Open a restaurant take-away in Bangkok

Hello guys!

I need some advices as I might plan to open - at least I hope - a restaurant take-away in Bangkok.

I have been working in Thailand for 2 years now, under a non-immigrant visa B (therefore I have a work permit) and I was wondering what could be the possibilities to open a restaurant take-away here, in Bangkok. 

I wanna keep my actual job but I would like to make a little bit extra aside. I am still young  and it could be a good opportunity as I am not yet married. Also, as I am working either late, or very early I can keep an eye on my business.

Why take-away? In my point of view this type of restaurant offers the below advantages

• A good way to test the waters
  • I don't want to invest too much time and money, at the beginning
  • Allows to offer competitive prices 
  • More flexibility on business location

The type of food, I will be offering is Moroccan and as far as I know there are not that much north-african restaurant in Bangkok. I will open during afternoon only.

Thanks for the time you took to read my message and feel free to reply.

Doing business, especially restaurants, is time consuming and hard work. Finding employees can be challenging and from what you are saying, you will not be involved full time. I hope you have at least 1 very competent trusted employee already in mind. 

I also do not like to see when someone says that they are hoping to make a little money... that is usually not a good sign or a good way to start. A little money barely covers expenses in the best of times. 

Choose your location wisely - and best of luck to you. 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Doing business, especially restaurants, is time consuming and hard work. Finding employees can be challenging and from what you are saying, you will not be involved full time. I hope you have at least 1 very competent trusted employee already in mind. 

I also do not like to see when someone says that they are hoping to make a little money... that is usually not a good sign or a good way to start. A little money barely covers expenses in the best of times. 

Thanks for the reply. I want to be realistic. Thailand is not a paradise for foreigners wishing to invest and also because I am; as you mentioned, fully involved in it. The idea here is to get advices. I am hopefully happy with my job, I am just ambitious but realistic too :)

Edited by Myself2017TH

15 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Any other advices?

I don't know - I am not in that business and not really sure I know what you are making or how much room it will take... if you are getting a store front, why not have a couple of tables... or a counter... if not, then why not have some sort of street cart set-up? Save on rent... probably your 2 most important factors are going to be the quality of the food and your help, especially if you are not there all the time to witness the mistakes they will make... 

Who are your customers? And then evaluate their needs... the best does not have to be the cheapest... I would shoot for great food at a reasonable price... but run the numbers... how many "whatever" will you have to sell an hour to pay for your expenses... rent, employees, taxes, and always put aside 20% for miscellaneous... play those figures off against what it will cost you to get set up... good employees are hard to find and bad ones can cause you more aggravation than you could possibly imagine... they will do things beyond your ability to imagine... this is why small business owners are usually on the premises 16 hours a day... walk around with your eyes open and look... how often do I walk the mall and there is a small business and nobody in the shop? Most of my Thai friends with small businesses cannot find decent help... nobody will care about or work your business like you will... 

You say you have a work permit?

It allows you to do this?

Work permits are usually restrictly related to a current job.

As far as Moroccan food.... that sounds like a very limited taste.

Who is your target customer?

Work permits are issued for one employer and one location.

If you wish to do this you need to form a company with 2 million baht capital and employ 4 Thais (1Mbaht, 2 employee if married to Thai)

You will also need permission from your employer to add this new company and location to your work permit.

for this kind of business I only see a market at the Arab quarter (e.g. Soi 3 Sukhumvit). But to get a location there, a food stall, might be a challenge. Do you have a business plan? What is small investment money for you? Who are your customers? What is popular Moroccan food (take away)?

that's just a few questions beside the legal ones.

Without a reliable and smart girlfriend to rely on when you are not at the business, you have no chance.

In Bangkok your chance is small also, are you going to deliver 30kms away ?

Only pattaya gives you a chance to do any kind of delivery business, but many already exist and you won't be better.

Location relative to prospective customers is key.  I will assume that your target customers are affluent Thai's and foreigners.  I like Moroccan food but I guess even you would admit it's not well known.  Take out is great for foods that are well known: Thai, Chinese, Pizza etc.  You might consider dealing with these two issues by outfitting a food truck.  This way you can hit the high traffic locations for affluent Thai's and foreigners ... office districts for lunch, hang out areas after work and outside of night time entertainment areas in the evening.  Be prepared to sample heavily, people don't know the food, and stay flexible on the menu ... maybe introduce one or two well known/liked middle eastern or Turkish items, if something is not selling try something else (flexible menus).  BTW, others have made this point but there is no restaurant business that runs on autopilot, you have to be prepared to work hard.

This is the worst idea I have heard which will result in more pain, time and money than anyone should invest in a long time. Did you get here yesterday??  Unless you can be a silent partner and put the whole thing in a very trusted Thais name than you are a glutton for punishment.

This is the worst idea I have heard which will result in more pain, time and money than anyone should invest in a long time. Did you get here yesterday??  Unless you can be a silent partner and put the whole thing in a very trusted Thais name than you are a glutton for punishment.

To open a restaurant as foreigner in Thailand, you will need a Thai partner or two, owing at least 51% of the business – presumable also a Thai company limited, with 2 million baht registered and paid-in capital, and 4 Thai employees, to qualify for one Work Permit for you (your existing WP is limited to your actual work place only) – furthermore you'll need to check what kind of job you as foreigner will be allowed to do in the company, as some work is restricted to Thais only.

I cannot judge if you suggested business is a good idea or not – check for potential clients and competitors in that local area you're thinking of. Wish you good luck with your project...:smile:

The idea is commendable, the realization is that part time overall supervision will not work.

If not working elsewhere I would say plan well & go for it.My wife & I have a small business in food &

we work a combined 27 hours a day, most days. We know that would not work without us present most

of the time

On 12/01/2017 at 8:58 AM, Andyfez said:

You say you have a work permit?

It allows you to do this?

Work permits are usually restrictly related to a current job.

As far as Moroccan food.... that sounds like a very limited taste.

Who is your target customer?

Hello 

Sorry for the late reply.

No, my work permit doesn't allow me to do this type of job.

It's not that limited

Customers: Bangkokians - thai and expats 

On 12/01/2017 at 1:34 PM, chilli42 said:

Location relative to prospective customers is key.  I will assume that your target customers are affluent Thai's and foreigners.  I like Moroccan food but I guess even you would admit it's not well known.  Take out is great for foods that are well known: Thai, Chinese, Pizza etc.  You might consider dealing with these two issues by outfitting a food truck.  This way you can hit the high traffic locations for affluent Thai's and foreigners ... office districts for lunch, hang out areas after work and outside of night time entertainment areas in the evening.  Be prepared to sample heavily, people don't know the food, and stay flexible on the menu ... maybe introduce one or two well known/liked middle eastern or Turkish items, if something is not selling try something else (flexible menus).  BTW, others have made this point but there is no restaurant business that runs on autopilot, you have to be prepared to work hard.

Hey.

Food truck would be a good option. Will investigate on it....

Thanks

A food van or truck would probably be your best and cheapest option to start as you would have the flexibility to move to different locations, once you have found a good location where your food sells well maybe then invest in a restaurant or take away outlet in that area.

I'm not sure you realise how much work is involved with this type of business , me and the missus ran a successful thai food van in the UK but when we started we had no idea of the amount of work involved, for every hour you are trading actually selling your food add 2 hours for preparation and cleaning, for example trading for 4 hours is actually 12 hours of work.

We sold only good quality products produced with the best quality ingredients, we weren't the cheapest but we and our customers agree that we were the best and we did make a good living out of it.

Another thing I would suggest is that as morrocan cuisine isn't that known here that you give away a lot of free samples so that prospective customers can try something they may not buy if they don't know what it is or what it tastes like. Also ask people who try the food what they think and would they buy this food at x amount of money and how often would they try this food. A little market research will save you hours of sitting there selling nothing.

Lastly your going to need thai staff and your going to have to give them some incentive to make your model work this will probably be one of your biggest problems and i'm not sure I have an answer to.

On 1/10/2017 at 8:45 PM, Myself2017TH said:

I need some advices as I might plan to open - at least I hope - a restaurant take-away in Bangkok.

My advice: Start by working at an existing take-away in Bangkok for 3-6 months to learn what you actually have to deal with.

If you are savvy you could try and make it online orders only through food panda and automate delivery times 5pm onwards. Test your skills and menu. Not entirely sure how you do it here but plenty of food start ups began that way in london/uk