yes, with a debit card it's not really a cash advance like with a credit card.  But as mentioned they'll still refer to it as a cash advance whether it's a credit or debit card.  

You're talking about the word "advance"?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes he is talking about the word - advance is what you get with a credit card where you have no funds invested - the card provides an advance and you pay later.  A debit card however has the funds available and immediately pays those funds so it is a withdrawal rather than an advance.  But bank folks here just know the cash is not physically in there hands in either case so call them both an advance.

To the OP: Is your card a credit card, debit card, or a basic ATM card which allows nothing other than cash withdrawals ? In the absence of this information, I would generally concur with Pib's response in Post # 4. I am not sure if front-counter bank staff know nor care which alternative would produce greater revenue for the bank. They do know that if they tell you to go to the ATM machine, then you are out of their hair, and that is their primary goal.  Most are relatively low paid, have never travelled internationally, and don't expect to do so in the forseeable future. They have no personal experience with the customer's problem, and no empathy either.

On 01/07/2017 at 1:27 PM, allane said:

To the OP: Is your card a credit card, debit card, or a basic ATM card which allows nothing other than cash withdrawals ? In the absence of this information, I would generally concur with Pib's response in Post # 4. I am not sure if front-counter bank staff know nor care which alternative would produce greater revenue for the bank. They do know that if they tell you to go to the ATM machine, then you are out of their hair, and that is their primary goal.  Most are relatively low paid, have never travelled internationally, and don't expect to do so in the forseeable future. They have no personal experience with the customer's problem, and no empathy either.

My capitolone360 ATM card is a MasterCard ATM debit card. I have used is for point of sale transactions many places in Thailand. I do have to differ with your assessment that they just want to get you out of their hair, at least in some cases. The Bangkok Bank lady was very helpful and said she could help me until she saw the unembossed card. The same time I was trying to do my withdrawal I would say 20% of the customers were doing cash advances, likely from both credit and ATM cards.

I don't think this situation can be blamed on the lazy Thai staff. A number of times they actually made phone calls to check if they could do the transaction and the result was always the same. Unembossed cards cannot do cash advances.

I just know the Bangkok Bank branch I use occasionally for cash withdrawals (a.k.a., counter withdrawal), told me on two separate occasions,  they do not do cash advances for debit cards; only credit cards.    At this branch I've used my no foreign transaction fee, no cash advance fee credit card numerous times for cash advances that I have already prepaid on my credit card account.

A person can find many similar posts on ThaiVisa regarding "debit" cards....some branches (of all Thai banks...not just Bangkok Bank) will accept them, but many will not....instead they just point  you to their ATM.   Seems to be a "branch" thing vs a HQ policy, except maybe for SCB.

Now the Krungsri branch I started using last year accept both credit cards and debit cards for cash advances....once or twice I have used both the credit and debit cards in on setting to get cash.   I've never tried another Krungsri branch so I can't speak to how another Krungsri branch deals with debit and credit cards for cash advances.

A lot will depend on the branch.  And if memory servers me right, SCB will not do cash advances on debit cards at any of their branches based on posts I've seen and I think one post even included the HQ SCB policy letter  it sent to it's branches saying don't do it for debit cards.   And based on the note in the lower left hand of their exchange rate page they use their own lower DCC rate for credit card cash advances....no mention of debit cards maybe because they don't accept debt card or technically you don't do a cash advance with a debit card since the money is not being advanced to you as it's just being withdrawn from you account....but over here they typically refer to a counter withdrawal with debit or credit card as a cash advance.