Do you spend an embarrassing amount of time hanging out at the malls?

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, puffy said:

Yes but the op manages to do both at the same time. Now as he is doing both is it double the waste of time, or half the waste of time?

Most of my posting is not done at malls. But I post from everywhere. Baht buses are good. Not on the toilet though ... 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Malls in Thailand are generally excellent (IMO)...  I've just come back from Central World - its convenient, has quick, easy and free Valet parking...  

We enjoyed a nice lunch while my Son had a nap in his pushchair, after which we left my Son (3 yrs) old with the Nanny while my Wife and I wisked through a few shops to pick up a few items we needed before coming home. 

I wouldn't 'hang out' in a Mall, I go when I need or want something. I'm not sure what all the hate is on this thread for these malls - they are comfortable, clean, convenient.. (sometimes a little too noisy if a sales girl is screeching down a microphone)... 

I would agree that restaurant-wise there are generally better options outside of malls, but that doesn't mean there aren't some good options in the malls. For someone like me that is so restaurant focused eating only in malls wouldn't cut it. 

Well at least when living here you got the option of getting out everyday. Not much fun going out in Northern EU during the winters, it's freezing cold much of the time.

I think if I lived alone here, I would spend much time motorbike touring, sitting in the bars also gets boring pretty quickly.

Check out the travel forum, one guy rode 3 month around in Vietnam on a small local motorbike and the beautiful photos he posted strongly indicates he had a blast, he was really out on the deep countryside where not many tourist come and many wanted to speak to him for practicing their English skills.

Beats the malls any day of the week but okay I know JT don't use own transportation here.

Admitted I sometime use Central on beach road as exercise ground, walk all the floors from top to bottom. This is handy during the hot months and during Sonkla water festival. I prefer walking in there compare walking on some treadmill in a gym.

2 hours ago, puffy said:

Yes but the op manages to do both at the same time. Now as he is doing both is it double the waste of time, or half the waste of time?

LOL> I'd say half the waste of time.

My point was that everyone is just coasting along, killing hours, days and years until they are no more.

Who's to say what's a waste of time and what isn't.

If posting on Thaivisa all day long is causing stress, then that's not good, but if it's fun - why not?

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Really? I don't hang out at malls, I enjoy a look around, then go on my way, but I would rather sit in a mall looking at pretty girls than in a dentist chair, unless, Oh! wait.

No disrespect.

But, hanging out in a shopping mall in Thailand.

What a nonsense  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dead beat stuff for some ex-pats or people who are just to old.

Retire in Thailand and go sit in a mall.

get a life sex -pats.

what's the point in looking at pretty girls in malls.

just go to the nearest bar and fill your boots,   up stairs.

come on sex pats, of Pattaya,  get with the program.

I spend nearly as much time in malls as most expats I observe spend in bars. I like the idea of being able to wonder around in relatively clean air and surroundings; commodities that are pretty rare these days. However, there's no point critizing others who wish to follow their own lifestyles because with maturity and wisdom one cares little about what others think. Each to his own.

11 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah, I have no need at all top deal with shopping malls what with the traffic to get there then the parking nightmare only to have to "mingle" with rude strangers.

Thanks all the same though but the way I currently do things suits me perfectly.

If I had to get there by car I probably wouldn't go either. On a motorcycle it's never a problem, even in the heaviest traffic.

1 hour ago, onemorechang said:

No disrespect.

get a life sex -pats.

Sooner or later your "sexpat" days will be over. What then? Malls?

You'll probably find a lot of "sexpats" graduated to become "mallpats".

Currently I'm a gympat/homepat/mallpat hybrid.:smile:

I hang out in the malls once in a while just for a coffee and watch the world go by , it's air-con and I can dress normal, don't have to look like a beach troll all day.  

Do I buy anything else? Nope, maybe lunch that's all.  

7 hours ago, tropo said:

Sooner or later your "sexpat" days will be over. What then? Malls?

You'll probably find a lot of "sexpats" graduated to become "mallpats".

Currently I'm a gympat/homepat/mallpat hybrid.:smile:

Could be sky diving time when to old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock1:

But up to people what they do, as always in Thailand.

i just don't get the mall thing.

but i spent the last 20 years of my working life in a fully sealed, air conditioned environment, with over head fluorescent lighting, white walls,   white desks..

not many windows.

I'm buggered if i want to go back into that sort of environment,  for fun !!!!!!!!!!!

when its warm,  real sunlight  and more interesting outside.

I only do air con environments for fun ,  

at Go Go bars

. ( good eye candy you can sample if wanted)

Up stairs at soi 6   ( as always,   better to have air con )

Or one of the nice restaurants around Jomtien  ( Mata Hari ) for one, . Aroy)  :thumbsup: not been for so long now

Other than that,  its out side,   no air con.

I'm a bit of a gym-pat,  home -pat,  sex pat,  golf pat,, booze-Pat and more.

Mall-pat , no thank you :jap:

Doing monthly shopping does not count, its not hanging out       ( Makro,  Lotus, Jomtien )

Edited by onemorechang

8 hours ago, onemorechang said:

No disrespect.

get a life sex -pats.

Anytime I have wanted girls I have never had to pay for them, in fact two once approached me in a mall, and I got a date with one of them, a meal for two and a taxi were my only expense.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Anytime I have wanted girls I have never had to pay for them, in fact two once approached me in a mall, and I got a date with one of them, a meal for two and a taxi were my only expense.

Lol

Oh please,

Can you start a new thread on that,  i will come and play. :partytime2:

59 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Were they university educated hi-so super models?

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

OK. Suggest a title:happy:

is sex in a long term relationship just paid prostitution ?

what is your wife's real job ?

Is it possible to find true long term love and happiness  in Thailand ?

Picking up sales girls in Malls ,  is it sleeping with the enemy ?

How's that for a few ? :shock1:   :biggrin:

52 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

is sex in a long term relationship just paid prostitution ?

what is your wife's real job ?

Is it possible to find true long term love and happiness  in Thailand ?

Picking up sales girls in Malls ,  is it sleeping with the enemy ?

How's that for a few ? :shock1:   :biggrin:

OK. Noted.:thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Were they university educated hi-so super models?

I don't think so, the one I dated worked in the office of a security firm. She said she was at college, maybe that means she was university educated, but definitely not hi-so, her mother worked in a street stall.

10 hours ago, balo said:

I hang out in the malls once in a while just for a coffee and watch the world go by , it's air-con and I can dress normal, don't have to look like a beach troll all day.  

Do I buy anything else? Nope, maybe lunch that's all.  

Why can't you dress normally if you are not in a mall?

I wear jeans and casual shoes (Rockport), usually with a plain black T-shirt or a short sleeved shirt, no matter where I'm going.   The only time I don't wear jeans is if I'm going to a nice party, or out to dinner in which case I'll wear a suit or dinner jacket depending on the event.

I don't understand people who wander around looking like beach bums unless they are actually on holiday, in which case I guess it's understandable.

I wear jeans and casual shoes (Rockport), usually with a plain black T-shirt or a short sleeved shirt, no matter where I'm going.   The only time I don't wear jeans is if I'm going to a nice party, or out to dinner in which case I'll wear a suit or dinner jacket depending on the event.

I don't understand people who wander around looking like beach bums unless they are actually on holiday, in which case I guess it's understandable.

I guess it depends on the location. When I lived in Bangkok I always wore jeans.. But in Pattaya I do as the locals, most of them are laid back and ready for the beach. But if I know I will spend my day in the malls or go see a movie I'm back in my jeans..

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

LOL> So you think if you're wearing jeans you're dressing well? Do you wear the ones with holes? Apart from not looking good, or dressy in the slightest, they are the most uncomfortable item of clothing anyone could wear in a tropical climate.