Panthip Plaza-CM Refurbishment 2017

scottiejohn

14 hours ago, elektrified said:

It's the new trend, putting McDonalds or KFC right across the street from each other. There's a few such situations around town. God forbid anyone should have to walk 200 meters to get junk food.

That Big C mini in Panthip is MUCH more expensive than Rimping - by a long shot!

On what planet is Big C more expensive than Rimping?

Generally speaking cheapest to most expensive in CM is: Makro<Big C<Tesco Lotus<Tops< Rimping.

I'll still drop into Rimping from time to time as there are things there you can't get anywhere else, but Big C kills them. Start at the vegetables and work your way through the store. Even the few imported goods Big C stock are cheaper than Rimping, not to mention that a 4 pack of Chang is 117 baht in Big C as well :)

Edit: you keep calling it a Big C Mini when it's not, it's a Big C market, there is however a Big C mini across the other side of the canal on Sridonchai Rd next to the book center (close to Pantip). Mini Big C's do tend to be a bit more expensive as they are convenience stores vs proper supermarkets. Are you confusing the two perhaps? 

Edited by lordblackader
forgot something

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, elektrified said:

That's the thing, and exactly why the initial concept at Tops Festival failed so miserably and they had to throw out a fortune in perished imported cheeses and deli meats as well as relocating the farang baker back to Bangkok. There was no demand at all. It looked too good to be true at the times - and it was.

While it couldnt sustain that size.. I am of the opinion that a well located (not downtown, somewhere a vehicle can get to and park) deli place.. Cold cuts, good cheese, antipasti etc would be able to sustain.. 

Hell if there was one on say canal rd north, still close to town, I would be in there weekly for my top ups and more to grab a cold cut plate when passing and I am sure I am not alone. 

23 hours ago, sanemax said:

It closed down

Part of the area was taken by a shop that sold all kinds of colorful useless tacky things, that were probably aimed at the Chinese and Japanese market. Big C then took over the whole section and now there's a pharmacy inside not far from the Big C entrance. I think a McDonalds, Pizza Hut and maybe a coffee place would be great there. Computer and other stores would certainly get more walk by traffic. Chiang Mai won't stop developing in this sort of area, even for those who don't want it to, and McDonalds is usually in faster than a bat out of hell. We've released the krakon and there's no stopping it now.

The Pharmacy has a sign up saying they are moving out altogether.

We do seem to going slightly 'off topic' but since it was my post I will make the following comment:

When you are talking about Rimping; do they still have a different price structure for the same item at different stores depending on the location's rent or have they stopped that?   That was their practice in the early 2000's.  I only ever visit one location now so cannot compare.

7 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

While it couldnt sustain that size.. I am of the opinion that a well located (not downtown, somewhere a vehicle can get to and park) deli place.. Cold cuts, good cheese, antipasti etc would be able to sustain.. 

Was just at the Nim City branch of Rimping so took a photo of the cheese and wine selection. At the chance of being labeled a fan, I think they do a pretty good job, especially since practically no Thais I know eat cheese or drink wine.

Rimping also have cold cuts, sushi, and some prepared dishes a la Whole Foods, but maybe not the most interesting. Seems it’s futile to compete with the freshly prepared street/market food just around the corner…

IMG_5806.jpg

IMG_5807.jpg

IMG_5808.jpg

IMG_5809.jpg

2 hours ago, lkn said:

Was just at the Nim City branch of Rimping so took a photo of the cheese and wine selection. At the chance of being labeled a fan, I think they do a pretty good job, especially since practically no Thais I know eat cheese or drink wine.

Rimping also have cold cuts, sushi, and some prepared dishes a la Whole Foods, but maybe not the most interesting. Seems it’s futile to compete with the freshly prepared street/market food just around the corner…

IMG_5806.jpg

IMG_5807.jpg

IMG_5808.jpg

IMG_5809.jpg

good selection but I can't get down to Pattaya to take a few snaps but the cheese selection looks great - it's totally rubbish at my local Rimping (small branch).  I stick to my opinion that COMPETITION is a good thing and Villa Market would be a nice alternative rather than more of the same.  Rimping thanks you for your devotion and tenacity.

I think we are all going off topic now.  If we want a discussion of which 'store/shop' is better and who has the best cheese lets start a new topic.

I opened this topic to highlight what appears to be happening at Panthip Plaza now that refurbishment notices are all over the place and that the management have not bothered to post any information in the building as to what is/is not happening in there. It was as much to let people to know to go up a level where they should be able to find their favourite little computer/tech shop rather than 'what should be there'. thread.

I admit I have added to the 'what should be in there 'aspect' and think that part of the discussion is worth continuing.

Depending on what goes in, I believe it could be good for the quieter part of the 'Nigh Bazaar area'.

36 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I think we are all going off topic now.  If we want a discussion of which 'store/shop' is better and who has the best cheese lets start a new topic.

I opened this topic to highlight what appears to be happening at Panthip Plaza now that refurbishment notices are all over the place and that the management have not bothered to post any information in the building as to what is/is not happening in there. It was as much to let people to know to go up a level where they should be able to find their favourite little computer/tech shop rather than 'what should be there'. thread.

I admit I have added to the 'what should be in there 'aspect' and think that part of the discussion is worth continuing.

Depending on what goes in, I believe it could be good for the quieter part of the 'Nigh Bazaar area'.

Welcome to the Chiang Mai ZOO

I have had the same problem

Even when advising for Information ONLY

And ask not to ask question

There so may people out there that Hijack forum post

I guess this is the Oldies way of passing time

22 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

And some hijack threads just to tell us how bad everybody else is :)

As for Panthip Plaza and Night Bazaar in general, maybe also a little off topic, but it seems that it’s “expanding” left and right.

First the international food market with live music (north west) then the expansion around the boxing arena (at least I had not noticed this part of the night bazaar until last year), and latest we have a new (Thai) food market south of the night bazaar, just opposite Panthip Plaza.

The latter initially looked small and provisional, but now they have done a building that looks like it will house some shops, food booths have tripled, and there have been plenty of customers when I walked by.

I do not know how well the northern “expansions” work, but seeing the new food market blossom and the new Big C makes me optimistic for this area.

I really hope they’ll soon get to the square diagonally opposite Panthip Plaza, this has looked awful for as long as I can remember. There seems to be an abandoned building behind the advertisement boards, which seems like a pretty good location.

And while dreaming, how about installing some red/green lights in the intersection for pedestrians? I have never figured out how pedestrians are supposed to cross Sridonchai Road.

Edited by lkn

1 minute ago, lkn said:

I think the (Thai) food market south of the night bazaar, just opposite Panthip Plaza.

was started to make way for more Parking at the patntip plazza

As they wee expecting more people to use the Big C

just my thoughts

• 6 months later...
16 hours ago, sanemax said:

McDonals now open there

Whoopee, 200m down the street from the next one! More fine dining choices!

Didn't see McD's but saw a KFC open. Basically they have opened up the ground floor and created micro size rental booths - a sign that people couldn't afford rent on the decent size shops. Then they have brought in the fast food to take up the slack with the rent. They always seem to have mysteriously deep pockets.

Well I can only say that the Villa Market I use in Pattaya is better than both by a mile!  much more selection and, to me, competition is what we need. We already have loads of Rimping's and Tops why not something new to Chiang Mai?
The Villa in Udon is as bad as BigC - nothing like the ones in Bangkok/Pattaya. I presume they feel that they can't compete with Rimping up here.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Welcome to the Chiang Mai ZOO

I have had the same problem

Even when advising for Information ONLY
And ask not to ask question
I guess this is the Oldies way of passing time

Because conversations never develop past the original topic...

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, lordblackader said:

I doubt a Starbucks or McDonalds will go in there given both have outlets less than 500 meters down the road at the Loi Kroh intersection, but other specialty shops are definitely welcome, even a KFC

Well despite all you doubters the new McD is open less than 30M from the KFC inside the same building.

Remember Pantip refurbishment  is an "ongoing" project!

14 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Well despite all you doubters the new McD is open less than 30M from the KFC inside the same building.

Remember Pantip refurbishment  is an "ongoing" project!

Yes, it opened on Thursday, I was there the day it opened, they had girls out the front handing out things.

Insane though - 2 McDonalds no more than 200-300m apart. 

Interesting though- Pantip seems to be dead during the day but I ducked in Friday night as well and it was surprisingly rather busy.

10 hours ago, fcgprg said:

It is busy most days from late afternoon and evening. at least that is my opinion on the numerous days I go at that time.

A massive improvement from 12 months ago again in my opinion.

Agreed, you could have fired a cannon in pantip 12 months ago and not hit anyone 95% of the day. Looking forward to seeing them finish the new fit out. 

20 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Yes, it opened on Thursday, I was there the day it opened, they had girls out the front handing out things.

Insane though - 2 McDonalds no more than 200-300m apart. 

Interesting though- Pantip seems to be dead during the day but I ducked in Friday night as well and it was surprisingly rather busy.

It's a new trend all over the city; McDonald's and KFC's right across the street from one another.

8 hours ago, grin said:

It may be half dead during the day but the few times I have shown up there before noon no parking spots were available in the garage downstairs.

No problem parking before 11 am when I have gone at that time. After 12 is a different matter though, difficult to park late afternoon some days.

Went to the KFC in PP the other day .

Quite surprised that theres no menu in English and no menu at all on paper .

Just four sign boards behind the counter with photos and Thai written .

Usually confusion at the counter with felangs asking for something, the workers not understanding and it ends up with felangs pointing at the photos and using sign language to denote the amount and whether big or small . 

Surely they could get a hold able English written menu ?

BTW , Zoe in Yellow will be closing down next May , the whole plot has been bought by developers